Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

WHAT HIGHWAY ROBBERY to try to charge a whole dollar an hour for people to drive and park their cars to shop and dine and enjoy downtown Augusta. And yet some of these same downtown merchants and their workers would admit that they were among those taking the closest front door parking spots that they wanted their customers to have in order to walk into their establishments. One big reason that malls are so popular is that there is ample free parking.

OK, LET'S SEE who will be first to crack down on speeders. Aiken, Columbia, McDuffie, Richmond? What county will take the lead in this problem? State troopers have nice cars but don't seem to care enough to stop it.

FOR THE IDIOT that put out poison at Midland Valley Country Club: You killed a beautiful Siberian husky. He had a horrible death.

TO ALL THE PEOPLE that ran for office in the Dec. 1 race for city commission: The election is over. You took the time to put up the signs. Take the time to take them down.

OBAMA TELLS Republicans to stop frightening Americans. It's not Republicans that are frightening Americans; it's Obama.

THIS IS FOR the Rants & Raves and all you people complaining about waitresses, good or bad. The majority of waitresses get tips. A lot of them expect more. You get what you treat the customer.

IF YOU DON'T TIP but a quarter, tip something to show appreciation. After all, this is America.

MY HUSBAND AND I always tip. Most of the time we tip too much. However, you waitresses and waiters knew what the job paid when you took it. Your problem will not go away. Think about it. How long have waiters and waitresses been complaining? If you are not satisfied with your pay, find another job. Your complaints make me want to quit tipping or leave less.

TO THE WAITRESSES ranting about getting tips: It's simple; good waitresses get good tips. If you give sorry service, sometimes you don't even get a tip.

IF THE WAIT STAFF did their job like they should, they would receive more tips. I tip according to the service I receive from my waiter/waitress. It could be a nickel or a $10 bill. It depends on them, not the food, not the wait-to-be-seated time or my mood.

CONGRATS TO John S. Davidson Fine Arts School for making the top 100 high schools in the U.S.

THE LATEST BUZZWORD from the sky-is-falling climategate bunch is "divergence." Watch out for that word. It means the facts have "diverged" from their predictions but they insist they are right and forget any inconvenient facts.

PatrickDanicant
PatrickDanicant 12/15/09 - 04:28 am
Okay, I've got to ask. What

Okay, I've got to ask. What was a Siberian husky doing running around loose at a Country Club? Death by poison is certainly a terrible way to go, but how/why did the dog get at it?

BamaMan
BamaMan 12/15/09 - 07:25 am
I have a handicapped parker

I have a handicapped parker gripe. At the $ General on Belair Rd in Martinez, the handicapped spot is ALWAYS taken by an employee of the store. She doesn't look handicapped to me, and while I'm at it, not the nicest person in the world either.

Chad
Chad 12/15/09 - 07:53 am
What does a handicapped

What does a handicapped person look like. The following listed items grants you a handicap placard. Georgia DMV a person having any of or a combination of the following are considered Handicap and eligible for a handicap placard.
Hearing impaired, Cannot walk more than 200 feet with out stopping to take a rest, Cannot walk with out assistance or needs a wheelchair, Lung disease or severe difficulty breathing.
Uses portable oxygen, Blind, Limited walking ability due to arthritis, Neurological, Orthopedic conditions or complications due to pregnancy. So anybody that has a placard can park in those spots. Be it an employee or customer they both have the right. Now granted common sense should tell you that the customer should park in those spots. but the Employer cannot by law tell the handicapped person not to park there.

Chad
Chad 12/15/09 - 08:03 am
In addition the following law

In addition the following law stated the number of spaces a facility is required to have, 28 CFR part 36 4.1.2(5)(a). So please all handicapped personnel please read it and understand just because you believe a place needs more handicapped spaces, does not make it a requirment.

Martinez
Martinez 12/15/09 - 08:11 am
Rant #1: Try parking

Rant #1: Try parking downtown in any true metro area. Point being, Augusta isn't there yet. Rant #3: Does Midland Valley have a dog park? Or were you walking your dog on private property and now complaining about efforts they took to rid themselves of (I am guessing) rodents? Lastly my tip of the day: Buy one of the abandoned dilapidated properties downtown, clear it, make it a parking lot and charge half the going rate. Oh and Yes - Congrats to Davidson Fine Arts. It's a great honor. I do however find it interesting that the only two schools in RC that receive any honors are the ones that get to hand pick their students. It's time RC do more then capitalize on the upper 10%, who likely would have succeeded in any school in the county.

PatrickDanicant
PatrickDanicant 12/15/09 - 08:13 am
I don't understand what the

I don't understand what the problem is. If you put a Univ of Alabama diploma on your dashboard you are allowed to park in handicapped spaces. Maybe he is just made she gets there first.....

Martinez
Martinez 12/15/09 - 08:20 am
Ouch - Be nice to

Ouch - Be nice to Bama........ BCS Bowl and a Heisman this year.

PatrickDanicant
PatrickDanicant 12/15/09 - 08:23 am
lol! I didn't say they don't

lol! I didn't say they don't have a great football team.

dclark1983
dclark1983 12/15/09 - 08:31 am
Why are you attacking bama?

Why are you attacking bama? He obviously had seen this same person there several times and has not seen a handicapped license plate or the one that hangs from the rear-view mirror. It is poor management that allows an employee to constantly park there and not reprimand them for doing so.

PatrickDanicant
PatrickDanicant 12/15/09 - 08:42 am
dclark, why can't you laugh

dclark, why can't you laugh at an obvious joke?

deekster
deekster 12/15/09 - 08:42 am
roll tide !!!!!!!!!!!!!

roll tide !!!!!!!!!!!!!

nelsonhargrove
nelsonhargrove 12/15/09 - 08:43 am
Chad, I really don't care

Chad, I really don't care what the law is, I believe it is inappropriate for an employee to take one of two handicap parking places for an 8 hr shift.

dclark1983
dclark1983 12/15/09 - 08:43 am
why can't you tell a good

why can't you tell a good joke?

deekster
deekster 12/15/09 - 08:44 am
How bout dem dawgs? They

How bout dem dawgs? They would go to a bowl with 2-12 record?

Martinez
Martinez 12/15/09 - 08:54 am
The employer can not tell the

The employer can not tell the employee not to park there. If the employee has the permit, telling him/her not to park there would be considered a violation of law - several of them. I say, let's be happy that the person is working, regardless of where he/she parks. I would rather see someone who is working with a disability get the spot then someone who has managed to get SSI over a darn hang nail. I've met and worked with people who had severe physical disabilities but didn't let that stop them from succeeding and have more respect for them then those able bodied folks out there whose idea of work is working the system.

nelsonhargrove
nelsonhargrove 12/15/09 - 09:00 am
I agree, Martinez, how about

I agree, Martinez, how about a designated employee only parking space?

dclark1983
dclark1983 12/15/09 - 09:04 am
ok now deekster, MANY georgia

ok now deekster, MANY georgia fans were supporting Bama and happy as a peacock when tebow was crying, don't go spoiling the good support.

disssman
disssman 12/15/09 - 09:29 am
I have decided that most

I have decided that most habdicapped parking is a bogus rip off. What doctor would recommend a patient be able to park within 200 feet of the mall that has miles of walking areas? Now you see why I always park my shopping buggy in a handicapped spot. The law is explicit that I can't park there, but there is NO law that says I can't park my cart there. BTW don't you just love it when you see a corvette with handicapped plates on it, or a Mini cooper? Even better is to see grannys' grandchild driving her car and using one of the spots when granny is home.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/15/09 - 09:29 am
At least Tebow wasn't crying

At least Tebow wasn't crying about EVER losing to the pound puppy punks.

dclark1983
dclark1983 12/15/09 - 09:38 am
Excuse me UncleStrom, your

Excuse me UncleStrom, your short term memory must be horrific. His first crying incident was in 2007 when UGA took Florida to the woodshed and kept Tebow on his back. Tebow is a good guy personally, but an extremely overrated quarterback. His backup is a better quarterback.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 12/15/09 - 09:47 am
Patrick I was wondering the

Patrick I was wondering the same thing about the husky. It is an owners responsibility to take steps to ensure the safety of their pets. Use a leash to control your animal on walks. Don't allow them to consume anything that you did not purchase for your pet. If you are careless/inattentive and let your pet slip free then the onus is on you as to what fate befalls them.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/15/09 - 09:48 am
dclark, we can agree on John

dclark, we can agree on John Brantley.

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/15/09 - 09:51 am
And I had wiped that day in

And I had wiped that day in 2007 from my memory. LOL At least that came back to cure the Dawgs from their dance team routines.....

dclark1983
dclark1983 12/15/09 - 09:58 am
Next year will be

Next year will be interesting. Both teams will have a new starting QB and defensive coordinator. I think John Brantley will bring a passing acumen to UF that hasn't been seen since Chris Leak's peak. Now if UGA could get a decent defensive coordinator, we could make a good game of it!

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/15/09 - 10:02 am
dclark, no offense buddy, but

dclark, no offense buddy, but it would be tough to get deeper in the hole with a defensive coordinator than what y'all have been dealing with. Unless you hire Tech's guy.....

dclark1983
dclark1983 12/15/09 - 10:06 am
no offense taken, i

no offense taken, i completely agree. Urban Meyer even said we have some of the best defensive talent in the nation. Martinez didn't coach those boys up.

atsugua13
atsugua13 12/15/09 - 10:49 am
hey dissman...I have seen

hey dissman...I have seen disabled tags on duallys equipped with a wrecker rig

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/15/09 - 10:53 am
You guys think Brantley is a

You guys think Brantley is a better QB than Tebow??!!!! Wow, can you back that up with any proof?

UncleStrom
UncleStrom 12/15/09 - 10:57 am
Only with my eyeballs and his

Only with my eyeballs and his passing numbers....

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/15/09 - 11:02 am
Well, yes, those TDs against

Well, yes, those TDs against Florida International and Charleston Southern were far more impressive than Tebow's against the SEC foes.....I guess.