Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

This is to the person that wrote in about the arrogance of Obama for allowing Americans to write off charitable donations that they're giving to Haiti in 2010 on their 2009 income tax returns. Talk about arrogance. How about ignorance? What's wrong with that? If it will prompt Americans to give to these poor victims of the earthquake, especially these little children that you see pictured in The Augusta Chronicle. He just really needs to take a look at himself and his own values. Good for Obama.

If everyone who had access to the tax collection office had to take a lie detector test, then we would find out who took that $25,000 from the safe. Don't exclude anyone. Everyone who had access should take a lie detector test.

One big rave to the Columbia Area Youth Football Association for bringing spring football to the CSRA. This is a another outlet for kids to participate in a team sport instead of becoming couch potatoes.

To the ranter blaming the GOP for not having health insurance - did you think of working and buying some for yourself?

This is a rant to the Fox News haters. While you learn how the underpants bomber decorated his dorm, Fox is having a fair and balanced discussion on why the bomber was allowed to lawyer up. You see, the media rarely lie outright; they lie by omission to keep you stupid.

Rant to all those bashing Andre Bauer. What can you expect from a state with the likes of Mark Sanford, Joe Wilson and Jim DeMint?

This is for all who think they know what happened to Sergio Campbell. As a member of his family, I can tell you he was not in a gang and this was not a gang-related incident. Sergio worked two jobs and was into church and loved spending time with his family and friends. Can he please rest in peace as the beautiful young man he is and not be made out to be some young thug?

Cal Thomas says "about 50 million abortions" have occurred in the U.S. since 1973. That's 50 million murders, abetted by politicians and high courts. If any politician does not actively fight against such mayhem, that politician is abetting the slaughter of 50 million American citizens. Have your representatives and senators fought it?

Columbia County is considering tearing down some older schools. How odd that 50-year-old school buildings, which should still be solid, might be torn down so politicians can spend even more money that nobody has. The only reason to tear down an old school is because that old school will fall down by itself soon. And the only reason a 50-year-old building would fall down by itself is because those in charge of keeping it up for that 50 years didn't.

Tell us what you think

Troubled1
Troubled1 01/30/10 - 02:59 am
to the first rant......do you

to the first rant......do you really believe that money is going to those children? they might be why you are sending it, but those kids will not see a penny of it spent on them.......

CarlosC
CarlosC 01/30/10 - 04:28 am
I am very sorry, and offer

I am very sorry, and offer prayers, for the family and friends of Sergio for their tragic and horrific loss. However, if somebody/anybody is shot by gang members, isn't that "gang-related"? I did not have the pleasure of knowing the young man, but 2:30am at a post-clubbing hangout wasn't a good choice.

CarlosC
CarlosC 01/30/10 - 05:10 am
Jan. 30, 1:18 a.m. EST Full

Jan. 30, 1:18 a.m. EST Full moon. The Moon will also arrive at perigee (it's closest point to Earth on its non-circular orbit) less than three hours later, at 4:04 a.m. EST at a distance of 221,577 mi. (356,593 km.) from Earth.  So this is the biggest full moon of 2010.  Very high ocean tides can be expected during the next two or three days, thanks to the coincidence of perigee with full moon.

Danyell706
Danyell706 01/30/10 - 05:28 am
I mean goodness, why is this

I mean goodness, why is this still a topic of discussion? None of us were there to witness what took place in the Mc Donad's parking lot. The ranter stated that they are a member of his family and they are asking for the community to let him rest in peace. Regardless of what took place. A life was taken, and we need to allow him to R.I.P.
I give respect to the family during this difficult time.

Bubblesup
Bubblesup 01/30/10 - 05:41 am
Ranter #6 makes a good point.

Ranter #6 makes a good point. SC is in the news regularly due to remarks from bigoted, arrogant, and clueless politicians. It's embarrassing. How are these people going to lead anything? Bunch of yahoos.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 01/30/10 - 06:27 am
Hey, in case you didn't know

Hey, in case you didn't know we can comment on Rick's cartoons now.

CarlosC
CarlosC 01/30/10 - 06:30 am
We could before, but it's

We could before, but it's easier now, yes.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 01/30/10 - 06:40 am
Well, I meant on the cartoon

Well, I meant on the cartoon page.

atsugua13
atsugua13 01/30/10 - 06:41 am
just testing out my new

just testing out my new p-word

CarlosC
CarlosC 01/30/10 - 06:48 am
o_t, it was possible before,

o_t, it was possible before, but it doesn't matter now. On the old site you had to navigate from the bottom of the Opinion page using the "previous" arrow and it would take you to the comments box for the cartoon.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 01/30/10 - 06:56 am
oh

oh

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 01/30/10 - 07:30 am
Talk about needless

Talk about needless gang-related killings will cease when needless gang-related killings cease. I have sympathy for the family but if a youth is shot by multiple gang members how is it not gang related???

BamaMan
BamaMan 01/30/10 - 08:09 am
For Sergio's family: I also

For Sergio's family: I also did not have the pleasure of knowing him. I have a family member that worked with him, and had nothing but good things to say about him. I cannot imagine losing a child. My heart goes out to you. You are also in my prayers. Keep God in your life.

CarlosC
CarlosC 01/30/10 - 08:13 am
A Rant for the weather this

A Rant for the weather this morning! Blech....

willienelson
willienelson 01/30/10 - 08:21 am
This is a rave for the

This is a rave for the weather this morning. My kids were threatening to visit me again this weekend....lol

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 01/30/10 - 08:38 am
To ranter #4: How dare you!

To ranter #4: How dare you! Work? What! And lose all their freebies, have their time taken up doing something they do not enjoy, have to pay rent and buy their and their multiple children's food, break into their hanging out at the club time? Why on earth would they do that? This life style was good enough for their mother, her mother before her, going back to the sixties...

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/10 - 08:40 am
If some of the abortion

If some of the abortion haters would go to Haiti & help with the HUNGRY kids,,, I think I would believe them a little more... It is soo strange that folks can march,, protest,,write letters,, BUT won't do a DA@ thing for kids already here. BIRTH CONTROL is needed ,, no it doesn't need to be abortion,,put your $$$ were your mouth is...

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/30/10 - 09:22 am
seenit, so you are assuming

seenit, so you are assuming that people who are "abortion haters" have done nothing to help the kids in Haiti? I think about $500 million has been spent so far. Is this been sent by pro abortion people only? How do you know this? Catholic Relief Services, most definately "abortion haters" have sent an initial $5 million and thousands of volunteers already. I am sure they would welcome your donation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/10 - 09:28 am
Facts,,, Don't get me

Facts,,, Don't get me started this am,, Yes I have sent $$$ to help Haiti,, so has my husband,,,Many folks & U know what I mean,, care more about " so called abortion protests" instead of helping kids already here.. They get sooo heated about the subject that some KILL drs, & don't feel ANY remorse about it..actually I think they are proud of it..so I stand by my post.. GET A KID & FEED IT,, instead of marching about abortion...

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/30/10 - 09:44 am
Again, you make many

Again, you make many generalizations. Many people march and make contributions. The two are not mutually exclusive. "some kill doctors". That some would be two sick people, at least that I can recall. Hardly justifies the description of the probelm as "some". You get the last word. Have a nice day.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/30/10 - 09:48 am
Call it "generalizations" if

Call it "generalizations" if U want,, I just state MY feelings,,again I think I can do that here..Agree or don't agree facts,, doesn't matter.. I'm sure the 2 people dead are missed by their family...

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 01/30/10 - 09:51 am
Hey folks, where can you find

Hey folks, where can you find Richmond County Neighbors section on this new website? Thanks.

Martinez
Martinez 01/30/10 - 10:22 am
Rant # 4: I am one of those

Rant # 4: I am one of those fortunate to work and have insurance... albeit I do contribute over $ 500 a month for it. I don't blame the GOP for anyone not having insurance but I do feel the cost of coverage has increased dramatically in the last 10 years while the level of coverage has decreased. Even with insurance, there have been recent years where our out of pocket expenses have exceeded $ 6000 - $ 7000. Even with insurance, there are times when I have procrasticated healthcare decisions based on the anticipated costs. Point being, I am one of the fortunate ones. I don't know that I think government sponsored healthcare for everyone is the answer but I do think that the current system is broken and in serious need of reform. My children's health is no more or less important then any other kid. If we were low poor - healthcare would be free altogether. If we were between low poor and where we are today - they would likely have nothing. That's an issue.

dani
dani 01/30/10 - 11:05 am
Are insurance rates so high

Are insurance rates so high because the companies are greedy or is that medical care has risen and insurance coverage has to keep pace. In other words, the chicken or the egg?

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 01/30/10 - 11:07 am
To the moron who came into my

To the moron who came into my store last night with the ski mask on...You're lucky I said something to you instead of just taking our ax handle to you. Offended? Not as much as you would have been had I beat your brains out.

egan01
egan01 01/30/10 - 11:12 am
Old school buildings can be

Old school buildings can be completely renovated at about 30% of rebuilding a new one. Don't tear it down sell it to someone who will run it as a private school or church.

cristinadh
cristinadh 01/30/10 - 11:30 am
wait.......... who cares!!!!

wait.......... who cares!!!!

BCG
BCG 01/30/10 - 12:51 pm
To the last ranter and to

To the last ranter and to egan01.. do you have children that went to any of the schools that CC is talking about tearing down if you have not then don't judge the board in matters you do not know anything about. CC Middle floods very frequently and destroys books or such in the library. It is because of the layout of the land and no real effective fix. As for schools like the one on Belair, the system can make so much money from a private business buying the land and the building if they want it, that they could afford to buy land and build a new better positioned school in its place. Columbia County has sufficient growth in new areas and better locations to decrease busing is much needed. I commend the CC board for common sense much lacking in many boards and commissions in the CSRA.

butler123
butler123 01/30/10 - 01:04 pm
Cyndi, that's funny. He was

Cyndi, that's funny. He was lucky! What an idiot.

CarlosC
CarlosC 01/30/10 - 01:29 pm
A Rave to President Obama for

A Rave to President Obama for doing something positive for America!!!

"President Obama is planning to increase spending on America's nuclear weapons stockpile just days after pledging to try to rid the world of them.

In his budget to be announced on Monday, Mr Obama has allocated £4.3billion to maintain the U.S. arsenal - £370million more than George Bush spent on nuclear weapons in his final year."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1247049/Nobel-Peace-Pr...

December pet adoptions fall at Augusta shelter

After peaking at 120 adoptions in 2011, December has fallen from its spot as the most popular pet adoption month at Augusta Animal Services.