Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

RANT TO THE Augusta commissioners. Stop all this expensive travel. What part of gotomeeting.com do you not understand?

IS IT FAIR to be employed by a local construction company for four years without a raise? They are making all the money while the employees are starving!

SHOULDN'T SOMETHING like health care reform, which concerns so many in this country, be voted on by the people, rather than a bunch of politicians flexing their egos? Also, why does it take a confusing 2,000-page bill? If it's for the people, shouldn't it be simple enough for the man on the street to understand?

ATTENTION OBAMA VOTERS. If this health care bill passes, your life is going to be controlled like you could never imagine. The economy is going to be hurt even more. Let your representative hear from you on Thanksgiving break. Let's see if they fear Obama or fear the wrath of their constituents.

TO THOSE WHO see the changing political climate in this city as a call to service, I applaud you! We sure can use the help. To our seasoned leaders, be ready to mentor and coach.

FORT HOOD is filled with trained gunmen, yet the guards there were apparently all civilian cops. Now a suspicious package is discovered at Fort Benning, so who does the soldier who found it call? The MPs? Of course not! He called 911. Are all of America's military bases now guarded by nonmilitary?

A BIG RANT to all those who are working but won't give anything to any charity. I don't make much money at my job, but I realize there are people in much worse shape than I am. As long as I'm working, I will give to the less fortunate. It may not be a lot, but every little bit helps.

I CAN HARDLY WAIT to hear how the scandalous Mark Sanford will justify all those high-priced flights as "minor, technical errors." Was his affair with his soulmate while married to his wife also a "minor, technical error"?

A RAVE, PLEASE, to the couple who gave me their puppy almost two years ago at Walmart on Bobby Jones Expressway. You came as angels and blessed me with this little black puppy and said, "Take her please; she is free. We can't keep her because we are in an apartment and she will be too big." My family and I love her, and she is about 6 feet tall when she stands on her hind legs, beautiful, well behaved and very protective. I want you to know she is well cared for, and she is very happy.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 11/25/09 - 03:59 am
To the ranter asking is it

To the ranter asking is it fair to be employed in a construction company for 4 years without a raise. Why don't you ask the many who have lost their job what they think. Frankly, with construction work down drastically the past 2 years, you may be more of a drain on the business than you are worth but the owners are working and doing their best to simply keep you employed. When business is down by 20% should you take a 20% pay cut? When it is down 40% would you take a 40% pay cut? You should be asking the owners instead of some stupid post anyway but most likely you already know you are lucky to have a job to begin with. If you don't like it, speak with the owners and/or quit, otherwise, quit whining and give 100% every single day you are employed and be thankful that the owners take major personal risks in oreder to have larger gains and at the same time be able to offer you a job.

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/25/09 - 04:13 am
I'd like to share one of the

I'd like to share one of the best lessons my late father (RIP) ever passed along to me: "When you work for a man, give him everything you've got, no matter what he pays you. If he doesn't realize your worth after a while, find a new man to work for. Always give it 100%." Thank you, Dad!

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 11/25/09 - 05:19 am
Is it fair that there are

Is it fair that there are over 10 million illegals working when there are 10 million citizens unemployed?

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/25/09 - 05:26 am
I'm not convinced there are

I'm not convinced there are really 10 million Americans that are seriously looking for any sort of work. Seems to me like there are too many "management seekers" out there who are barely qualified for data entry and "Won't work for THAT money, I'm worth more!" So be it, the job is still there, somebody will do it.

APiratesLife4Me
APiratesLife4Me 11/25/09 - 05:30 am
Ranter 7, We do give to

Ranter 7, We do give to charity with every paycheck. Now if they choose to buy dope, fake fingernails, and hair extentions with the money instead of diapers, that is not our fault.

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/25/09 - 06:14 am
Ranter #3. "The people" were

Ranter #3. "The people" were stupid enough to select Obama. I don't believe most are qualified to understand the traps, pitfalls and extras that are built into the health care manifesto. I don't have much faith that many elected officials are capable of understanding it either for that matter.

csrareader
csrareader 11/25/09 - 06:46 am
To the construction worker...

To the construction worker... it's an easy fix. If you don't like what your boss is paying you, do something with your life and get another job. Stop whining and blaming others for your situation in life. You are a product of your own decisions. Live with them or do something to make life better.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 11/25/09 - 07:01 am
APiratesLife4Me @ 4:30 -

APiratesLife4Me @ 4:30 - couldn't have said it any better. The construction worker sounds like a Democrat. Gimme gimme gimme. I say earn, earn, earn.

BLACKOUTDAWG1
BLACKOUTDAWG1 11/25/09 - 07:20 am
CHARITY GIVING --Make sure

CHARITY GIVING --Make sure when U give to Charity, that U give direct. Most of the gift will be be deducted, they call it cost of operations. So that means very little goes to the destination. So give direct to whom that needs it.

robbie1
robbie1 11/25/09 - 07:29 am
To the Ft Hood ranter. Do

To the Ft Hood ranter. Do you REALLY want to pay the price for the additional manpower to man the gate with military personnel? We did this in the beginning and it was a terrible drain on our preparation for deployment. There are not enough MP's (Military Police) now. Once troops did deploy, there were fewer troops to man the gates, so the ones left had even less time to train. Upon returning from deployment, troops would have had to return to the gates instead of having some much needed rest and time with their family THEN beginning prep for another deplyment. I won't even ask you if you want someone at the gate with a weapon right after he or she just returned from a combat environment. The one thing we cannot defend against, in a free society, is the lone person with an agenda to creat chaos. Hassan proved that, and it would not have mattered who was on the gate or policing the post.

Chad
Chad 11/25/09 - 07:53 am
To the ranter about the FT.

To the ranter about the FT. Hood Shooter, The civilian police happens to be DA Police (Department of the Army Police) the guards are contracted. County police or city police officers have no juridiction on a military Base. But the PMO and Local police have a working agreement. The 911 call was phoned through the Military Police station, the same as it is here on Ft. Gordon, The DA police are taking over on the bases because the MP's are deployed more than they are home and thier law enforcement skills are probably not where they should be compaired to there war time skills, Yes MP's wear 2 Hats, One for a garrison mission and one for a war time mission, Now if you ask, most all of the DA police are former MP's, Military personnel, Local sherrifs, or deputies.

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/25/09 - 07:53 am
robbie, let's cut to the

robbie, let's cut to the chase, brother. The civilian security personnel at the gate cost much less than active duty MPs who have much better things to do than look at ID cards and chat..

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 11/25/09 - 08:14 am
Boy, you could give some

Boy, you could give some people a new car and they'd complain about the make, model and color of it!!

justbeasy
justbeasy 11/25/09 - 09:05 am
So they buy fake finger

So they buy fake finger nails, extensions...are you referring to one type of people specifically? Meet me at the Riverwalk at 12:00 pm by Fort Discovery, I would like to debate this issue with you...APiratesLifeforMe.

willienelson
willienelson 11/25/09 - 09:19 am
Better yet, meet me at

Better yet, meet me at T-Bones on Washington Road. Instead of proving I am an unintelligent thug whose only ability to make a point is to threaten violence, we can really intelligently debate the issue. I apologize for folks like justbeasy who make a fool of themselves every chance they get. They come to a forum where issues are discussed, by folks of all persuasions, who criticise others they don't agree with, and want to try to intimidate with violence. What a joke! Most likely a girl anyway.

truthisstillhere
truthisstillhere 11/25/09 - 09:21 am
typical, don't like the truth

typical, don't like the truth so want to fight about it....while not all who receive aid go out and buy dope, nails, etc there are those that do and that is a fact.....which are you?

deekster
deekster 11/25/09 - 09:47 am
Please use "wisdom" with your

Please use "wisdom" with your "charity" in this time of need. The Salvation Army and the Golden Harvest Food Bank make the most of your contributions by screening clients for "need". They avoid duplication and fraudulent applications for assistance. They also provide the "other non profit organizations" with toys and food. They even do the "work" for some organizations who take the credit. These "community groups" only shuffle papers and collect federal grant money. You are responsible for where your money goes. Be a cheerful, but not foolish giver (-:

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/25/09 - 09:57 am
A BIG CHEER for small donors

A BIG CHEER for small donors to charity. Thank you for caring about your fellow man. The Salvation Army and the Golden Harvest Food Bank are worthy causes that serve the needy in our community. Our family has stopped exchanging gifts at the holidays. Instead, contributions in someone's name are sent to the Salvation Army or the Golden Harvest Food Bank. And it's an excellent arrangement. It avoids all that miserable holiday shopping and trying to figure out what to buy for someone who already has about everything you can think of.

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/25/09 - 10:12 am
Freeman- It took me quite a

Freeman- It took me quite a while to recognize you, I should have known earlier. I'm glad to see you are still on the green side of the grass.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 11/25/09 - 10:36 am
Seventh rant, giving to

Seventh rant, giving to charities is certainly a commendable gesture. Loudly singing your own praises while condemning others who don't share your feelings cheapens your gesture. You come across as a pious snob.

eachoneteachone
eachoneteachone 11/25/09 - 10:53 am
Charity begans at home.

Charity begans at home.

eachoneteachone
eachoneteachone 11/25/09 - 11:01 am
We need to be talking about

We need to be talking about family planning and birth control. There is a generational welfare population having babies faster than the productive population. Send your contributions to Planned Parenthood. Augustas' motto should be "If you can't feed them don't breed them" The birth that is avoided may be a future armed robber.

CupOSoup2U
CupOSoup2U 11/25/09 - 11:34 am
To each, White trash need to

To each,
White trash need to follow the same motto, too.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/25/09 - 11:36 am
ATTENTION VOTERS. Complain

ATTENTION VOTERS. Complain to your representatives about this health care bill. Thanks Ranter, I often complain to my elected officials but it's just time wasted. My elected officials are all Republicans and they're not known for doing anything other than voting for tax cuts and wars. They're the party of NO answers and NO help but they're red, white and blue and anxious to waste more money in Afghanistan. But I've accomplished something in another direction. I've signed the MoveOn Organization's petition thanking Senator Harry Reid for including a public option in the Senate health care bill. I encourage you to do the same: http://www.moveon.org/

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/25/09 - 11:53 am
gasing - Maybe you should

gasing - Maybe you should send an email to Senator Lieberman and ask him not to sink it. I'm sure he'll care just as much about your opinion as we do. Good luck! Wishing you the best on your blissful path to oblivion!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 11/25/09 - 11:54 am
Moveon, the other side of

Moveon, the other side of ACORN!

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/25/09 - 12:02 pm
Hey, Obama made a prediction

Hey, Obama made a prediction he will make "official" at West Point next week. "I don't believe the US military will be in Afghanistan in 8 or 9 years." Hey guess what you idiot? You won't have any say in it by that point either! "Present"

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/25/09 - 12:15 pm
JerryAtrick - Thanks for your

JerryAtrick - Thanks for your opinion and everybody is entitled to one. But health care supporters are heartened and looking foreword to a big up coming celebration. It's a long time overdue! Do you think sending sympathy cards to our two Republican Senators is appropriate?

happychimer
happychimer 11/25/09 - 12:49 pm
gaspringwater now that is an

gaspringwater now that is an idea.

michelle84
michelle84 11/25/09 - 12:51 pm
I love that last rave! What a

I love that last rave! What a lucky puppy! Totally brought a smile to my face! :)

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...