Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

I JUST READ THE rant from a smoker/drinker who is complaining about "self-righteous" people infringing on his right to smoke and drink. If he has a right to smoke, then I have a right to breathe clean air. If I walk by him on the street while he is smoking, he is infringing on my rights. If he has a right to drink, then I have a right to not get run over by him while he is driving. I'm all for his right to mess up his body however he wants, as long as his actions don't infringe on my rights to a healthy, whole life.

THE HIPPOCRATIC OATH is taken by medical students to earn their M.D. degree. I don't think it has an exception to the oath saying except for people who smoke, are obese or on Medicare. Hippocrates was called the "Father of Medicine."

I'M ALL EARS. Obama was teasing, but it's getting close. I am getting so tired. Re­pub­lican, Democratic, Re­pub­lican, Democratic. Work together. This is 2010. Make it a Christian United States.

THE HAITIANS DON'T want our military to assist in bringing relief, so why don't we just leave? It sure would save the United States a lot of money.

I HAVE A RANT. I am tired of all these young boys killing one another. I feel like they all need to try to get along with one another. A coward totes a gun. Back in my days, when you had a disagreement with someone, you had a fist fight, and the best man would win. Nowadays, you've got a lot of cowards toting guns. Let's all grow up.

CITY OF AUGUSTA, why don't you cut the commissioner s' salaries 15 percent? All the department heads' salaries need to be cut 15 percent, too.

I, ALONG WITH several others, was a victim of a thief who broke into my car and stole my purse as I walked the track at Warren Road Park. Do not leave anything in your car if you walk that track.

IF A BAN ON cell phone use while driving doesn't lower accidents, it's only because people who don't use cell phones are watching out for the red-light runners who do use them.

COLUMBIA COUNTY, YOU probably don't have to build so many schools. If you checked the cars that bring the students to school, you would see Richmond County tags. Find out where they really live.

THE SAD THING ABOUT this administration is not so much that they are out of touch with mainstream America. The sad thing is they have no idea they are out of touch.

I LOVE THE NEW Augusta Chronicle online. Much better!

Tell us what you think
BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/02/10 - 05:11 am
A Rant to the "street

A Rant to the "street mentality". There was a shooting on 12th St about 1:45am. The victim was hit in the leg and his injuries do not appear to be life threatening. While waiting for the ambulance to arrive and take him to MCG, it took the deputy about 10 mins to get the victim to agree to file charges. So this young man is lying there on the ground bleeding and is still thinking about covering for the other that shot him. Y'all think this "might" be part of the problem?

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/02/10 - 03:20 am
a. I smoke. I drink. I try to

a. I smoke. I drink. I try to be considerate but dislike having laws shoved down my throat to substitute for others lack of courtesy or common sense.
b. Have you hugged a Dr today?
c. ... and the wolf shall lie down with the lamb.
d. It's not about money. It's about doing what's right.
e. I'll buy you the beverage of your choice, anytime, anywhere. I could not say it better.
f: Ranter says Commissioners are overpaid and spoiled. I wouldn't take the job for 4x the money. Save money: cut middle management first.
g. "I went for a walk and my car got broke into" sounds like a blonde joke.
h: Ban all things dangerous! Save us! Start with water, which is highly toxic in mass quantities and doesn't agree with the human need to breathe.
i: Ranter has never heard of people dropping other's children off to school. Wanted: Aunts, Gramma's, this means you!
k: Wow. I am so shocked. I mean, hasn't every American grown up in Indonesia & Hawaii, attended Harvard Law, became a multi-millionaire authour, and rocketed to political fame and fortune? Obama is one of us!
l: The best feature of the new layout, IMO, is the interaction of the staff of the AC. Not just the liaison Mr. Moores, but the columnists, reporters, and editors' interaction greatly enhances the value. Kudos to the AC.

bettyboop
bettyboop 02/02/10 - 04:11 am
I want Summer..... having my

I want Summer..... having my first cup of coffee outside....ice tea...morning swims...BBq's...long days....dinner on the ground after Church.....toasted marshmallows....lightning bugs.......(sigh.... only three months to go)

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/02/10 - 04:49 am
Happy Groundhog Day to all!

Happy Groundhog Day to all! "For as the sun shines on Candlemas Day, so far will the snow swirl in May..."

bettyboop
bettyboop 02/02/10 - 05:06 am
NO...say it ain't so Bet!

NO...say it ain't so Bet!

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/02/10 - 05:07 am
BB- I couldn't agree

BB- I couldn't agree more..about summer. Somebody tell me if we even have groundhogs here in GA....and who cares anyway if they see their shadow or not? If they don't see their shadow, are they still vermin? Why is me smoking any of your business? Doctors all say the same politically correct stuff...following the lead of their pharmaceutical suppliers. In Col Co it appears some parents are getting smarter about their children;s education...because RC children aren't as likely to excel they secret them away into CC schools....not right, but a good strategy if they maintain the facade. RC just loses more tax money for education...maybe the census will reflect something closer to the truth...more rain today...working inside today...watching my news12 team deliver the best newscast in town...love the Jenny cam ...anybody up?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/02/10 - 05:35 am
Don't confuse what suffering

Don't confuse what suffering Haitians want with what their criminally stupid government officials say they want. It's important to remember that they are shills for the UN and French interests, and it's no secret where the US stands with those entities.

bettyboop
bettyboop 02/02/10 - 05:59 am
LOl zeno ..don't they have a

LOl zeno ..don't they have a "General Lee" around here somewhere?.....

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/02/10 - 06:03 am
In response to "...all ears".

In response to "...all ears". If everybody had the same opinion, government wouldn't be necessary.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/02/10 - 06:04 am
never bring a fist to a gun

never bring a fist to a gun fight.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/02/10 - 06:06 am
If you don't want something

If you don't want something stolen from your car, don't leave it in your car.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/02/10 - 06:07 am
To enforce a ban on cell

To enforce a ban on cell phone use while driving, the police would have to put down their cell phones.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/02/10 - 06:11 am
Why does Groundhogs Day fall

Why does Groundhogs Day fall during black history month? Should I be insulted?

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 02/02/10 - 06:16 am
The US has consistantly sent

The US has consistantly sent the military in to disaster areas first because they are the fastest to be able to mobilize and because there needs to be order in the midst of chaos. We have, on very few occassions, been praised by those being helped and the world. The situation in Haiti is not one of those times. I think Obama thought that the world would be in love with his decisions no matter what and is now finding out that any affiliation with the US hurts his image and personal appeal because of other country's dissent with America. We need to pass up a major world disaster just once for the world to find out who butters their bread.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/02/10 - 06:23 am
Yes..folks should be able to

Yes..folks should be able to smoke & drink..just don't blow your smoke my way & don't drink & drive..(we can't stop it anyway)..bettyboop ... I miss all the great things about summer too..U made it sound ssoooo inviting..in fact if I lived closer I can see some of us on here together enjoying those nice summer nites...lol

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/02/10 - 06:25 am
cliff, brother, it's all

cliff, brother, it's all O-tay! Today is Candlemas for the Anglo Saxons of the Middle Ages. You know, the Knights Templar and all of that? Nothing to take offense to.....

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/02/10 - 06:27 am
OT, that might hurt the Big

OT, that might hurt the Big O's chances of being elected King of the World!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/02/10 - 06:28 am
Good Morning Augusta,

Good Morning Augusta, Disgusta and all ghettos in between!

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/02/10 - 06:36 am
Clif your 606am post,,, Don't

Clif your 606am post,,, Don't leave it in your car... Think about this.. You work out of town.. you have to have your laptop with U. plus luggage.U have the urge to go to the bathroom..soooo do U try to carry everything inside with U..suppose U can't carry everything...U just can't take it all wuth U 100% of the time..not to mention heavy equip. that some have to take with them(such as med. equip) I know some folks who have lost med. equip while they were in restaurant having lunch.. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to take everything inside..

Black Betty
Black Betty 02/02/10 - 06:47 am
Why should you be insulted

Why should you be insulted Mr.Johnston?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 02/02/10 - 06:48 am
seenit, if people would just

seenit, if people would just lock their belongings in the trunk or put them out of sight instead of leaving them sitting right there in plain sight on the console or front seat they'd probably not get stolen. I travel quite often with several computers and never leave anything in sight. I haven't lost anything yet.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/02/10 - 06:53 am
Down with the rosemary and

Down with the rosemary and bays, down with the misletoe; instead of holly, now up-raise the greener box (for show)

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/02/10 - 06:54 am
I don't know Black Betty, it

I don't know Black Betty, it just seems to be a birthright anymore.

Notreally
Notreally 02/02/10 - 07:06 am
Black Fact - Black History

Black Fact - Black History Month Day 2, 2010
Lewis Howard Latimer (1848 – 1928) drafted patent drawings for Alexander Graham Bell’s telephone, while working at a patent law firm. He also patented an improved way to produce carbon filaments for light bulbs.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/02/10 - 07:12 am
Hey Eyes, when you get your

Hey Eyes, when you get your turn on the computer, check this one out and be proud. Obama is now bowing to mayors....

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/02/10 - 07:09 am
Sounds so simple

Sounds so simple ColdBeer...not so..They do hide..cover..put in trunk. I think we have professional thieves hanging around nice restaurants looking for travelers..They know (rental car tags) & other give-away signs to look for..anyway U don't have to go anywhere, it's happening in neighborhoods at night...Locked cars are broken into,, we now have to pay extra for police to ride thru at night just to check for this..

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 02/02/10 - 07:11 am
I'm tired of people

I'm tired of people infringing upon other's rights to remain alive, uninjured, and have their car in one piece because they are so addicted to texting and talking on the cell phone while driving! Yes! You are addicted! Put the damn thing down! It's the same thing on the job. Hang up and do your work! You look like an idiot! And while you're at it, show up on time, slacker!

cristinadh
cristinadh 02/02/10 - 07:12 am
how is all of this working

how is all of this working for you people???

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/02/10 - 07:29 am
The Yankee groundhog Phil saw

The Yankee groundhog Phil saw his shadow. Good luck with the rest of the extended winter, y'all.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/02/10 - 07:38 am
Well thanks Bet with the good

Well thanks Bet with the good news about the groundhog..just wondering how did that ever start with the groundhog thing??

SRS cleanup pushed to 2065

Clean up of Savannah River Site's Cold War nuclear waste has been pushed back to fiscal year 2065, requiring an addition $25 billion and more than two extra decades of work, according to latest ...