Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

WHAT, CAN'T A MAN have an argument with his wife and go barrelling out of the driveway and hit a tree and a fire hydrant and end up on the ground unconscious without people making a big deal out of it?

I SUGGEST YOU leave Tiger Woods and his family alone. It's none of our business. Not only that, we had four policemen killed recently. That's news.

THIS IS A RANT for you waitresses out there. I get so sick of hearing you whine and cry about people not leaving you tips. Well, you took the job, and that's what you are supposed to expect. Some people tip, and some people don't. Stop whining about your tips and be glad you even have a job. And if you don't make it on your first job, try getting a second job.

AFTER SPENDING the last 21/2 weeks traveling overseas and reading editorials and listening to commentaries, it is incredible that the rest of the world sees Obama as a bumbling non-performer. The major question that is asked by everyone is: Does Obama really believe that Iran does not want nuclear weapons and that North Korea will give up theirs? There is a tremendous amount of concern about what will happen to the world if this kind of thinking continues.

ON TUESDAY my friends and I went to see the Oak Ridge Boys. It was absolutely wonderful. I had not been in the Bell Auditorium in a long time. We were very impressed and surprised that everyone was so nice. A gentleman helped us find our seats, and when it was over, the same gentleman told us to have a safe drive home and a nice night. Thanks for a wonderful night and for bringing the Oak Ridge Boys to Augusta.

AS A BLACK MAN, I hope Matt Aitken can be a calming influence on the Augusta Commission. For years and years, I sat back and watched the black commissioners hold Augusta back. Instead of representing their people, they were representing their biases. They were the stumbling block for Augusta's future. Thank you, voters.

THIS IS A RAVE for all our members of the military and law enforcement. They are the ones between us and those who seek to harm us. When you are out and about and see a soldier or someone in law enforcement, take just a moment to say thank you for their service. You will get an appreciative response. I always do.

THIS IS A RANT for the work that was done on the railroad tracks on Old Evans Road near Washington Road. You have to go 2 mph over the hump that they have just created on that railroad train crossing. Could somebody please get out there and take a look at it and possibly fix it before somebody gets hurt or killed?

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/07/09 - 10:32 am
seenitB4, do you have

seenitB4, do you have something against my screen name. Where in my post have I indicated that I wasn't a tipper. My only comment to you was that $3 seemed a little low for waitress/waiters to make now that the hourly wage had gone up. I was only merely asking a question, seems you are a little sensitive because you've worked in that field.

Dora.Ito
Dora.Ito 12/07/09 - 10:35 am
ICL, I still find your screen

ICL, I still find your screen name extremely offensive. His name should not be used for secular discussions and comments. Especially based on the content of some of your past postings. Leave The Lord out of your signature. But I've said this before and you didn't listen then either. You'll get your judgement day then you'll know.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/09 - 10:37 am

Thank you ICL,,, sorry if I offended you,, didn't mean to. Some people speak the talk but don't walk the walk.. You seem to be a very kindhearted person,, just like your name..

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/07/09 - 10:40 am
Dora.lto, I'm sorry you find

Dora.lto, I'm sorry you find the name of the Lord offensive. I choose the screen name because as a Christian I'm covered with the Love of Christ. Where is it written that we should hide the name of the Lord and I have no clue what you mean "based on the content of some of your past postings". Maybe you could post date and times of posting. You have said you have said this before and I didn't listen....hate to tell you this but I've never seen you post on this before - unless you've changed your posting name. I will be judged one day just as you will. Thank God He's the one who'll be judging and not you.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/09 - 10:41 am
No ,, I've never worked in

No ,, I've never worked in that field,, but my daughter has.. She loved it & actually made BIG BUCKS..better than airline pay which was her next job.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/09 - 10:47 am
I have to go to other

I have to go to other postings.. Tigger & Cain are calling me, Have a great day...

Dora.Ito
Dora.Ito 12/07/09 - 10:49 am
I think it's inappropriate.

I think it's inappropriate. That's my opinion. There you have it. Quoting posts when other names have asked you to please change it won't make you change it. Good luck.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/07/09 - 10:50 am
seenitB4, thank you and hope

seenitB4, thank you and hope you and your family have a Blessed Merry Christmas.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/07/09 - 10:59 am
Dora.lto, I have no clue what

Dora.lto, I have no clue what you are talking about and you are correct, it's your opinon if your think it inappropriate. My opinion is I praise my Savior and Lord, and if this is a way I feel I can speak His Love everyday, as far as I know this is still a free American and I will speak His name proudly. I'm sorry if it offends you. I do not remember any serious request to change my posting name, if they have been made it was in a negative comment made to degrade me and did not take them seriously. Those request were made out of hate and I try not to do the devil's bidding. Good Day and Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

Irish
Irish 12/07/09 - 11:15 am
The O'bama admininstration is

The O'bama admininstration is about to screw the whole nation and the media is worried about how many women Tiger had....What a world we live in...this is called diversion.....

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/07/09 - 11:30 am
TARP program to cost $200b

TARP program to cost $200b less than anticipated. Seems the "Bush bailout" aka TARP, is going to cost only $141b over the next decade. Banks are rushing to repay the bailouts, the USA has made $10b profit so far, and it is guaranteed the original $700b price tag will never be reached. Leave it to a GOP to actually create a bill that costs less, helps more, and is effective in use. How much of the $787b "stimulus" do you believe will be unused??? (source Wall Street Journal, editorial commentary mine).

Dora.Ito
Dora.Ito 12/07/09 - 11:33 am
Irish, I suppose it's

Irish, I suppose it's slightly better than bombing Iraq in 1998 over a "Lewinsky" for a press diversion. Unfortunately, I had to help carry out Clinton's orders. I'll never get the bad taste outta my mouth over doing that. There was no strategic or tactical timing involved in that decision other than "Get me off the front page".

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/07/09 - 11:36 am
So instead of "Wag the Dog"

So instead of "Wag the Dog" we currently have "Wag the Tiger"?

Irish
Irish 12/07/09 - 01:30 pm
dora.lto...don't say clinton

dora.lto...don't say clinton lewinsky and bad taste in your mouth all in the same paragraph....leaves mental pictures.....

Irish
Irish 12/07/09 - 01:30 pm
rip gives a new meaning to

rip gives a new meaning to having a tiger in your tank I guess.

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 12/07/09 - 01:31 pm
The wage for waitstaff in all

The wage for waitstaff in all restaurants and bars across the country is a standard 2.17 per hour. If the waiter doesn't make enough in tips, their employer has to make up the difference to equal minimum wage. Don't know about you but I couldn't support my family on minimum wage. Get a second job you say? Well most in the F&B (Food and Beverage) business are single moms. The cost of childcare is too high and most cannot afford it. It'd be like working just to pay for childcare. However, being in the F&B business myself for 25 years (I was a bartender/bar manager), I always made a good living just working 3 or 4 days a week. For every non tipping cheap skate out there, there is an awesome tipper that really appreciates the service! Did I treat the non tippers any different than the ones that did tip? Yes! The non tippers just got service. The tippers got excellent service! We all in the business remember who is who!!!

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 12/07/09 - 01:44 pm
I stand corrected! The wage

I stand corrected! The wage for servers is $2.43 per hour.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/07/09 - 02:01 pm
When I was waitressing I

When I was waitressing I avereraged way more than minimum wage. You have 3 or 4 tables, not everyone tips 2 bux or not at all. Maybe, just maybe, the reason the waitresses aren't making enough isn't because of cheap tippers, but because of their bad service and attitude. I am a great tipper since I worked in that field, but I am also the first one to leave you a note telling you why you got 50 cents when I get crap service!! Not because they are busy and trying, thats a different story, but bad attitude and socializing or no where to be found when I'm thirsting to death. It kills me the managers don't want to fire servers who are bad when there are plenty of good people who need work, and in return the people who share their tips get jilted as well. There are a few horrible waitresses whose tables I refuse to sit at at some places and have complained about them before, so have others, but they are still there. Everyday they act as if it is a bother to be there and you are infringing on their social time. Get rid of them!!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/07/09 - 02:04 pm
I agree with the old evans

I agree with the old evans train tracks. There was nothing wrong with them before. Why did you new and improve and screw it up? All you did was put a giant speed bump in and someone who knows the road and knows that was one of the smoothest tracks in town is going to hit it at 35 or so with no new warning signs what so ever and wreck and possibly hurt people. WTG morons! Fix it!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/07/09 - 03:05 pm
I see they still have yet to

I see they still have yet to fix the edit button. I know its been reported, why the delay?

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/07/09 - 03:05 pm
I see they still have yet to

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/07/09 - 03:06 pm
Great the delete button still

Great the delete button still isn't working either. WTG AC!!

butler123
butler123 12/07/09 - 03:11 pm
I would just like to remind

I would just like to remind people that the waitress/waiter does not cook the food. If the order is wrong it could be their fault, but if you didn't like the food it usually isn't the fault of the person taking your order. Just keep that in mind when it comes to tipping.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/07/09 - 05:01 pm
Most blogs don't have "edit"

Most blogs don't have "edit" or "delete" capabilities. Maybe the AC is becoming mainstream?

dani
dani 12/07/09 - 06:02 pm
Why would you tip a person

Why would you tip a person who doesn't deserve it. More of the hand-out mentality. If a waiter/waitress wants a good tip, then earn it.

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/07/09 - 06:09 pm
There are now seven women

There are now seven women claiming to be Tiger's mistresses. He gave a statement to CNN: "Please put me down for four."

ArtCollector
ArtCollector 12/07/09 - 06:11 pm
Dora, i get tired of you

Dora, i get tired of you coming on here telling me when to pause to reflect. Ain't your place. Stop.

Bubblesup
Bubblesup 12/07/09 - 06:27 pm
The points about tips are

The points about tips are intersting. Do you think the wait staff tired to get good grades in school so they could go to college? Did they aspire to more than what they got? If they are waiting tables now to get themselves thru college, I say good job for them and they deserve the best. If they are simply stuck in a wait staff job because they never made anything of their lives and want the rest of us to tip generously for slow service and sullen attitudes, well, they can forget it.

lildevil
lildevil 12/07/09 - 11:33 pm
To the Ranters that are

To the Ranters that are complaing about the rail road crossings at Old Evans and Evans to Lock for That matter. All the Idiots that drive through there need to slow down PAY ATTENTION and get off those cell phones. The traffic is so congested over there on both of them Roads that It dangerous. I sure hope that you have insurance because when you hit me. I do need a new truck and a few dollars in my pocket!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/08/09 - 12:04 am
Hmmm. First I heard a rolling

Hmmm. First I heard a rolling rumbling, it continued while the windows began to rattle, while floor vibrated under my stocking feet, then it all stopped. Time was about 10:55pm, just a few minutes ago. This time there was no truck going by or vehicle with a booming bass, the usual reasons for anything similar to this. It was the same room that rattled so much when we had an earthquake here a few years ago. Anybody else hear and feel it? I'm in 30906. The sound seemed to roll in from the SW.

Think 'worst,' nuke study says

WASHINGTON - A U.S. science advisory report says a key lesson from Japan's Fukushima nuclear accident is that the nation's nuclear industry needs to focus more on the highly unlikely but ...