Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

WHAT HIGHWAY ROBBERY to try to charge a whole dollar an hour for people to drive and park their cars to shop and dine and enjoy downtown Augusta. And yet some of these same downtown merchants and their workers would admit that they were among those taking the closest front door parking spots that they wanted their customers to have in order to walk into their establishments. One big reason that malls are so popular is that there is ample free parking.

OK, LET'S SEE who will be first to crack down on speeders. Aiken, Columbia, McDuffie, Richmond? What county will take the lead in this problem? State troopers have nice cars but don't seem to care enough to stop it.

FOR THE IDIOT that put out poison at Midland Valley Country Club: You killed a beautiful Siberian husky. He had a horrible death.

TO ALL THE PEOPLE that ran for office in the Dec. 1 race for city commission: The election is over. You took the time to put up the signs. Take the time to take them down.

OBAMA TELLS Republicans to stop frightening Americans. It's not Republicans that are frightening Americans; it's Obama.

THIS IS FOR the Rants & Raves and all you people complaining about waitresses, good or bad. The majority of waitresses get tips. A lot of them expect more. You get what you treat the customer.

IF YOU DON'T TIP but a quarter, tip something to show appreciation. After all, this is America.

MY HUSBAND AND I always tip. Most of the time we tip too much. However, you waitresses and waiters knew what the job paid when you took it. Your problem will not go away. Think about it. How long have waiters and waitresses been complaining? If you are not satisfied with your pay, find another job. Your complaints make me want to quit tipping or leave less.

TO THE WAITRESSES ranting about getting tips: It's simple; good waitresses get good tips. If you give sorry service, sometimes you don't even get a tip.

IF THE WAIT STAFF did their job like they should, they would receive more tips. I tip according to the service I receive from my waiter/waitress. It could be a nickel or a $10 bill. It depends on them, not the food, not the wait-to-be-seated time or my mood.

CONGRATS TO John S. Davidson Fine Arts School for making the top 100 high schools in the U.S.

THE LATEST BUZZWORD from the sky-is-falling climategate bunch is "divergence." Watch out for that word. It means the facts have "diverged" from their predictions but they insist they are right and forget any inconvenient facts.

Pu239
Pu239 12/15/09 - 10:24 pm
whatever it takes....

whatever it takes....

sassylassie
sassylassie 12/15/09 - 11:42 pm
Raves to the two ladies

Raves to the two ladies working at Goodwill in North Augusta this past Sunday. I had a return and they were so kind and friendly. Their attitudes are to be commended as well as their professionalism. I also appreciated the Christmas music that was playing. Thanks so much--it really lifted my mood! That's why I love shopping at that particular store. Keep up the good work, ladies. Maybe you could teach the employees at the Martinez store a thing or two!

sassylassie
sassylassie 12/15/09 - 11:44 pm
Rant to the female clerk

Rant to the female clerk working at register 2 this past Sunday at Big Lots at North Leg--your attitude and demeanor were revolting, and obviously you need to find a position where you do not deal with the public. However, the other employees were friendly and courteous--thanks to each of you!

sassylassie
sassylassie 12/15/09 - 11:46 pm
Thanks to the female Wal-Mart

Thanks to the female Wal-Mart clerk at the Evans store Sunday afternoon. Your attitude was wonderful and I appreciated the "Merry Christmas" you shared--even waiting on my husband to run back to get another item! You are to be commended for your efforts during this busy time of year! Keep up the good work!

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/16/09 - 03:03 am
"interesting", the online

"interesting", the online edition of the AC for Wednesday the 16th has been updated and there is no "Rants and Raves" story in the Metro section. Just an oversight? Or is this something more nefarious.....

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/16/09 - 04:21 am
This is a neat Catch-22. If

This is a neat Catch-22. If somebody wants to leave a Rant about the "Rants and Raves" not being there, where do you post it?

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/16/09 - 05:14 am
Hmmm, the plot thickens. The

Hmmm, the plot thickens. The Rants and Raves appear in Wednesday's print edition, just not in the online edition. Maybe the Augusta Chronicle's Executive Editor would care to explain this "oversight". You can reach Alan English at (706) 823-3487 or alan.english@augustachronicle.com

Black Betty
Black Betty 12/16/09 - 07:59 am
whatever happened to

whatever happened to patriciathomas on here? I haven't been on in many months.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/16/09 - 08:03 am
Miss Ann, she/he is alive and

Miss Ann, she/he is alive and well after being forced into a new display name. Keep your eyes open, you can spot her/him. I like your new name too!

Black Betty
Black Betty 12/16/09 - 08:20 am
Ah, I kind of thought that

Ah, I kind of thought that was the case. Thanks, UncleStrom!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/16/09 - 08:57 am
Boogaloo, if I were a

Boogaloo, if I were a gun-toting fanatic, the attacking dog and the threatening owner would have been full of bullet holes. I didn't call the sheriff or animal control because I was visiting a homeowner there; I just let him know about it and left it up to him. After all, his family walks there, too.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/16/09 - 09:00 am
Bushwhacker, your insult

Bushwhacker, your insult doesn't apply to me, I'm female. And we don't have to go looking for crime; it has come to us. Haven't you noticed?

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 12/16/09 - 09:28 am
Crimes that don't happen

Crimes that don't happen don't make the news. This is a simple concept. Too bad more people don't get it. It's like the 'wild west' will occur when more people exercise their right to carry. The opposite is true- those who have been screened do not go 'dirty harry,' and crime rates go down. Every time. Without exception. Opponents when faced wwith this say they do, but when challenged to the numbers mumble something like "..too many to count..." Since when? In the fifteen years I have legally carried a firearm I have only had to display it twice and pull it once. In all three incidents I am certain a felony would have taken place if I had not been armed. In the last instance they fled, and unlike Augusta cops, a citizen can't just shoot whomever they please. The attitude of Augusta's finest was "no harm, no foul," and they didn't even make a report.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 12/16/09 - 09:30 am
In the last case, I suppose

In the last case, I suppose it was to keep the fiction going the Riverwalk (where this occured) as a safe place.

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.