Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

THIS IS A great big rave for photographer Rainier Ehrhardt for his wonderful picture of the Union Baptist Church and its pastor. I loved this picture when it was first published in the paper, and to me that is the best photograph of the year. Please show more of his work. Happy New Year to all of the staff.

PRESIDENT CARTER says if he had it to do over, if he had one more day as president, he'd use it to bring the "full weight of the White House to the (Middle East) peace process." Why didn't he "bring the full White House weight" when he was president? And does Carter think Americans haven't wised up to the con job lingo called "peace process"? Peace is an absence of war; thus it's no "process" at all.

JUST CURIOUS about how the local ministers feel about their young church members performing in a less than appropriate manner at Augusta Common functions, in the parades and even on television. Maybe they are expecting the parents to recognize that revealing costumes and suggestive movements are not "jazz," "modern dance" or "contemporary."

I WOULD LIKE to rave about Augusta Mall. Yes, I said rave. I went there the day before Christmas Eve to do some last-minute shopping. I hadn't been to the mall in over a year and was anxious with all the write-ups about groups of thugs and disrespectful shoppers. I was pleasantly surprised to find that even the young folks there were very courteous and going about their shopping without wearing inappropriate clothes or being unruly. Security was near where I parked when I arrived and when I left. Thank you for a pleasant experience.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND all the complaints about that newly painted wall on Highland Avenue. I was driving past it on the way back to Atlanta, and it is beautiful. My friend told me that more painting is to come and that the special paints will last over 20 years. If that is really the case, that is a boon to Augusta, in my book.

I WAS SHOCKED and saddened by the picture in The Augusta Chronicle of the young boy holding a beautiful wild goose that he had shot and killed in the Phinizy Swamp. Did his dad teach him to shoot this goose because their family needed it for food, or was that innocent creature killed just for the sport of it?

THE RANTER complaining about Obama traveling or spending any money is so obviously stupid. Who do you think you are to tell our president when and where he can go? He is not your puppet.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 12/29/09 - 11:28 am
Fishman! I'm so happy to see

Fishman! I'm so happy to see you on today as I have a 'gift' for you. True story,... last night there was a black kitten with green moon pie eyes dumped at my place and its looking for a new home. It looks to be about 2 months old and is extremely friendly. Our dog is a bit too interested in it (kitty has GOOD climbing gear!) and outdoor cats here have a short lifespan. When is the best time to drop it off for you???? (Kitty litter will be included.)

fishman960 12/29/09 - 11:30 am
CG, some would call you

CG, some would call you chicken little. I call you a very wise man.

OutInSpace
OutInSpace 12/29/09 - 11:31 am
LOL Eyes, you are a meanie

LOL Eyes, you are a meanie head!!!

fishman960 12/29/09 - 11:34 am
Rolling. (lol) I accept all

Rolling. (lol) I accept all Gods creatures and would gladly fight for them. Tell you what, drop the kitten off at my place and I will take care of it. Seriously folks, humans have a voice. Animals just asked to be loved, and besides it's freezing outside!

fishman960 12/29/09 - 11:35 am
Pets, that is. Some animals

Pets, that is. Some animals only wish to kill.

fishman960 12/29/09 - 11:36 am
CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/09 - 11:37 am
I try to re-read my post

I try to re-read my post prior to posting but misspells get by. I sure miss the EDIT.

OutInSpace
OutInSpace 12/29/09 - 11:40 am
Delete would be nice too when

Delete would be nice too when the system stutters.....

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 12/29/09 - 11:43 am
Fishman, I was teasing you

Fishman, I was teasing you about actually meaning to drop it off at your place, but if you are serious I am thrilled to hand it over to you. We'll have to work out a meeting later, just now I've had company walk in the door and can't hang in here, but HOLD THAT THOUGHT!!! I'll-be-back!!!!

fishman960 12/29/09 - 11:48 am
Rolling, I figured as much.

Rolling, I figured as much. But still no defenseless pet or human should have to bear the winter cold ( or any of life's tragedies). I can't change the world's suffering, but if I can help a little life then my day has been a good one.

OutInSpace
OutInSpace 12/29/09 - 11:52 am
Try keeping your cats inside

Try keeping your cats inside then.

fishman960 12/29/09 - 11:57 am
Lets see, how do I respond to

Lets see, how do I respond to that outofspace? How about, I do! Ever have a dog slip his leash? I won't dignify that debate any further.

OutInSpace
OutInSpace 12/29/09 - 11:58 am
Once, okay, twice, maybe,

Once, okay, twice, maybe, ......... goin for a 4-peat now?

DreamBig
DreamBig 12/29/09 - 12:34 pm
TO:THIS A RANT for printing

TO:THIS A RANT for printing only raves for your Christmas edition. I read this rag so I can enjoy the stupid rants the people of this community have....you need a hobby! LOL or a good book.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 12/29/09 - 12:44 pm
Congrats fishman on your new

Congrats fishman on your new found friend! Excuse OutinSpace, he's always a bit of a prickly character. Finds the doom and gloom in everything.

happychimer
happychimer 12/29/09 - 01:04 pm
Holly you have mail.

Holly you have mail.

TechLover
TechLover 12/29/09 - 02:03 pm
RIP: Evidently you don't

RIP: Evidently you don't think, or don't read. The ranter said "He has spent more taxpayers money in one year to no avail than Bush spent in 8 years". The deficit is a yearly figure that reflects the difference between the government's receipts vs spending. While spending has increased, revenues haven't (we have been a recession), resulting in the larger deficit. It is not the result of spending more in one year than Bush spent in 8. facts are facts.

fishman960 12/29/09 - 02:09 pm
Tech, let me weigh in on

Tech, let me weigh in on this. Why would spending increase while revenues decrease? Do you run your household like that? Wouldn't you say that now is an imperative time to cut back on spending?

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 12/29/09 - 02:17 pm
ok

ok

whyme
whyme 12/29/09 - 03:10 pm
I agree with the rant about

I agree with the rant about the kids in their skimpy outfits and suggestive moves. Girls of all races and ages are out there demonstrating these gyrations and the like, including Ms. McCormick on the dance show (and yes she was very talented and I did vote for her) but is this really appropriate for church-going folks? How is this handled? Just curious too

OutInSpace
OutInSpace 12/29/09 - 03:12 pm
Maybe they have to tithe 15%

Maybe they have to tithe 15% of future pole dancing income instead of the customary 10% for normal jobs.

fishman960 12/29/09 - 03:13 pm
Church going folks? I had a

Church going folks? I had a sister in law that got pregnant at the age of 16 at the church! We as a society must reinforce self restraint. Just because we want to doesn't mean that we should be able to.

fishman960 12/29/09 - 03:18 pm
I remember in the mid 80's

I remember in the mid 80's there was a movement to stop the glamour of rock music. Ric Ocasek was the subject and the song was candy-o. "Right here let me melt inside of you". And who can forget Sheena Easton with her hit "Sugar walls" The damage is done and there is no turning back now.

fishman960 12/29/09 - 03:19 pm
I blame the Liberal media for

I blame the Liberal media for most of today's ills.

fishman960 12/29/09 - 03:31 pm
I had to break out my "Cars"

I had to break out my "Cars" disc. That song was "don't you stop", not candy-o.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 12/29/09 - 03:42 pm
Just what is "church going

Just what is "church going folks"?..please. Don't like it turn your head or the station. No skin off my back if the folks at the Augusta Mall wish to dress retarded. They are hurting themselves. Not me. I don't get all angry over it and stomp my feet, declaring I will NEVER step foot in THAT mall again. Who cares. BTW fishman..it starts at home, not the media. What you think to be crude and rude, another does not.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 12/29/09 - 03:46 pm
I'm a people watcher, I enjoy

I'm a people watcher, I enjoy watching all the different ways folks dress and the different cultures. While I shake my head at many, it don't bother me atall.

fishman960 12/29/09 - 03:47 pm
Holly, I agree with you hence

Holly, I agree with you hence the self restraint reference. But wouldn't you agree that the media has a hand in this as well? Glamourizing a lifestyle is still glamour. You never saw that crap on the Andy Griffith show.

fishman960 12/29/09 - 03:49 pm
Media has a responsibility to

Media has a responsibility to it's advertisers and they would never hold an audience broadcasting John Corapi all day.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/29/09 - 03:51 pm
RIP: Evidently you don't

Posted by TechLover on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:03 PM ... yes the ranter did indeed say that. Yes, a deficit is an annual figure, right. Spending has increased tremendously : TARP, Recovery Act, Auto Bailouts, etc, revenues have decreased, yup, that's right. That results in larger deficits... uh huh. So what part is the part where you disagree or explain to me what policy or action of Obama has made you such a die hard supporter? I'm simple, so you kind of need to be clear. (I didn't mention Bush or equal to 8 yrs of anything at all did I?)

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.