Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

WHAT A SHAME that Augusta is losing Fort Discovery. As a former employee, I had the opportunity of seeing thousands of excited, bright-eyed children learning that science can be fun to learn. It's too bad that Augusta can spend millions of dollars repairing rundown theaters and let the few attractions left leave, probably forever.

AS I SIT AND WONDER why the Augusta judicial system seems not to care about the welfare of women, I say keep the man who stalks, beats and intimidates his wife in jail with no bond. The judges who have these so-called "bond hearings" need to realize this guy is crazy.

I CANNOT BELIEVE that our local paper would stoop to the level of placing not just an article but a huge one on the front page of the Faith section about a pagan festival. Paganism is not a faith; it is a lack of faith. One who has faith in God would not worship the things of nature and darkness but would worship the God of truth and light.

PAGANS ARE JUST as entitled to their beliefs as anyone else. Did you critics even read the newspaper article? Most pagans believe the divine is in nature and so nature should be honored and respected. Pagans believe all are responsible for their own actions and must be willing to accept the consequences of those actions. Pagans have respect for other beliefs.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY ridiculous how many people think it is OK to just throw their trash on the side of the road. Every week I go out and pick up the trash in my neighborhood. There are fines for littering.

THERE IS A SECURITY guard out at Fort Gordon who has on many days brought a smile to my face when I did not feel like going to work. In the rain, the heat, the cold, he always has a smile on his face, and it is a joy to watch him work. I do not know his name, but the kids call him picture man, my husband calls him chief, and me, I call him a blessing.

THIS IS A RANT to all the morons who keep sending in rants squabbling over the North and the South. The last time I checked, we all lived together in North America, in the United States. The Civil War happened nearly 150 years ago. Nobody who lived then is still alive. It's high time people got over it and starting worrying about the world we live in today.

THIS IS A RANT for the person that called in the other day about the lights at Augusta Mall needing to be synchronized. It's not the lights that need to be synchronized; it's the people's brains.

THE AUGUSTA COMMISSION has neglected many Richmond County crime-ridden neighborhoods because of their focus on a pie-in-the-sky trade, exhibit and event center. Vote all of them out!

AhsanMinnik
AhsanMinnik 10/11/09 - 04:59 am
Ranter #7 - It's nice to see

Ranter #7 - It's nice to see that you are willing to do you part to keep the North-South ranting from continuing. LOL G'mornin, all y'all. Have a safe Sabbath.

the kid
the kid 10/11/09 - 05:32 am
the SOUTH rocks

the SOUTH rocks

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 10/11/09 - 07:33 am
And then there is the

And then there is the security guard at Ft Gordon who strikes up conversations with people she knows, holding up the line for up to 5 minutes at a time.

andywarhol
andywarhol 10/11/09 - 07:43 am
I like "Picture Guy." My

I like "Picture Guy." My wife and I enjoyed seeing him yesterday on the way to DDEAMC. I cannot stand the people that think the guards are an information booth, as well as the guards that want to stand and talk to the pretty girl in the car in front of me. Then there is the one guy that says, "Welcome to Fote Goden." My wife speaks English as a second language and way better at it than many people born here.

andywarhol
andywarhol 10/11/09 - 07:46 am
I agree it's a shame to lose

I agree it's a shame to lose Fort Discovery. How many millions have been spent and millions more on the troubled neighborhoods? Yet we'll allow a prominent feature on the river walk to disappear.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 10/11/09 - 07:57 am
So since we all are North

So since we all are North Americans then I guess EVERYBODY are Northerners!

xanadu
xanadu 10/11/09 - 07:59 am
hopefully the supervisor of

hopefully the supervisor of the SGs at FG will read these comments about the ones who hold up the progression of the line by chatting and flirting and whatever else it is they have to stand there and do other than just look at an ID and wave you through or over to the stop point. Perhaps they'll have a special meeting to discuss proper gate protocol, etc etc etc.

xanadu
xanadu 10/11/09 - 08:03 am
ot: there you go, that

ot: there you go, that solves that little debate!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 10/11/09 - 08:05 am
And Georgia would be in the

And Georgia would be in the southern part of the NORTH...lol.

xanadu
xanadu 10/11/09 - 08:26 am
ot: it's all good!

ot: it's all good!

atsugua13
atsugua13 10/11/09 - 09:11 am

Thank you my two suv driving people who pulled out of Willis Foreman road Thursday a.m. at 7:00 in front of my loaded school bus. Thank you for not killing us all..The stop sign you had was just a suggestion I suppose

DEVGRU
DEVGRU 10/11/09 - 09:18 am
There is a judge who is

There is a judge who is concerned about the welfare of women. His name is Blanchard. He even takes it to the extreme, by letting a woman who abused her 11 children serve her sentence on weekends while the father sits in prison for 13 years. In Judge Blanchard's case it is called bias. At least he doesn't handle domestic cases anymore.

disssman
disssman 10/11/09 - 09:35 am
With no parking available, I

With no parking available, I often wondered how long Fort Discovery would last downtown. When schools take students there, the busses are lined (illegally parked) up along Reynolds for blocks. Another indicator it wasn't going to be long, was the lack of repairs for the exhibits.

TroubIe
TroubIe 10/11/09 - 09:38 am
morning all

morning all

andywarhol
andywarhol 10/11/09 - 10:39 am
I also noticed the lack of

I also noticed the lack of repairs and upkeep of the exhibits.

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/11/09 - 11:03 am
Y'all should realize it's not

Y'all should realize it's not good to criticize people who can hold you up for hours at the gates. I'd rather wait 5 mins while they socialize than spend 20 minutes waiting for every car to be inspected because the security officer is [filtered word].

andywarhol
andywarhol 10/11/09 - 11:49 am
This happened to a friend of

This happened to a friend of mine in Augusta last night: "Let me tell you all what happened... I took my son and nephew(both black) and their friend W___(white)... When we were leaving the theater W___ was extremely sleepy(he slept through most of Toy Story 2)... He was doing the normal sleepy child walk... The theater manager and a Sheriff dDeputy stopped us and asked me what was wrong with w___.... I told them that nothing was wrong and that he was just a really sleepy child... The theater manager tells me , "No! That's not a sleepy child... He has something medically wrong him!" Then she asks me what I "fed him". The Sheriff deputy pulls my son and my nephew away from me and starts to question them about what was going on... Long story short, they wouldn't let us leave for about 30 minutes... This is absolutely INSANE!!!! I have taken other people's childern(from ALL races) to the movies, playground, Chuck E Cheese before and NEVER been stopped or questioned... My son and nephew were also very sleepy but they never even bothered to question if they were suffering from a "medical condition".... First thing Monday morning, this WILL be dealt with!"

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 10/11/09 - 11:49 am
Please, if you have a dog

Please, if you have a dog that spends time outdoors, keep it somewhere it can't reach the neighbors' fences. Please have a warning sign so at least newcomers know there is a dog. Your sweet, loving, dog is also territorial and protective. He might view an innocent child next door as a threat and attack him or her. It just happened again Saturday, this time to a child of a dear couple I am acquainted with. Two children were talking to each other over a fence between them and the other child's dog attacked the newcomer, biting her in the face, causing twenty stitches and a fever. Please protect both people and dogs by keeping dogs properly restrained and trained.

andywarhol
andywarhol 10/11/09 - 11:50 am
BTW, that is a half-[filtered word]ed

BTW, that is a half-[filtered word]ed security inspection in the first place. Anyone wanting to sneak something on base or commit a crime would have no problem.

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/11/09 - 11:52 am
Andy: Tell that to the many

Andy: Tell that to the many contractors busted at those gates trying to enter with drugs/weapons in vehicle and banned for life. A couple have even been charged in Federal Court.

andywarhol
andywarhol 10/11/09 - 11:56 am
They are idiots, I'm talking

They are idiots, I'm talking about people truly wanting to cause harm on the base. Don't fool yourself into thinking it is even close to a decent inspection. I've seen real inspections done downrange and you cannot get through if you have residue from transporting weapons weeks earlier. What we have is a deterrence and that's all it is. If someone were to test the process they'd find many holes.

andywarhol
andywarhol 10/11/09 - 12:09 pm
People still get crap through

People still get crap through the airport security. Are you telling me Fort Gordon does a more thorough job than the Airports? They've never opened any compartments other than my glove box. I've never had mirrors check under or over my vehicle. I've had boxes in my trunk never to be opened. They've never checked my spare tire compartment. Never looked inside my air cleaner. Should I go on? I don't mind being inconvenienced if it is actually going to be done right, but to do it just for show is ridiculous. I remember when a child was missing and all they did was stop to look in my back seat. Never even considered anywhere else.

uptheseventhplanet
uptheseventhplanet 10/11/09 - 12:12 pm
If security guards were to

If security guards were to cause long delays in traffic through the Fort Gordon gate because they were "[filtered word]" about being instructed in how to properly perform their duties perhaps their supervisor should monitor their perfomance for a half hour or so after the instruction. Security guards at such facilities as SRS sometimes learn quite suddenly that such jobs are easier to lose than to get.

andywarhol
andywarhol 10/11/09 - 12:14 pm
I don't like to be delayed or

I don't like to be delayed or to cause anyone their job, but like they say. It is what it is.

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 10/11/09 - 12:21 pm
I have to go on post enough

I have to go on post enough that I'm recognized by the security at the gate. I'm still pulled into inspection regularly. Andy, I mean no disrespect, but if you think those inspections can be done better, have you contacted anyone who can affect those changes?

AhsanMinnik
AhsanMinnik 10/11/09 - 12:29 pm
New flash! Dogs can bite!

New flash! Dogs can bite! Please let your friends and children know! "Remember, just because you are clinically paranoid doesn't mean they are NOT out to get you." Does anybody know what Jacko's familiy did with his "protective bubble" that he lived in for a while? I think I might have a buyer for it.......

andywarhol
andywarhol 10/11/09 - 12:29 pm
I'm making a comment and

I'm making a comment and could care less if they do an inspection or not. Therefore I don't see a need to contact them. My point is that I understand it is a deterrence and will stop people that lack common sense. What I'm referring to is probably more than necessary for Fort Gordon. I'm sure they are aware that the current inspections wouldn't be adequate in an area requiring increased security. I'm just confused at what checking a trunk, glovebox, license and registration is supposed to stop. I'm not an expert, but I have a small shred of common sense.

andywarhol
andywarhol 10/11/09 - 12:30 pm
They can keep going through

They can keep going through the motions for all I care.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 10/11/09 - 12:43 pm
andy, I understand your

andy, I understand your point, but to do a complete inspection on every vehicle you would have to leave for work yesterday to be there tomorrow.

andywarhol
andywarhol 10/11/09 - 12:47 pm
I realize that, and that was

I realize that, and that was my point in saying it is too much for the level of security we need here, but what is the point of even doing one if it isn't really effective? So we've caught a couple boneheads, but that isn't enough to justify what we have now. The most they'll really catch is a person without a valid driver's license or car insurance. Maybe the guy that forgot his gun or a beer bottle in the car.