Woman shoots dog after it kills her pet

A Columbia County woman shot a neighbor's dog in her yard Tuesday after that dog and another one attacked and killed her small dog.

Gale Brice, of 6236 Winfield Circle, told police she was outside with her three dogs just after 9 a.m. when two large, mixed-breed dogs ran into her yard from a neighbor's property across the street. The dogs, who have previously bitten her and one of her dogs, attacked all three of her dogs, including her Yorkshire terrier, according to Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris.

The woman said she was unable to stop the attack, so she put her other two dogs inside and got a shotgun. She chased the dogs up her driveway, but they turned and ran toward her. She fired, killing one dog. The other one ran away, Morris said.

Deputies found one of the attacking dogs dead in the roadway in front of the woman's home and her terrier disemboweled in her yard.

Animal Services officers were not able to find the second dog, said Linda Glasscock, Code Enforcement/Animal Services manager.

County ordinance violation charges are pending against the attacking dogs' owner for allowing them to run loose, Glasscock said.

Comments (39)

bettyboop
bettyboop 01/27/10 - 07:14 am

Scary stuff..it could have

Scary stuff..it could have been a child.......fine the owners big time!

crackerjack
crackerjack 01/27/10 - 09:03 am

That's a shame, there is that

That's a shame, there is that same problem on Clanton Rd. in Columbia County. There are two or three large dogs that run loose all the time with no collars, and they will run after people, and strew trash from peoples litter, and I even saw them on William Few Parkway one day. Animal Control is called, but nothing is ever done.

MichaelGeorge
MichaelGeorge 01/27/10 - 09:21 am

One thing is for sure, Gale

One thing is for sure, Gale did the right thing, it is just too bad that she wasn't carrying the first time she went out with her pets. Then her Yorkie might still be alive, but can't second guess that, just hope the owner of the 'loose' dogs is tried to the extent of the law, like Betty said this could have as easily been someone's child, well in a way it was. So sorry for the loss of her pet.

Mr. Thackeray
Mr. Thackeray 01/27/10 - 10:03 am

Same problem in Harlem, the

Same problem in Harlem, the city just does't enforce it leash laws.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 01/27/10 - 10:09 am

I had a similar problem years

I had a similar problem years ago; one time when I called, animal control showed up the next day.

Rob Pavey
Rob Pavey 01/27/10 - 10:12 am

It must have been traumatic

It must have been traumatic for the lady to see her own dog killed, and then have to do battle with someone else's dogs on her own property. shame on the (inexplicably) unnamed owner of the aggressive dogs that were allowed to run loose.

Painter
Painter 01/27/10 - 12:14 pm

The owner should be charged

The owner should be charged with restitution for the lose of the terrier

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 01/27/10 - 12:14 pm

People who own dogs should be

People who own dogs should be held accountable! I have never let any of my pets run loose. Too bad she didn't get the second dog.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 01/27/10 - 12:15 pm

I feel your pain Gale...

I feel your pain Gale... Perhaps now they'll do something about the remaining dogs running wild in your neighborhood.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 01/27/10 - 01:04 pm

That's how I lost one of my

That's how I lost one of my dogs in our old neighborhood. Restitution, yeah right. All of a sudden "they weren't the owners" of the same pitbulls that had been returned to them by Animal Control when we rounded them up the last time they were running loose. When I remember what that dog and we had to go through that day it makes me sick.

corgimom
19378
corgimom 01/27/10 - 01:11 pm

Good for Gale Brice. Keep

Good for Gale Brice. Keep going until you get the other one.

U.Dumus
U.Dumus 01/27/10 - 01:24 pm

Dog Gone?

Dog Gone?

fishman960
fishman960 01/27/10 - 02:56 pm

Wow. Disemboweled is such a

Wow. Disemboweled is such a strong word.

Chillen
Chillen 01/27/10 - 04:44 pm

Poor puppy. I would have

Poor puppy. I would have shot that dog too.

Pika Lahi
Pika Lahi 01/27/10 - 04:47 pm

No leash, No dog... Seems the

No leash, No dog... Seems the this owner need to pay restitution and a heavy fine... or even some jail time...

jack
jack 01/27/10 - 06:54 pm

Two dobermans killed my

Two dobermans killed my little dog when I was a kid (slit her throat). I didn't have my gun with me at the time. Good for the woamn who shot the dog. Too bad she didn't get the other one.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 01/27/10 - 07:39 pm

Great shot and also smart to

Great shot and also smart to use a shotgun.

KSL
KSL 01/27/10 - 07:43 pm

Augusta Resident, is that

Augusta Resident, is that you? Hi.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/27/10 - 08:08 pm

I had the same trouble with a

I had the same trouble with a neighbor and his hound dogs. They would wake us up all hours of the night with their howling under our window. Animal Control was called 4 times and the neighbor was informed that he would receive a $1000.00 fine if one more call was made. Peace, No! About 4 months ago it started again. Problem solved with a .44 mag loaded with snake shots at about 50 feet. Dogs got the message and do not cross the property line. Be careful, there is a law about shooting an animal unless being attacked .

Lovingmommy
Lovingmommy 01/27/10 - 10:15 pm

The entire truth may never be

The entire truth may never be printed on paper. But these dogs are not allowed to roam free in this neighboorhood. It is a shame it has come to this. I have and would have continued to trust this dog with my children.

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 01/27/10 - 10:25 pm

When I was 16 a pack of four

When I was 16 a pack of four dogs cornered our pet cat in the back yard and tore her to pieces. My 12 gauge tore the dogs to pieces within minutes. I am to this day an animal lover and have both cats and dogs at home and will still do anything necessary to protect them just as I would any other family member. It is a sad day now when we can't even walk in our own yards safely due to the ignorance of idiot neighbors.

airbud7
airbud7 01/27/10 - 10:54 pm

Lovingmommy are you saying

Lovingmommy are you saying these were your dogs?

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/27/10 - 11:15 pm

Lovingmommy, well if she was

Lovingmommy, well if she was bit before and this time they killed her dog, that is twice. How many times should it take for an owner to learn to keep their animals contained. Especially one with a history of biting. After both these incidents you still would trust them with your kids? Poor kids, wonder what other crazy decisions they have to live through. What kind of dogs were they? Let me guess, pit mixes who were so always so good with your kids. I feel bad for the shot dog, it is 100% the owners fault for not being responsible, and a repeat offender who didn't take the precautions needed when already on notice. some people shouldn't have dogs or kids.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/27/10 - 11:18 pm

With that being said, my

With that being said, my condolences to Ms Brice. Your pets can become like your children and it hurts so bad. A senseless 100% preventable death. Shame on the owners for being responsible for 2 losses of life and a family of broken hearts.

stefiak86
stefiak86 01/27/10 - 11:26 pm

Hi everyone, I am Stephanie,

Hi everyone, I am Stephanie, Gale’s daughter. I would like to make a correction to the article. This was the THIRD time those dogs have attacked one of our pets. This was the second time Alex the Yorkie was attacked by them the first time being New Years 2008. The second time they attacked the got my older terrier Holly just before the 2009 holidays and she is still recovering. Alex was really my son’s dog and he thought the world of him, they were buddies and I have no idea how I am going to tell my 4 year old that he is gone.

airbud7
airbud7 01/27/10 - 11:36 pm

Wow stefiak86 stay strong.

Wow stefiak86 stay strong.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/27/10 - 11:40 pm

Stephanie, I am terribly

Stephanie, I am terribly sorry for the loss your family has suffered at the hands of such irresponsible people. I despise irresponsible pet owners. I hope each and every time these incidents happened they were reported to the authorities. There should be some punishment such as maybe jail time to get the point across to hardheaded ignorant people like this. At the minimum I would sue them for punitive damages so they can't bankrupt their way out of it like most irresponsible people do and garnish wages if need be. I'm no lawyer, but it seems that is the least that should happen for all the heartache they have caused over and over. Some people just don't get it or don't care. They need to be forced to be responsible for their actions and a small animal control fine doesn't do it in my eyes.

1CowboyFan
1CowboyFan 01/28/10 - 12:20 am

Nice shot.

Nice shot.

Chigger Hill Man
Chigger Hill Man 01/28/10 - 01:46 am

There are a lot of people

There are a lot of people that act the same way with their dogs and their kids. They don't try to teach them anything, don't know where they are or what they are doing, they just let them run loose to prey on society and they aren't qualified to raise either one.

The other side of the story
The other side of the story 01/28/10 - 08:24 pm

This article is very

This article is very misleading. These dogs that we are speaking of are very sweet loving dogs that were trusted around other dogs and kids. The article failed to mention that Gail's dogs are always roaming free causing problems. The dog that was shot was in a fenced yard except for the time of the attack. The accused dogs are not allowed to roam free in the neighborhood at all. All measures were taken to keep these dogs in the yard. This incudes a double fenced yard with two gates. Gail was at fault just as much as anyone else. She is the one who refused to protect her dogs from many incidences that involved other dogs way before the dog that was shot even lived there. Don't you think a person would learn from this? She just blamed everyone else for her animal problems. Why doesn't she keep her dogs in a fenced yard out in the country where a wild animal such as a coyote could easily attack such little dogs. Sounds foolish to me. Yes it is terrible that her dog died. But the one that was shot was also a pet. A sweet loving pet. The other dog you guys are speaking of does not have one mean bone in her body. Shame on you people for making a judgement on something that is not accurate. Gale as many violations against her for her dogs. There must have been a reason her yorkie rubbed the animal that was murdered by Gale to want to get out of her fenced yard so bad. This dog also never attacked Gail, and the dog was probably running home when she shot her. All I am saying, get the facts before you make foolish remarks about a situation you know nothing about. Two families are hurt here, not just one. I love animals, I am deeply sorry that any animals had to die for this.