Miss Augusta Pageant Saturday night

Five women will compete Saturday night for the title of Miss Augusta 2010 in the 35th annual Miss Augusta Scholarship Pageant.

The contestants for Miss Augusta are Nina Talukdar, Tiffani Nail, Brittany Hill, Rachael Starkey and Victoria Stewart.

Also Saturday, six teens will compete in the fifth annual Miss Augusta Outstanding Teen contest, which is open to ages 13 to 17. They are Haley Newman, Leah Via, Alexandra Acree, Brittany Danielle Perkins, Samantha Henning and Heather Hyatt.

Ten women will compete for the title in the second annual Miss Savannah River Pageant, including Ramie Partan, Alexa Turpin, Raven Hall, Emily McIntosh, Whitley Cooper, Morgan Lothridge, Jessica Black, Abby Killough, Amanda Erwin and Brittany McCalla.

Three teens will compete for the title of Miss Savannah River Outstanding Teen. They are Amelia Hunt, Kendyl Pennington and Kayla Kirkland.

The winners of the pageants, being held at Augusta State University's Grover C. Maxwell Performing Arts Theatre, will represent Augusta in the Miss Georgia Pageant and the Miss Georgia Outstanding Teen Pageant, to be held in Columbus in June.

The areas of competition include interview, talent, lifestyle and fitness and evening wear.

The program will be held at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 and children under 10 are $5. All proceeds benefit the scholarship program .

At 10 a.m., the Wee , Tiny , Lil , Pre Teen , Jr. Teen and Teen Miss programs will also be held.

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/05/10 - 05:52 pm
21 out of 24 contestants are

21 out of 24 contestants are white.. doesn't seem very representative overall of the area's demographics.

momma mia
momma mia 02/05/10 - 05:55 pm
And who's fault is that,

And who's fault is that, Emerydan? Could it be that the other races represented in this area didn't enter or that they think pageants are a silly waste of time?

Only_The_Truth
Only_The_Truth 02/05/10 - 06:01 pm
I wander how many non-blacks

I wander how many non-blacks are entered in the Miss Black Augusta pageant??

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 02/05/10 - 06:09 pm
Emery, you can't force folks

Emery, you can't force folks to enter based on demographics.

Lp_J
Lp_J 02/05/10 - 06:51 pm
why enter when they won't get

why enter when they won't get a legitimate chance at winning

Lp_J
Lp_J 02/05/10 - 06:51 pm
why enter when they won't get

why enter when they won't get a legitimate chance at winning

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/05/10 - 06:55 pm
Aren't these beauty pageants

Aren't these beauty pageants just plain silly to begin with?

Jake
Jake 02/05/10 - 07:05 pm
Well they are all very lovely

Well they are all very lovely and I'm sure it will come down to the wire. If Leah Via (#13 in the slide show) wants to win then she should find some way to get rid of the Olin Mills tattoo on her shoulder.

Jake
Jake 02/05/10 - 09:07 pm
So how do I get into Murphy's

So how do I get into Murphy's Village? #6 & #10 look great but a little mature. So far my money is on #15. At least she takes a great picture. I wonder if they will ask them how they feel about gay marriage?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/05/10 - 09:09 pm
Emery, you need to go clean

Emery, you need to go clean your glasses. #4 is very pretty and doesn't look anything like one of those Gypsy-girls. Have to agree with Jake...these girls are all very lovely and I think the area is well represented. I'm sure all the parents of these girls are very proud of them. Beauty pageants are all about poise, self-confidence, charm, and, yes, beauty. What's wrong with that? And besides the titles, the girls earn scholarships. Again, what's wrong with that? Nothing. Good luck girls!

dougk
dougk 02/05/10 - 09:19 pm
I believe a number of the

I believe a number of the comments here should be reason enough to abandon this antiquated "meat on a rack" production Why aren't the women participating in these events the first to protest??

tnjsw
tnjsw 02/05/10 - 09:38 pm
I did not know there was a

I did not know there was a law you had to have a certain number from groups. The race card will be played forever.

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/05/10 - 10:41 pm
No one said there needs to be

No one said there needs to be a law.. but this is supposed to represent "Augusta". When you have 90% of the contestants are all of one race when Augusta is pretty much split equally racially, it makes you wonder. Or maybe the sistahs just find these silly events antiquated and beneath them.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/05/10 - 10:59 pm
You are warped.

You are warped.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/05/10 - 11:06 pm
I'd vote #1 over them all for

I'd vote #1 over them all for any category. lol I also liked 3, 4 and 15, but they didn't even smile in their pics. Didn't feel like I got all the beauty and a pleasant warm welcoming representation of which ever event. lol

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/05/10 - 11:13 pm
when's the cottillion down at

when's the cottillion down at 12 Oaks?

Jake
Jake 02/05/10 - 11:15 pm
Of course I would take my

Of course I would take my wife over any of these young women!
OK, now she is not looking over my shoulder, I still think #15 is a winner.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/05/10 - 11:23 pm
#3 and #15 are each almost as

#3 and #15 are each almost as nice as my wife.

Jake
Jake 02/05/10 - 11:33 pm
Save that for next weekend

Save that for next weekend when it is Valentines Day. She must be looking over your shoulder to.

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/06/10 - 12:09 am
If asked about gay marriage

If asked about gay marriage they should answer that they take a moderate, middle of the road position: Gay people can get engaged.

pageant
pageant 02/06/10 - 12:50 am
For those of you that don't

For those of you that don't know this program is a schlorship program and part of the largest for young ladies in the United States . This local program is a preliminary to Miss Georgia and Miss America and before you slam how about getting the facts straight . Miss America that won last week happened to have been black , intelligent and beautiful . Any one that wants to participate is more than welcomed . This program is not new . It has been an Augusta tradition for 35 years plus .

athome
athome 02/06/10 - 01:02 am
The black community holds a

The black community holds a seperate contest: "Miss Black GA, etc..." all the way to the Ms. Black America level. Most of the black girls obviously choose to compete in that series of contests.

1941
1941 02/06/10 - 09:59 am
These young ladies could all

These young ladies could all pass for twenty-one or older !!!

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 02/06/10 - 10:24 am
How is it that nothing

How is it that nothing discussed in Augusta can get more than five posts without a racist comment?