Rants and Raves

FINALLY, DEKE can be more than an overpaid ribbon cutter. District one voters broke the curse!

THE POST OFFICE delivers tons of junk mail that we don't want and can't block from receiving. All that paper -- all those dead trees. Let them go broke.

AT LEAST THREE commissioners had the good sense to vote against a resolution asking the legislative delegation to push for a vote on the MOST penny sales tax. I hope the legislative delegation will have enough sense to take no action. An 8 cent sales tax, with the possibility of another cent tax by the state pushing ours to 9 cents, will kill any growth in Richmond County. Consumers will do their shopping in neighboring counties.

LETTER SAYS "America's Pilgrims showed tolerance." Don't try to scam us. The Pilgrims did not "tolerate" sin, disgusting sexual practices, dope, etc. And if those Pilgrims truly believed in their God, they might have put up with people who didn't, but they could not have believed "their theology might contain errors." If you believe in a god who might be wrong, you don't believe in the only God, who created us all.

PHIL JONES, ONE of the world's top "climate scientists," quit his job at a British university because he got caught scamming the world about the phony "climate change." If the whole thing wasn't a hoax, he would never have resigned. Nowadays, the title "scientist" is no more trusted than that of politician.

SANDRA WIMBERLY, "health educator," wants the "stigma" against AIDS patients to stop. Will somebody please tell Ms. Wimberly that for centuries stigmas worked to keep all kinds of crimes and diseases at controllable levels? By not stigmatizing, we only encourage the problems we pretend to fix.

THIS IS A TIP to anyone who has an auto accident. Before moving your vehicle from the roadway you should take a picture of the location of your vehicle. If not you could be in trouble. The situation can change after you leave the scene. Been there ... been through that.

THE LOW-LIFE thieves have begun their Christmas shopping. My home was burglarized a few days before Thanksgiving. It's a foreign concept for these types to actually work for something in their lives. They would rather steal from people who do work for what they have. Really can't expect anything more from human trash. Your day will come.

I KEEP HEARING that some commissioners think the city should not support outside agencies. Am I the only person who sees that cultural institutions like museums, ballets, the symphony and opera only add to the value of a city? Why would tourists visit a downtown with only strip bars, pawn shops and boarded-up buildings?

Bubblesup
Bubblesup 12/05/09 - 04:42 am
Ranter #2 is right. They're

Ranter #2 is right. They're fighting to stay afloat so they can continue to deliver piles and piles of advertisements to my box. What's wrong with this picture?

NEone
NEone 12/05/09 - 05:12 am
Bubbles: What's wrong with

Bubbles: What's wrong with your picture is that it isn't the post office's job to determine what mail is worthless and what is worth delivering. You are going after the wrong people. It's the company that is printing and sending all the junk mail that you should have a complaint about, not the USPS. I certainly don't want them deciding what mail I want and what I might think is junk. It's their job to deliver what is given to them.

methree
methree 12/05/09 - 05:24 am
just put it in the recycle

just put it in the recycle bin! or learn to make your own colorful paper.

1941
1941 12/05/09 - 06:35 am
Re Thieves; They do work!!

Re Thieves; They do work!! Stealing IS thier job!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/05/09 - 07:00 am
Don't blame the USPS ,,, they

Don't blame the USPS ,,, they have to deliver,,,Blame the fools (business) that sent you the junk...I happen to know many dedicated, honest,, hardworking postal employees..Appling P.O. is one of the best...GREAT SERVICE,, GREAT EMPLOYEES.

Dora.Ito
Dora.Ito 12/05/09 - 07:36 am
Another one bites the dust -

Another one bites the dust - Sen. Max Baucus, who has been at the center of health care effort, was having an affair with his current girlfriend when he recommended her for U.S. attorney, aide says. (Fox News)

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 12/05/09 - 10:36 am
The junk mail flap reminds me

The junk mail flap reminds me of another poster who made daily posts screaming about the free weekly N. Augusta paper that was tossed into his yard. How difficult is it to simply toss unwanted mail into the trash can as you pass it by just like the rest of us do? The remark about the dead trees made me laugh. Think about how much paper you use each and everyday for other applications. Its on everything from soup can labels to tolietpaper. The fact is, the paper companies are privately owned as is the land on which they grow their product. Once the land has been harvested it is replanted and left alone to grow for ten years at which time it will be re-harvested. Trees are a renewable resource.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 12/05/09 - 10:42 am
Of course if my answer still

Of course if my answer still doesn't make you happy then you could always write 'return to sender' on all of it and drop it at the post office drop box. If enough of you who are truly worked up about this (non)issue were to do that then you might actually make your point with the companies who are sending out the junk mail that you so despise......

deekster
deekster 12/05/09 - 10:49 am
The USPS loves that junk

The USPS loves that junk mail. The USPS wants that junk mail. The USPS needs that junk mail. You can handle the truth. The USPS gives special rates to that "presorted", "never ending" onslaught of waste called unsolicited advertisement. Its job security. Residential mail would work for five days. Priority mail could be seven. Paper is a needful commodity in our society, but not to simply be thrown in the landfill. By the way, it doesn't just melt into the soil. Recycling paper simply to support the USPS is idiotic.

getalife
getalife 12/05/09 - 11:06 am
The Postal Service has

The Postal Service has contracts with some agencies to put sale papers and junk in our boxes. I tried to get the Postal Service to stop putting the junk in my mailbox, but they said they had to, they were paid to do it???

carcraft
carcraft 12/05/09 - 11:13 am
On the PHIL JONES rant and

On the PHIL JONES rant and rave, why no reporting on the "science" scandal called man made global warming? I have read some of the excerpts from the file "read me Harry"...abunch of the data was made up or fudged..NASA won't release its raw data inspite of violation of the freedom of information act, Micheal Mann is in trouble in the US and the Copenhagen climate meeting is in shambles! ABC,CBS and NBC have not reported on this scandal at all..do they really think it will go away?

Boston93
Boston93 12/05/09 - 11:40 am
To Rolling Eyes: Like your

To Rolling Eyes: Like your 'Return to Sender' idea. I suggest that all make sure and not purchase from any of them. It's as bad on TV now. Instead of Cablevision, we have Commercialvision. You would think the $100 plus we pay the cable companies would allow them to drop the commercials. They are getting paid twice.

SusieQ
SusieQ 12/05/09 - 12:04 pm
These address labels we get

These address labels we get in mail, I know I have received at least a hundred packs this year from different organizations. If I sent money to every one of them I would be in the poor house. I have enough to last if I live to be 200. I kept the applications for credit cards I received in mail one year and at the end of the year I had 123 of them. What a waste to companies!!

happychimer
happychimer 12/05/09 - 12:04 pm
We get junk mail from AT&T

We get junk mail from AT&T every week. i throw it in the trash.

butler123
butler123 12/05/09 - 12:28 pm
I'm with you Boston93. I

I'm with you Boston93. I think we are getting ripped off. We don't pay all that money every month to watch commercials. It started back in the day when people had antennas. That is how they made their money, but now I think it rediculous. I'll be scrolling throught sometimes and see something interesting to watch only to realize that it is on tbs. I won't watch certain channels because of the amount of commercials.

egan01
egan01 12/05/09 - 12:49 pm
If the post office would

If the post office would charge 44 cents for junk mail they would not be loosing money and I would not have to fill their trash can when I empty my P. O. Box.

corgimom
corgimom 12/05/09 - 12:58 pm
You cannot return junk mail.

You cannot return junk mail. All you can do is throw it away.

DaGatorBoy60
DaGatorBoy60 12/05/09 - 01:55 pm
what ya do is cut your name

what ya do is cut your name off the offers you receive from one company, they stuff them into a postage paid envelope you receive from another company and mail them back .... y'all get the idea

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/05/09 - 02:08 pm
Hey butler, since you watch

Hey butler, since you watch TBS, have you, or any other posters, seen a commercial for something called yoomovies or yootv or yoo something lol It is where somehow you put yourself into the movie or tv show. Last night I fell asleep watching a movie and I'm pretty sure it was on tbs, well one time I was half awake and saw the commercial, I was so tired I couldnt get up and get paper so i grabbed the phone to call my cell and leave myself a message for the name or site, but I woke up this morning phone in hand no message haha. I can not find it anywhere this morning on the net. I am 99.9% sure I didn't dream it, but theres always that possibility. lol It looked neat, though was too tired to really see how it worked, I was watching in my subconcious haha, the kids would love it if it worked well.

Bubblesup
Bubblesup 12/05/09 - 02:45 pm
That's right Deekster.

That's right Deekster. That's what I'm talkinbout. The USPS gives special rates to the junkmailers so that they can print and mail even more of that crap to my mailbox. So yeah, I'm blaming the USPS for cutting a deal wutg the junkers to fill up my box. And I'm blaming the USPS for turning trees into paper. And also for filling up a gillion acres of landfill with the junk that they deliver all across the Nation at a cheaper rate than I can get to send my mail.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 12/05/09 - 02:46 pm
Gatorboy, LOL! I love your

Gatorboy, LOL! I love your idea!! What a satisfying solution to the problem. I used to know someone who would glue a brick to 'return postage guaranteed' mail.

butler123
butler123 12/05/09 - 03:52 pm
No actually I seldom watch

No actually I seldom watch those channels because of too many commercials. I've actually forgot what I was watching if the first place by the time they get back to the program.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 12/05/09 - 04:45 pm
lol I hear ya. I usually

lol I hear ya. I usually record everything just so I can skip commercials lol No dvr in that room though lol Thanks anyway.

pommom38
pommom38 12/05/09 - 04:53 pm
I know what you're talking

I know what you're talking about take, but can't recall the name to save my life! It look's really cool though.
I watch NO live tv, less it's the news. I record all the shows I watch, that way I never see a commercial:)
Why fuss about the junk mail? Just throw it away! Sure, it seems like such a waste for the trees, but geez. The companies sending it out are the one's spending the cash, not us.

gargoyle
gargoyle 12/05/09 - 06:10 pm
The last rant sound as if it

The last rant sound as if it came straight out of the elitist where's mine camp . A few day's ago I picked up a picture from a local artist and the subject of subsidies came up . He considered them a waste of money and went on to tell me that no mater where he worked or how he made his living he would still be a artist , that subsidies just muddied the water . He took offence that any government agency should say what is desirable and what has value . He was pleased that his work was wanted and others were willing to purchase them ... Has far as the Snake lady downtown, her form of art must be wanted by customers since I've yet to hear that the commission kicked in any support ... Cultural institutions like ballets, the symphony and opera need to be supported by paying customers just like the Snake Lady for now..