Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

TO THE PEOPLE debating about a whole month of Christmas to celebrate only Christ: The U.S. may have started on a faith of Christians, but it now is a conglomeration of several different religions and even non-religion. One day can be considered representative of Christ's birthday, but not the whole month. Obama was quite correct in stating it should be a season of brotherhood. That makes it tolerable to have a whole month and even more to celebrate. I don't see us having a Martin Luther King Jr. Month.

WENT TO EAT lunch with my granddaughter at her school today. The school board needs to eat with the kids every day. Most of the children would not eat it, and I understand why. I am all for healthy foods, but if the kids won't eat it what good is it doing?

I WAS A SERVER at an establishment that sees fit to pay servers $2.13 an hour. Do any of you who get paid a legitimate wage know what it's like to come home with a 30-hour paycheck of $6.33 after you're taxed on your tips and your income and FICA and whatever other deductions are taken out? Believe me, people do not tip well in general. I left that establishment and went to work for Burger King, where I make over $8 an hour, don't have to put up with people who think they are my one and only customer, and I have benefits including health care and vacation.

I CAN'T THINK of anything that could seal Augusta's fate more than parking meters. They are a losing proposition, but then it probably doesn't matter because Augusta is doomed anyway with uncontrolled crime and incompetent leadership. Very sad.

GO AHEAD, AUGUSTA, put those parking meters back downtown and finish killing business down there. Do the math -- when you run a lot of people off to the malls, how many hours of parking will it take to regain the $1 million the meters cost? Pity those who work downtown and park on the street.

HEADLINE: "Net worth increases 5 percent." As an example, say you had $100. Then politicians and their money trust allies screwed up the economy so you suddenly only had $50. If you then find your $50 has grown to $60, is that a "net worth increase" or just less of a loss?

I SEE THAT Jenny Sanford, (Gov. Mark Sanford's wife) will be asking for a divorce. I would like to say a very loud "Good for her !" It is so very sad that the S.C. state government cannot have Mrs. Sanford's resolve and send this disgraceful Mark Sanford out of our South Carolina government!

EVERYONE IN DISTRICT 1 had two options: Vote for Fennoy and his noisy group, who dared to say a certain race was unwelcome to be considered as a representative, or for Aitken, who has worked tirelessly for two decades for all people.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/14/09 - 05:45 am
To Ranter #3. It seems to me

To Ranter #3. It seems to me that you have an attitude much better suited for BK or McD's. Keep learning and getting better and one day you might be able to move up to Captain-D's!!!

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/14/09 - 05:46 am
I wish Ranter #2 had shared

I wish Ranter #2 had shared was was on the menu that day.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/14/09 - 06:14 am
Raves for Senators Liberman

Raves for Senators Liberman and Nelson. Those who get their news from souces other than the AC and Good Morning America will know what I'm talking about. (It's a New York Times story by the way, not Fox News)

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/14/09 - 07:03 am
To ranter #1. Maybe we don't

To ranter #1. Maybe we don't have a whole month for MLK but we do for black history. So maybe you could consider December as Christian history month with the crowning day being December 25th.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/14/09 - 07:08 am
Maybe Augusta can make money

Maybe Augusta can make money off the workers downtown that park of the street when their meter runs out and they get a parking ticket. It will have to be since are the only people with cars who will be downtown. At least until their employers have to file for bankruptcy when they quit getting any business.

Martinez
Martinez 12/14/09 - 08:11 am
The problem is not meters

The problem is not meters downtown - it's the lack of a real downtown worthy of said meters. Having worked in a downtown area before, one with meters, I can tell you that designated lots and monthly worker parking permits work fine and can usually be paid for with a sect 125 plan to reduce taxable income. The primary problem I see here is workers would be too lazy (and complain like crazy) to walk 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile from their car to their job.

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/14/09 - 10:04 am
Bottom line...CHRISTmas is a

Bottom line...CHRISTmas is a Christian holliday..the idiot in the White House has once again put his foot in his mouth........tipping is optional....if you do not like that kind of work...... change careers....................life can really be simple if you cut out the PC crowd and just look at things the way they really are.

usafvet
usafvet 12/14/09 - 10:12 am
Ranter #1. Muslim? Product of

Ranter #1. Muslim? Product of single parent? Social promotions throughout schooling? Government subsidies? Socialistic? Dumbobama supporter? Democrat?. All would be reasons to be against Christian beliefs. But, whatever your beliefs are, you represent the down fall of this nation when you even dare to speak of mlk and the birth of CHRIST in the same breath.

Seashells
Seashells 12/14/09 - 10:29 am
Working in fast food is

Working in fast food is nothing to be ashamed of. More unemployed people should try getting a job in fast food instead of sitting around thinking it is beneath them.

My daughter worked for the Waffle House once and they have pretty good benefits.

If servers are having trouble getting tips, they should go to work with a positive attitude,make friends with the customers and get some regulars. Make them feel special and believe me they will be back.

Seashells
Seashells 12/14/09 - 10:31 am
No I don't work in fast

No I don't work in fast food.
I am in a full service restaurant and thankful everyday for a good job,wonderful Boss,nice customers.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 12/14/09 - 10:49 am
If the first ranter was more

If the first ranter was more familiar with the Christian faith he'd have realized the we already consider this the "season of brotherhood". Obama offered nothing new by saying that.

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 12/14/09 - 11:01 am
Ranter #5; malls; plural? In

Ranter #5; malls; plural? In Dis-gusta? Are you including the derelict mall in your statement?

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/14/09 - 11:17 am
Wow!! Bettyboop says

Wow!! Bettyboop says Christmas is a Christian holiday, then goes on to call the president an idiot. Then the rest of the post is anything but Christian. It's good you know when the holiday is, but maybe you should try showing some in you post.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/14/09 - 11:33 am
He is a non-believing Muslim

He is a non-believing Muslim who eschews Jesus Christ. He is the enemy.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/14/09 - 11:53 am
JacquesUlar, I don't quite

JacquesUlar, I don't quite understand the he is a non-believing Muslim who eschews Jesus Christ part. It make little sense because if he were truly a Muslim he wouldn't claim Jesus Christ. Besides, there is nothing wrong with being a Muslim.Learn some tolerance. Just like we tolerate mindsets like yours.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/14/09 - 11:57 am
RCR, now you admit he is a

RCR, now you admit he is a Muslim? And he is a non-believing Muslim because he drinks alcohol, smokes and allows his wife to dress like a harlot.

change display name
change display name 12/14/09 - 12:06 pm
We went out the other night

We went out the other night and had a wonderful experience at Outback, even though we had to wait for 10 minutes for our drink order to be taken. He got a 20% tip for making up for the wait. I'll pay if the service is good.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/14/09 - 12:08 pm
JacquesUlar, the president

JacquesUlar, the president says he is a Christian. That's good enough for me.Now you can take it upon yourself to judge him, but you to will be judged.As for the first lady dressing like harlot, that's probably more your stereotypical view of African American women. Those clothes are made by world famous designers and are very elegant. The First Lady is doing a fine job representing this nation.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/14/09 - 12:08 pm
change name, I believe the

change name, I believe the vast majority of folks that choose to eat out have a pleasurable time, otherwise there would be no more restaurants. It's nice to hear a positive story instead of all the whiners who could not ever be made happy.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/14/09 - 12:11 pm
A Muslim who declares himself

A Muslim who declares himself as a Christian is known as an Apostate. The penalty in fundamental Islamic countries is death. Didn't you just admit he was a Muslim two posts ago? We'll see what the Supreme Court says in a couple of weeks.....it's time for him to put up or shut up and go away after being exposed for the fraud imposter that he is.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 12/14/09 - 12:20 pm
Remember the interview

Remember the interview prezbho had with George Stephanopolus when prezbho said 'my muslim faith'. Steph had to correct him and said 'you mean your christian faith'. I guess that's just like when he said he had been to 57 states.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/14/09 - 12:21 pm
Obama gives himself a B+ for

Obama gives himself a B+ for his 1st year. Hmmm.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/14/09 - 12:24 pm
It kinda makes ya wonder how

It kinda makes ya wonder how much homework you'd have to not do, and how many tests you'd have to fail, in order to get a C- doesn't it?

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/14/09 - 12:28 pm
JacquesUlar, no I didn't say

JacquesUlar, no I didn't say he was a Muslim. Besides, what does that really have to do with with anything. When Tim McVeigh blew up the Murrah building, everybody didn't call all young white males terrorist. His crime was his own, not others like him. How much of this kind of talk bringing about jobs, healthcare and the many things that really affect our lives?

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/14/09 - 12:30 pm
Once again, never trying to

Once again, never trying to explain the actions of your boy, always blaming somebody or something else. Go find a new game, or grow a set, and come back later and maybe we'll play.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/14/09 - 12:30 pm
No jobs, no Healthcare,

No jobs, no Healthcare, increasing debt at a dizzying rate..B+.

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 12/14/09 - 12:31 pm
Richmond County could make

Richmond County could make money if they enforced the handicap parking. Columbia charges $125 if you don't have a sticker inside your car or a handicap tag. I see this violation all the time. I see people with real handicaps having to walk because of this violation not being enforced.

KSL
KSL 12/14/09 - 12:32 pm
I give him a big fat F.

I give him a big fat F.

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 12/14/09 - 12:34 pm
Those that strongly agree

Those that strongly agree with prezbho are 24% and those disagreeing are 42%. And he's the one that's making decisions for our country. If you're not concerned - You're not paying attention...

justbeasy
justbeasy 12/14/09 - 12:43 pm
You are all stupid and

You are all stupid and unrealistic. I do hope someone someone else gets elected in 2012 just so we can see change what they can do. as a matter of fact, sense some of yall nkow som darn much, why don't y ou all run?!!!!!

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.