Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

WHAT HIGHWAY ROBBERY to try to charge a whole dollar an hour for people to drive and park their cars to shop and dine and enjoy downtown Augusta. And yet some of these same downtown merchants and their workers would admit that they were among those taking the closest front door parking spots that they wanted their customers to have in order to walk into their establishments. One big reason that malls are so popular is that there is ample free parking.

FOR THE IDIOT that put out poison at Midland Valley Country Club: You killed a beautiful Siberian husky. He had a horrible death.

TO ALL THE PEOPLE that ran for office in the Dec. 1 race for city commission: The election is over. You took the time to put up the signs. Take the time to take them down.

OBAMA TELLS Republicans to stop frightening Americans. It's not Republicans that are frightening Americans; it's Obama.

THIS IS FOR the Rants & Raves and all you people complaining about waitresses, good or bad. The majority of waitresses get tips. A lot of them expect more. You get what you treat the customer.

IF YOU DON'T TIP but a quarter, tip something to show appreciation. After all, this is America.

MY HUSBAND AND I always tip. Most of the time we tip too much. However, you waitresses and waiters knew what the job paid when you took it. Your problem will not go away. Think about it. How long have waiters and waitresses been complaining? If you are not satisfied with your pay, find another job. Your complaints make me want to quit tipping or leave less.

TO THE WAITRESSES ranting about getting tips: It's simple; good waitresses get good tips. If you give sorry service, sometimes you don't even get a tip.

IF THE WAIT STAFF did their job like they should, they would receive more tips. I tip according to the service I receive from my waiter/waitress. It could be a nickel or a $10 bill. It depends on them, not the food, not the wait-to-be-seated time or my mood.

CONGRATS TO John S. Davidson Fine Arts School for making the top 100 high schools in the U.S.

THE LATEST BUZZWORD from the sky-is-falling climategate bunch is "divergence." Watch out for that word. It means the facts have "diverged" from their predictions but they insist they are right and forget any inconvenient facts.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/15/09 - 11:14 am
We'll see. I won't bring up

We'll see. I won't bring up Tennesee Tech out of respect.

dclark1983
dclark1983 12/15/09 - 11:17 am
My eyeballs tell me he has a

My eyeballs tell me he has a better and quicker release, more accurate on the deep ball and slightly better decision making. Tebow is a fullback that can pass. No Murphy and Harvin exposed Tebow. Anyone with any football sense can see that.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/15/09 - 11:22 am
dclark - dangit! Stop it, I'm

dclark - dangit! Stop it, I'm not sure I can take too much of agreeing with you! lol

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/15/09 - 11:24 am
What has Tn Tech got to do

What has Tn Tech got to do with Brantley? I don't think you want to compare strenght of schedule this year. But, back to the subject. You are entitled to your opinion, but to say that he is better than Tebow is crazy talk. Until he wins 2 SEC titles, a heisman, and oh, a National Championship, I would be careful in making such a claim based on stats against a div 2 school in mop up duty. He has thrown exactly 1 TD pass against SEC comp. Just saying... Oh, and by the way,

dclark1983
dclark1983 12/15/09 - 11:32 am
I bet he doesn't have issues

I bet he doesn't have issues in the red zone like Tebow. He won't have to tuck and run it. You will see, Brantley is a better Quarterback (didn't say athlete) than Tebow. I'm not knocking Tebow's accomplishments. I would not go as far to say that he is better than Herschel, but great in his own right.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 12/15/09 - 12:37 pm
dear rant#11, my sentiments

dear rant#11, my sentiments exactly, not enuff praise and recognition ever goes to davidson/johnson/walker for the fantastic job they do educating students....it's a sahme that the inept and totally useless school board(especially ms. cain) flat out refuses to impliment the same learning model throughout the entire school district, their main concern is money and sports, they could care less if the student graduating can read or not...their idea of success is "dumbing down" the curriculum in order to keep the athletes eligible and increase graduation rates to justify continued spending on useless, wasteful and unnecessary programs and athletic venues for schools that consistantly fail to meet ayp, have low graduation rates and test schools..but in the world of ms. cain "everything is perfect in shang-ra-la called the richmond county school district"

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 12/15/09 - 12:45 pm
I think the all white media

I think the all white media killed the dog.

corgimom
corgimom 12/15/09 - 02:14 pm
How was the dog able to get

How was the dog able to get into poison at the Country Club? Would that be one of those deals where the owner thought it was all right to let their dog loose on the golf course, because it's all about them? The Country Club didn't kill that dog, the owner did. Selfish owner.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/15/09 - 02:26 pm
I agree, corgimom. There is a

I agree, corgimom. There is a leash law in Richmond County for dogs and cats and apparently needs to be enforced. What are the leash laws in Columbia County? I went for a walk on Brandywine Drive in Evans and a neighbor let a large dog run out and bark at me and started laughing when the dog jumped up on me. I told him to call off his dog, that there was a leash law and and he denied there was and said he wouldn't call off the dog. I warned him again to call off his dog or I would shoot the dog, because the dog was still barking and growling menacingly at me, and he said if I did he would shoot me. I was now in the MIDDLE of the road on a curve and could be hit by a car coming around, so I was worried about that, too. Thankfully, the dog lost interest and returned to his yard so I didn't have to pull my gun. I was furious that he would willfully endanger both me and that beautiful (although angry) dog. What is WRONG with people?

TechLover
TechLover 12/15/09 - 02:56 pm
saw on the news last pm that

saw on the news last pm that SC is going to start putting photos on handicap placards so the cops can tell if it is the person

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/15/09 - 03:57 pm
The ACLU or AARP or somebody

The ACLU or AARP or somebody will complain that it violates the ADA or something by putting "labels" on "special needs" folks.....that's my prediction.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 12/15/09 - 04:19 pm
Falling, I hope you reported

Falling, I hope you reported the incident to Animal Control so they can start keeping a record of complaints against this owner.

jack
jack 12/15/09 - 04:39 pm
OK, LET'S SEE who will be

OK, LET'S SEE who will be first to crack down on speeders. Aiken, Columbia, McDuffie, Richmond? What county will take the lead in this problem? State troopers have nice cars but don't seem to care enough to stop it.....Aiken, especially N Augusta.

jack
jack 12/15/09 - 04:41 pm
Bamaman, if that employee

Bamaman, if that employee doesn't have a handicap tag or window marker, call the cops and let him/her pay the $500 fine.

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 12/15/09 - 04:57 pm
FallingLeaves. Call CC

FallingLeaves. Call CC Sheriff and let them 'talk' to this person.

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 12/15/09 - 06:02 pm
Don't shoot the dog, shoot

Don't shoot the dog, shoot the owner; two back to back threats (dog then gun). Georgia has a "don't back down" law. And CC has a leash law. At this point, it's water under the bridge. Call CCSO AND Animal Control.

pommom38
pommom38 12/15/09 - 06:47 pm
What difference does it make

What difference does it make what the car LOOK'S like? If you qualify as being handicapped, (as said above, MANY reasons) it doesn't matter what they drive. What? A deaf person, or one that can't walk far, can't drive nice cars? puleazee..
To the ranter about the poison, am sorry someone lost their dog and it died such a horrible death. I hope that it wasn't at the owner's hand. That would be hard to deal with imo.
For speeders? N. Aug and Aiken w/o a doubt. They will pull you over in a second!!

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 12/15/09 - 07:16 pm
pom, speaking from

pom, speaking from experience? lol

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 12/15/09 - 07:20 pm
CC has a leash law. For what

CC has a leash law. For what it's worth, which is nothing. I had two snarling pitbulls try to get me one night as I was rolling out my trash can. I called the cops; they called animal control. Over an hour and a half later --with the dogs still prowling on my front lawn, throwing themselves at my front door when they sensed movement in my house-- animal control arrived. First, the smirking twit tried laughed I had called, then tried treating them like little errant puppies; got her [filtered word] chased back into her truck, jumping in with them snapping at her as she just managed to get the door closed without losing 50cents of buttburger. Finally they got some help and got them under control and in the truck. The owner paid a piddling fine to have them back by the next morning. Next time an attack dog comes on my property will be its last.

SalleyQ
SalleyQ 12/15/09 - 07:25 pm
Crazy stuff going on. My

Crazy stuff going on. My roommate in college was so obsurd that she called the animal control to come our residence. You want to know what for? Becasuse a bird(chimney sweep) had flown into our kitchen. When the animal control was not in working hours she decided the call the police instead. So two policemen showed up, got the dang bird out in like five minutes. And I assured them I wasn't the one who called. Very ridiculous.

pommom38
pommom38 12/15/09 - 07:54 pm
lol doyougetit.

lol doyougetit. Unfortunately, yes!!
Lil buggers got me for seat belt, and the bf for speeding. They don't play 95% of the time around here..

crackerjack
crackerjack 12/15/09 - 08:02 pm
When I go for a walk, I carry

When I go for a walk, I carry a can of Wasp Killer. It shoots 15 to 20 feet and will temporarily disable a vicious animal, or mugger as far as that goes.

nelsonhargrove
nelsonhargrove 12/15/09 - 08:53 pm
cracker, when I go for al

cracker, when I go for al walk, I carry a glock 40 and a ruger 41 mag--one or the other will disable a vicious animal from 5 feet to 100yds--maybe you need to UPGRADE!

bushwhacker
bushwhacker 12/15/09 - 09:02 pm
most people carry big guns

most people carry big guns due to shortages in other departments. it psychological from a manhood aspect. BIG GUN , LITTLE ??????

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 12/15/09 - 09:18 pm
I notice a lot of gun toting

I notice a lot of gun toting fanatics who love to post about what they are packing but never read any stories about these yahoos foiling a robbery, detering a crime, etc.

bushwhacker
bushwhacker 12/15/09 - 09:36 pm
amen boog , you would think

amen boog , you would think as many as there are they would happen upon a crime.. maybe they're huddled in their houses typing on blogs... hmmmm

bushwhacker
bushwhacker 12/15/09 - 09:37 pm
what do you think nelson?

what do you think nelson? wanna type?

Pu239
Pu239 12/15/09 - 11:10 pm
So bushwacker would that

So bushwacker would that imply you have a sippy straw?

bushwhacker