Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

TO THE GENIUS who made the rant about the Richmond County Sheriff's Office patrol cars not using signals or headlights, etc. Is this all you've got to do? You are riding around wasting gas being on the road for no purpose at all, just checking out sheriff's deputies and all that stuff. You need to get a life.

AUGUSTA, PLEASE support the Exceptional Bowling League for special-needs adults. This is an awesome program that has been around for 50 years. The Tuesday article "No time to spare" breaks my heart. These people need you.

TO THE RANTER who thinks the person living downtown is cheap because he is threatening to move if parking meters are put in: Area apartments don't charge to park. Why should the people living downtown pay? I don't blame him for wanting to move.

I'M A 75-YEAR-OLD man, and President Obama has given me a reason to go on. I want to live long enough to see him voted out of office.

I LIVE ACROSS from the rear exit of the uptown VA on Maryland Avenue. My daughter has lost three precious cats to this road. People speed up and down this road all day, and the people coming out of the VA are the worst!

HAS ANYONE NOTICED that you can't even insult politicians anymore? They live inside their insular world of conceit, so they don't even understand that they're supposed to work for the taxpayer and follow common sense.

I THINK IT'S TERRIBLE for anyone to try to make predictions as to how commissioners will work out years down the road. Matt Aitken and William Lockett were just elected, and I think we should just let them do their work.

SOME THUGS GO to the Movie Gallery, claim to have a gun, steal money and other things and then run. They are caught and taken to jail, where they can get out on a $7,900 bond so that they can go and do it again and perhaps kill the next person.

WHY IS IT THAT if you've been to jail you can't get a job? How can a single mother get off welfare if she can't even get a decent job to take care of her kids? People need to be given a second chance at life, especially when it's been over 12 years.

NO MATTER HOW controversial, common sense dictates that people who commit murder, especially of a child, are detrimental to society. Since they have proven to be of no redeeming value to society, they should receive the death sentence instead of continuing to be a burden on the justice system and the American taxpayers by serving life in prison.

KrispyKremgle
KrispyKremgle 12/27/09 - 02:46 am
Huzzah! To the seasoned

Huzzah! To the seasoned citizen with the cause. Sir, I hope you get to enjoy the day this nightmare is over. Actually, I hope the whole country lasts that long.

KrispyKremgle
KrispyKremgle 12/27/09 - 02:51 am
The cats might have a better

The cats might have a better chance of survival if they are kept inside or on a lease as the law "suggests". Letting your cats play in the road is not the drivers' fault when they get squashed. If they were hit inside your house, please clarify that point and I'll apologize.

KrispyKremgle
KrispyKremgle 12/27/09 - 03:24 am
"Habari Gani?" "Kujichagulia"

"Habari Gani?" "Kujichagulia" - (Self-Determination): To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves, and speak for ourselves. There is your daily Joyous Kwanzaa lesson.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 12/27/09 - 08:08 am
Guess the first rant was made

Guess the first rant was made by one of Richmond Ctys finest. Wow. President O has given you reason to go on? Man, you ARE obsessed, and 75, indeed! hahahahahah!
I don't think the cat lady has anything to clarify. She made it clear that the cats were run over on Maryland Ave. BTW, sorry to hear about your daughters cats ma'm.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 12/27/09 - 08:11 am
Once a @###**@@####!!! ALWAYS

Once a @###**@@####!!! ALWAYS a #@$%#$%#$!!

robbie1
robbie1 12/27/09 - 08:17 am
For the person asking about a

For the person asking about a second chance. I agree with you. We all hope that folks learn their lesson from paying their debt to society, but few will give the person the chance to prove it. I think its because there are way too many who don't learn their lesson. Folks with businesses are leary of taking the chance at getting ripped off again. Doesn't make it right. Its just the facts. Don't give up. You'll find your second chance. Once you do, hold onto to it with both hands. Good luck.

KrispyKremgle
KrispyKremgle 12/27/09 - 08:24 am
robbie, well that rant starts

robbie, well that rant starts off with "can't get a job" then moves on to "can't even get a decent job". I think part 2 is the telling part. Unfortunately, many folks overestimate their skills and abilities when searching for "any job". We've seen it on these boards with folks refusing to take entry-level jobs because they get more money from unemployment and welfare to do nothing. So rather than start low and climb the ladder, they choose to stay a burden on society since those "high-paying decent jobs" are not readily available. I think this might be the case here. Maybe she should petition the White House for clemency. I know many folks who have felony convictions and very well paying jobs, black and white. But they didn't start at that level, they were given a chance to prove themselves and did.

Bubblesup
Bubblesup 12/27/09 - 08:33 am
The last ranter is right.

The last ranter is right. Instead of feeding and clothing them at taxpayer's expense for years and years, give them a fast exit immediately after the "we the members of the jury find you guilty" statement. They could get some of those hoodlums from South Augusta to do it.

KrispyKremgle
KrispyKremgle 12/27/09 - 08:44 am
A Rave for the compilation of

A Rave for the compilation of Rick McKee's favorite cartoons in today's Opinion section. It's interesting to see which ones he especially liked, I generally like them all. I still wish there was a way to leave comments directly while viewing the image. I know it's possible to navigate to a different page and leave the comment, however, nobody will see those comments unless they are aware they are there and do the same thing.

freespeech
freespeech 12/27/09 - 09:00 am
I would trying to get away

I would trying to get away from the VA as quickly as possible also.

gnx
gnx 12/27/09 - 09:21 am
I can't believe someone

I can't believe someone actually ranted about their cats being flattened. If you let your dogs and cats run free they'll eventually be run over. (Facts of Life 101)

Martinez
Martinez 12/27/09 - 09:24 am
#5 Keep the cats inside or

#5 Keep the cats inside or on a leash. They stand an equal chance of being attacked by other stray animals or catching a feline decease when roaming the neighborhood. If they are truly your pets, treat them as such! #9 There are plenty of companies willing to hire someone with a 12 year old jail record. Just as there are many companies who will specifically look to hire those on welfare, to gain the financial incentives offered by the federal government for doing so. You might want to check your resume, interview skills and attitude as there may be another reason for your lack of employment. First impressions are everything. If you walk in with a sense of entitlement - no one will hire you. If you walk in humble and express a strong desire to work - your chance will come.

robbie1
robbie1 12/27/09 - 09:33 am
You're right, Krispy. It

You're right, Krispy. It took me a while to get over some bad decisions, but I did it by working entry level jobs, and working hard. Even cleaned bathrooms at night. I also went to school when not at work. Its tough, but you have to work at it, and not give up.

KrispyKremgle
KrispyKremgle 12/27/09 - 09:42 am
robbie, good for ya! I've

robbie, good for ya! I've flipped a million McD's burgers, and I never want to see, much less cook, another Denny's Grand Slam breakfast EVER. However, I did it and learned from it and gained additional motivation never to go back to jobs like that.

Martinez
Martinez 12/27/09 - 09:47 am
Congrats to you Robbie. Times

Congrats to you Robbie. Times are tough and there are a lot of heavily experienced middle age workers out there seeking employment right now that younger or those trying to get re-established must compete against. Having some HR experience, I can honestly tell you that having a positive "do whatever it takes" attitude goes a long way. It sounds like your acheivements have been based on a strong work ethic and good attitude. It may be hard but as you are experiencing, it is not impossible.

Just me 2
Just me 2 12/27/09 - 10:05 am
I agree with the last rant

I agree with the last rant 100%!! Why should money be taken from OUR paychecks to feed a child murderer and keep them clothed and warm? It is one thing to help the needy. It is totally another thing to take care of convicted murderers with taxpayer money.

Just me 2
Just me 2 12/27/09 - 10:08 am
And to the lady who cannot

And to the lady who cannot get a decent job. I have NEVER been in jail and my job SUXS!

RoadKing09
RoadKing09 12/27/09 - 10:08 am
To First Ranter. I usually

To First Ranter. I usually don't lose my eyesight when following a officer of the law. You don't have to be riding around looking for people not giving turn signals. It is a common thing in Augusta area.

RoadKing09
RoadKing09 12/27/09 - 10:14 am
Steal from me the first time,

Steal from me the first time, your fault. Steal from me the second time, my fault.
Only a fool makes the same mistake twice.

bailmeout2
bailmeout2 12/27/09 - 10:15 am
If you can't speak proper

If you can't speak proper English or have a GED what else are you supposed to do? There are so many opportunities out there...start at a community college, transfer after a year or two to a state school, get a usable degree or continue on to a professional degree. Money is not an excuse because you can get student loans or Pell grants. After you graduate, you can defer payment for up to 3 years if you can't make your payments. Tired of the excuses.

crackerjack
crackerjack 12/27/09 - 10:19 am
If you are a convicted felon,

If you are a convicted felon, and need a decent paying job, you can always run for public office, or sell cars, or get rid of the tramp stamps, the pierced tongue,nose, and eyelids, go to goodwill and get something presentable, then go to the employment office, and learn how to interview. Then take any job you can get, as it's easier to find a job when you have one.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 12/27/09 - 10:31 am
If your pet is a such a

If your pet is a such a member of your family then protect them. Would you allow your child to play on the road. No. Then keep your pet leashed, in a fenced area or inside your home. You can't love them that much if you let them roam the neighborhood and play in the middle of traffic.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 12/27/09 - 10:44 am
So true bailmeout2! One can

So true bailmeout2! One can achieve their dreams anytime in life they choose. Its very liberating.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/27/09 - 11:59 am
I do not know how many

I do not know how many posters have viewed this. To me this 2 hour video connects with every opinion posted by the AC and posters from the very beginning. If you have time, view this link and I believe it may restructure a lot of your opinions and post. I know I will get a lot of flak from this. Could it be truth or ??????????

Bubblesup
Bubblesup 12/27/09 - 12:04 pm
To those pitiful victims who

To those pitiful victims who say they are out of work and can't find any jobs anywhere. From someone who knows. Get out there and apply for jobs all over the US. Be prepared to uproot your family and take an adventure. Don't cling to your little warm cocoon of comfort. Even if you have to move to OMG North Dakota, or Arizona, or someplace else you never considered living There are jobs out there if you enlarge your radius of interest. You can choose your destiny. Hopefully, it isn't Augusta, GA.

KrispyKremgle
KrispyKremgle 12/27/09 - 12:16 pm
Bubblesup, If she waited 12

Bubblesup, If she waited 12 years after "going to jail" to try and find a "decent job", I can't imagine she is really serious about trying.

Bubblesup
Bubblesup 12/27/09 - 12:27 pm
Perhaps she just got out,

Perhaps she just got out, after 12 years. Go forth, single mother, North Dakota is calling. Pack your mittens and a down coat.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/27/09 - 12:34 pm
Bubbles is right: if you

Bubbles is right: if you can't find it here, look elsewhere. I had some bad choices as a teen, took a "crappy" sales job, and stayed in the same company for 20 yrs. Ended up retiring with my financial future assured. Since I just can't seem to take orders from ANYONE, I have created my own job/business. Don't let others who focus on your negative past prevent you from a successful tomorrow. Whether you fail or succeed, the ONLY reason is the person who greets you in the mirror.

Bubblesup
Bubblesup 12/27/09 - 12:41 pm
100% in agreement RIP. I too

100% in agreement RIP. I too have been around the world and to a few county fairs. Each job was an adventure that opened my window of sight on the world. There is always a better place to go if you do not like where you are. It just takes stones, or ovaries, whichever, and guts to get the heck up and move on.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/27/09 - 01:15 pm
Sometimes the "geographical

Sometimes the "geographical solution" is indeed the best. There's no doubt in my mind had I remained in my hometown I'd be incarcerated or dead, no doubt at all.