Rants and raves

RICHMOND COUNTY is considering hiring an outside company to manage school buses. This is nothing more than an admission that government is incapable of running anything right, even hiring and scheduling some buses that'll run on time and dependably.

FOUR PEOPLE were made to wait four or more years for trials on traffic tickets. The prosecutors involved say those charged never asked for a speedy trial. The Constitution never mentions somebody having to ask for a speedy trial. Government is just required to give speedy trials. Four years for a trial? And for speeding tickets?

THIS IS A WHINE about the Augusta roads. I am an Augustan. I was born here. We have some of the worst roads that I have ever seen. I have lived in and visited quite a few places in and around Georgia and Augusta seems to have some of the worst roads in my travels. Why are the roads not getting more attention?

I, TOO, AM TIRED of reading rants from untipped servers. When I was a young girl my father taught me I could not afford to dine out unless I could afford to leave a 15 percent tip. (I assume in the 1970s servers made less than $2.13 per hour.) I normally leave about 20 percent unless the service is extremely good or extremely bad. Servers, when you don't take care of your customers, they are not obligated to take care of you.

SOME FOLKS don't know how to tip. Look at the tax and double that for the tip, but never leave less than $2.

IN A LOCAL RESTAURANT a waitress brought me the wrong food and drink. Why does she deserve a tip? I am also tired of being called sweety because of my age. Show some respect to your customers and I will tip you.

HOW IS THIS for "voting conservative"? The Permanent Estate Tax Relief for Families, Farmers, and Small Businesses Act of 2009 passed by a vote of 225-200 (with nine not voting). The legislation lowers the maximum rate of estate and gift taxes to 45 percent after 2009 and sets a minimum of $3.5 million before an estate can be taxed. Rep. Paul Broun voted no. C'mon! Aren't conservatives supposed to be opposed to higher "death taxes" for the little guy? And what about voting for "tax relief"?

A RANT TO OBAMA. A revolution within Iran would defuse its nuclear weapons program and install a pro-American democracy. Yet Obama has done everything possible to withdraw rebel support. Is he so petulant he would throw Iran under the bus rather than have an earth-shaking breakthrough because it would vindicate Bush and the neocons?

TroubIe
TroubIe 12/13/09 - 03:44 am
to the last rant.......yes

to the last rant.......yes

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/13/09 - 08:17 am
A RANT for scum like this!

A RANT for scum like this! "CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Thieves stole thousands of dollars in donations from the Salvation Army while drivers unloaded their kettles in Charlotte. Police describe the gunmen as two black men, wearing sunglasses, black hoodies and bandannas. The first suspect is about 5’10” with an average build. Police said the other is 6’4”, about 240 pounds. They drove in an older model green Jeep Cherokee.

Call Charlotte-Mecklenburg Crime Stoppers if you have any information at 704-334-1600.

Copyright 2009 by WSOCTV.com"

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 12/13/09 - 08:46 am
The rant on the tax vote is a

The rant on the tax vote is a partial comment and rant with partial information included. Make it a LTE and see the response.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 12/13/09 - 08:47 am
Richmond County would save

Richmond County would save themselves a world of headaches by privatizing the school bus service.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 12/13/09 - 08:50 am
When tipping, I ALWAYS

When tipping, I ALWAYS consider the service before deciding on a tip. Endless hovering and interruptions is just as annoying as no service. (HINT: Waiters, do your job and be invisible until needed = happy customers = fat tip.)

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/13/09 - 08:58 am
Here is something to keep

Here is something to keep gasping and Bubbles busy for a few moments. The rest of y'all might learn something too! -- http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2009/12/11/climate-quiz-questions/

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 12/13/09 - 09:14 am
There are very, very few

There are very, very few waitresses/waiters in this area that know how to do their jobs. They have two speeds, slow and slower. "Waiting" is an art of balance, juggling and orchestration, as well as energy and hospitality. Few staff in local restraurants display the know how. Johnston.cliff is correct!

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/13/09 - 09:16 am
A possible glimpse into the

A possible glimpse into the future of KSL and chimer? "A grand jury has indicted a 98-year-old woman on a second-degree-murder charge for allegedly killing her 100-year-old roommate in a dispute over the room they shared at a nursing home in Dartmouth." (www.boston.com)

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 12/13/09 - 09:17 am
Why aren't the delete or edit

Why aren't the delete or edit buttons working?

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/13/09 - 09:20 am
johnson - I agree with your

johnson - I agree with your 7:50

robaroo
robaroo 12/13/09 - 09:27 am
I'd be all for lower estate

I'd be all for lower estate taxes too, except the the government is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. Right now, Medicare and Medicaid are out of control, we are in the middle of two very expensive wars, and Congress already "borrowed" the money out of social security needed to repay the baby boomers who are starting to retire. Unfortunately, Congress needs to both raise taxes and reduce spending. Santa Claus didn't bring us a trillion dollars this year.

justthefacts
21940
justthefacts 12/13/09 - 09:43 am
robo, please keep up. We

robo, please keep up. We don't need Santa. The Democrats in Congress just raised the debt ceiling almost $2 tillion. We are flush with cash.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/13/09 - 10:32 am
JQP: The edit and delete

JQP: The edit and delete functions were denying the AC valuable income. In an unusually astute business move, they realized they'd generate more clicks (pay) if a person used a 2nd post to make corrections. I applaud the AC for this decision. Now if they'd just moderate the comments BEFORE allowing them to be posted, it'd be a 2nd tier blog. WTG AC.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/13/09 - 10:37 am
RIP, you want pre-screening

RIP, you want pre-screening of comments? Try WRDW or AOL blogs where you really belong.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/13/09 - 10:45 am
And CNN, and FOX and just

And CNN, and FOX and just about any other blog... and I do. Have a blissful day.

johnrawllins
johnrawllins 12/13/09 - 10:59 am
A rant for obamamoron a

A rant for obamamoron a revolution in this country would rid us of his socialistic ideas ,plans and his sheeple lackeys in congress and re-establish democracy in this great country! Yes this one, the one moron is so diligently and hellbent on destroying.

ArtCollector
ArtCollector 12/13/09 - 11:02 am
Jackieboy, who are YOU to say

Jackieboy, who are YOU to say where anyone belongs? You need to get a grip. (you don't run this thread or any other, tho you'd like to think so) And let AC do THEIR job of reporting the news. Not you. lol @ 9:37 LOL RIP@9:45

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/13/09 - 11:05 am
Hey Art, let me know when AC

Hey Art, let me know when AC gets that story, okay? I know you'll be watching.....

Irish
Irish 12/13/09 - 11:28 am
Isn't tipping based on

Isn't tipping based on service. Some places such as buffets only have glorified bus persons on duty. Refilling my tea is not the same as taking my order,maybe making suggestions or telling me what the daily specials are then bringing my silverware , making sure everything is prepared the way I asked and then delivering it to my table. Some of these buffets "wait persons" actually act as though the diners are a nuisance to their routines..And I agree my name is not shoog, sweetie, honey, or anything else the waitress/waiter may deem me ....tips translates into "to insure prompt service"...you don't get it you don't tip....Leave a suggestion on a napkin how they can improve instead.....your financial needs do not determine my right to dine out...If you don't want to do your job properly please don't expect a tip....

corgimom
corgimom 12/13/09 - 11:29 am
If you leave an estate of

If you leave an estate of $3.5 million, you are not one of the "little guys".

johnrawllins
johnrawllins 12/13/09 - 11:47 am
The point is, I worked for

The point is, I worked for that 3.5 Corgi--not only that, I've already paid tax on it. Why should I have to do that again just to support the low life ants--better known as the entitlement crowd!

corgimom
corgimom 12/13/09 - 12:02 pm
Very, very, very few people

Very, very, very few people leave estates of $3.5 million. I seriously doubt that anyone on here will have to worry about it.

uptheseventhplanet
uptheseventhplanet 12/13/09 - 12:06 pm
robaroo@8:27 The answer to

robaroo@8:27 The answer to our budget mess is not raising taxes. How do we condone establishing new entitlement programs when the deficit is already at record levels? Cutting back on expenditures has proven to be more effective at creating wealth than robbing sove taxpayers to keep nontaxpayers happy.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/13/09 - 12:30 pm
It may come as a surprise to

It may come as a surprise to you, corgimom, but there are many many businesses estates in the CSRA area that fall in the $3.5 million bracket. Do you realize that the average tax that are paid but the estates owner yearly are around a 1/4 million be year. When the owner dies, why does his aires owe more to this government then already has been paid. "How much taxes did you pay last year toward the entitlement crowd?"

butler123
butler123 12/13/09 - 01:18 pm
Inheritance tax is just

Inheritance tax is just wrong. Taxes have already been paid on that money.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/13/09 - 01:24 pm
butler, a few times in most

butler, a few times in most cases.

workingmom
workingmom 12/13/09 - 01:27 pm
I agree with you butler123.

I agree with you butler123.

corgimom
corgimom 12/13/09 - 01:35 pm
If your estate is worth that

If your estate is worth that much, my best advice to you is to go see a professional estate planner. The estimate is that it will affect about 7,000 estates per year. Out of 305 million people. With the former exemption, only 5 out of 1,000 paid it. "At an exemption level of $3.5 million ($7 million per couple), as will exist in 2009, fewer than 100 family businesses and only 65 farm estates would have paid any estate tax. "

cakewalk30904
cakewalk30904 12/13/09 - 01:47 pm
Some people on here act as

Some people on here act as though they think servers are beneath them. How nice it must be to be you.

corgimom
corgimom 12/13/09 - 02:21 pm
Cobalt, what a business is

Cobalt, what a business is worth while an owner is living and what it is worth when he dies, are two hugely different things. Very few sole props are worth that much, and incorporating a business- which is what most people do at that level, they have too much to lose- well, when they die, the shares in the corp are virtually worthless. Same way as when they get divorced. Estate planning.

Commission plays 'Let's Make A Deal'

Political rumors are running wild in Augusta just like goats at city detention ponds. For example, here are e-mails that have been making the rounds.