Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

1,200 stimulus jobs remain at SRS

AIKEN --- If you applied but haven't heard back on one of the many open stimulus jobs at Savannah River Site, officials say you shouldn't give up hope yet.

"They're still in the game," said Paivi Nettamo, a spokeswoman for the Savannah River Nuclear Solutions Recovery Act project. "... If you're in the database ... you will be considered."

Last month, job fairs were held in Aiken and Augusta, with crowds putting in applications for about 3,000 jobs being created by Recovery Act projects at SRS.

On Friday, SRS announced that it had hired its 1,000th new employee with the stimulus money for environmental cleanup at the site -- Frankie Hutto, of Williston, S.C., an experienced truck driver and heavy equipment operator.

"I had been out of work for two months, and at age 53 I was worried about not being offered a job at the site," he said in an SRS news release. "But it worked out great, and I'm pleased to be here."

Ms. Nettamo said about 800 site employees also have been retained for stimulus jobs. But that leaves about 1,200 jobs to be filled, she said.

"We're estimating the hiring will continue for another few months," she said, adding that peak staffing levels are projected for November.

Some administrative, project-control and accounting positions have been filled, she said.

"Initially, we brought in a lot of employees that we needed to have in place so that when the rest of the work force came in we had a structure to support the additional work force," she said.

SRNS has even entered into lease negotiations for more than 7,000 square feet of office space in Aiken County's Cooperative Research Center at the Savannah River Research Campus. County officials have said that SRNS, which provides management and operations support for SRS, needs the office space for workers it planned to hire with part of the $1.6 billion in federal stimulus money.

Ms. Nettamo said a wide range of jobs are still open, though no more job fairs are planned.

The Recovery Act project at SRS is scheduled to last until September 2011, Ms. Nettamo said, adding that most of the jobs created will last until then. Beyond that, she said, "The site is looking at new missions, so at that point in time there could be other positions available. ... These people will have the training and will be ready for the nuclear renaissance that the nation is experiencing already."

Reach Preston Sparks at (803) 648-1395, ext. 110, or preston.sparks@augustachronicle.com.

STILL WANT TO APPLY?

Applicants are still being accepted via the Web site www.srs.gov/recovery/employment. Savannah River Nuclear Solutions spokeswoman Paivi Nettamo said there's no deadline for submitting applications online.

wildman
wildman 08/24/09 - 04:33 am
this is the biggest joke

this is the biggest joke going!

justus4
justus4 08/24/09 - 04:46 am
There should be a minority

There should be a minority clause in those hiring because "we" know what is gonna happen. Unfair hiring practices resulting in few minorities being hired. It happens throughout federal government with little chance of being corrected without intervention. The most educated & skilled individual is probably not being hired, thus a uneducated & trained workforce. And the new hires are probably republicans lapping up benefits from federal dollars while screaming "socialism." Wow!

SCEagle Eye
SCEagle Eye 08/24/09 - 07:53 am
While unemployment in the

While unemployment in the area is high and it's good that some are benefiting from this "stimulus" money, it sure underscores that NUCLEAR SOCIALISM is alive and well around the Savannah River Site. After this money from China is all spent it's time to bring some reality to SRS contractors, who must now find private financiers for future SRS programs. The time of big-government hand-outs and subsidies for SRS is just about over.

jboy
jboy 08/24/09 - 08:27 am
Justus, SRS has plenty of

Justus, SRS has plenty of minorities of all descriptions.

sojourner
sojourner 08/24/09 - 08:45 am
Justus: You complain about

Justus: You complain about unfair hiring practices "resulting in few minorities being hired", yet a couple sentences later your complaint is that the "most educated and skilled" individuals are probably not being hired. So which one do you want? You're not going to get both. When you speak of minorities, you are most often *not* speaking of the "most educated and skilled" individuals. That's just a simple fact. If they were the most educated and skilled then they wouldn't be called minorities. Understand that's not a blanket statement saying ALL minorities are uneducated and unskilled, but more often than not it's not a case of them being the most educated and skilled. There are far too many positions filled in government today that are not the most educated and skilled for the job BECAUSE of all of this fuss about hiring women and minorities.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/24/09 - 09:54 am
Justus, you toad, just whom

Justus, you toad, just whom do you think "the most educated and skilled individual[s]" actually are in the CSRA? Clue: base you estimate on relative graduation rates from high school and college. As for "minorities", the CSRA is not far from being evenly split, black and white. Are you saying that not enough Asians and Hispanics are being hired? What a freakin' racist you are.

REDRIDER
REDRIDER 08/24/09 - 10:56 am
Affirmative Action is over.

Affirmative Action is over. This is 2009 Wake up! The President has even talked on this junk. I can not help what God Colored me or you. Lets get on with life. It is to short.

bettyboop
bettyboop 08/24/09 - 11:37 am
justus you set minorities

justus you set minorities back 50 years with your statements. You are a true blackneck.

mack69
mack69 08/24/09 - 12:18 pm
Requirements in minority

Requirements in minority hiring and promotions at SRS is exactly why there are many unqualified people filling important positions out there now. Anyone who thinks white people get special treatment out there doesn't know what they are talking about. BTW how did race come up from this article anyway?

blondietoo007
blondietoo007 08/24/09 - 12:24 pm
Race came up because this is

Race came up because this is Augusta and too many people here are narrow minded... say the sky is blue and the the debate here will start with - "it's a racial remark". Whatever.

myopinion001
myopinion001 08/24/09 - 01:04 pm
The only folks that they have

The only folks that they have hired are those that already took early packages and retired or have been previously fired for cause. There haven't been any new faces out there, just the old faces brought in by their friends. It only takes a phone call if you know someone, but submit your resume to any agency is just a waste of time. Even a bigger waste of time for the thousands that flocked to the job fairs. All smoke and mirrors, just a way for friends to get their friends some money since it is too hot to play golf. They all should be ashamed, but hey, it's SRS and they are afraid of people they don't know or will keep their secret that they really don't do anything out there with the exception of get a paycheck.

myopinion001
myopinion001 08/24/09 - 01:07 pm
The MOX project is just as

The MOX project is just as much a joke too, their HR team is the most rude, unprofessional group you would ever come in contact with. Unless you are white and pretty.

Bubba442
Bubba442 08/24/09 - 02:00 pm
Hey I need a job! My only

Hey I need a job! My only problem is that I pay taxes,and I'm an American citizen.Maybe if I had a work permit from India or Iran I could get on. Maybe if I was retired and had a steady income that would help too?Anyone have any more suggestions that would help me,or yourself?

Bubba442
Bubba442 08/24/09 - 02:05 pm
Support all Govt. spending!

Support all Govt. spending! Our grand children won't have to pay because what use to take 5yrs to figure out, is now done in 30 days or less,get it? In other words before we have to pay back this money will probably get in world war 3.

Bubba442
Bubba442 08/24/09 - 02:11 pm
Is a negative attitude a bad

Is a negative attitude a bad thing or a positive way of dealing with Augustas' local govt. and citizens?

sojourner
sojourner 08/24/09 - 02:21 pm
"myopinion001": Explain to me

"myopinion001": Explain to me what I'm doing with a job out there then? Because I'm neither retired, fired or an early-package taker... Nor did I know anyone out here who helped me get on. Neither did a former co-worker of mine who just accepted a job out here of his own doing who has the same status of not ever being connected to the place as I did. I went the same route anyone else is supposed to go. I went to a subcontractor's website, I submitted my resume, they found I was highly QUALIFIED, sent me through to SRS hiring and they asked me for an interview. I interviewed and got the job 3 weeks later. Again, because I was QUALIFIED for the job. Too many people are putting in resumes for jobs they aren't qualified for (and thus, slowing the process even more) because they think there are so many openings that it won't matter if they're qualified or not. It takes time. Government hiring is a slow enough process on its own, but try squeezing 2500 hirings through a system that was never meant to handle that volume in that short of a time and you're going to have to wait a while.

mack69
mack69 08/24/09 - 03:13 pm
How about a little cheese

How about a little cheese with all of that "wine"?

Bubba442
Bubba442 08/24/09 - 05:47 pm
My sojourner they gotta hire

My sojourner they gotta hire somebody and they do make mishires.

dwb619
dwb619 08/24/09 - 07:05 pm
Bubba442, you have to be a

Bubba442, you have to be a citizen. Baker Concrete, the first contractor on MOX, was all set to bring in their 100 per cent Mexican workforce, but were not allowed to use illegals. Was there, and I saw it.

Pu239
Pu239 08/24/09 - 07:37 pm
Wait a couple of days and

Wait a couple of days and Justus will post a rant that they only hire minorities so they can do all the "hot" work. His postings are as predictable as the script for a low budget horror movie....or anything Michael Moore is associated with.

Niko Mahs
Niko Mahs 08/25/09 - 01:59 pm

Thank you President Obama for the increased implant on this governmental teat that is the SRS!

corgimom
corgimom 08/25/09 - 04:43 pm
I wish to God that SRS would

I wish to God that SRS would hire Justus so that he'd be too busy working to post his daily spewing. Someone put in a word for him. Please.

Pu239
Pu239 08/25/09 - 10:19 pm
Niko, just how in tarnation

Niko, just how in tarnation did a red state ever get anything from "O"? An oversight? Baiting?