Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

THIS IS A great big rave for photographer Rainier Ehrhardt for his wonderful picture of the Union Baptist Church and its pastor. I loved this picture when it was first published in the paper, and to me that is the best photograph of the year. Please show more of his work. Happy New Year to all of the staff.

PRESIDENT CARTER says if he had it to do over, if he had one more day as president, he'd use it to bring the "full weight of the White House to the (Middle East) peace process." Why didn't he "bring the full White House weight" when he was president? And does Carter think Americans haven't wised up to the con job lingo called "peace process"? Peace is an absence of war; thus it's no "process" at all.

JUST CURIOUS about how the local ministers feel about their young church members performing in a less than appropriate manner at Augusta Common functions, in the parades and even on television. Maybe they are expecting the parents to recognize that revealing costumes and suggestive movements are not "jazz," "modern dance" or "contemporary."

I WOULD LIKE to rave about Augusta Mall. Yes, I said rave. I went there the day before Christmas Eve to do some last-minute shopping. I hadn't been to the mall in over a year and was anxious with all the write-ups about groups of thugs and disrespectful shoppers. I was pleasantly surprised to find that even the young folks there were very courteous and going about their shopping without wearing inappropriate clothes or being unruly. Security was near where I parked when I arrived and when I left. Thank you for a pleasant experience.

THIS A RANT for printing only raves for your Christmas edition. I read this rag so I can enjoy the stupid rants the people of this community have.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND all the complaints about that newly painted wall on Highland Avenue. I was driving past it on the way back to Atlanta, and it is beautiful. My friend told me that more painting is to come and that the special paints will last over 20 years. If that is really the case, that is a boon to Augusta, in my book.

I WAS SHOCKED and saddened by the picture in The Augusta Chronicle of the young boy holding a beautiful wild goose that he had shot and killed in the Phinizy Swamp. Did his dad teach him to shoot this goose because their family needed it for food, or was that innocent creature killed just for the sport of it?

THE RANTER complaining about Obama traveling or spending any money is so obviously stupid. Who do you think you are to tell our president when and where he can go? He is not your puppet.

OutInSpace
OutInSpace 12/29/09 - 09:38 am
donnymack, why don't you grow

donnymack, why don't you grow a set and defend the actions of your boy rather than blaming somebody else? Typical liberal sissy.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/29/09 - 09:44 am
OutInSpace: after much

OutInSpace: after much careful research and deliberation, after hours and days being a good American citizen and keeping a watchful eye (unfiltered by media or biased websites) on the goings on in DC, I have come to the conclusion the vast majority of actions of Barack Obama are indefensible.

Irish
Irish 12/29/09 - 09:45 am
Donny, It would be nice if

Donny, It would be nice if this administration would just go on permanent vacation. They couldn't do any more damage away from Washington than they are doing in Washington. Heck, now that I think about it it does seem "O" is trying to turn it into one continous party........

ispy4u
ispy4u 12/29/09 - 09:47 am
No need to defend him. He is

No need to defend him. He is doing what every President does. Mom, did you complain about the " outrageous salary" when Reagan, Bush and Bush 2 were getting it.? So transparent.

OutInSpace
OutInSpace 12/29/09 - 09:48 am
RIP, thank you for that

RIP, thank you for that revelation, brother. I've been staying awake in the wee hours of the morning trying to calculate that very same hypothesis. ;-)

OutInSpace
OutInSpace 12/29/09 - 09:51 am
ispy, nobody is complaining

ispy, nobody is complaining about "outrageous salary" just outrageous expenses. Regan only made $200k a year btw. As RIP mentioned yesterday, you couldn't hire a competent CEO for a mid-sized company for Obama's salary. It's not about his paycheck money, honey.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/29/09 - 09:52 am
The salary for POTUS is

The salary for POTUS is $400,000 annually and is a pittance compared to what is earned in the private sector to lead a corporation. There are many expenses which the POTUS must pay out of that amount which are bona fide job necessities. When you pay a fraction of the salary a talented individual can earn privately, is it any wonder we get such fools, I said foolS (POTUS clear back to well, pick one) running for the job?

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/29/09 - 10:00 am
Can you imagine a real

Can you imagine a real Business leader ala Jack Welsh is charge of running the country?

OutInSpace
OutInSpace 12/29/09 - 10:02 am
I think this is why it's

I think this is why it's important to elect individuals who have achieved success in the private sector and proven their worth and made their millions prior to accepting such a position. I don't know if you are aware, but a whopping 8% of the Obama administration hires have any private sector job experience. He himself certainly doesn't. He has been feeding off the government teat since he was born. Whether it be Kenyan, Pakistani, Saudi Arabian, US, or State of Illinois.

OutInSpace
OutInSpace 12/29/09 - 10:06 am
jtf - I would nominate Herman

jtf - I would nominate Herman Cain, but again, there is no reason for him to take a pay cut and add all the frustrations.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/09 - 10:06 am
Asitisinaug on Tue Dec 29,

Asitisinaug on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:17 AM & 1:23 .. The true world of this so called president could never have been described any better, Horaaaa - Asitisinaug - Horaaaa

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/29/09 - 10:07 am
I'd take a small business

I'd take a small business owner who makes less than $100k a year but knows how to get things done, knows how to run things on a budget, knows PROFIT AND LOSS, and knows how to achieve compromise. The pay increase would be significant, and the perspective would allow him or her to stop the madness in DC now. Before anyone asks: I'm not running. '-)

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/29/09 - 10:17 am
Spaceman, don't know about

Spaceman, don't know about Herman, but there are many successful businessman out there who would never stand a chance. But, you are correct about the lack of experience in gov't. Same with Business schools. As I went through MBA school, profs were big on theory and short on real world experience. I'll take the ladder any day.

toldyaso
toldyaso 12/29/09 - 10:18 am
wouldn't be surprised if you

wouldn't be surprised if you were to follow the money trail in the fanniemay and freddiemac bonuses, you would find your hand in Barney Franks' pocket.

pommom38
pommom38 12/29/09 - 10:25 am
I don't agree with the

I don't agree with the majority when they bash Bush, and no, I didn't complain about their whopping $200,000 salary, because at least they did attempt and changed many things. What has your great dude done Ispy? N-O-T-H-I-N-G!! Go crawl back under the covers with your beau Justus.

TechLover
TechLover 12/29/09 - 10:25 am
Asitis: I have no idea where

Asitis: I have no idea where you got this lack of info but:"He has spent more taxpayers money in one year to no avail than Bush spent in 8 years", total budgets for Bush's 8 years: $20.37 trillion, 2010 budget: $3.6 trillion; "He as gone on more vacations and dinner dates in 1 year than Bush did in his first 2 years", 11 days in Hawaii, one date night, and 10 days at Martha's Vineyard totals 22 days. As of 9/11/2001 Bush had spent 54 days at Crawford and 4 at Kennebunkport (didn't count Camp David); "reduced our military spending " 2009 defense budget: $513 billion, 2010: $534 billion. You might want to check your facts before posting.

OutInSpace
OutInSpace 12/29/09 - 10:31 am
Techie, which .org site or

Techie, which .org site or blog did you get that fantasy from? Do you not trust the Wall St Journal where the correct numbers that were quoted come from? Once again, keep gooling until you find what you want.

toldyaso
toldyaso 12/29/09 - 10:32 am
hey, wouldn't it be

hey, wouldn't it be interesting if we were to pay our president and congress on a pay by performance scale? I wonder how many would get increases then.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/29/09 - 10:34 am
The Federal deficit for

The Federal deficit for fiscal yr 2009 was $1.4 BILLION, more than TRIPLE the previous record. That's a fact, Tech. All the accounting tricks in the world cannot justify defense of that. Tech, you impress me as a person who thinks... would you please share with us some features, advantages or benefits of the proposed Health Care "reform" bills, or maybe some features, advantages and benefits of things Obama has done of which you are especially enamored?

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/29/09 - 10:36 am
oops, I was wrong, it was

oops, I was wrong, it was $1.4 TRILLION. With a T. Which stands for trouble. Which is what every American citizen should be prepared for real soon. Buy gold. And ammo. And a self defense class. And a kevlar jacket. I don't claim to be able to foresee what depths this regime will stoop to to repress our freedom to choose.

Irish
Irish 12/29/09 - 10:37 am
O'Bama is tired. Have you

O'Bama is tired. Have you seen the headlines ? Seems he has had a stressful first year. The AP discribes his numerous flights around the world and long nights as taking their toll on the young President. All (?) of his critical deciscions and leadership abilities have been taxed to the max. Heck fire. I think we already knew he wasn't up to the job as of Jan 21nd 2009

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/29/09 - 10:37 am
toldya so: abolish all hourly

toldya so: abolish all hourly wages and salaries. I've worked my entire life on performance based pay. If I didn't provide the performance, I got no pay. None. Nada. Zip. When I outperformed others, I earned more than they. I kind of got inspired by that.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/09 - 11:14 am
You know RIP, we have one

You know RIP, we have one h.ll of an economic crisis here in the United States. I feel that the only way this destructive condition could be solved is by implementing the FAIR Tax. What do you think?

fishman960
fishman960 12/29/09 - 11:17 am
I see class warfare in front

I see class warfare in front of us as well. Folks, you might do good to heed RIP's advise. When the gov't cash cow runs out (which it will, hell it already has hence the deficit) it will be every man for himself. I envision a society much like the Jetsons where those that have live well and those that don't fight for what's left. Think it can't happen? Think again!

willienelson
willienelson 12/29/09 - 11:20 am
I once heard that someone

I once heard that someone said it is hard for an empty sack to stand. Even truer about an empty suit. Our first black president has been a monumental failure. He has disappointed not only the black community but all Americans. I hope we will start impeachment proceedings before the terrorist attack his weakness is inspiring. About the goose...everyone needs a little goose from time to time.

fishman960
fishman960 12/29/09 - 11:20 am
Someone called me RIP's lap

Someone called me RIP's lap puppet the other day (ha-ha). He might go on for a minute, but the man has some sense. If we all listened to him (but not necessarily agree on everything) we might learn something. Everyone consider this; What will happen when the handouts are gone?

fishman960
fishman960 12/29/09 - 11:26 am
It's no coincidence that gold

It's no coincidence that gold is being bought at such a high pace. It is the only thing that will not lose it's value. So those that can afford it, you better be buying stockpiles of it.

OutInSpace
OutInSpace 12/29/09 - 11:27 am
CG, RIP has gone off to make

CG, RIP has gone off to make his capitalist money for the day. However, I can answer for both of us. We both support the Fair Tax ( www.fairtax.org ). It would cost him more money since he has the IRS figured out, but he supports it. We've spent considerable time discussing it over a cold one or three.

OutInSpace
OutInSpace 12/29/09 - 11:28 am
CobaltGeorge, RIP has gone

CobaltGeorge, RIP has gone off to make his capitalist money for the day. However, I can answer for both of us. We both support the Fair Tax ( www.fairtax.org ). It would cost him more money since he has the IRS figured out, but he supports it. We've spent considerable time discussing it over a cold one or three.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/09 - 11:28 am
I have been ready months ago.

I have been ready months ago. I just picked up another 1000 rounds of .223. I have 2 40' containers underground fully equip (electricy, water, food, weapons and slepting capipilities) to subtain my family of 18 for 30 or more days. I am ready and I know what can happen is getting closer.