Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

RANT TO MY NEIGHBORS in the Merrymont subdivision in Martinez that have the Rottweilers that get out of their yard. If one of them comes in my yard again and growls and barks at me, I will call the police and have animal control take it away.

APPARENTLY, THE AIKEN school system teaches courses like "Professionalism 101," which teaches "skills such as interviewing." Interviewing? No wonder public schools can't get students educated. What horse radish!

HOW SAD TO SEE how ignorant many are of the history of Israel since 1948. Israelis bought the land in the West Bank and Gaza, literally bought it, and at inflated prices. The land is not "illegally occupied," as a recent ranter contends, and in fact Arabs want that land only because for 2,000 years they let it go to ruin; then they saw how it flourished when Jews fixed it up, so now they want it.

RAVE FOR ALL of our hardworking law enforcement officers. The holiday season is always a busy one for them, and they are working hard to make it a good one for all.

U.S. REP. JOHN SPRATT, a South Carolina Democrat, says he will seek a 15th term. How sad that so many egotists think they own their high political offices. Anybody who's running for a 15th term has allowed every kind of crime against Americans to happen on his watch.

WHY DO SOME mothers feel bound to use every letter in the alphabet when naming their baby? Give the kid a break!

I WOULD LIKE to express my rave to those who helped my kids' Christmas possible. This was my first time asking for help since I got unemployed from the VA and I greatly appreciate the help I received. Have a Merry Xmas and thank you again, Augusta Chronicle, and those who donate to the Empty Stocking Fund.

WE WOULD LIKE to thank all of the Augusta Fire Department members for the fruit basket they give the widowed ladies every year.

I WOULD JUST LIKE to say thank you to the Salvation Army. Every time I go by the Salvation Army I have to put some money in because I think back to when my father was a sharecropper and we didn't have anything for Christmas, and the Salvation Army would always help my mother get us a toy and some food for Christmas. I would just like to tell the people out there to always think about the Salvation Army when you go by there.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/23/09 - 04:05 am
A RAVE for the last three

A RAVE for the last three published raves today. It's a nice way to end the column at this time if year.

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/23/09 - 04:47 am
regarding the 4th to the last

regarding the 4th to the last rant.. they must be referring to that child in the AC most e-mailed stories list... poor thing.. i have a hard enough time getting people to spell my last name right.. at least they can usually pronounce it!

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/23/09 - 05:00 am
How do you pronounce "Mnom"

How do you pronounce "Mnom" anyway? I've been wondering for a while. G'mornin and Merry Christmas!

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/23/09 - 05:48 am
haha! merry Christmas Eve's

haha! merry Christmas Eve's Eve, Unk!

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/23/09 - 05:52 am
A RAVE for Rep. Bart Stupak

A RAVE for Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.) for sticking to his moral principles. Those who are interested should search for "Stupak Amendment" in the House version of the Health Care proposal.

scoobynews
scoobynews 12/23/09 - 06:39 am
Learning how to interview is

Learning how to interview is a life skill just as cooking and health classes are. Believe it or not but not all kids will go on to college. Someone has to work at the land field, be custodains, flip burgers, work the fields, dig the ditches, and etc. I do not say this to be funny because this is reality. Every child might have the opportunity to go on to higher learning but that doesn't mean they will so I see nothing wrong with schools prepearing them to be productive citizens.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/23/09 - 07:02 am
To the first ranter - I see

To the first ranter - I see no reason to have to be terrorized by your neighbor's dogs. Even if you call animal control it will take some time for them to get there. I'd get a gun permit and carry one for protection. Your neighbor's right to own a dog stops when it infringes on your right to be free of fear of them.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 12/23/09 - 07:33 am
Shoot the damn dog.

Shoot the damn dog.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 12/23/09 - 07:36 am
Can't stand those dogs

Can't stand those dogs either. Right up there with pit bulls. The dog would be so dead in my yard. They kill.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/23/09 - 07:50 am
Well hollyberry I see U are

Well hollyberry I see U are wideawake & bushytail this am..

Martinez
Martinez 12/23/09 - 08:18 am
Save the dog - don't shoot

Save the dog - don't shoot it. The dog is an animal and behaving as such. The owner is being irresponsible. Yes you hear a lot about Rots and Pitts but that is because they are very strong animals. If/when they attack, their damage is more severe. Plenty of families own them, train them, treat them right and properly control them without ever seeing a single sign of aggression.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/23/09 - 08:31 am
Martinez, do you kill fire

Martinez, do you kill fire ants in your yard? They are just doing their thing but also can cause great discomfort and harm to humans.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/23/09 - 08:43 am
Now Unk,,, A dog & an ant is

Now Unk,,, A dog & an ant is a looong stretch,, doncha think? I love dogs too Martinez,, I have 2 & they are driving me crazy,, a little like husbands,,can't live with them, can't live without em...

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/23/09 - 08:46 am
seenit, yup it's a stretch

seenit, yup it's a stretch since you have a choice on a dog moving in! lol G'mornin to ya.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/23/09 - 08:50 am
I don't want anything else on

I don't want anything else on my property that eats or poops! That being said, if I am threatened on my property, be it man or beast, then I will take an action to completely neutralize that threat. Understand that a dachshund and a rottweiler will be given different consideration!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/23/09 - 08:50 am
And a GOOD MORNING to you

And a GOOD MORNING to you Uncle..

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/23/09 - 08:52 am
CBBP, those yappy anklebiters

CBBP, those yappy anklebiters are sometimes difficult to hit unless you are using snakeshot loads. At least the Rott gives ya a nice sight picture.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/23/09 - 08:53 am
Happy Holidays to all, and

Happy Holidays to all, and here's hoping you can get through the holidays even with the relative who really gets on your nerves, in a pleasant state of mind!

robbie1
robbie1 12/23/09 - 08:54 am
I had a neighbor who was

I had a neighbor who was irresponsible with his pets. They were golden retrievers and just as scary when they charged us, growling and barking, in our own yard. I warned him twice, then proceeded to call animal control EVERY single time they got loose. Animal control got tired of visiting us, so they eventually forced the neighbor to control his dogs. Its sad when owners act like this, because dogs that are taught ot behave are a pleasure.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/23/09 - 09:03 am
Seriously, my daughter walked

Seriously, my daughter walked and took care of most of the neighborhood dogs while the owners were on vacation over the years. So most of the time when one (or two, or three) escapes they come straight to my porch looking for her. We've got a list of numbers on the wall of the owners and pet descriptions, So I place the call and hook them to a leash and wait for them to get picked up. Two goofy labs scared the heck outta me sneaking up on me at 3am this morning. But they are safely back in their own house now.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/23/09 - 09:07 am
My Good Ole Boy wants me to

My Good Ole Boy wants me to get him a better GPS system for Christmas,,, Do any of you know the best one to buy??

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/23/09 - 09:14 am
Most of my driving GPS

Most of my driving GPS experience is with a Garmin Street Pilot which works great. I also have friends with Tom-Tom brand which they rave over. I'm not aware of any to avoid. I look for the one with the sexiest female voice personally.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/23/09 - 09:18 am
Save the dogs: shoot the

Save the dogs: shoot the owner.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/23/09 - 09:18 am
Thanks Uncle,, he did mention

Thanks Uncle,, he did mention Garmin.. I might have to ck with Pro Bass,,, his fav. store, besides Home Depot..

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/23/09 - 09:19 am
Sounds like a very good boy

Sounds like a very good boy indeed!

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/23/09 - 09:25 am
I'm too old to see those

I'm too old to see those little GPS things.... I use a laptop with Street And Trips 2009 with GPS locator... 17" screen, even a blind guy like me can see that :)

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/23/09 - 09:26 am
The "Microsoft Mary" voice

The "Microsoft Mary" voice gives Strom his needed female voice fix... can't get him outta my truck.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/23/09 - 09:30 am
RIP, that is why the Garmin

RIP, that is why the Garmin and Tom-Tom GPS's have those sexy voices hidden inside. They talk you through it so you don't have to be able to see at all. Also they can get condescending and sarcastic when you don't follow their directions because you know a better way. Almost like having a real woman sitting next to you and navigating.......

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/23/09 - 09:31 am
RIP You sound like a geek

RIP You sound like a geek with all those laptops & up to date equip.. I don't even know what a Street And Trips 2009 is..

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/23/09 - 09:40 am
Geek? I can't deny that one.

Geek? I can't deny that one. But I look like Alan Jackson, the country singer... can I get some anti-geek props on that? '-)