Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

A COMMENT TO Mr. Fennoy. He lost my vote by calling my phone number and soliciting a vote last Saturday during the Georgia football game.

THIS IS FOR THE lady's house at Aumond Place off of Walton Way where my kids went trick or treating on Oct. 31. She would not give them any candy because they did not have a costume. Maybe she should think that sometimes some parents cannot afford to buy a costume, and this was the case with me and my three kids. I think it was very rude.

A HUGE RANT FOR Brandon Spikes of the Florida Gators. They deserved to win the game, but he should be suspended indefinitely as a football player, period.

THIS IS A RANT against Mr. Lindsey Graham, our senator from the state of South Carolina. If you want to be a Democrat, go be one. You will not be getting my vote in the next election.

TO THE WRITER of the letter to the editor Nov. 5, Gil Ward, I applaud you. Right on the money. You told the truth about homosexuality. I agreed with every word you wrote.

TO THE PERSON IN the small blue car that bumped into the rear end of me on Bel Air Road close to Cox Road: I know that traffic was bad and that we couldn't go nowhere, but I pulled into the filling station. Why didn't you pull in behind me instead of taking off like a bat out of hell?

WHAT MAKES SENSE to me sometimes is people do stupid things. Highway cleanup, sure, it needs to be done because people are too lazy to pick up after themselves. If everybody would clean up after themselves, we wouldn't need highway cleanup. Stop cigarette butts and trash out the window. Keep a bag in your car and put your trash in that bag.

RANT FROM North Augusta. More traffic comes in the entrance of Pisgah Road in one day than goes in Hammond's Ferry in a month. The streets in Hammond's Ferry don't have any gravel or debris on them, but Pisgah Road does.

WE AND OUR allies won World War II because all the people joined the fight against the enemy. We have not won any wars since because now you are a Republican or you are nothing, or you are a Democrat or you are nothing. I'm so glad that Americans were different back then.

BEING A WHITE Harrisburger of the '50s and '60s, Fennoy needs to be run out of town. He's the biggest racist I've ever seen. This is 2009. Get a clue.

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/09/09 - 03:14 am
Ranter #1 - If you are a UGA

Ranter #1 - If you are a UGA fan and it was during the Gators' puppy-chomping festival, Mr Fennoy was probably trying to do you a favor by getting you away from the carnage on TV.

Georgialina
Georgialina 11/09/09 - 06:17 am
Rant # 2- I call BS. You

Rant # 2- I call BS. You could not afford a costume for your little "crumb snatcher"? Bull Crap!! Halloween is kinda a social contract between the kids and the candy owners. If you want my candy you have to entertain me with your costume. Been going on that way for lot's of years. Otherwise it's just welfare. In your plan why wait until Oct. 31? Just send your kids out begging for food anytime of the year. Another thing, how much gas did you spend carting your "entitlees" all the way over to Walton Way? I have a theory, If you could afford to live in that area, you could afford costumes. Not the cheapest section of town to own property. If it was your neighborhood, Your kids could have bought costumes!!

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 11/09/09 - 07:41 am
Ranter#2- You have a month to

Ranter#2- You have a month to come up with costumes for your children. No excuse your just lazy and want a handout! Giving out candy is a choice,the lady didn't have to give out candy to the kids. She could have turned off her lights. She did pay for the candy so she can decide who she gives it to. There is always someone out there complaining about what they get for FREE!

catfish201
catfish201 11/09/09 - 07:51 am
My parents could not afford

My parents could not afford to buy me a Halloween costume when I was growing up so I made mine and had a fantastic time in the process. Stop making excuses and use that energy to solve your own problems.

omnomnom
omnomnom 11/09/09 - 08:07 am
yeah, i stopped giving

yeah, i stopped giving halloween candy affer the "trick or treaters" were showing up sporting more facial hair than I could rock w/ two weeks growth. Didn't even notice if they were wearing costumes or not. Hey, everybody, Fred Deke and the merry band of morons meet down at the marble palace today to debate on how best save their own necks with your hard earned money! Woo shah! Hope Woody shows up! Must see TV indeed.

andywarhol
andywarhol 11/09/09 - 08:18 am
Talk about a lack of

Talk about a lack of creativity. I feel sorry for those children with the parent that is too lazy to help them put something together to wear.

Martinez
Martinez 11/09/09 - 08:30 am
No Costume - No Candy -

No Costume - No Candy - Sounds Fair to Me!!! Face make-up, a toga made of bed sheets........seriously you could have come up with something! My child's costume consisted of $ 8.00 worth of accessories from Wal-Mart and was one of her best to date. Be creative or keep your kids at home. Let me guess, do you even live off Walton Way or did you drive your kids to a neighborhood where they could get "better" candy?

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 11/09/09 - 08:40 am
Ya'll should be ashamed of

Ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves. Now that Obama is in office these kids don't have to pretend and wear costumes anymore.Being poor and looking for a handout is all in vogue. But they were in their costumes and practicing as future leeches.

Martinez
Martinez 11/09/09 - 08:53 am
overburdened - even you can't

overburdened - even you can't believe that every democrat or Obama supporter is looking for a handout. Bash his healthcare bill or whatever else but I have yet to hear him do anything but encourage education and personal accountability for today's youth. The prior admins approach to poor school performance was to dumb down the entire system to cater to the lowest level. I don't agree with everything he's doing just as I didn't agree with a lot of the prior admin. To imply every issue in the US today falls on his shoulders is to imply that he actually has that power. No more so then Bush did and just incase you forgot - a good part of the economic downturn and first round of rediculous stimulus money came under his watch!

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/09/09 - 08:53 am
Did anyone else have to look

Did anyone else have to look at the spelling of Pisgah Road two or three times this morning? I mean with the topic of the rant and all, I thought it might have been a typo or dyslexia kicking in.....

dani
dani 11/09/09 - 09:35 am
No age was given for the

No age was given for the "kids" but you want to bet they were not small children.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 11/09/09 - 09:38 am
Martinez of course Obama has

Martinez of course Obama has encouraged education and personal accountability and all the while he and his Democrats are enabling the entitlement crowd even more. His mouth speaks one thing while his actions speak another.

willienelson
willienelson 11/09/09 - 09:51 am
Ranter #1, Had he started off

Ranter #1, Had he started off with "How Bout Then Dawgs", would he have gotten your vote? I'm sure lots of folks who worked all day on Saturday would rather have been at home watching TV. Maybe not this particular loss to the Gators but something.....it would have angered me more if my DAWGS had been winning.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 11/09/09 - 09:52 am
You were offended cause one

You were offended cause one lady refused to give your children candy. Then blame it on you being poor. I really don't care that you are poor. Being poor does not mean unhappiness. It means you have less. Its not that hard to make a costume. You are poor in spirit.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 11/09/09 - 09:54 am
Ranter#1 if you didn't want

Ranter#1 if you didn't want to be bothered, why did you answer the phone?

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/09/09 - 10:12 am
If the ranter was a Dawgs fan

If the ranter was a Dawgs fan he/she might have thought it was Dr Kevorkian offering to stop the suffering.

willienelson
willienelson 11/09/09 - 10:21 am
Saynomore...please...say no

Saynomore...please...say no more...lol you laugh now but about 3 times every 2 decades we da man!!!

willienelson
willienelson 11/09/09 - 10:23 am
Someone said it was 4 times

Someone said it was 4 times every 2 decades. I apologize to Gator fans ebby where.

atsugua13
atsugua13 11/09/09 - 10:46 am
cheers to the lady who held

cheers to the lady who held her ground about giving candy to those who would not even come up with some type of candy. The line in the sand has to be drawn. good start.

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/09/09 - 11:06 am
"cheers to the lady who held

"cheers to the lady who held her ground about giving candy to those who would not even come up with some type of candy." HUH? "No candy to those that don't have their own candy" ???

Crazy Irish
Crazy Irish 11/09/09 - 11:06 am
To the Mom who can't create a

To the Mom who can't create a costume. You want me to believe you think you can raise a child and you can't be creative and come up with something? I bet the child could.

Vera Donavon
Vera Donavon 11/09/09 - 11:29 am
One can be creative when

One can be creative when making costumes, if you can not afford one..makeup on face...etc etc....no excuse. I've done it many a time.

Hepkikyo
Hepkikyo 11/09/09 - 11:30 am
I would encourage you to take

I would encourage you to take it easy on the kids. I was once one of those poor kids who didn't have a proper costume. I put a few more tears in my pants, rubbed some dirt on my face, and told the keepers of the candies that I was a hobo. They were not impressed. I remember feeling ashamed for being too poor to qualify for Halloween candy.

Vera Donavon
Vera Donavon 11/09/09 - 11:32 am
atsuqua, have another cuppa

atsuqua, have another cuppa joe.

brownskin30434
brownskin30434 11/09/09 - 11:44 am
I find it hard to believe

I find it hard to believe that someone is complaining becausee one person refused to give their kid candy. I find it harder to believe that so many people found a way to make this incident political. If no one gives your kids candy, move on to the next house or better yet take your klids to one of those placed that sponsered an event so that kids would not be running up and down the street risking harm. As for anyone who wants to make this a political issue: GET A LIFE! Everything that goes wrong in this country is not the fault of liberal democrats or President Obama.

not a sheep
not a sheep 11/09/09 - 01:02 pm
To the mother who complained

To the mother who complained about the woman not wanting to break a Halloween tradition: Not being able to afford store-bought costumes is the best reason to GET CREATIVE!!! You're telling me you couldn't look around your house to put together some costumes? My most memorable costumes were the cheaper ones that we put together ourselves rather than going to Target and buying something pre-made that other kids were going to be wearing. Often, the reason was that my parents just could not afford to buy costumes. With video games, TV and the Internet, kids don't take many opportunities to be creative anymore, and it is your fault that you lost out on a hilarious and fun night for your family. You are a lazy parent.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 11/09/09 - 01:10 pm
Yeah most everything that

Yeah most everything that goes wrong in this country IS the fault of Obama or the democrats.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 11/09/09 - 01:12 pm

Thank God it's not the Republican's or Bushes fault anymore.

not a sheep
not a sheep 11/09/09 - 01:15 pm
Sorry, overburdened_taxpayer,

Sorry, overburdened_taxpayer, I can't help myself... *Republicans' *Bush's (or Bushes' if you want to say people were laying blame on Laura Bush as well as George)

jack
jack 11/09/09 - 01:47 pm
Martinez, one previous admin

Martinez, one previous admin that didn't dumb down the public ed system was GW Bush with his no child left bhind program that demanded improvement on the part of the system.

Nuke supplier agrees to changes after cheating

ATLANTA - A manufacturer making parts for two nuclear plants in the Southeast has promised to better train its employees after investigators accused three workers of cheating on a qualification ...