Rants and raves

FOR THE PARENTS who are obviously confused by simple signs in school zones, you should consider staying for class with your child. Maybe it's your lack of education ... or just poor skills in following directions.

HEADLINE: "Consumer borrowing falls for record ninth straight month." Excellent. That shows that no matter how hard D.C. works to break our economy and destroy our freedom, regular people will finally wake up and realize they can't buy what they can't afford.

THE GOVERNMENT-RUN TEE center plans to add more space to the "existing convention center." So Augusta will have more empty space than before. Front page story tells how the TEE center "will be funded." The list includes a tax, a tax, a "judicial center savings" (from government -- don't make me laugh), a tax and then money from "tax exempt bonds"). How do you suppose government pays off those bonds? With another tax!

THIS IS A RAVE to Quinton Aaron, the actor from Augusta in the movie The Blind Side, for taking time to sign autographs for my kids. It is a great inspiration to see an actor be so down to earth and such a gentle giant. Thank you. It goes to show that you set your goals and dreams will come true.

THIS IS A RAVE to First Baptist Church of Augusta for the amazingly beautiful Christmas concert with Ty Herndon and Jaycie Ward. It was just unbelievable, and we really hope they will come back soon.

I WOULD LIKE to thank the Richmond County sheriff's department. There have been a terrible number of homicides lately, and I know those officers have been working nonstop. Thousands of us appreciate all of the efforts of the many law-enforcement agencies in the CSRA.

FRONT PAGE STORY tells of lighting an Augusta Christmas tree 20 days before Christmas. What the heck! Let's go ahead and celebrate New Year's Day next week. And while we're about it, why not July 4th in January?

WHEN DID THE Columbia County Christmas parade become a "who's who" advertisement? Does it really just take slapping a magnet to your car or truck to be in the parade? What happened to floats and candy? At least put a balloon on your car or something. My children were bored and wanted to leave before it was even over. Get it together, people.

corgimom
corgimom 12/11/09 - 01:26 pm
"OBAMA CLAIMS Christmas is

"OBAMA CLAIMS Christmas is not just about Jesus, rather its "lesson is universal ... represents more than any one holiday or religion, but a season of brotherhood." Did you ever hear either a real Christian or a real U.S. citizen spout such heresy? " Guess I'm a heretic too, that's what I was taught also. I guess that makes me not a real Christian or a real US citizen. There are some real fruitcakes out there, you know?

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/11/09 - 01:34 pm
Another slow day for school

Another slow day for school volunteers, huh?

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 12/11/09 - 01:37 pm
With the $12 TRILLION debt we

With the $12 TRILLION debt we have now, the dim controlled congress plan to add $1.8 TRILLION to next yrs debt. They don't want to wait and do this just before the 2010 elections because they know that won't look good for them. After the elections they will need to ask for additional money that will add to our debt.

butler123
butler123 12/11/09 - 01:44 pm
All I know when I was 9 years

All I know when I was 9 years old my Grandmother decided to become a Jehovah's witness and we no longer got our usual pj's as she no longer celebrated Christmas. It only lasted a couple years though.

waugusta92
waugusta92 12/11/09 - 01:45 pm
lol@ christmas being about

lol@ christmas being about christ. OK i tell the kids that too but let's be real. there's evidence that shows it wasnt even his real bday and the same people whining about the "christian spirit of the season" are the same ones breaking their necks to get the last toy, complaining about gifts, and being nasty to everyone else all times of the year. looks like a lot of you need an XMAS history lesson hahaha. stop being ridiculous over these man-made holidays which have been turned into a capitalistic consumer frenzy. if you really want to celebrate Christ, stay home or go to church and save the gifts for birthdays.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/11/09 - 01:55 pm
Gee, that is EXACTLY what I

Gee, that is EXACTLY what I hear from Witnesses' mouths, WAU. I defer to you to answer any further q's regarding that cult.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/11/09 - 01:57 pm
CS: You fail to mention the

CS: You fail to mention the raising of the limit will be attached to a war funding bill along with many other pork projects. I think I'll raise my personal debt limit to $1million. Anyone want to join me on a CHRISTMAS cruise?

Stangafied
Stangafied 12/11/09 - 02:12 pm
RIP, I find your use of the

RIP, I find your use of the word "cult" somewhat offensive. JWs try to live their lives as Christians as best they can according to their interpretation of the bible and Jesus’ example. Calling a organized religion with over 7 million followers a cult of fanatics seems a little over the top....

corgimom
corgimom 12/11/09 - 02:20 pm
So flattering that you notice

So flattering that you notice when I'm on here and when I'm not. I would think you'd have better things to do than worry about me, but whatever.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/11/09 - 02:21 pm
Hey converted - Treasury

Hey converted - Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner confirmed today that we are expected to lose $30 billion of our investment in the auto industry. He admits he lost $30 billion of our money. To which Bernie Madoff goes, “Hey, I could have done better than that. Why isn’t he in jail?” -- Jay Leno

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/11/09 - 02:29 pm
Stang? Your objection is duly

Stang? Your objection is duly noted. As I still enjoy freedom of speech, I believe my 18 year long endurance of the cult's doctrines allows me to have an informed OPINION about them. Have I attempted to prevent them from expressing their beliefs? Have I called for an end to their tax exempt status, though they are ALL about profit? Let me be perhaps more fair: ANY religion who mandates it's followers to pretend family members who do not belong do not exist (see disfellowshipped) is a cult.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/11/09 - 02:30 pm
When a Witness knocks upon my

When a Witness knocks upon my door, I immediately inform them of my "status" within their cult. They RUN, not walk, away immediately.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/11/09 - 02:34 pm
Heck, I gotta try that. All

Heck, I gotta try that. All this time I've just offered them a cuple of beers and some smokes and an iron for their wrinkled thrift store white shirts....

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/11/09 - 02:35 pm
Jacques: those are Mormons.

Jacques: those are Mormons. Witness' visitors are usually the most attractive women of the congregation: they sell more magazines.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 12/11/09 - 02:41 pm
I just tell them that I'm not

I just tell them that I'm not interested but that my (annoying) neighbor LOVES discussing various faiths......

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/11/09 - 02:44 pm
As a former door to door

As a former door to door salesman, I've seen thousands of signs on doors with this interesting declaration:"No Salesmen and NO JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES". I've never seen a single other "religion" cited so.

slmpaquin
slmpaquin 12/11/09 - 04:04 pm
To the ranter about lighting

To the ranter about lighting the tree before Christmas, that is the way Augusta has always done it. I don't put up my tree and stare at it with no lights on. I want to enjoy all the way up till Christmas. Most people I know don't put their tree up on Christmas only to take it down again the same day. They put it up early so they can enjoy it.

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 12/11/09 - 04:12 pm
Just Nuts4 says:"Another

Just Nuts4 says:"Another example of the AWM trying to put you know who in a bad light and the non minority will not take this lightly. I will chain myself to this condemned building and go on a hunger strike to show my disdain for humanity or untill they free Mickey Mouse from prison."

deportem
deportem 12/11/09 - 04:16 pm
In Obama's nightstand, there

In Obama's nightstand, there is probably a copy of the Koran and a prayer rug. And on his bedroom ceiling, there is a pointer showing the direction of Mecca.

jack
jack 12/11/09 - 04:26 pm
To My Liberal Friends Please

To My Liberal Friends

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an
environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non- addictive,
gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the
most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or
secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/ secular
persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or
secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling
and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted
calendar year 2010, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of
other cultures whose contributions to society that have helped make America great.
Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the
only America in the Western Hemisphere . Also, this wish is made without regard
to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference
of the wishee.

To My Republican Friends:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 12/11/09 - 04:38 pm
Good ole tax cheat geithner,

Good ole tax cheat geithner, couldn't even figure out how to use robo-tax and they put him in charge of handling our money. Especially after he was prominent in a financial failure. Must make sense to a lib.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/11/09 - 04:39 pm
Dr Jack, Thank you, Sir! The

Dr Jack, Thank you, Sir! The same wishes back to you!

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 12/11/09 - 06:36 pm
my rave is for commissioner

my rave is for commissioner grantham...he decided unlike another commissioner (who will remain nameless) to stand on priciple and vote what he believes in, not to vote for a resolution to raise the sales tax 12% then come out and say he will fight the sales tax increase if it gets on the ballot or he came out and claimed a former engineering dept head was not doing her job competently, then vote to settle a lawsuit for 125,000. although i don't agree with your overall voting record, i do sur admire you for sticking to your guns and voting for what YOU believe in...you felt ms. smith was not deserving of the settlement and you voted that way...i an not here to say whether her firing was right or wrong (her perfomance review sez it all), it just refreshing to have at least one commissioner voting on a matter of priciple and sticking with their vote, as opposed to the un-named commissioner saying she incompetent then to turn around and vote to give the same "incompetent" ex-dept heat 125000..the moral of the story is mr. bowles "if you fail to stand for something, you'll fall for anything"..case in point the TEE CENTER......

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/11/09 - 06:44 pm
Can anyone tell me what

Can anyone tell me what restaurant offers the best chili in Augusta? I just can't bear eating Wendy's or Atlanta Bread Company's versions tonight. Appreciate any advice on this.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 12/11/09 - 07:03 pm
I don't know what Obama said

I don't know what Obama said and maybe his choice of words wasn't so good. But Jesus is the reason for the season and it's a time of peace and brotherhood for all. Christian believers invite people universally to share in the celebration. It's a joyous event opened to all, whether they believe or not. Put up your
Christmas tree, pour your liquid spirits, enjoy a feast with your family and friends, give thanks to God and Merry Christmas to All.

ArtCollector
ArtCollector 12/11/09 - 07:28 pm
the same po dunks i see

the same po dunks i see

ArtCollector
ArtCollector 12/11/09 - 07:29 pm
Sir? old geezer is more like

Sir? old geezer is more like it!!! give me a break

ArtCollector
ArtCollector 12/11/09 - 07:30 pm
He ain't God, you don't have

He ain't God, you don't have to capitalize 'sir'..lmao...sure..

KSL
KSL 12/11/09 - 09:07 pm
Artsy, I see you are being

Artsy, I see you are being your ever pleasant self tonight. And to think that I once thought you were a very nice person, after I didn't think you were and before I didn't think you were on second thought. Actually, I think somewhere, deep down, you are. It's there. I saw it briefly. I'm not being facetious.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 12/11/09 - 09:34 pm
KSL, that was probably the

KSL, that was probably the best post I have read here today. What does it mean? Everyone knows who jack is if they read the Chronicle for any length of time. And everyone knows who Jacques is for the same reason. Me? Who cares as long as everyone is having a great holiday season.