Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

RECENT BLIZZARDS in the Midwest and East have thrown some states into real trouble to pay for the cleanup and for cleanup the rest of this winter. This global warming really must be stopped. Maybe Obama can write a new law and tell the weather what to do.

THE ACLU (self-appointed protector of political correctness) claims that legislative action is not required to prevent the removal of religious symbols from personal gravestones, including grave markers in Arlington Cemetery. The truth is that the ACLU will try to get religious markers off military graves if any fool comes forward and claims that those markers violate church and state because the graves are on government property.

TO THE RANTER who says Obama "is not your puppet," I say: Wrong, I am not his puppet.

THIS IS A RANT for the people flying down Travis Pines Drive in Augusta: You need to slow down before someone else gets hit by a flying car. Cops ride all around the area, but they don't do anything to these speeders.

THIS IS A RAVE to the school board for finally passing the ban on the saggy pants in schools, and another rave for the Richmond County school safety officers for actually taking the time to enforce it.

I WAS READING about the end of the era of saggy pants. Can't Richmond County keep an eye on the students' academics? Aren't academics more important than saggy pants? It's true that schools should have a dress code, but let's try to focus on what's important.

IT SEEMS SOMEHOW appropriate that the saggy pants issue is such a big deal in Augusta. No matter what goes on and what other cities are doing, our city always seems to end up being the butt of the joke.

THIS IS TO THE PERSON that had a rave for the Augusta Mall. Apparently he or she must shop at a different mall than I do. Every time I go there all I ever see is a bunch of skinny young punks trying to walk around pretending they are tough with their britches pulled down all the way to their knees.

JIMMY CARTER is an embarrassment to all Georgians. He's a senile old man who should have quit trying to be president when he was voted out of office. He should just go away.

WHEN I READ today's paper, I was saddened to see that the federal government is trying to get the banks to use term deposits, which will let the government get all the money. The government is going to take over our freedom. If it gets control of the money, then we're finished. The American people need to wake up or we're going to come under a dictatorship in this country.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 01/02/10 - 06:13 am
I'm aware that conservative

I'm aware that conservative extremist see the ACLU as something worse than a venomous snake but Ranter # 2 has made a FALSE statement about the ACLU. The Ranter claims the ACLU wants religious symbols taken off gravemarkers in government cemeteries - even in Arlington Cemetery. This is NOT TRUE and I invite you to go to the ACLU organization site below and read their position:

DaGatorBoy60
DaGatorBoy60 01/02/10 - 06:31 am
That's like going to

That's like going to barackobama.com to see his birth certificate and college records. Nice try.

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 01/02/10 - 06:42 am
I guess if they were fat or

I guess if they were fat or old it would be OK to walk around Augusta Mall minding their own business....or perhaps worried about what you think about how they are dressed???? Get a life

DaGatorBoy60
DaGatorBoy60 01/02/10 - 06:45 am
gasping - One more thing, the

gasping - One more thing, the 2nd Ranter included an "if" in the opinion. Words mean things.

rbk
rbk 01/02/10 - 07:23 am
Wow, I can't believe that for

Wow, I can't believe that for once I can agree with most of the rants in this column. As far as the saggy pants go, I think they look ridiculous, but I could care less whether they are outlawed or not. Obviously, the ones that expose their underwear, have no self respect and none for anybody else either. Thank goodness they have on underwear! I also have always thought the global warming issue is a farce.

sgachief
sgachief 01/02/10 - 09:12 am
the only thing that needs

the only thing that needs removal, is the ACLU. bunch of idiots with nothing better to do in my opinion.

ICSunshine
ICSunshine 01/02/10 - 09:38 am
Another Communist Lawyer's

Another Communist Lawyer's Union

dani
dani 01/02/10 - 09:59 am
fLYING cars? Who knew!

fLYING cars? Who knew!

ICSunshine
ICSunshine 01/02/10 - 10:11 am
dani, if only the deputy cars

dani, if only the deputy cars had wings they could catch them.....

willienelson
willienelson 01/02/10 - 10:13 am
Breaking news...... Ohio

Breaking news...... Ohio State finally won a bowl game. Thank goodness they weren't matched up with anyone from the SEC. Has it really been 312 years since their last bowl victory???

ICSunshine
ICSunshine 01/02/10 - 10:16 am
LOL, willie, G'mornin,

LOL, willie, G'mornin, brother. LSU let us down though.....I am embarassed for the conference. Seeing the Vols lose was fun though.

willienelson
willienelson 01/02/10 - 10:20 am
I would have gladly traded a

I would have gladly traded a Vol loss for an an Auburn win. I hate me some War Eagles or Tigers or Cowboys Ugly Fat Women or whatever mascot they choose to use this year.

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/02/10 - 10:24 am
Field conditions killed LSU's

Field conditions killed LSU's speed advantage.

willienelson
willienelson 01/02/10 - 10:30 am
While vacation in Hawaii,

While vacation in Hawaii, Obama found time to discover the cure for cancer and the common cold yet is still undecided on closing Gitmo, ending the war in Iraq, supporting the troops in Afghanistan, defending Americans in the alleged war on terror yet is single minded in his conviction to raise taxes on all of us. I sure hope Pelozi and Frank will run in 2012. Either would be a better choice. It's ez to defend yourself against Frank. Just keep your mouth shut and remain seated. And Pelozi will cry like a little girl if you just refresh her memory of flash backs about violence in San Fran.

willienelson
willienelson 01/02/10 - 10:33 am
jtf. If I tried to make an

jtf. If I tried to make an excuse for all of Georgia's losses this year, I would still be working on it. LSU lost. They played under the same conditions the other team did. LSU embarrassed the SEC this bowl season. End of story.

Just me 2
Just me 2 01/02/10 - 10:36 am
It seems to me that if they

It seems to me that if they are walking around with their pants half down, surely they must be homo-sexual and this is their advertisement!!

ICSunshine
ICSunshine 01/02/10 - 10:44 am
Due to licensing agreements,

Due to licensing agreements, I was unable to get the audio/radio broadcast of the Sugar Bowl on the Gator network and was forced to listen to the Fox broadcast. It was amusing to hear them never giving up trying to hype the game and explain why the Bearcats were ranked higher than the Gators coming into that game. I wish we could play TCU and Boise St too to make the same point we made last night about the standard of football in the SEC. Remember the last time Ohio St played the Gators? That's why I'm so mad at LSU falling down, mud or not.

ICSunshine
ICSunshine 01/02/10 - 10:52 am
TNT, LOL - Kinda like "Sweet

TNT, LOL - Kinda like "Sweet charming and petite single mom living in a luxury art gallery apartment on The Hill looking for an intellectual to share informed opinions on how to erase the national debt, reverse global warming, stop all crime and achieve world peace."

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 01/02/10 - 10:55 am
Regarding the saggy pants

Regarding the saggy pants rant. "The butt of the joke"? Now that is too funny!!

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 01/02/10 - 10:57 am
There is a white cross in the

There is a white cross in the Mojave desert on federal land. It was placed there in 1934 by WW1 veterans in honor of the sacrifices made by their fellow soldiers. The location was selected because its evening shadow is cast against a rock that is in the shape of a 'dough boy' helmet. A private citizen offered up 5 of his own acres joining the preserve in exchange for the 1 acre on which the cross sits. This was refused. Currently the cross sits with a box covering it while the ACLU pushes its case against it in Supreme Court. My belief is that should this case be decided in favor of the ACLU that it will use it as a set precedent while it goes after other Christian symbols on government properties.

PoliticallNcorrect
PoliticallNcorrect 01/02/10 - 11:06 am
BaggyPants...Anyone remember

BaggyPants...Anyone remember the song? Every woman crazy about a sharp dressed man. Anyone think baggy pants are sharp looking? They wear them in part because the majority hate's them. Every generation has a fade older people hate but in this case they have a good reason. If you have to use one hand to hold your pant's up, how are you going to run??? I was watching dumb crooks & 2 youth's tried to run from the law but got caught because they kept tripping on their pants...lol

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 01/02/10 - 11:16 am
Oh, let 'em wear their saggy

Oh, let 'em wear their saggy ole britches. The elstupey look will be gone one day anyhow. It gives me a good laugh when I see them.

ICSunshine
ICSunshine 01/02/10 - 11:19 am
plumb, perhaps you should

plumb, perhaps you should read the post from Eyes @9:57am.

ICSunshine
ICSunshine 01/02/10 - 11:24 am
Sic her, Eyes. I knew you

Sic her, Eyes. I knew you were/are correct.

KSL
KSL 01/02/10 - 11:34 am
Who takes Snopes seriously?

Who takes Snopes seriously? They have their own political agenda.

ICSunshine
ICSunshine 01/02/10 - 11:36 am
The same folks that get all

The same folks that get all their news from MSNBC and CNN and Entertainment Tonight then vote for Obama.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 01/02/10 - 11:37 am
It seems that this is one

It seems that this is one more of those cases where the few are trying to dictate to the many. Their desires are the only ones that should be taken into account, much like incident the Nativity display at the fire station. One complaint is made and and a chain reaction resulted. Mayor consulted the lawyers. Lawyers threw up their hands and said that it is best to cave into the demand and the display is dismantled. Happily, the population spoke up and the display was returned. I'm hoping that such will be the case with the white cross. Unbox it. Those that don't like it can turn their heads the other way as they pass by it. In the sense of fair play, I've no objection to other religious artifacts set up on government land. I respect the faith of others and wish that they'd respect mine.

ICSunshine
ICSunshine 01/02/10 - 11:40 am
The point is, that while the

The point is, that while the ACLU has not sued to remove the Crosses, Crescents, Stars of David off the tombstones at Arlington and other national cemeteries yet, they have a case pending that could give them them precedent to try it.