Rants and raves

YOU RAN A STORY that filled nearly half a page, with big headline at the top, about a "forum" at Evans supporting Obama's Marxist health care scam. Why so much coverage for a little group of only 30 people who don't seem to realize their freedom, too, is on the line?

HEADLINE: "ROAD PROJECT sees progress." $30 million to extend St. Sebastian Way, including "decorative lighting fixtures." Yep, that's your money, taxpayer. According to a not-real-clear map, this will cover a few blocks.

INSTEAD OF SENDING 30,000 troops to Afghanistan to help prop up a corrupt government, Obama needs to bring all the troops home. The military can better protect us from terrorists by securing our southern border. Right now, the terrorists can merely walk across the border disguised as illegal aliens.

THE AARP is supporting ObamaCare because it is the largest seller of Medicare supplemental insurance in the nation. It makes money when Medicare is cut.

A HUGE RANT to the person who commented: "Does the Army's beret look goofy or what?" And then proceeds with, "no disrespect to our great military people." You should be ashamed for even commenting on something so trivial. There are civilians who have lost loved ones in this war, and you have the audacity to comment on their style of berets? Good thing you're not in the Army anymore. Now that would be "goofy."

THIS IS A RANT to all the inconsiderate, lazy people who left their fast food trash in the middle of Washington Road in front of Walgreens after the Columbia County Christmas parade. It wasn't a tailgating party.

I WENT THROUGH North Augusta shortly after the Christmas parade was over. I thought I was in the tailgating area in Athens. The trash was atrocious. Pick up after yourselves!

TO THE RANT about the waitress. Get over yourself! Waiters and waitresses only make $2.13 a hour. The tip is how they make a living. If you can't afford to tip, go to Taco Bell.

A RANT TO THE PERSON whining about the waitress whining about no tips. If the restaurant paid the waitress $12 an hour and charged $25 for a burger or $60 for a meal, would you whine about it? Leave a tip and eat a reasonable meal or stay home, tightwad.

NEone
NEone 12/09/09 - 05:24 am
The Army berets ARE goofy. I

The Army berets ARE goofy. I daily watch soldiers primping before going outdoors as the beret has to be just so. Nothing like watching our fighting men and women in front of the mirror or window every time they turn around.

Bubblesup
Bubblesup 12/09/09 - 05:44 am
Those berets are a shame.

Those berets are a shame.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/09/09 - 05:50 am
NEone, that's known as

NEone, that's known as "pride". Look it up if you don't know what it means. G'mornin, CSRA.

NEone
NEone 12/09/09 - 06:44 am
Jacques: What's with the

Jacques: What's with the attitude? The berets serve very little function, with no face protection from the sun, rain or snow. The soldiers (my spouse included) look ridiculous with all the primping they must do with those stupid berets all day long in and out of buildings. They don't look manly or authoritative. They look prissy. Even the females look dumb in them. Pride has nothing to do with it.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/09/09 - 06:48 am
Pride is taking the personal

Pride is taking the personal responsibility to wear the uniform as it was designed. Also, berets are much easier to roll up and stuff in a cargo pocket while inside. You were making fun for soldiers who took the care to adjust it properly, that is what I was addressing.

NEone
NEone 12/09/09 - 07:01 am
I'm not making fun of

I'm not making fun of soldiers that I respect I don't like the beret part of the uniform that I look at every day. Constantly adjusting the beret is primping. I imagine the army spent millions on this to change their image, but it was money poorly spent, as image was more important than funciton.

ArtCollector
ArtCollector 12/09/09 - 07:23 am
LOL NEone! 4:24..oh give it a

LOL NEone! 4:24..oh give it a rest jollyJacque..too bad all pride is lost AFTER the military!!

ArtCollector
ArtCollector 12/09/09 - 07:24 am
G'mornin WORLD!! Life is Good

G'mornin WORLD!! Life is Good

ArtCollector
ArtCollector 12/09/09 - 07:29 am
"You should be ashamed for

"You should be ashamed for even commenting on something so trivial." Gosh RANTER if it is so "trivial" then it should not bother you atall...why you whining about it?????

ArtCollector
ArtCollector 12/09/09 - 07:30 am
Ban berets! hee hee

Ban berets! hee hee

Martinez
Martinez 12/09/09 - 07:51 am
Here's a tip for all those

Here's a tip for all those whining waiters and waitresses out there - join the miliary - - - better pay and super cool berets.

ArtCollector
ArtCollector 12/09/09 - 07:56 am
hee hee

hee hee

NEone
NEone 12/09/09 - 08:02 am
LOL Martinez! Art: Not all

LOL Martinez! Art: Not all of us are in Augusta, or in your time zone. I'm hard at work--or at least at work--and have been for a few hours. Have a great day!

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/09/09 - 08:04 am
Dean's Bridge Road is blocked

Dean's Bridge Road is blocked in both directions due to power and utility lines/poles down in the road south of Georgetown just in case you were planning on going that way.

Chad
Chad 12/09/09 - 08:07 am
How much sun, wind and rain

How much sun, wind and rain protection did the old BDU cap have, My head got, sun burned, wet, and cold with it. How many times did you see a soldier wearing there BDU/patrol Cap over their ears, or cocked back on there head like they are back on the block, Or the really old ones that needed to be replaced still in use. Did that look professional, The only hat that did workas far as sun protection was the old boonie caps, then for the cold they should wear the Gomer pyle cap for the winter. The beret is deeply entreanched in military history. and to see a Soldier take the time to ensure that they look good in uniform shows a sign of pride.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/09/09 - 08:10 am
Chad, thank you! I thought I

Chad, thank you! I thought I was the lone voice in the forest (not that it worried me).

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/09/09 - 08:20 am
JacquesUlar, thanks for the

JacquesUlar, thanks for the tip about Deans Bridge Road. The wind was so noisy this morning it woke me up.

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/09/09 - 08:23 am
...it's all a matter of

...it's all a matter of taste..I like the beret some do not...welcome to the world of diverse opinions...lol and angie please shut up.

Troubled1
Troubled1 12/09/09 - 08:28 am
i gotta agree with you betty,

i gotta agree with you betty, i like the beret too

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/09/09 - 08:30 am
betty, just say hush puppy,

betty, just say hush puppy, she understands those due to her job training.

Troubled1
Troubled1 12/09/09 - 08:30 am
have to agree with the last

have to agree with the last part of your post there too betty

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/09/09 - 08:32 am
Leaves, anytime. RCSO is

Leaves, anytime. RCSO is hating life this morning. All the traffic lights in that area are out too.

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 12/09/09 - 08:42 am
Did anyone notice the

Did anyone notice the Columbia county democratic party had a smart car in the columbia county parade? I think the whole columbia county group was in it. It was probably all of the attendies of the healthcare rally they held.

deekster
deekster 12/09/09 - 09:03 am
When did it become acceptable

When did it become acceptable for military personnel to wear Army Uniforms off base? I remember when active duty personnel wore civilian clothes when they left the military base. There seemed to be "concern" about a "look of a militaristic state". Cuba and S. America, for instance. Where once the "beret" was restricted to "special forces", the NEW ARMY OF ONE made it an everyday event. In tune with civilian society, lets share the "hard fought accomplishments" of a few with everyone regardless of "hard fought accomplishment. If you don't earn self esteem, we will just give it to you.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/09/09 - 09:08 am
deekster, the uniform

deekster, the uniform restrictions primarily apply to OCONUS locations for security reasons. The differences between a black, maroon and green beret are significant and understood by those serving as are the patches and badges they wear.

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/09/09 - 09:11 am
huh deekster?...I remember

huh deekster?...I remember how proud I was when my brother back from a tour in Viet Nam would pick me up from school in full uniform......all the soldiers wore their uniforms off base.......

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/09 - 09:30 am
If you want to watch a

If you want to watch a beautiful display see this,,,http://www.flixxy.com/best-christmas-lights-display.htm w/sound on,,, takes 3 to guide traffic around this house..

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/09/09 - 09:34 am
I now understand why Fart

I now understand why Fart wore brown for her group photo.

austinevans
austinevans 12/09/09 - 09:50 am
Restrictions only apply to

Restrictions only apply to Battle Dress.

JacquesUlar
JacquesUlar 12/09/09 - 09:58 am
And rules for wear of BDU's

And rules for wear of BDU's off post is normally up to the installation/garrison commander. I think the wear of BDU's in Augusta is allowed due to the large number of phase trainees. I'll let the Army guys confirm that. Most USAF units prohibit wear of flight suits or BDU's to anywhere off base other than gas stations/C-stores and fast-food restaurants. Blues are fine anywhere, even bars after duty hours.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...