Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

I think the Morris Museum of Art should buy the vacant golf gardens property on Reynolds Street. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a nice three- or four-story art museum overlooking the pristine Savannah River? I'm quite sure the North Augusta residents along Shoreline Drive would rather look at a beautiful museum than to have to listen to the noise of a ballpark.

Come on, Deke. Go by and look at the baseball facility at Lake Olmstead. It's got grass and soil from the Augusta National. The facility is paid for and absolutely gorgeous.

If the Richmond County Sheriff's Office would get the ones selling the hot guns - and believe me they know who they are - there wouldn't be so many kids killed. These kids aren't going to a store and buying a gun, because most of them are too young. To me, the people who are selling the hot guns and other hot stuff are just as guilty as the ones pulling the trigger.

Incongruous bumper stickers: Car one, an "Obama '08" sticker and a "Retired Army" sticker. Doesn't this person remember the devastation done to our military by Jimmy Peanut, Slick Willie and Sen. Obama? Car two, "Obama '08" and "You can have my pistol when you pry my cold dead fingers from it." Doesn't this person know that Obama and his friends (Biden, Clinton, Reid and Pelosi) are attempting to eliminate our Second Amendment right to own a gun?

Based on the hoopla surrounding the Tim Tebow Super Bowl commercial, apparently the only choice that is supported by the pro-choice group is one that ends the life of an unborn child. Some choice.

OK, I am all for a free dialogue, but almost 500 online posts on your site, and most of them private conversations between a handful of posters. I suggest a daily limit; I don't have time for so much childish self-indulgence.

Rave to both candidates in the District 22 runoff. Stuck to the issues and avoided personal attacks. Hope other people running for office see how a race should be run.

A rant to Rep. Ben Harbin for voting "no" this week to automatically give the step pay increase for teachers earning leadership degrees. You want us to teach our children, continue our education, obtain a higher degree, miss the time with our families, work way over 40 hours a week and then not receive compensation? I'm glad I don't live in your district because there is nothing worse than angry teachers who have the right to vote, Mr. Harbin.

Rave to Augusta citizens for the "outcry" against downtown parking meters. Your editorial reads: "Good for the public!" Now, to take that same kind of outcry to Atlanta, Columbia and Washington, D.C.

Tell us what you think
Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/09/10 - 08:29 pm
CBBP: I think Zeno was

CBBP: I think Zeno was referring to Corgi's "poll question" (which is a violation of TOS but who's watching?).

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/09/10 - 08:29 pm
I avoid any and all ventures

I avoid any and all ventures in which she might make money from it!

corgimom
corgimom 02/09/10 - 08:33 pm
Aye, why, oh WHY, are

Aye, why, oh WHY, are teachers supposed to be "all about the children"? When they go to buy a house or a car, does the bank say "You can have it for free, it's all about the children"? When they go to Kroger to buy food, does Kroger say "You get free food, it's all about the children"? When someone goes back to school to earn an advanced degree, does the university say "You can attend for free, it's all about the children"? Do you work for free? Why not? Why don't you dedicate your life "for the children", since you think that's such a wonderful idea? Who would do that?

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/09/10 - 08:36 pm
Corgi: Would you mind, in the

Corgi: Would you mind, in the future, if your going to call me out like that, at least include the post to which you respond?

I'm not going looking for it.

corgimom
corgimom 02/09/10 - 08:41 pm
Um...calling you out?

corgimom
corgimom 02/09/10 - 08:44 pm
And Aye, by all means, write

And Aye, by all means, write in your vote for worst President! That's where the thoughtful, interesting debates gets going. Me- LBJ, Vietnam and welfare; Carter, the terrible recession of the 80's that we never have really recovered from.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/09/10 - 08:46 pm
Corgimom posts: Um...calling

Corgimom posts: Um...calling you out? Remember this? "Why not get the advanced degrees to better educate our children? Or is it all about the Benjamins? " The post that you wrote earlier today?

Yes, when you respond to a poster by name, and not by the post, it's considered calling out. I didn't recognize the quote you attribute to me, so my confusion should be understandable.

Your "all about the children" quote is inaccurate, therefore the rest of your diatribe of 8.33 pm is irrelevant.

As for "is it all about the Benjamins"... you assume that I have a problem if the answer is yes?

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/09/10 - 08:50 pm
Teaching is a noble

Teaching is a noble profession and I'd be very concerned of the mental capacity and judgment abilities of any person who became a teacher to earn an above average income due to the fact teaching is a relatively low paying career when considering the job description.

Teachers I know and love, will not deny they are motivated by educating the kids first, monetary compensation second.

happychimer
19503
happychimer 02/09/10 - 08:51 pm
usafvet I am proud of myself

usafvet I am proud of myself and who I am.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/09/10 - 08:54 pm
I would have loved to become

I would have loved to become a teacher. I did not for three reasons: Kids would have been strongly disciplined, costing me legal fees. Parents who did not back me up when constructive criticism was given would not be welcome in my classroom, and body armor is not a tax deductible item.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/09/10 - 08:56 pm
I don't have the information

I don't have the information required to form an opinion of the "worst president ever" therefore I'll set a good example by not offering an opinion.

corgimom
corgimom 02/09/10 - 08:57 pm
Well, I'm not a teacher, nor

Well, I'm not a teacher, nor do I ever want to be one, but I do volunteer for free. As in no monetary compensation. And I wasn't calling you out, if you want to take it that way, well, OK. It's called a "response" to your post.

KSL
KSL 02/09/10 - 08:59 pm
My husband is a born teacher,

My husband is a born teacher, but teaching has not been his main vocation. He taught on the side for a few years right out of college at night for extra money. However, throughout his main vocation, he has done lots of teaching unofficially. Trained a lot of current professionals. I'm betting he will teach part time if he ever retires.

corgimom
corgimom 02/09/10 - 09:02 pm
Aye- I wasn't quoting you on

Aye- I wasn't quoting you on my 8:33 post. I fully understand the proper use of quotation marks. Don't understand why you took it that way, but ok.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/09/10 - 09:04 pm
Corgimom sez; "I saw Jane

Corgimom sez; "I saw Jane Fonda and Tom Hayden speak back in the 70's. Hanoi Jane."
_____________________________________

I saw her speak in Hanoi, (live TV). Broke every fiber of my heart. Until that day, she could have been my all time favorite actress. Today, I wouldn't look at her if she was sitting next to me!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/09/10 - 09:07 pm
Hi KSL, what happened? I

Hi KSL, what happened? I asked if you knew a certain person, and you never got back to me! Is there a problem?

countyman
countyman 02/09/10 - 09:09 pm
Corgimom. The land for the

Corgimom. The land for the Flournoy Development has about 14 bulldozers clearing over 70 acres of land. Go drive and see the growth with your own eyes. After the land clearing is done the residential will go up. The growth is upon us.

KSL
KSL 02/09/10 - 09:12 pm
Didn't get your question,

Didn't get your question, sarge. Try again. Sorry.

KSL
KSL 02/09/10 - 09:17 pm
countryman, I do hate clear

countryman, I do hate clear cutting. It's how it has been done in Atlanta Metro for years and now has invaded the CSRA. I know it saves the developer money, but geeze. Blame government (feds with their unfunded mandates on down to snobby local governments) for making development costs go up so much that developers have to resort to that in order to make it cost effective.

corgimom
corgimom 02/09/10 - 09:40 pm
Thanks, Countyman, but I've

Thanks, Countyman, but I've seen bare dirt and pine trees before. And there is a big difference between cleared raw land and sold houses. There are lots of half-sold developments all over the US. You seem to think that every lot will sell and that every house that gets built, gets sold. Lots of developers have gone bankrupt that way.

KSL
KSL 02/09/10 - 10:09 pm
Eventually those lots will be

Eventually those lots will be sold. Bankrupt developers not withstanding. Price point will collide with utility at some point.

Sickness closes all McDuffie County schools

One day after closing an elementary because of excessive absences caused by an outbreak of influenza, strep infection and stomach viruses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to enact an ...