Across the area

Ruffin funeral set for Saturday at Tabernacle

The funeral for former Judge John H. "Jack" Ruffin Jr. will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Tabernacle Baptist Church.

Dr. Charles E. Goodman Jr. will officiate. The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the church, 1223 Laney-Walker Blvd. Instead of flowers, memorials may be made to the Morehouse College Scholarship Fund or a charity of the donor's choice.

W.H. Mays Mortuary, 1221 James Brown Blvd., is in charge of arrangements. For more information, call (706) 722-6401.

North Augusta man charged with driving too fast before collision

A North Augusta man was charged after colliding with a tractor-trailer on an icy road Monday.

The South Carolina Highway Patrol charged Luis Sanchez-Curiel, 23, with driving too fast for conditions, said Trooper Judd Jones. Sanchez-Curiel was traveling west on Belvedere-Clearwater Road about 7:45 a.m. in a 1996 Chevrolet Camaro when it slid on a patch of ice. Sanchez-Curiel lost control of the vehicle, crossed the center line and hit the side of the eastbound tractor-trailer, driven by Walter Smith, of Albemarle, N.C.

Smith and Sanchez-Curiel's two passengers were taken to the Medical College of Georgia Hospital with minor injuries.

Armed men attempt to rob Ruby Tuesday

Employees of a Ruby Tuesday restaurant say two men tried to rob them early Monday.

According to a Richmond County Sheriff's Office report, an employee was leaving the restaurant at 499 Bobby Jones Expressway about 12:45 a.m. when a man with a gun tapped on her window.

He and another man forced her and a male employee back into the restaurant and threatened to shoot them if they didn't open the safe. When they told him they couldn't, the armed men told them to go inside a freezer. The employees came out about 20 minutes later and called police.

The report said the man with the gun was black, about 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighed 165 to 170 pounds. The other was black, about 6 feet 2 inches tall and possibly weighing 200 pounds.

N. Augusta discusses possible property swap

The North Augusta City Council discussed a proposed property swap between the city and American Legion Post 71 during a study session Monday.

Post 71 is 62 years into a 100-year lease with the city at its current post home on East Spring Grove Avenue, officials said.

In 2002, Post 71 bought about four acres next to the North Augusta Department of Public Safety's substation 2, off Five Notch Road near Interstate 20. The city is considering purchasing that land from Post 71.

The proposed land swap would give Post 71 $80,000 from the sale of the four acres and the return of land at their current post home that is not being used.

Post 71 plans to build a new home on its current site but needs the land deeded to it to move forward.

Police charge man with theft of games

A 21-year-old man was arrested Monday after police say he and a 13-year-old girl tried to steal video games at the Target store at 235 Robert C. Daniel Jr. Parkway.

Richmond County jail records say that Terrance Stevens Donahue was charged with theft by shoplifting and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

According to a Richmond County sheriff's report, an employee saw the man and girl take two video games and try to conceal them. The games were recovered and were valued at $35.

Authorities learned that the girl was a runaway juvenile, and she was committed to the Augusta Regional Youth Detention Center.

Man says he was attacked, robbed

A 21-year-old Hephzibah man told police he was attacked and robbed by two men Monday.

The armed robbery occurred about 3 a.m. at the intersection of Kindling Drive and Meadowbrook Drive, a Richmond County sheriff's report says. The victim told officers that one robber approached him from behind and hit him on the back of the head with a handgun.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/02/10 - 04:22 am
"The armed robbery occurred

"The armed robbery occurred about 3 a.m. at the intersection of Kindling Drive and Meadowbrook Drive, a Richmond County sheriff's report says." What could possibly go wrong down there at that time of night? I am shocked!

bettyboop
bettyboop 02/02/10 - 07:08 am
"The second robber took all

"The second robber took all of the victim's belongings, including a gold necklace, a diamond bracelet, a pair of boots, a cell phone, $25 and his clothing. The robbers fled in a black Nissan."......They took his clothes..lol you know how cold it was at three AM Monday ?......

Notreally
Notreally 02/02/10 - 08:10 am
Black Fact - Black History

Black Fact - Black History Month Day 2, 2010
Lewis Howard Latimer (1848 – 1928) drafted patent drawings for Alexander Graham Bell’s telephone, while working at a patent law firm. He also patented an improved way to produce carbon filaments for light bulbs.

deekster
deekster 02/02/10 - 10:01 am
Black Fact - Black Hisotry

Black Fact - Black Hisotry Month Day 2, 2010
Black Haitians kill and butcher all whites, mulattos and mixed race individuals in celebration of the end of slavery.

js_ee
js_ee 02/02/10 - 11:56 am
Black Fact - Black History

Black Fact - Black History Day 2, ----
White people beat, raped, and lynched thousands of black and other non-white people, simply because they weren't white. What's your point deekster?

js_ee
js_ee 02/02/10 - 01:36 pm
seminole, yes I can, but

seminole, yes I can, but since you are so great with facts, I'm sure you can find the facts to back up my statement just as I can...it's no secret what went on. I'm over that though, I was simply pointing out a fact, just as deekster was...no need to get all defensive.

GSneed
GSneed 02/02/10 - 12:29 pm
In my opinion (which we are

In my opinion (which we are all entitled to), the NEGATIVE response to "Black Fact" was unnecessary and way out of line. Such hatred for one another (people you've never met) that some of you possess is so very disturbing. And to ask that slavery (and everything that came along with it) be backed up with facts is simply ludicrous. All I can say is "Wow!"

js_ee
js_ee 02/02/10 - 12:44 pm
GSneed, what's even more

GSneed, what's even more amazing is that it's ok to question the validity of my comment, but the one just before it simply accepted as "fact". Good day all!

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/02/10 - 01:49 pm
One has to agree with

One has to agree with seminole's 1244, like it or not!

js_ee
js_ee 02/02/10 - 03:21 pm
seminole, I'm not denying

seminole, I'm not denying what's happening today, but history goes further back than the past decade or two. Your very own history books will prove my point. No one is making you honor Black History Month or any other month for that matter. If you choose to find the negative in it, then that's your choice...just as it's your choice to play this little "prove it" game. I, for one, take pride in the accomplishments of black folk every day, not just one month. By the way, IMO, white history is honored everyday, in your local high school. Just visit a few and read a few history books. When you're done, visit a local library, read a few black history books, and you'll see just how much our youth are being taught about history in general. You want your facts, do a little research...don't take my word for it OR not...I've done mine. If you want to cry "foul and unfairness", let's level the playing field and teach about ALL American history, not just some of it and I promise you Black History Month will lose its flare, but we both know that's not going to happen, right?!?!

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/02/10 - 03:41 pm
"MY" history books! That

"MY" history books! That statement says it all!!!! And No js, I am also proud of what productive blacks have accomplished. Unfortunately, you and people who follow your mindset totally ignore that, no, there is no WHITE HISTORY MONTH, NATIVE HISTORY MONTH, ASIAN HISTORY MONTH, ETC. You just want to dwell on the "poor is me", i am black!! By the way, you haven't done ANY research. If you had you would not make assine statements like THOUSANDS of blacks were raped, lynched, and killed. Doubt very seriously it was in the THOUSANDS! By the way, what are you? Undoubtly, not American. If so, your comment would not have been, "YOUR HISTORY BOOKS"!!! Instead it would have been, 'Our History Books"! Good Day!

js_ee
js_ee 02/02/10 - 04:47 pm
glassrinkmaker, you are so

glassrinkmaker, you are so quick to judge my words, you fail to realize that the "your" was all inclusive. You have NO idea what my mindset is? If you did, you would know why I work for everything I have and have NEVER in my live asked for a handout. Not that I have to prove anything to you, but I am a proud black american and proud of my country. I don't understand why you and the people with your mindset have such a problem with people wanting to celebrate the positive in black history. You are quick to point out the negative, but the good should go un-noticed, right?!?! Again, read books other than the mainstream history books and you'll find the number of murdered blacks well into the thousands. You see, I learned the american history, many would want us to learn in high school and college, but I had to take it upon myself to learn the history that was that was not taught AND I appreciat both the same. However, I hear about many of our white ancestors everyday, but the only black person I hear about is Dr. King and President Obama...until February, that is. Like I said before, no one is forcing you or anyone to celebrate Black History Month...but I dare you to ask 10 high school seniors to name 10 prominent history makers prior to 1970 and tell many how many different black people they mention! The last time I did it, five years ago, it was less than 10%, even in the black community! Yes, I do have a problem with that!

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/02/10 - 09:46 pm
JS, Guess you didnt't read my

JS, Guess you didnt't read my 2nd sentence. Keep your "mindset" where it is, it is an over used card these days!

corgimom
corgimom 02/03/10 - 09:16 am
JS, that's right. Blacks were

JS, that's right. Blacks were murdered. So were whites. So were American Indians. So were Asians. WHAT IS YOUR POINT??? Move FORWARD. Deal with CURRENT history, where blacks are murdering blacks in horrifying numbers. I don't notice you talking about that. Why not? Instead of brooding and obsessing over things that happened a long time ago, why don't you focus on the present? Because blacks are making black history NOW, and there's a lot of it that's just not good.

js_ee
js_ee 02/03/10 - 11:52 am
corgimom, my point is, it's

corgimom, my point is, it's history that has brought us to where we are. If you were to read any of my past posts, you'll see that I'm not one to dwell on the past and I am all for stopping the violence in the black communities...I try to do my part every week by mentoring "at risk youth" of all races. This whole argument started from deekser's post, why are you guys not criticizing his comment...which is clearly in the past as well. The point I'm trying to make is, why is it so wrong to use black history to teach the youth about the accomplishments of our black ancestors, despite all the other adversities of there time...If they could do it then, we can surely do it now. Black History Month focuses on trying to bring encouragement and a sense of pride. Peolple of all races need something to be proud of, right. I'm not understanding how some would confuse this as me trying to play race card. Anyway, I can see it doesn't matter what I say, it's going to be turn into something it's not and some will and always will continue to bash Black History Month for all the wrong reasons. I see no one cared to take my challenge either. FYI, I did it myself last night and her a total of five different names, all of whom we here about on a regular basis.

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...