Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

WHAT, CAN'T A MAN have an argument with his wife and go barrelling out of the driveway and hit a tree and a fire hydrant and end up on the ground unconscious without people making a big deal out of it?

I SUGGEST YOU leave Tiger Woods and his family alone. It's none of our business. Not only that, we had four policemen killed recently. That's news.

THIS IS A RANT for you waitresses out there. I get so sick of hearing you whine and cry about people not leaving you tips. Well, you took the job, and that's what you are supposed to expect. Some people tip, and some people don't. Stop whining about your tips and be glad you even have a job. And if you don't make it on your first job, try getting a second job.

AFTER SPENDING the last 21/2 weeks traveling overseas and reading editorials and listening to commentaries, it is incredible that the rest of the world sees Obama as a bumbling non-performer. The major question that is asked by everyone is: Does Obama really believe that Iran does not want nuclear weapons and that North Korea will give up theirs? There is a tremendous amount of concern about what will happen to the world if this kind of thinking continues.

ON TUESDAY my friends and I went to see the Oak Ridge Boys. It was absolutely wonderful. I had not been in the Bell Auditorium in a long time. We were very impressed and surprised that everyone was so nice. A gentleman helped us find our seats, and when it was over, the same gentleman told us to have a safe drive home and a nice night. Thanks for a wonderful night and for bringing the Oak Ridge Boys to Augusta.

AS A BLACK MAN, I hope Matt Aitken can be a calming influence on the Augusta Commission. For years and years, I sat back and watched the black commissioners hold Augusta back. Instead of representing their people, they were representing their biases. They were the stumbling block for Augusta's future. Thank you, voters.

THIS IS A RAVE for all our members of the military and law enforcement. They are the ones between us and those who seek to harm us. When you are out and about and see a soldier or someone in law enforcement, take just a moment to say thank you for their service. You will get an appreciative response. I always do.

THIS IS A RANT for the work that was done on the railroad tracks on Old Evans Road near Washington Road. You have to go 2 mph over the hump that they have just created on that railroad train crossing. Could somebody please get out there and take a look at it and possibly fix it before somebody gets hurt or killed?

Dora.Ito
Dora.Ito 12/07/09 - 04:20 am
Please pause for a moment of

Please pause for a moment of reflection on today's anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. If you are fortunate enough to encounter a WW-II Veteran today, please give him/her a hug and/or salute. We owe much to all Veterans, but today is their day in particular. Thank you also to all of our brave military and contract personnel who are working so diligently in these challenging times to make sure we are not attacked again

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/07/09 - 07:08 am
4 policemen killed is NOT

4 policemen killed is NOT news, it's a tragedy.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 12/07/09 - 07:12 am
I agree with the last ranter.

I agree with the last ranter. They didn't make that crossing better, they made it worse. On a better note they did make the one further down Old Evans Rd at the back road to Brown's Seed & Feed a lot better than it was. I can take that one at the speed limit.

Dora.Ito
Dora.Ito 12/07/09 - 07:14 am
To Ranter #4, why is it

To Ranter #4, why is it "incredible" that the rest of the world RECOGNIZES Obama for the bumbling non-performer he is? They are much more in tune with reality and are not bound by skin tone to keep supporting him like so many in the US are.

Martinez
Martinez 12/07/09 - 08:13 am
Please add to the whole

Please add to the whole foreign view of American's what they thought of Bush. The anti-american sentiment hadn't been as high in 30+ years. They hated him to the extent that they hated Americans in general. While they may insult Obama's performance so far - most of the world supported his election, celebrated it and took a huge sigh of relief the day Bush left office. If you are going to paint this picture, paint is accurately - not just what you want others to hear.

Dora.Ito
Dora.Ito 12/07/09 - 08:23 am
I'll paint it accurately. Our

I'll paint it accurately. Our allies friends used to know that they had somebody to come to their aid in a time of crisis. Our enemies did not openly thumb their noses at us and say "No". All that has changed in just under a year. And your facts are absolutely crazy, I've personally been to 17 countries and lived for more than 10 years outside the US. What you want us to believe is not accurate.

TroubIe
TroubIe 12/07/09 - 08:23 am
martinez, i hate to burst

martinez, i hate to burst your bubble, but the rest of the world has hated Americans for many many years, and long before either bush took office.........and the fact that those that hated us wanted obama to be our president speaks volumes for the type of president that they knew he would be, too bad the idiots who voted for him could not see past his skin color to the person that he is like the rest of the world could.

Dora.Ito
Dora.Ito 12/07/09 - 08:39 am
If I was Iran, North Korea,

If I was Iran, North Korea, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba etc. I'd certainly be happy to have an ally at 1600. No reason for them to keep squaking, they won without having to use a single missile.

Martinez
Martinez 12/07/09 - 08:41 am
Not surprised at your

Not surprised at your responses - just reiterates your biased views.... have fun today bashing anyone who doesn't drool over the whole republican band wagon.

Dora.Ito
Dora.Ito 12/07/09 - 08:47 am
Martinez, I bet you only

Martinez, I bet you only support Obama because your husband tells you to. Good wifey. Keep the faith!

TroubIe
TroubIe 12/07/09 - 08:49 am
bit sensitive today are you

bit sensitive today are you martinez? no one bashed you, just disagreed with you........

Martinez
Martinez 12/07/09 - 08:49 am
BTW Trouble - it's somewhat

BTW Trouble - it's somewhat laughable that some of you pointed to the foreign media hating Obama as validation for your view points but then immediately twist it the minute I mentioned the election. You can't have it both ways...... Then again logic is clearly not your strong suit.

Martinez
Martinez 12/07/09 - 08:52 am
Not sensitive at all Trouble

Not sensitive at all Trouble - needed a good laugh on Monday morning. Dora.Ito - yep - that's me - the obedient little wife with no thoughts of her own - you have fun with that thought.

REDRIDER
REDRIDER 12/07/09 - 09:19 am
Tiger's new name Cheetah.

Tiger's new name Cheetah.

TroubIe
TroubIe 12/07/09 - 09:33 am
martinez, i didnt say

martinez, i didnt say anything about the foreign media hating obama, maybe you need to go back and read again..........slower this time

TroubIe
TroubIe 12/07/09 - 09:34 am
reading and comprehension are

reading and comprehension are apparently not your strong points......

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/09 - 09:36 am
I was told recently a waiter

I was told recently a waiter makes about $3.00 per hour,,,,now without tips this would be about $24. a day....Don't think I can make it on that,, can you??Any job is better than no job...I will help them with tips because most deserve it...Fewer people on the welfare list,,,give them a break..

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/07/09 - 10:05 am
Are you sure about the $3 per

Are you sure about the $3 per hour seenitB4. I would think this rate would have gone up since the new minimum wage was increased a few months ago. Why would anyone stay in a waitress/waiter job for $24 a day when they could get a minimum wage job and make that in just a little over 3 hours?

Dora.Ito
Dora.Ito 12/07/09 - 10:09 am
ICL, because most folks are

ICL, because most folks are penny-pinching cheapos and tip. When I was making $1.65/hr to be a waiter, my average night of tips was about $150.

Dora.Ito
Dora.Ito 12/07/09 - 10:10 am
Ooops, because most folks are

Ooops, because most folks are NOT penny-pinching cheapos who won't tip.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/09 - 10:10 am
I was told that by a employee

I was told that by a employee at Teds Montana Grill (great restaurant,husband loves it) last week... I haven't verified the info.. but know they make very little at most restaurants..

amazed1
amazed1 12/07/09 - 10:11 am
In regards to tipping, I tip

In regards to tipping, I tip according to the service that I receive. If the service is poor, then I tip rather poorly. If the service is good, I tip accordingly. However, I always tip.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/09 - 10:16 am
Just wondering, IN CHRIST

Just wondering, IN CHRIST LOVE , do you always tip??

Dora.Ito
Dora.Ito 12/07/09 - 10:19 am
If you go to Denny's, do not

If you go to Denny's, do not expect the same service you get at Cadwalders or The Snug or The Partridge Inn etc. If you choose to frequent quality restaurants, be prepared to tip by percentage of the total bill (including alcohol since the waitperson shares with bartender and busperson). If you are gonna tip $5 at Denny's for a $30 meal for 4, don't tip the same $5 at a real restaurant for a meal for 4.

amazed1
amazed1 12/07/09 - 10:21 am
Seenitb4, don't exactly

Seenitb4, don't exactly understand your thought, but if you are refering to thithes and offerings and more. Yes I do.

willienelson
willienelson 12/07/09 - 10:25 am
amazed, then you aer not

amazed, then you aer not tipping, by definition, but paying a fee for the delivery of your food regardless of the quality of service.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/07/09 - 10:25 am
My thought was with the

My thought was with the screen name IN CHRIST LOVE tipping would come without thought..

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/07/09 - 10:26 am
Most certainly seenitB4, I

Most certainly seenitB4, I always tip and generously I might add. I know these workers are on their feet all day and most do a good job. Why do you ask? We usually receive good service but will say the Chilli's in Evans was the worse place. It's the only time I ever thought about not tipping but couldn't do it. Only left a small tip and hopefully the waitress got the hint. Never been treated that bad before and hope to never experience it again. Needless to say we'll never visit that Chilli's again.

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/07/09 - 10:28 am
once again to all who have

once again to all who have not heard....Mr. Bush is no longer President...we have not had a President for almost a year now.............OT...Rick McKee I love your work...but the cartoon portraying Sir Winston Churchhill (not the script) was not up to your usual artistic standards....lLOL.. he looks more like a bloated Bogart than Sir winston...but the content did make me chuckle.

willienelson
willienelson 12/07/09 - 10:28 am
What Is The Minimum Wage For

What Is The Minimum Wage For Wait Staff?
Wait staff must be paid at least $2.89 per hour and the amount of tips received must bring this amount to $6.15 for all hours worked