Rants and Raves

AFTER MORE THAN a month of multiple daily articles, interviews and pictures about breast cancer, a ranter wrote last week that it "sure would have been nice if the cause could have gotten some support from the paper." You even printed an entire edition in pink, which I could not read. Please don't ever do that again. Either this ranter is not a newspaper subscriber, is functionally illiterate or this was supposed to be some kind of joke about overkill. What is so funny about cancer?

APPARENTLY, THE Richmond County school system does not know how to "communicate." Otherwise, why would it spend on an outside firm for advice? Here's all the info the school leaders need: To communicate with parents, send a note home with the student and occasionally use that thing called a telephone. Now! See how easy. You just saved taxpayers $120,000.

WHY ARE WE starting to see so many ads, signs, etc. in Spanish? I even see ads requiring bilingual employees. Is this not America? Let's make English our official language. I've stopped dining where the menus are in Spanish and make it a point to tell them why I am leaving.

RAVES TO THE Augusta Sports Council and the many volunteers who helped make the second annual Augusta Half Marathon such a wonderful event. We thoroughly enjoyed the run and look forward to next year.

WE AMERICANS need to start a movement to vote all politicians out of office and start fresh. We may lose 1 or 2 percent decent ones, but it would be worth it to lose the other 98 percent. Since they won't pass a bill with term limits, this is the only way to get rid of these career politicians.

HAS ANYONE ever thought about how great it would be, not only for Augusta, but for the state of Georgia to have an interstate from Augusta to Macon to Columbus? It's the one road missing from the interstate system in Georgia. That would be a major improvement for the state.

RAVES TO WESTOBOU, Arts in the Heart and the latest partial marathon events. I attended the Arts in the Heart and Westobou, rain or shine. I sure hope downtown will host more such events.

A HUGE RAVE to the construction workers at MCG who were wearing pink breast cancer awareness T-shirts. Good job. Only a man who is secure in his manhood can be bold enough to wear a pink shirt.

THIS IS A RANT about food stamps. My wife and I are in our 70s. Our only income is Social Security. We pay rent, car payment, electricity, etc., but we do not have the Internet or a computer. I applied for food stamps the other day, and they told me I would receive about $14 a month. So I said goodbye and walked out.

omnomnom
omnomnom 11/06/09 - 07:09 am
last ranter, at least you're

last ranter, at least you're winning from this social security ponzi scheme. I'm probably not gonna see one thin dime when my turn to retire comes 'round.

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 11/06/09 - 07:35 am
I know someone that was laid

I know someone that was laid off , drawing un-employment compensation ... Husband , wife, and 3 kids ... They receive $780 Food stamps a month ! Again i know an elderly couple on Social Security that only receives $ 14 a month food stamps ... Hello ? My wife and I could live off $780 a month and eat like kings !!!!! Have a good day everyone ... Gov't hard at work huh ?

atsugua13
atsugua13 11/06/09 - 07:50 am
yeah send a note home with

yeah send a note home with student......LOL See how far that gets you.

NANF
NANF 11/06/09 - 07:54 am
You were offered 14.00 ? My

You were offered 14.00 ? My friend, a sr. citz and his wife were offered only 12.00. They have only small Social Sec. checks to live on and no help from any agency. People down the road from them get food stamps for themselves and 5 family members , plus 150.00 more for EACH person that has moved in with them. None of the 3 extras are even family. All are in their 20s and 30s and more than able to do some sort of job somewhere.
Where's the justice.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 11/06/09 - 08:03 am
exactly.. where is the

exactly.. where is the justice and the logic!!.. I don't mind my hard working tax deductions to go to an elderly couple.. but these lazy butts that don't do crap!!.. that makes my blood boil!!

Martinez
Martinez 11/06/09 - 08:24 am
What ever happened to the two

What ever happened to the two year cap on welfare benefits? I can understand helping families get on their feet for a short period of time, maybe even up to two years if they are truly helping themselves at the same time. It's time to require personal accountability! I work hard to barely afford medical care, food, school lunches, before and after care, housing etc. Point being, I do work for it!!!

Vera Donavon
Vera Donavon 11/06/09 - 08:37 am
Well, apparently your SSI

Well, apparently your SSI checks are way up there, for you to get offered that low amount of food stamps. Good morning. What a beautiful day it is..

tired of the crap
tired of the crap 11/06/09 - 08:40 am
my husband was on disability

my husband was on disability and i applied for mine was turned down , went down for food stamps was told did not qualify . no children,not miniorty so just deal with it . if not for family would not have made it today. still trying to repay after six years. yet all of these people with all of these kids ,what happen to capping on how many a person can have by medicaid?

tired of the crap
tired of the crap 11/06/09 - 08:40 am
my husband was on disability

Mike_Futrell
Mike_Futrell 11/06/09 - 09:02 am
When my wife and I were in

When my wife and I were in college, we tried to apply for food stamps. We were told, that because we were full-time college students, we would also have to be working 20 hours or more a week, to qualify. But, if we dropped out of school and sat around and did nothing, then we would qualify.

DreamBig
DreamBig 11/06/09 - 09:10 am
To the person who

To the person who wrote...."WHY ARE WE starting to see so many ads, signs, etc. in Spanish? I even see ads requiring bilingual employees. Is this not America? Let's make English our official language. I've stopped dining where the menus are in Spanish and make it a point to tell them why I am leaving" That's because you're a bigot...

willienelson
willienelson 11/06/09 - 09:27 am
tired, don't worry. If cap &

tired, don't worry. If cap & trade lagislation passes we will all qualify.

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/06/09 - 09:29 am
On this date in 1986, U.S.

On this date in 1986, U.S. President Ronald Reagan signed the landmark immigration reform bill, the first U.S. immigration law authorizing penalties for employers who hire illegal aliens.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 11/06/09 - 09:35 am
dear last ranter, i feel

dear last ranter, i feel sorry for you, it is a shame that you and your wife worked hard all of you life and when you need a hand up...NOT A HAND OUT!!!! you are offered a pittance...the irony in your situation if you didn't marry your wife, refused to work and had 5 kids you would receive sooooooo much welfare you wouldn't know what to do....i wish you the best and hope everything works out it's a shame that the system rewards those who choose personal irresponsibility as opposed to you and others who spent your lives being responsible, working and paying your way...i say augusta, gerogia and the USA needs to get out of the welfare business except for the eldrely(who worked all their lives), the TRULY DISABLED(not "my child has asthma, add/adhd)......

Irish
Irish 11/06/09 - 10:30 am
Isn't it funny how the

Isn't it funny how the "REDISTRIBUTION' of wealth only goes to those who don't earn it....this is the great society the democrats envisioned under Lyndon Johnson and it will only grow under the current administration.....if you want to see our "great society" all you have to do is wander through the downtown section of augusta( or any city for that matter)...that's your welfare dollars at work....or watch the cash 3 cash 4 lottery lines every day......scratch off tickets littering the front lawns...great society indeed..

brownskin30434
brownskin30434 11/06/09 - 10:34 am
There are more than just

There are more than just minorities on the food stamp train. The sad thing is that the individuals who truly need this assistance (the elderly of all races) only get a mere pittance. The amount they are giving seniors hasn't changed that much in 20 years. My grandfather only got $13 a month worth of food stamps. I know a Middle-Eastern lady who owns a corner store. She gots food stamps and uses them to buy stuff for her store.

lostmymind
lostmymind 11/06/09 - 10:36 am
I guess ranter #3 never eats

I guess ranter #3 never eats at a Mexican resturant!

lostmymind
lostmymind 11/06/09 - 10:55 am
So I have been out of work

So I have been out of work for almost a year. Working odd jobs and getting unemployment. When that runs out, and I don't have a job by then, god forbid, I don't know how I'm gonna pay my house payment or car payment. If I do apply for food stamp benefits are people gonna look down on me? I had worked for this company for 12 years, and never been in this position in my life. I am not a minority btw. Looking for work, If anyone needs any website upkeep, or advertising graphics for web or print ads let me know....will work for money!!!

soldout
soldout 11/06/09 - 11:07 am
lostmymind, I will pray for

lostmymind, I will pray for you to get a job. God knows where all the jobs are and through the Holy Spirit can show them to you. If you are a Christian the spirit within you knows all things and will lead you into all truth and that includes finding a job. May God bless you with an excellent job.

disssman
disssman 11/06/09 - 11:58 am
Lostmymind, have you

Lostmymind, have you considered the military? If you are under age 41 I think they will still take you. It appears the military is the last hope for many in the country with the same dilema you are facing. Good luck brotherand try to hang in till something opens up.

corgimom
corgimom 11/06/09 - 12:06 pm
Lost, you need to get ready

Lost, you need to get ready to move. Unemployment in the US is still rising, this isn't over. There is no job growth in the CSRA, it's been declining for years. Go anywhere you can find a job. Call Social Services TODAY to see if you qualify.

smec29
smec29 11/06/09 - 12:33 pm
There should be a cap and

There should be a cap and there should also be investigations when they are told someone is screwing the system. I have 2 children living with me (without support) while their mother still rakes in 500 a month in food stamps. And has the state paying her to go to school and for her school. She has internet, cable, cell phones, cars, parties all the time...Where is the justice? This system is broke and no one will lift a finger to fix it!

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 11/06/09 - 01:20 pm
smec29, if you are the

smec29, if you are the custodial parent, go to court and ask for child support.

change display name
change display name 11/06/09 - 01:47 pm
I don't think Social Security

I don't think Social Security was meant to be the lone source of income for retirees. My father gets SS, a retirement from the business he worked for, and has a job to keep him busy. At 70, I think that's pretty good. People who are planning on living off of SS aren't all that bright.

smec29
smec29 11/06/09 - 01:50 pm
Brenda, I'd love to! But, I

Brenda, I'd love to! But, I dont have thousands of dollars sitting in the bank to pay a lawyer to go to court. I've called several agencies, received consultations, there is no help for us without hiring a lawyer. At the present time we live paycheck to paycheck, no extra to put up.

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 11/06/09 - 02:19 pm
Change display name, how

Change display name, how wonderful for your father! You are lucky he is blessed with health good enough to allow him to hold a job. Now what do you suggest to those who are not? Surely you wouldn't tell them they are not bright enough to live.

Reality
Reality 11/06/09 - 02:29 pm
Did the Wachovia Bank on

Did the Wachovia Bank on Wheeler Rd and Egerton rd just get robbed???

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/06/09 - 02:38 pm
Reality - Yes, suspect

Reality - Yes, suspect dropped the money bag with the dye pack in the First Bank parking lot next door. Black male, dark complexion, low haircut wearing a plaid shirt who fled on foot and was last seen running behind the theater towards the retention pond. RCSO has recovered the red money.There may be another robber involved (possibly getaway car driver) who is black, 5'9"-6' tall, bald head, clean shaven wearing a black jacket.

Reality
Reality 11/06/09 - 02:47 pm
Too bad the thugs weren't

Too bad the thugs weren't shot while robbing the bank....Hope no one at the bank was hurt.

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/06/09 - 02:51 pm
I was away from the scanner

I was away from the scanner when it happened (the call to RCSO came in at 12:50pm) so I'm missing some of the info. However, I have heard no reports of any injuries or what kind, if any. of weapon(s) were used.