Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

THANKS TO OUR soldiers everywhere.

IN 1946 our class had 36 students, and everyone learned to read. We had no advantage of genes or brains, so what's the difference between then and now? We all, rich and poor, had parents who wanted us to succeed and they made sure we were disciplined from birth to obey parents and teachers and to work hard. Does such discipline even exist in the 21st century?

RANT TO THE THIEVES who turned my grandchildren's Christmas into fear by stealing their four-wheelers. Instead of looking forward to "Santa," they are now afraid of "bad men" coming into their yard. They stole not only the four-wheelers but also their "Christmas spirit."

I HOPE THE THIEVES who broke into my daughter's car at Academy Sports enjoy her Christmas gifts. You know what goes around comes around. They'll get theirs in the end.

I'M A WAITER at a local Waffle House, and I'm tired of the Rants & Raves about tips. Mine have always been pretty good.

THIS IS A RANT to your paper. You keep shoving Tiger Woods down our throat. Who cares about hearing about that sicko? There's other more worthwhile news out there to print, especially this time of year.

THIS IS NEITHER a rant nor a rave but a comment. Jesus have mercy. Save the trees and kill the babies. Save the whales and kill the children. Save the dogs and kill the unborn. Save the planet and kill the innocent. Save the country and kill the people.

THE LETTER to the editor titled "Israeli wall is there for good reason" neglected to point out that the wall and all the Israeli settlements in the West Bank are on illegally occupied land. Israel started the 1967 war and took possession of the West Bank from Jordan. U.N. Resolution 242, which the U.S. voted for, states that the continued occupation of the territories taken by Israel is illegal. Israel was created because of the persecution of Jews in Europe. Now the Israelis persecute the Palestinians whose land they have taken by force.

SENSIBLE THAT the Augusta Commission voted down City Attorney Chiquita Johnson's proposals to give her more power that she does not deserve or need to do her job. Did she break the law with her proposals? Why not at least fire her while they're about it?

IT WAS GREAT to see all of the parents and students of A.R. Johnson support their school's recent faculty talent show and PTSA silent auction. Many came straight from work, still in their work clothes.

anotherday
anotherday 12/21/09 - 01:59 am
The night of the talent show

The night of the talent show for Johnson I was there and I have NEVER seen so much support from parents at any function in Richmond Co.. Way to go showing your children their education is important to you! There was standing room only and not one person complained.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/21/09 - 04:52 am
A RANT for no Tiger stories

A RANT for no Tiger stories today. I suppose I'll have to go find some.

catfish201
catfish201 12/21/09 - 05:53 am
AR Johnson is a fantastic

AR Johnson is a fantastic school.

robbie1
robbie1 12/21/09 - 06:41 am
To those that had their tings

To those that had their tings stolen. That is so sad, but do not let it steal your Christmas Spirit. That cannot be stolen. You have to let someone take it. Have a Merry Christmas anyway.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/21/09 - 08:02 am
A RANT to the idiot

A RANT to the idiot homeowners and business that leave their automatic landscape sprinklers on in weather like this. There are reports of patches of ice on the roads in various areas. Y'all be careful out there this morning.

Just me 2
Just me 2 12/21/09 - 09:20 am
Merry Christmas to

Merry Christmas to EVERYONE!!!!

corgimom
corgimom 12/21/09 - 09:36 am
To rant #1- how many mentally

To rant #1- how many mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, mentally disabled, autistic, and crack-baby children were in that class in 1946? None? Thought so.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 12/21/09 - 09:40 am
It is a shame about the thief

It is a shame about the thief stealing the childrens toys...however, children need to be taught about 'bad' people. Stop trying to hide everything from them. Kids are very smart. They need to be cautious. If you alert them to these sorts of things while they are young, they will not be so scared. It's these parents who try and hide EVERY evil of the world from their children. Be honest, always. Can never go wrong with that.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 12/21/09 - 09:42 am
Ranter #5, I suspect you get

Ranter #5, I suspect you get good tips because you make every effort to get the order right, get it to the diners still hot, probably don't say "yeah" to questions or refer to the older male and female patrons as "guys." How close am I?

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 12/21/09 - 09:44 am
And yes, I mean a very early

And yes, I mean a very early age! Bad times we live in. They need to be taught everything about people/circumstances. Being hyper aware of their surroundings and folks that approach them.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 12/21/09 - 09:48 am
If you don't wish to read

If you don't wish to read about 'sicko' Tiger Woods, try this. When you see an article or any thing related to him, turn to the other page, or click your mouse to the next thread. You know...its very simple. Don't know who you are but, I don't think the AC puts all their garbage out with one specific person in mind.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 12/21/09 - 09:56 am
Corgimom is channeling left

Corgimom is channeling left wing excuse factory maven Pelosi again. I missed 1946 by only a few years; she asks, " (H)ow many mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, mentally disabled, autistic, ...children" were there? I suspect just as many as today; the only difference is discipline; every child was expected to act within societal and school norms. There were only differing levels of ablility; disability was not an excuse to act out, an enshrined "right" to disrupt and special treatment. As to the "crack babies" another 'special' group, I'm guessing you were no star in history; crack is a product of the late sixties, so I would venture it's safe to assume: None.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/21/09 - 09:57 am
When Ritalin replaced the

When Ritalin replaced the paddles and switches, we lost......

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/21/09 - 10:04 am
Oh my, "drugs are bad"...

Oh my, "drugs are bad"... "take your ritalin"... and we wonder why kids are confused?

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/21/09 - 10:08 am
What is missing today that

What is missing today that children heard in 1946? "Wait till your father gets home." 2009 Version: "You wouldn't do that if you had a father."

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/21/09 - 10:17 am
As I recall it, it was "Wait

As I recall it, it was "Wait till your father gets home and he'll give you some more!" "Now quit crying and get those chores done!"

willienelson
willienelson 12/21/09 - 10:23 am
The main difference between

The main difference between now & 1946 is the absence of A bomb drills. Just crawling under your desk improved one's desire to learn more by 30%. Everything was better in 1946, just ask moms & dads of that era who wondered what their kids were becoming. They thought it must surely be the end of the world because things were so bad. Every generation has thought this. I ain't saying things aren't bad now. They are. I'm just saying we all look back with more fondness than we look forward.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/21/09 - 10:30 am
I'd say the events of the

I'd say the events of the 60's and 70's have borne out those worried Moms and Dads of 1946 were quite clairvoyant.

HollyHoly
HollyHoly 12/21/09 - 10:48 am
happy holidays

happy holidays all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/21/09 - 10:55 am
...and a Kaptivating Kwanzaa

...and a Kaptivating Kwanzaa to you and yours.

corgimom
corgimom 12/21/09 - 11:19 am
dstewart, your ignorance is

dstewart, your ignorance is showing. Children with those issues did not attend public school back then, they attended special schools or were not educated at all. Tell me all about the autistic children that YOU went to school with.

corgimom
corgimom 12/21/09 - 11:28 am
I guess today I'm left wing.

I guess today I'm left wing. dstewart said so. And of course, he also knows that I am not in agreement with all the mainstreaming that is done today. (I guess he thinks that's left wing, who knows?)

teachingthemasses
teachingthemasses 12/21/09 - 11:32 am
In 1946 discipline was

In 1946 discipline was allowed in schools and parents did not enable their kids to be spoiled brats. Children are not disciplined and the teachers have to try and maintain control without any real authority. If you put a child in time out, the only discipline left, parents are at the school complaining about how you are warping their childs psyche. 1946 and 2009 have different children. In 1946 children respected adults and authority... not so in 2009.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/21/09 - 11:38 am
TTM: Lovely post. And thanks

TTM: Lovely post. And thanks for your sacrifice in being an educator. Merry Christmas.

RoadKing09
RoadKing09 12/21/09 - 11:44 am
In 1946 era children were

In 1946 era children were raised...today they grow up like weeds.

corgimom
corgimom 12/21/09 - 11:45 am
Parents have the right to

Parents have the right to name their children what they want, but Na'Tricianna Ma'Khayvighnon. My God. That poor child.

dani
dani 12/21/09 - 12:00 pm
Self-profiling.

Self-profiling.

Irish
Irish 12/21/09 - 01:01 pm
I would just like to relate a

I would just like to relate a situation that occurred about a month ago as I was going through our annual needy family list for the Christmas Charity giving. I stumbled on the name of the single mom Mrs. Irish and I had contributed to last year. Not only was she back but this year there is one more Kid. Is this the trend . To just continue in the same condition year after year expecting others generosity to make up for lack of responsiblity. Once again no mention of an adult male in the house hold....

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/21/09 - 02:30 pm
A new poll shows that Tiger

A new poll shows that Tiger Woods’ popularity has dropped from 85 percent to 33 percent. President Obama’s popularity is also at 33 percent, but Tiger had more fun getting there. -- Conan O'Brien

KSL
KSL 12/21/09 - 02:46 pm
Turn back the clock to when a

Turn back the clock to when a woman receiving assistance who got pregnant, such assistance was terminated because there was "a man in the picture." Irresponsible behavior was punished, so to speak. Now it's rewarded.

Marijuana-based drug works differently

Georgia Regents University and the state of Georgia have worked for months to land a marijuana-derived drug clinical trial for children with difficult seizure disorders.