Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

THIS IS IN RESPONSE to the crossing guard statement. Crossing guards are probably the lowest-paid city employees. When the city and the county consolidated, we lost more than half our sick days. It's not a high-paying job, and it's not a lot of hours. But we're out there when it's 20-degree weather or 90-degree weather. We need to be appreciated a lot more.

THIRTY YEARS AGO, Jimmy Carter squandered his golden opportunity. Now poor old Jimmy Carter is still trying to make himself significant. This time he's stirring the cauldron of racial discord. Carter's incompetence as president made Georgians the butt of jokes nationwide. Having a president from your state is only good if he's good.

PERHAPS IF MR. WILSON had said, "Sir, I believe you do not tell the truth," that would be acceptable, because what he said was just perhaps a bit rude, but it was the truth.

THIS IS A RANT to the person that stated that the people of South Carolina do not know how to elect someone who is not stupid. Metaphorically speaking, that is like a skunk telling a possum that its breath stinks when you consider the elected officials from Georgia. That list includes but is not limited to Ed McIntyre, Charles Walker, Marion Williams, Cynthia McKinney and Jimmy Carter. And please don't forget that in the last presidential election Richmond County went for Obama.

EVEN WHILE the economy continues to kill all of us, government continues to spend and waste like crazy. Now the FAA is blowing $1 million to add 300 feet to the Thomson airport. The story mentions a "hangar access road," which can't be very long or wide. So add another 100 feet to the runway for estimating purposes and it comes out 400 feet of paving at a cost of $1 million. Is that $2,500 per foot? As usual, government thinks it's heaven and paves with gold.

WHILE THE POLICE are hopefully cracking down on the cars violating the noise ordinance on Glenn Hills Drive, could they slow down the speeders going 10-15 miles over the speed limit, too? That includes school buses, school safety officers and regular vehicles. If you go the speed limit, you get tailgated the whole way.

FURLOUGH MEANS "a leave of absence from duty." For Richmond County to require teachers to work on what they call "furlough" is shameful. If you aren't going to pay them, then they shouldn't have to work. Close the schools. Then someone will get a strong message.

AhsanMinnik
AhsanMinnik 09/22/09 - 01:18 am
A Rant to robbers. Somebody

A Rant to robbers. Somebody just got held up at gunpoint at the Checker's on Walton Way. Suspects are two black males. One of them is 6'2" about 185lbs dressed in all black clothing, a black hat with a "B" on it and white shoes. He was also brandishing a silver and black handgun. (at least he is color-coordinated). The other one is 5'8" approx 145lbs wearing a black shirt, blue denim shorts and black shoes. G'mornin CSRA! Another typical start to the day.

TroubIe
TroubIe 09/22/09 - 05:01 am
morning all

morning all

ispy4u
ispy4u 09/22/09 - 05:32 am
You may want to apply at the

You may want to apply at the Chronicle for a reporter job. Thank you President Obama for keeping us safe from Terrorist attacks on American soil, since you have been in office.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/22/09 - 05:40 am
That's because Obama has been

That's because Obama has been endorsed by the terrorists!!

TroubIe
TroubIe 09/22/09 - 05:43 am
lmao, thanks for the laugh

lmao, thanks for the laugh ispy...

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 09/22/09 - 05:53 am
I agree with the last rant

I agree with the last rant about the furloughs..

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 09/22/09 - 06:59 am
If you don't like your job

If you don't like your job then find another one. Simple as that.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 09/22/09 - 07:01 am
muslims hate America,hussein

muslims hate America,hussein is muslim.ANY questions?

bettyboop
bettyboop 09/22/09 - 07:08 am

Thank you GOD for keeping our great Country safe and continue to waken the sheeple from the mindnumbing rhetoric spewing from the mouth of the liar in the White House........Amen.

R2
R2 09/22/09 - 07:15 am
Some muslims are Americans

Some muslims are Americans genius.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/22/09 - 07:24 am
I see the anal insertion of

I see the anal insertion of cranial appendages continues!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 09/22/09 - 07:27 am
R2 so you are saying that

R2 so you are saying that there aren't any Americans that hate America? What about all these idiots in power that want to change it and say others are unAmerican because they don't want the Constitution to be disregarded?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 09/22/09 - 07:31 am
Ignore it OT, it'll go away!

Ignore it OT, it'll go away!

valleygrad99
valleygrad99 09/22/09 - 07:33 am
I'd rather type here than

I'd rather type here than watch tv any day. You guys are funny, yet fantastic. I wanna play too. Obama '12, Hillary '16 &'20. Let's take this country back. Oh yeah, out with Saxby!

AhsanMinnik
AhsanMinnik 09/22/09 - 07:36 am
lol valley - you got your bat

lol valley - you got your bat with chains ready for next time you lose a UFC bet?

AhsanMinnik
AhsanMinnik 09/22/09 - 07:40 am
I just finished reading a

I just finished reading a piece on the results of the Cash For Clunkers program.

It seems C4C has been deemed a multi-level failure. It added a lot of debt into an already debt heavy and cash strapped segment of society. It also will not result in fuel savings as the buyers surveyed indicated they would probably almost double their miles driven for the next 2 years. On the other side of the ledger, C4C took $2.8 billion from the general roster of 300 million citizens and handed it tax-free to a small group of 700,000 citizens. So it appears it was a success as a component of the redistribution of wealth part of the administration's social engineering agenda.

donnymack
donnymack 09/22/09 - 07:54 am
How well the Republican Party

How well the Republican Party loves America,(Democrats included). Why on days of National remberance do I not see the flag of our Great Nation flying on 99.99% of peoples homes. It is to me a sin to claim to be patriotic and evidently ashamed to show it. I would be curious to know how many people even posess an American flag. It is such a small way of showing support to our troops and those who have served in the past. When I put my Flag out it makes me feel proud and makes me remember old Army buddies my Dad and sometimes makes me think about what the Founding Fathers might have gone through. Don't be afraid to display the Emblem of our Great Country. Even though I hated everything that liar Bush stood for I still flew Old Glory.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 09/22/09 - 08:04 am
My flag flies on a 20 foot

My flag flies on a 20 foot pole in front of my house every day. When I was growing up there was a Cuban immigrant living across the street from us. I watched as he would raise the US flag on his flagpole EVERY day and retire it EVERY evening. If he was out of town (which was rare) he would have someone else do it for him. He was my inspiration to do the same in my own home.

truthisstillhere
truthisstillhere 09/22/09 - 08:29 am
ot....i think it would be

ot....i think it would be great if everyone had a flag flying, but only if they intend to take care of it and treat it properly.....there are those who put it out and then never think of it again, it becomes dirty, faded, and ragged.....imho that is not respectful of our nation's flag......i would rather they not fly one if they don't intend to do it correctly.....and once a flag has served its duty and it is time to be retired, it should be done properly, not just thrown away in the trash or dropped on a fire.....if people do not know how to properly retire the us flag then please contact your local boy scout group.....they will take it and conduct the proper ceremony, a ceremony the flag of our nation deserves

AhsanMinnik
AhsanMinnik 09/22/09 - 08:32 am

Thank you gentlemen for the last few posts. donnymack - this is a rare subject of agreement for us. I display both Old Glory and the POW/MIA flag at my residence. Any American Legion or VFW post in the area will also accept flags for honorable retirement.

truthisstillhere
truthisstillhere 09/22/09 - 09:03 am
wow....ranter #6......you

wow....ranter #6......you have buses that speed..... where??.....everytime i get behind a bus it is doing at least 20mph below the speed limit.....35 in a 55, and you can never get around them, and no they are not making stops......i have to wonder if the buses are in such bad mechanical shape they are incapable of doing the speed limit, or if the drivers are just incapable of driving them......if the drivers can't keep any closer to the speed limits than that and safely handle the bus then they don't need to be driving them.

soldout
soldout 09/22/09 - 09:16 am
before taking a flu shot you

before taking a flu shot you might want to check out drtenpenny.com CDC says only about 1600 flu deaths a year. May not be worth the risks. Information has no side effects.

justa_driver
justa_driver 09/22/09 - 09:37 am
so "truth"...your time is

so "truth"...your time is more important than the safety of the children on the bus? the legal speed limit for school buses on route is 40mph...you know what is said about making assumptions....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/22/09 - 09:40 am
I have just seen a news

I have just seen a news broadcast about the Bank Of America in Gaffney, SC who removed the American Flag that were placed in honor of an American solider killed by a bomb. What has happened to this once great nation. I have no words that I can say to express how I feel right now. The American flag has been displayed at my driveway for over 30 years and will continue to fly as long as I live.

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 09/22/09 - 09:47 am
Some of my greatest childhood

Some of my greatest childhood memories are of the Flag Retirement Ceremony conducted by the American Legion. To display the flag correctly is to honor our fallen heros. To display it incorrectly is to insult the same. My new granddaughter is arriving within the hour... LIFE IS GREAT!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/22/09 - 09:48 am
Nobody but Nobody has the

Nobody but Nobody has the right to remove our American Flag from any inch of soil that is in the United States of America. Those that would do this is even lower than any criminal of any crime. I am so [filtered word] I shouldn't even post.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 09/22/09 - 09:52 am
If you're [filtered word], don't post!

If you're [filtered word], don't post! Now there is a great suggestion (if I ever heard one!).

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 09/22/09 - 09:53 am
(I'm singing in the Rain).

(I'm singing in the Rain). "I like Socialism, I like Music, I like My Girl, who could ask for anything more?"

MrAlwaysRight
MrAlwaysRight 09/22/09 - 09:55 am
Niko: (10.52) That is my new

Niko: (10.52) That is my new guideline. It is indeed a great suggestion, don't you wish everyone would abide by that simple rule?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/22/09 - 09:57 am
To you RACIST (OF ANY COLOR),

To you RACIST (OF ANY COLOR), I have seen the blood of many of my buddies of all color and dam if they didn't all bleed one color...Red. They bleed that blood for that flag. A lot of you have lost that respect and continue to live with hate and race issue and never look at the real picture. I really feel sorry for you.