Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

TO THE RANTER who complained about not getting a year-end bonus: As a business owner, the only thing I am required to give employees is a paycheck. It's my investment and sacrifice put on the line every day. If you want a piece of the pie, offer up some investment money or open a business of your own. You need to be thankful for the job you have. I gave bonuses to employees this year and received not one thank you. Next year they won't be so lucky.

CRIME IN THE Augusta area is out of control. It is time that the citizens take a stand. We sit back and expect the police to do everything. They cannot be everywhere. These men and women are overworked and way underpaid, but still each day they put their shield and uniform on to go and protect and serve each one of us. We can help them by being their eyes and ears.

A RANT TO THE PERSON that keeps bashing Jimmy Carter. Carter was born, lived and will die a better person than you will ever be.

I DO GET SICK of reading so many rants criticizing former President Carter. It is a shame we don't have men of his high moral fiber in high offices today, especially in the office of president of the U.S. If those who would be quick to criticize him would read his book Our Endangered Values, they might find out what a great man he is. But of course there are many who do not want honest peace-seekers to be our guides.

MAYBE IT'S TIME we enforce the saggy-pants rule in the mall. I absolutely hate going to the mall since it seems like it's just filled with teenyboppers and guys with their pants down to their knees, walking from side to side, trying to keep them from falling.

THE DECENT PEOPLE of south Augusta are asking for Butch Palmer, Lori Davis and the Concerned Citizens to bring their protests down here. We are constantly ignored and have many nuisance and blighted properties. A good place to start would be that eyesore at Gordon Highway and Deans Bridge Road.

THE NEW YEAR'S EVE festivities were a blast in downtown, and I love the new tradition of the ball drop. But why not make it a more uniquely Augusta experience? Atlanta has a peach drop, so shouldn't Augusta have a golf ball drop?

RANTS TO BOTH Columbia County and Richmond County governments for not being more bicycle and pedestrian friendly. We need more paved off-road paths to encourage physical activity.

IS THERE ANYWHERE that I can go in Augusta without being panhandled?

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 01/07/10 - 05:19 am
Aah, Panhandling . The gift

Aah, Panhandling . The gift that keeps on taking . . . lol ( or is it giving ? )

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 01/07/10 - 05:21 am
woot !

woot !

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 06:27 am
A free Waffle House biscuit

A free Waffle House biscuit to the first one who can correctly identify the well known poster and author of Rant #3. Any of her display names will be accepted.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 01/07/10 - 06:42 am
Rose?

Rose?

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 01/07/10 - 06:43 am
I would like to know why on a

I would like to know why on a federal website (healthreform.gov) the contact pages are one sided. One contact page says "Share your stories and ideas about why we need health reform this year:". What if I think we don't need reform? What page do I go to? The other contact page starts out "I support health reform this year." and has a prepared statement if you fill it out showing your support for the President's healthcare reform. Well, what if I don't support healthcare reform this year? Where do I say that on the FEDERALLY TAXPAYER FUNDED website? This is how Obama is manipulating public opinion!

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 07:01 am
Herr Goebbels would be proud.

Herr Goebbels would be proud. I owe ya a biscuit, ot!

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 07:04 am
“If you tell a lie big enough

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.” -- Joseph Gobbles

catfish201
catfish201 01/07/10 - 07:26 am
A Golf Ball drop is a

A Golf Ball drop is a wonderful idea.

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 08:03 am
catfish, let's take it a step

catfish, let's take it a step further. How about a "bronze golf statue drop"? They aren't doing anything else with them. That would cover us for a few years....

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 01/07/10 - 08:28 am
I was just panhandled

I was just panhandled yesterday waiting in line in my car.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 01/07/10 - 09:00 am
I usually throw a couple of

I usually throw a couple of bucks to them, but my money is tight these days

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 09:10 am
Is that the going price to

Is that the going price to get a homeless guy to spend the night so you don't have to sleep alone?

HowieBoutneaux
HowieBoutneaux 01/07/10 - 09:25 am
And the beat goes on -- "As

And the beat goes on -- "As much as $9.5 million in federal stimulus dollars went to 14 zip codes in Virginia that don’t exist or are in other states, Old Dominion Watchdog (http://virginia.watchdog.org) reports. The fake zip codes were listed on Recovery.gov, the federal Web site that is supposed to track how the stimulus money is being used." It's sad that we can not even trust .gov websites any longer. I knew whitehouse.gov was BS, but apparently it's not the only one.

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 01/07/10 - 09:35 am
1) Bonuses are from profit.

1) Bonuses are from profit. Profit is a dirty word. No profitee, no bonusee. 2) Hug your local police today! 3) Jimmah wins the competition! 4) My fiber looks a lot like what comes out of Jimmah's mouth. 5) Arrest those saggy pants'd folks and sentence them to wearing pink undies. I bet they'd keep THOSE panties covered up. 6) Why don't the decent people of S.A. form their OWN neighborhood task force like Butch, Lori, etc did? 7) Someone enjoyed the downtown party, but wants a little "fore" play. 8) If you build them, they will waddle? 9) You can go to the Gov't Center. Instead of panhandling, those folks will take your money by force.

deekster
deekster 01/07/10 - 10:16 am
Vagrants, not homeless. What

Vagrants, not homeless. What happened to the "vagrancy laws"? Oh, when crime exceeds the ability to control same, it is no longer a crime. 2000 homeless in a tent city in Colorado Springs CO. "Build it and they will come". Never mind the sub zero temps. What a world?

deekster
deekster 01/07/10 - 10:17 am
Do they have those

Do they have those "frozen/fried Huddle House biscuits" at Waffle House?

GOSHEN77
GOSHEN77 01/07/10 - 10:46 am
A bonus is not a right and if

A bonus is not a right and if you did not perform well at your job then you should not get one. However, if you did work hard in the year then yes you should get one. So to Mr. Money bags did you give bonuses to everyone or does your staff just stink?

Also to the Christian lot out there are you really living your faith if you horde your cash? I think not.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 01/07/10 - 10:48 am
LOL@ 8:10!!!

LOL@ 8:10!!!

naturehazard
naturehazard 01/07/10 - 11:00 am
The golf ball drop downtown

The golf ball drop downtown sounds excellent. The saggy pants doesn't bother it. It's been going on for over two decades now. You can go into any store in the CSRA. There will be atleast one person wearing saggy pants. Whether its a young teenager or a older plumber.

butler123
butler123 01/07/10 - 11:02 am
Only eat at Huddle House on

Only eat at Huddle House on Tobacco Road when Brad is cooking.

willienelson
willienelson 01/07/10 - 11:13 am
I wear saggy pants sometimes.

I wear saggy pants sometimes. I see nothing wrong with this fashion. I spend lots of money on my Bat Man underoos and want them to be seen. I think more folks should be sagging. Especially hot girls. They already have their boobies hanging out for all to see, why not just add butts to the display???

naturehazard
naturehazard 01/07/10 - 11:18 am
Shots fired in Columbia

Shots fired in Columbia county last night. Around Old Evans road and Apple Cross apartments on washington rd. Sounds like Butch needs to take a visit to Martinez.

willienelson
willienelson 01/07/10 - 11:32 am
Does anyone think the

Does anyone think the Democrat Party will even be relevant after this administration is voted out in 2012? Will the independents step up to form the second party?

naturehazard
naturehazard 01/07/10 - 11:43 am
Willienelson I'm not a

Willienelson I'm not a democrat or republican. I do think the Democrats are more relevant than the Republicans. Obama and Hillary are knowed across the world and in the united states. Obama and Hillary are knowed by one name. If I said Bobby, Mike, Sarah, or Mitt would most americans even know whom I'm talking about. I don't think they would.

willienelson
willienelson 01/07/10 - 11:49 am
Obama was not knowed across

Obama was not knowed across the world before his presidential campaign. So that's not a very valid point. Hillary was supposed to be 1/2 of the most powerful family in politics before this last election yet she lost to an unknown 1 term senator with only a few years of experience. Hilary does seem to be more competent now that she is surrounded by so many folks who are following Obama down the drain but that will be temporary. I think they are done.

willienelson
willienelson 01/07/10 - 12:03 pm
I wonder how many folks who

I wonder how many folks who voted for Obama are thrilled with what he has done thus far. I also wonder how many fewer will campaign for his reelection.

willienelson
willienelson 01/07/10 - 12:05 pm
I would certainly think that

I would certainly think that anyone campaigning against Obama would have a loop of all his lies about transparency and inviting CSPAN in playing in the background of everyone of their ads.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 01/07/10 - 12:06 pm
Who cares.

Who cares.

willienelson
willienelson 01/07/10 - 12:08 pm
Hi Holly. Is that an attempt

Hi Holly. Is that an attempt at responding to my posts?

HollyHoly