Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

THIS IS A RANT to all the U.S. senators and House members. If there was ever a time for we the people to demand term limits on these politicians, it's now because they certainly are not representing the people. They are only representing pharmaceuticals, big business, insurance companies, and any other group that floods them with lobbyists.

THANK GOODNESS someone addressed the loud, screaming commercials on TV, and thank goodness for the mute button. Do you think we would buy your product? Can you hear us now?

I VOLUNTEER at a local charity, and we are dumped on every year in December. If you want your donations to get out in time for the holidays, try starting in October.

THIS IS A RANT to all those who burn leaves and inflict their smelly acrid smoke on their neighbors.

SOME SAY IT IS our responsibility for the way Washington does business. They say we need to get out and vote. Unless they have blinders on, they would see that the people we elect turn to their own agendas once elected. What they say during a campaign changes when they get to Washington.

WE NEED TO DIVERT more of the lottery money to primary education during these hard times, on both sides of the border. With both states cutting funds to our schools, it shows their lack of priorities.

HAD A HOSPITAL STAY recently. How do they justify $540 a day just for a room. This is the part of high health care costs that needs to be fixed.

THIS IS A RANT for North Augusta's so-called "green" attitude. I would like to know how much energy (and money) is wasted by the ridiculously conspicuous lights at the new Taj Mahal, whoops, I meant the Municipal Center. First of all, it is a horrible waste of natural resources. Secondly, it is tacky and ostentatious in the extreme, and thirdly, it is an abuse of taxpayer funds. Why is this town always so crass and pathetic in its attempt to look sophisticated? It would be so much more attractive to simply be able to look at nature.

THIS IS A RAVE for Lights of the South. It is the best bargain in the area. You ride on hay in a wagon behind a tractor and see myriads of wonderful lights, then go down Lillipop Lane to a real playhouse and train rides for small ones! Wonderful Santa, too!

AIKEN PARENTS can now go online and check out their kids' school grades, attendance records and assignments. On-the-ball parents have always kept up with this by being good parents. Alas, most parents nowadays are not on-the-ball parents, thus we see soaring crime rates and falling school grades.

robbie1
robbie1 12/24/09 - 06:09 am
A couple of comments on our

A couple of comments on our government. Our government is the best lobby money can buy. If you're unhappy that your rep isn't doing what they said during the campaign, then I recommend you do a little better work to be a responsible voter. Stop voting straight ticket, especially if you have to hold your nose to do it. Don't depend on your favorite news channel for the truth. Find out what your candidate says. If they don't support your values or beliefs, don't vote for them. Take a look at who their backers are and who they have a history of working with. Look at their history. Political leopards do not change their stripes very often. We have the government we deserve.

the kid
the kid 12/24/09 - 06:49 am
robbie i hope you will open

robbie i hope you will open some peoples eyes the next election.

1941
1941 12/24/09 - 06:53 am
I can not understand, why

I can not understand, why some people are upset about government, and how things are beign done.It has been the same for decades.When certain parties are in charge, some say the country is going to the dogs, and when the other party is in charge,everything is great.It only seems that way if your party is not in the white house,or is in the white house!!!!!! We should be accustomed to the way things work by now!!

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/24/09 - 07:07 am
1941, I understand you aren't

1941, I understand you aren't as concerned as many of us are since the vast majority of your lifetime is already behind you. In the same situation, I probably wouldn't be as upset at the the long-term damage Obama's Marxist/Socialist agenda is working towards inflicting.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/24/09 - 07:09 am
Oh, I need to be fair. The

Oh, I need to be fair. The same goes for GGpap, chimer and corgimom too. Merry Christmas! Bundle up nice an warm if you are heading out this morning.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/24/09 - 07:11 am
You are right Robbie,,, we

You are right Robbie,,, we have the gov. we deserve...When you hold your nose to vote the straight tkt. something's wrong..

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 12/24/09 - 07:38 am
That sounds all fine & dandy

That sounds all fine & dandy vaughtsee24.... but if it actually were that easy for a lot of people we'd be doing it. I had to give up a personal plan with the big blue because they went up to $458 a MONTH on me.... and with a chronic condition no one will insure me on a private plan anymore. After that I had to give up self employment and go back to work for the man just so I can have so-so insurance that still doesn't cover everything I need.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/24/09 - 07:41 am
vaughtsee24 is a spam robot

vaughtsee24 is a spam robot that posts all over the AC every morning with some scam offer. Normally the AC "webmasters" clean all that crap away, but they are all on vacation this week. So say whatever you want to, nobody is around to delete it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/24/09 - 07:46 am
In other words Spam is

In other words Spam is everywhere, we can't get away from it!!

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/24/09 - 07:50 am
seenit, Yeah, but if you can

seenit, Yeah, but if you can find and shoot a spam then fry it up, it makes great breakfast sammiches! Saw your note about the Garmin, hope it brings him years of fun, only problem I had with mine was my wife getting jealous cause I kept talking back to it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/24/09 - 08:00 am
I can see why she would be

I can see why she would be jealous,,,with All your many talents..& we know how you entertain us everyday on here..You can't beat a good sense of humor..Most men would be surprised to learn how much that means to a woman..Right up there with good looks & taking that bath everyday!!

fish2
fish2 12/24/09 - 08:04 am
Na'Tricianna Ma'Khayvighnon

Na'Tricianna Ma'Khayvighnon Philpot---mom do I have to write my name on all my school papers?

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/24/09 - 08:06 am
seenit - LOL! Well G'mornin

seenit - LOL! Well G'mornin and Merry Christmas to y'all. My demented and (frequently too) sarcastic sense of humor has landed me not only lots of wimmens, but a passel of well-deserved butt-kickings too!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/24/09 - 08:09 am
Have a great Christmas

Have a great Christmas Everyone,, short am for me,,have to cook some...

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/24/09 - 08:12 am
fish2 - I think the day the

fish2 - I think the day the poor kid gets it right, they ought to immediately present her with a GED!

RAWR
RAWR 12/24/09 - 08:15 am
Do you really think $540 is

Do you really think $540 is alot of money for staying in a hospital bed for a day? Consider everything involved in that price. The actual room, the equipment in the room, the furniture, the food, the staff, the electricity, maintenance, etc ... Recovery rooms after surgeries cost more than that.

RAWR
RAWR 12/24/09 - 08:21 am
To the grumpy volunteer ...

To the grumpy volunteer ... you should be happy that people are still donating. Maybe suggest to whichever charity you are volunteering for that they need to start soliciting for donations earlier than what they do? Don't rant to the people that donating.

RAWR
RAWR 12/24/09 - 08:23 am
Stupid AC wont let me edit or

Stupid AC wont let me edit or delete my mistakes!

rjay
rjay 12/24/09 - 08:40 am
merry christmas everyone!

merry christmas everyone!

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/24/09 - 08:55 am
I rather like the fact that

I rather like the fact that people can't go back and change their mistakes.. It could make some think about what they are writing, before they post.

RAWR
RAWR 12/24/09 - 09:00 am
Well omnom I only left out a

Well omnom I only left out a word because I used donating instead donate. Which I credit to my fingers being faster then my brain.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/24/09 - 09:02 am
Mr Mnom, it has certainly

Mr Mnom, it has certainly calmed (and cramped the style) of a few of the trolls that would come on here then delete their comments after picking a fight in an attempt to get the responder banned. Notice, for example and not limited to, the paucity of posts from chimer and HH (under whatever name) etc since this started. It's very revealing! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 12/24/09 - 09:04 am
We know who caused the edit

We know who caused the edit button to be deleted. Oh the so smart one.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/24/09 - 09:17 am
RIP explained why the edit

RIP explained why the edit and delete functions were disabled quite clearly. If you choose not to read and believe, we have no control over that and can't help ya. Merry Christmas! Do you get your kids tomorrow?

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/24/09 - 09:20 am
A Merry CHRISTmas to

A Merry CHRISTmas to everyone.....got the whole family coming in and lots of cooking to do.....pecan glazed ham....pork tenderloin en Croute...mmmm and winter squash (I grew myself!).........................

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/24/09 - 09:25 am
I didn't mean to call anyone

I didn't mean to call anyone out rawr! I was just trying to point out the upside in the situation! I gotta try and think positively, being downsized in January..

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 12/24/09 - 09:28 am
I have my boys until friday

I have my boys until friday night. Then me and the oldest are going hunting for the weekend. Merry Christmas.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/24/09 - 09:29 am
Y'all have fun! Merry

Y'all have fun! Merry Christmas!

crackerjack
crackerjack 12/24/09 - 09:34 am
Unfortunately, some people

Unfortunately, some people have to vote straight party tickets, because they are illiterate, and have only been taught one word DEMOCRAT.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/24/09 - 09:41 am
crackerjack, and that is also

crackerjack, and that is also what the drawing on the back of their "free biscut and coffee" coupon/voting card shows them to do.

DaVitte slaying suspect still in Florida

A month after the slaying of 55-year-old Bill DaVitte, suspect Daniel Nelson Robinson, 21, remains in a Jacksonville, Fla., detention facility.