Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

HEALTH CARE BILL not supported by majority of citizens as polls have indicated. Why are the Senate and House of Representatives wasting time working on a health plan not supported by the public. Simply put, they are not listening to the people they're supposed to represent.

HEADLINE: "Winfrey to announce end of TV talk show." It's about time!

THE NEWSPAPER'S POLICY says thugs must be called "Mr.," but every day good guys are just called Smith or Jones. For example, two previously convicted goons are accused of an awful home invasion, but they are labeled "Mr." Murray and "Mr." Glenn. This is political correctness gone far overboard. It's a sickening "policy."

HEADLINE: "Financial adviser urges decision" to go ahead and borrow big "TEE center" bucks because interest rates are down some. Why borrow for something that's not absolutely essential, especially when everybody, including governments, is worse than broke, i.e., in the hole?

I LOVE this time of the year. Augusta is beautiful. It seems the ribbons on the wreaths have been in storage for a long time. I know it is expensive, but let's buy new ones next year. I remember when we had strings of lights back and forth across the street.

YOUR NOV. 20 EDITORIAL CARTOON jumps on "Wall Street," as do all media nowadays. There are definitely crooks on Wall Street, but every person who owns even one share of stock bought through the New York Stock Exchange also is part of Wall Street, and that includes a whole lot of Americans who are retired or who are saving up for retirement. Don't attack the whole army, just some corrupt generals.

IS ANYONE really surprised that a government health care task force would suggest women wait until after age 50 to start having annual mammograms? It is just a foretaste of rationed and delayed treatments under Obama/Pelosi Care.

OVERPAID RICHMOND SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENT wants to raise the school dropout age. It could help, but it won't. What we need are parents who have the common sense to rear their kids right. And that's not happening. And as long as political correctness rules over common sense, it never will.

HAVE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA FANS turned into pigs? From the garbage dump, quadrangle photo on your sports page, it appears so. Why doesn't the university just send in the cops to arrest every single pig who litters at ball games?

IF THERE'S water on the moon, why is there no life there?

robbie1
robbie1 11/23/09 - 04:31 am
If you do not support the

If you do not support the health care reform as it appears to be going, let your representatives know. Showing your disdain in comments on the paper's website isn't going to change anything. If you didn't vote last electionand you're now unhappy, you did the equivalent of voting for the person who is now in office. You gave approval through your own silence. You will be heard only if you speak in a language that is heard. The ballot box.

omnomnom
omnomnom 11/23/09 - 06:18 am
i like the last rant. out

i like the last rant. out from left field, that one is.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 11/23/09 - 06:31 am
Luckily I support health care

Luckily I support health care reform- so I'll just stay put. Our healthcare system has been broken for a while and it's time for something to be done- especially the pre-existing denials.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 11/23/09 - 06:51 am
What is wrong with the

What is wrong with the current pre-existing denials? Is your car insurance company going to start a policy to insure you AFTER you have an accident? Or home insurance AFTER your house burns down? Or theft insurance AFTER your belongings are stolen?

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/23/09 - 06:59 am
Supporting a comprehensive

Supporting a comprehensive review of the existing heath care system and implementing logical reforms, and the tweaking/elimination of problem areas, where necessary, is something that the vast majority of rational Americans support. Unfortunately, this cut and paste 2,000 page piece of revisionist manure doesn't represent that approach. It's an ill thought out "change for the sake of change" proposal that is being foisted upon us due to upcoming elections. Even if it passes as drafted (not a snowball's chance), these "wonderful changes" don't take effect until 2013.....coincidence? At least if they are going to lie to us about the "urgency" they should be "open and transparent" as to why.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 11/23/09 - 07:30 am
Trukin, apparently you

Trukin, apparently you haven't seen the pork that's already stuffed into the bill to get certain reluctant Dems to vote for it. Everything but the squeal!! Recall Congress!!

getalife
getalife 11/23/09 - 09:46 am
While the benefits(??) of the

While the benefits(??) of the proposed Health Care Plan will not start until 2013, the contributions will start immediately if the plan passes. Why not clean up the health care systems first and reduce the national budget, then work on providing it for all people. The proposed plan will only add 9 percent more of the population to the new system, why change the entire system for this small percentage? Why not provide doctors for these people through Medicare or through our local health departments?? This is politics at it's worst.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 11/23/09 - 09:59 am
"IF THERE'S water on the

"IF THERE'S water on the moon, why is there no life there?" Because its too far to go for a drink........ lol!

willienelson
willienelson 11/23/09 - 10:04 am
Why not let military and VA

Why not let military and VA hospitals take private pay & insurance covered patients to offset the costs of providing health care to the active & retired military. Even if done at lower costs they should be able to at least break even.

willienelson
willienelson 11/23/09 - 10:06 am
Is Oprah gonna anounce her

Is Oprah gonna anounce her entrance into local politics in 2012? That will coincide with her retirement from her way over rated sit com.

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/23/09 - 10:07 am
willie, because they are

willie, because they are already full of us and we earned it.

Irish
Irish 11/23/09 - 10:09 am
I saw a bumper sticker that

I saw a bumper sticker that said "Pray for O"bama". It then said Psalms 109:8....take a minute and look it up....it's a hoot......

willienelson
willienelson 11/23/09 - 10:09 am
jerry, I agree that we earned

jerry, I agree that we earned it. However why not increase the number of beds and treat more folks. The extra money couldn't hurt.

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/23/09 - 10:27 am
Irish, I don't have to look

Irish, I don't have to look it up. Somebody got banned for posting it recently...lol

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 11/23/09 - 10:44 am
Dear Downtown Jaywalkers -- I

Dear Downtown Jaywalkers -- I know your time is precious, too precious to wait a few minutes for the "walk" signal (that my tax dollars paid for). But, please, could you at least glance in the general direction of on-coming traffic before stepping out into the street right in front of us? P.S. That goes for you cellphone users too!

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 11/23/09 - 10:51 am
Overburdened, I think you'd

Overburdened, I think you'd feel differently if your child had leukemia and your insurance decided to excluded any cancer treatments for the rest of his life.

crackerjack
crackerjack 11/23/09 - 11:09 am
Last Rant.......There's water

Last Rant.......There's water on your brain, and there's no life there either. lol

robbie1
robbie1 11/23/09 - 11:09 am
Willie. Haven't you seen the

Willie. Haven't you seen the results of the way the VA has run the military Health sysem? Does no one remember that the guy in charge of Walter Reed got canned because of the poor care our soldiers were recieving? You'd just be throwing more money at an already bad situation.

crackerjack
crackerjack 11/23/09 - 11:11 am
The present Administration is

The present Administration is complaining about FOX not having enough African-Americans and Hispanics on their programs, so starting next week they will be airing America's Most Wanted.

SusieQ
SusieQ 11/23/09 - 11:15 am
willienelson-- Fort Gordon

willienelson-- Fort Gordon already charges private insurance companies at the pharmacy and certain things in the hospital. You have to fill out a form about your private insurance at the pharmacy and also if you are in the hospital. They even took my husband's information and he's 100% disabled Veteran, they give you a little card you have to show every time. Unless they have changed it, this was the way it was until we stopped using Ft. Gordon.

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/23/09 - 11:21 am
robbie, have you ever

robbie, have you ever personally received care from a VA medical facility?

robbie1
robbie1 11/23/09 - 12:02 pm
Not yet, Jerry. I have lived

Not yet, Jerry. I have lived with the care of the military and get my info from a relative that works at Walter Reed. Judging from the "outstanding" care I have received so far, I am hoping to avoid the need. Crackerjack, that's really out of line.

butler123
butler123 11/23/09 - 12:07 pm
Exactly what I was thinking

Exactly what I was thinking Willie. Her and Obama being such buddy, buddies.

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/23/09 - 12:12 pm
robbie, I didn't think so,

robbie, I didn't think so, that was a trick question. You'd come back with a different tune if you were anything more than a dependent and actually received the level of care The Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center in particular provides. No, I'm not an employee, I'm a client.

robbie1
robbie1 11/23/09 - 12:23 pm
Actually, Jerry, you tricked

Actually, Jerry, you tricked yourself. I am a sponsor. I have not been happy with the level of care that the military has provided my family for almost 20 years. I am not impressed that wounded soldiers got substandard care at Walter Reed until someone got video to the media. I am not impressed when VA personnel lost tons of personal data because they stored it improperly in their home... Not once, but twice. I have no doubt that you are impressed by the care you have gotten at Norwood. Having done business there a few times, they are impressive, but since I will not be retiring in Augusta, I will do my best to avoid needing the VA as much as I can.

BCG
BCG 11/23/09 - 12:32 pm
health care system is not

health care system is not broken. We have excellent health care. What we have is a failure of the system to be upfront on exact costs and letting people judge who will provide for them by cost comparsion. Try getting that from a hospital or a doctors office you would have less pain by pulling out your own teeth. It works well for the drugs you have to have by calling pharmacies why not for all the services.

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/23/09 - 12:37 pm
robbie, fair enough. When

robbie, fair enough. When it's your turn, I hope you are as lucky as I am with the care. I choose to use the VA for myself, my family still uses Tricare Prime at EAMC. We've never had a significant problem with the care received in over 15 years in this area.

robbie1
robbie1 11/23/09 - 12:46 pm
Hoorah, Jerry. Way to stick

Hoorah, Jerry. Way to stick up for the folks at Norwood. I know there are good folks working for the VA. They do the best they can with what they have. But the system is government run, and when we hear about the bureaucrats telling the Docs to diagnose "personality disorder" instead of PTSD, so that the VA doesn't have to pay, I remember my predecessors' fight over Agent Orange. Time to go to dinner and bed. Its night time here...

JerryAtrick
JerryAtrick 11/23/09 - 12:51 pm
robbie - Gotcha, stay safe!

robbie - Gotcha, stay safe! One last aside, I am merely sharing my personal experiences/observations on military and VA medical care. I understand you are hearing and reading things from sources you consider reliable. I'm not attempting to discredit what you are saying. Just sharing my family's view of things.

dixie
dixie 11/23/09 - 12:59 pm
SusieQ, it is still that way

SusieQ, it is still that way at Eisenhower Hospital at Fort Gordon and that is why I stopped using Fort Gordon. My husband still uses it for most things though.