Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

A COMMENT TO Mr. Fennoy. He lost my vote by calling my phone number and soliciting a vote last Saturday during the Georgia football game.

THIS IS FOR THE lady's house at Aumond Place off of Walton Way where my kids went trick or treating on Oct. 31. She would not give them any candy because they did not have a costume. Maybe she should think that sometimes some parents cannot afford to buy a costume, and this was the case with me and my three kids. I think it was very rude.

A HUGE RANT FOR Brandon Spikes of the Florida Gators. They deserved to win the game, but he should be suspended indefinitely as a football player, period.

THIS IS A RANT against Mr. Lindsey Graham, our senator from the state of South Carolina. If you want to be a Democrat, go be one. You will not be getting my vote in the next election.

TO THE WRITER of the letter to the editor Nov. 5, Gil Ward, I applaud you. Right on the money. You told the truth about homosexuality. I agreed with every word you wrote.

TO THE PERSON IN the small blue car that bumped into the rear end of me on Bel Air Road close to Cox Road: I know that traffic was bad and that we couldn't go nowhere, but I pulled into the filling station. Why didn't you pull in behind me instead of taking off like a bat out of hell?

WHAT MAKES SENSE to me sometimes is people do stupid things. Highway cleanup, sure, it needs to be done because people are too lazy to pick up after themselves. If everybody would clean up after themselves, we wouldn't need highway cleanup. Stop cigarette butts and trash out the window. Keep a bag in your car and put your trash in that bag.

RANT FROM North Augusta. More traffic comes in the entrance of Pisgah Road in one day than goes in Hammond's Ferry in a month. The streets in Hammond's Ferry don't have any gravel or debris on them, but Pisgah Road does.

WE AND OUR allies won World War II because all the people joined the fight against the enemy. We have not won any wars since because now you are a Republican or you are nothing, or you are a Democrat or you are nothing. I'm so glad that Americans were different back then.

BEING A WHITE Harrisburger of the '50s and '60s, Fennoy needs to be run out of town. He's the biggest racist I've ever seen. This is 2009. Get a clue.

jack
jack 11/09/09 - 12:51 pm
I don't give candy to kids

I don't give candy to kids that are taller than I am, as they ain't kids any more.

not a sheep
not a sheep 11/09/09 - 12:59 pm
Jack... you must not have

Jack... you must not have paid attention to any education reports since that program came out, because educators WERE dumbing down the material out of fear of not leaving anyone behind! It sounded like a good idea in theory but definitely wasn't in practice. And would you refuse candy to a 6'8" 11-year-old: http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1011697 ?

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/09/09 - 01:04 pm
WE AND OUR allies won World

WE AND OUR allies won World War II because we banded together and followed the leader. Dear Ranter, I'm not sure you have the right flavor here. More idealized fervor than anything else. Roosevelt and the Washington politicians were just as devious and dishonest dragging America into the war as Dubya and his crowd was coning the public into attacking Iraq.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 11/09/09 - 01:10 pm
Watch out Senator Graham, the

Watch out Senator Graham, the Repubnicants eat their own politicians if they are not in lock-step with Furhrer Limbaugh and arch-fuhrer Beck.

rjay
rjay 11/09/09 - 01:11 pm
why didn't she dress them up

why didn't she dress them up as poor kids? oh!she did

truthisstillhere
truthisstillhere 11/09/09 - 01:22 pm
my kids costume cost us $3.97

my kids costume cost us $3.97 + tax this year......we bought a latex skull mask for $2, a plastic butcher knife for $1, and a $.97 bottle of red paint from walmart......we dressed him in an old pair of white pants and a white tee shirt, put a red apron the wife had over this and smeared red paint over the white and the knife to look like blood......he looked like the 'bloody butcher' costume places were selling for $20-30.....he got several compliments.....i could afford to buy it but putting it together ourselves was more fun

dclark1983
dclark1983 11/09/09 - 01:42 pm
Lindsey Graham is getting

Lindsey Graham is getting flack for what? Disagreeing with his peers, but still staying in line with conservative values? Everyone doesn't have to be extreme left or right to be correct. Political Extremists (many of you on here) are annoyingly ignorant, short-sighted and close minded.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 11/09/09 - 02:00 pm
Niko - you have nerve to talk

Niko - you have nerve to talk about Republicans eating their own? What about Moveon.org promising to use their warchest in primaries against any democrats who voted against the house healthcare bill? Now that is eating their own if they aren't in lockstep with their socialist commrades.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 11/09/09 - 02:05 pm
Are you sure the teachers

Are you sure the teachers were dumbing down the kids so they wouldn't be left behind? Could it have been the teachers taught as much as THEY understood? Have you heard some teachers speech patterns? Sometimes it's worse than the kids they supposedly teach.

not a sheep
not a sheep 11/09/09 - 02:36 pm
That is true, overburdened.

That is true, overburdened. It's probably a combination of both. My little sister lost the Columbia County spelling bee in fifth grade four years ago because the person reading the words didn't pronounce "trinity" correctly. "Treeeehnity." (It's on video tape.) I was so [filtered word] when I heard about that -- I wish I would have been there to dispute it. But it's probably a good thing I wouldn't have, because I probably would have ended up putting down the Southern accent and pissing off a WHOLE lot of people. But seriously. You can't host a spelling bee if you're not going to pronounce words in their correct, standard form.

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/09/09 - 02:38 pm
I thought President Obama was

I thought President Obama was the modern JFK incarnate. Why isn't he in Berlin today to help commemorate the 20th anniversary of the fall of the wall? He could coin a new phrase "Ich bin ein Broliner"

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/09/09 - 02:58 pm
SayNoMore - Its Berlin's day

SayNoMore - Its Berlin's day to cheer the unification of the German people. To cheer the absence of extremist agendas on both their East & West sides. It's not a day to cheer Obama but Germans ARE big on cheering Obama anyway. Did I read the new German government wants all nuclear weapons removed from German soil?

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/09/09 - 03:02 pm
Since the USA was responsible

Since the USA was responsible for the wall coming down and many other world leaders are there, I think it would have been appropriate. Once again you show up unarmed. Go find somebody else to play with, you bore me. I guess you missed the punchline too.

gnx
gnx 11/09/09 - 03:04 pm
I bet the mother of the two

I bet the mother of the two poor children had a full supply of make up in her bathroom for going out clubbing. How hard can it possibly be to make up a costume from what you've got in the house and use your own makeup to put creative faces on the kids? What on earth is she doing on Aumond Place if she doesn't have the money to buy her kids outfits? I don't blame the lady for not giving out candy to those kids - I only give it out to kids I recognize as being from my neighborhood. Those who look old enough to be working for their own money certainly don't get any candy.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/09/09 - 03:08 pm
SayNoMore - You said the USA

SayNoMore - You said the USA is responsible for the wall coming down in Berlin. Do you take credit for the sun shining in Berlin too? The US is largely responsible for the wall going up. But the German people's desire for peace and brotherhood are responsible for the wall coming down.

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/09/09 - 03:15 pm
tapwater - Nothing I can type

tapwater - Nothing I can type can make you look more ignorant than you do yourself. President Regan bankrupted the USSR which facilitated the breakup of the Eastern Bloc and opened the possibility of re-unification. The West Germans were (many still are) heavily opposed to the idea. Go to Germany and talk to Germans about it, I have.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/09/09 - 03:27 pm
SayNoMore - Reagan and his

SayNoMore - Reagan and his discredited philosophy still haunts us today. He was a disaster and thank God our country and the world survived him anyway.

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/09/09 - 03:29 pm
I rest my case. Have a

I rest my case. Have a blissful day and try and keep the drool out of your keyboard. Maybe the drywall biz will pick up soon and you can go back to work.

TroubIe
TroubIe 11/09/09 - 03:31 pm
i was stationed in germany

i was stationed in germany with my ex when the wall came down, the germans where i was were not as happy about that development as you would think they would have been, they started acting cold towards Americans over there, and they wanted us out of their country, they did nothing to hide this

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 11/09/09 - 03:34 pm
Now that is funny

Now that is funny gaspringwater. I don't think the American voter at large agreed with your assessment of Reagan. Especially after the electorate placed another Republican in the White House after him. If I'm not mistaken that gave the Republicans 12 straight years in that position. The White House website says of the historical data on Reagan "Overall, the Reagan years saw a restoration of prosperity, and the goal of peace through strength seemed to be within grasp." http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/ronaldreagan

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/09/09 - 03:37 pm
SayNoMore - You said Berlin

SayNoMore - You said Berlin was commemorating the fall of the Berlin wall and I've seen a news line too. Are they dedicating a plaque to Ronnie too? Seeing he was so instrumental in that historical affair.

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/09/09 - 03:43 pm
Old news, I've been there and

Old news, I've been there and seen the statue of him that was previously dedicated. Keep digging, you look more silly with every shovel of dirt. Unlike you, I have enough pride to not keep showing my butt when I know nothing about a subject I'm trying to debate. Type away now, say whatever, you got more of my time than you merit.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 11/09/09 - 03:46 pm
The best costume I saw this

The best costume I saw this year was a kid wearing a box with six empty butter tubs glued to one side. The whole thing was painted red. He was a Leggo Block. It was inexpensive and imaginative. Bet he took in just as much candy as the kids did wearing the store bought costumes.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/09/09 - 03:50 pm
TroubIe - You said Germans

TroubIe - You said Germans want Americans out of their country. The Germans I've know speak and feel this way too. Think for yourself, who wants a conquer on their soil forever. America has long wore out it's welcome in Germany. But the Germany people still like American people - they just want us to get the hell out of their country. The Germany people wanted us to feud with Russia across the Pacific ocean instead of across Europe.

not a sheep
not a sheep 11/09/09 - 03:56 pm
Rolling Eyes -- I remember

Rolling Eyes -- I remember one year, I went as a birthday present. We just took a large cardboard box, took the flaps off one end, cut holes for my arms and head and covered it in wrapping paper and put a bow on my head. You can find most of those items at the Dollar Tree, and you can get second-hand cardboard boxes for free at some stores if you just ask! I feel really sorry for those children that their parent(s) couldn't come up with ANYTHING.

TroubIe
TroubIe 11/09/09 - 03:59 pm
talk about revisionist

talk about revisionist history there gaspingforair (your brain seems to be starved of it)...... once the ussr threat was removed, they feel they can handle their defense themselves knowing that all they have to do is call NATO for help and the US will be there again

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 11/09/09 - 04:00 pm
That is wonderful N A S! The

That is wonderful N A S! The only limits to a great costume is a limited imagination.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 11/09/09 - 04:00 pm
My Mom made me into a robot

My Mom made me into a robot with a couple of brown grocery bags painted silver and eyes cut out of the one over my head.

sassylassie
sassylassie 11/09/09 - 04:03 pm
A rant to the mother with the

A rant to the mother with the trick or treaters. How slack of you to not creatively come up with a costume with something you have at home (which most of us growing up did!) and put your kids through the shame of going door to door with no costume? Sounds like you sent them out begging to me! And I can imagine you drove them to a "better" beighborhood to get the "good" candy! If they came to my door, I wouldn't give them any either. It's not their fault--it's their SLACK MOTHER'S FAULT! WAAAAAH! I suppose you are also a mother who expects the schools to feed your kids two free meals a day then complains if they don't get the "choice" they want either, huh? Get a life.

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/09/09 - 04:14 pm
TroubIe - Maybe you didn't

TroubIe - Maybe you didn't talk to enough German people to get the message. They were in the middle and felt victimized. With SOB's on both sides and they were the ones going to get toasted if the fools in either Washington or Moscow lost their mind or had an accident. The Germans had mass demonstrations in the 1970's to stop new US missiles being deployed on their soil. The situation only calmed down when Russia agreed to move their missiles further back. Who in their right mind has a lot of confidence in Washington? Even the American people ain't that dumb!

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...