Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

A RANT TO the ranter saying a teacher shouldn't complain about not having air conditioning. She deserves it while she tries to teach your child. Don't try to make us feel sorry for you working in a cotton factory. Teachers should get the best of everything to help educate our future.

TO THE RANTER that said: "I bet you she wouldn't go back because a teacher's job is a pie job. She needs to quit griping and be grateful that she's got a job." Are you nuts? We need teachers. God bless our teachers!

THIS IS FOR all the people who come out to eat, receive excellent service, run us servers all around and then leave no tip. This is how we make a living, so if you do not have the money to tip please do not go out to eat.

HEADLINE: " Obama vows overhaul even without support." In other words, Obama vows to have his way even over the objections of the American people. That, friends, is as good a definition of tyranny as there is.

TO THE PEOPLE irrationally blaming the police for the rise in crime: We all know that Sheriff Ronnie Strength and his fine staff do great work, as evidenced by all those arrests of crooks along with drugs and weaponry. We need to assign his department more money so that he can use even more officers in his efforts to fight crime. You can't cut his budget and expect him to do more and more with it when there are more and more criminals popping up.

HOW ON EARTH can one Graniteville resident waste 85,000 gallons of water? That woman should be ashamed and charged the full price of that increased bill just to teach her to conserve.

I REALLY WISH there was no "cash for clunkers" program. It would be better to put in "cash for public transit" to increase and push the utilization of public transit for the greater good. Less fuel use all around, etc. Look at Atlanta's MARTA program. Several runs a day on most routes, fast service from the airport all the way up north into Chamblee, with hours running long enough to take people to work and back and out and about.

BOOT THE FOOLS out! First we hear that the economy was wrecked because folks could not afford the homes they bought, encouraged by government. Now we are encouraging folks that cannot afford a new car by giving cash for clunkers. Only fools don't learn from their mistakes.

I HAVE A RANT for the condition of Richmond County. Everywhere you look all you see is trash all over and weeds growing wild. What will it take to get people to put their trash where it belongs, and why can't our county commissioners do something to get it all cleaned up?

skyking1
skyking1 08/09/09 - 08:42 am
Wait staff need to freshen up

Wait staff need to freshen up on the definition of "TIP"! wAY TOO MANY BELIEVE IT IS A MANDATORY PART OF YOUR BILL!

prolifer
prolifer 08/09/09 - 08:49 am
I understand the if you can't

I understand the if you can't afford to tip, don't eat out thing, but if the server can't afford to be without a tip, find another job. The menu tells what a meal costs. I should be able to go to an establishment and pay what the list. That server knew what they were going to be paid when they took the job. Get an education and get out of the serving business or stop bit@#ing.

To the ranter about the sheriff's office, money is not the problem. If it was, the SO would stop allowing deputies to take cars home. Thats where the money goes. Don't believe me...stop by Bi-Lo, McDonalds, Girlfriend/family members houses, school functions etc. Its a hot mess. BTW, do you or I get to drive a car every year at not cost to us? Some of these deputies don't even have a dependable vehicle bc they depend on your and my tax dollars to provide them one. Also, travel on Gordon Hwy at about 0610 in the morning and see how fast the driver of the patrol car going toward Colunbia County goes. This guy runs red lights (especially at Barton Chapel Rd) and anything else he wants to do. BTW don't bother to mention me not reporting him, I know him and don't want to become his victim.

prolifer
prolifer 08/09/09 - 08:58 am
what they list at no cost to

what they list
at no cost to us
Columbia County...I would also agree that police officers should be paid more if they didn't have a free car and gas all year long. Ranter, figure it out. You pay $500 a month for a care note and $80 a month for gas. They don't pay anything to get to and from work. Now that you've figured it out, GO FIGURE!!!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 08/09/09 - 09:06 am
What's the car # prolifer?

What's the car # prolifer? Leave it here annonymously if you are afraid to report it. I know for a fact that people in the SO read these threads. I also know for a fact that at least some supervisors take it very seriously when their deputies break the traffic laws. Also there is nothing wrong with a take home car policy. The more visible the SO is the less crime in that area. That is the biggest reason for the take home policy.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 08/09/09 - 09:12 am
However..on behalf of the

However..on behalf of the servers. There are those who WILL NOT tip, I don't care if God is waiting on them..They are not gonna tip, and never had plans on tipping, and don't tip anywhere they go..Those are the ones, if not careful, a server is gonna chase them out to the parking lot and tell them off....I've seen it happen.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 08/09/09 - 09:18 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1v42gOZYwY>>>>Nammy this is JUST for you girlfriend. Enjoy.

bettyboop
bettyboop 08/09/09 - 09:25 am
Greetings and salutations

Greetings and salutations all....................now come on and fess up........ anyone here fall for the cash for clunkers hype?

AintNoThang
AintNoThang 08/09/09 - 09:39 am
What I feel bad about is the

What I feel bad about is the restaurant kitchen workers that never get tips. I mean if you get some really nice fried chicken or fish that is crispy on the outside and still juicy on the inside, shouldn't the big fat pimply middle aged menopausal single mother who cooked it for ya get some extra food money? I tip the chef at nice restaurants, but what about the average buffet deep-fry person?

Roeschen
Roeschen 08/09/09 - 09:46 am
I tip according to the

I tip according to the service I receive. When service is very good, I tip very well - sometimes up to 50% of my bill. I, too, worked as a waitress while in highschool and college. Of course, that was when manners were taught and we had the attitude the customer was always right. However, if service is not good, not only do I not tip, I get the name of the server, tell the manager why I am not leaving a tip and if the service was really bad and the manager seems to be clueless, I have called the district manager. In one case where a server refused to pull up his pants and tuck his shirt in, I called the owner of the restaurant and told him exactly why I would not be eating there again. This young man did not have a job the next day. This is a health issue.

AintNoThang
AintNoThang 08/09/09 - 09:46 am
I guess she found out, huh?

I guess she found out, huh?

mystery30815
mystery30815 08/09/09 - 09:49 am
I don't mind tipping %30 for

I don't mind tipping %30 for good service. However, I have found lately, good service is far and few between. I shouldn't have to ask for the same thing multiple times. I try not to allow kitchen mistakes take away from the servers tip, but sometimes it's difficult to know whose fault it is. For example, getting your meal before the appetizer. Did the server put it in late or did the kitchen forget it. Cold food. DId the server let it wait too long before getting out to me or did the kitchen not actually heat it or cook it properly.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 08/09/09 - 10:05 am
But Of course does not

But Of course does not matter...they have it all recorded..I deleted in because of the youtube I posted to YOU. Dufus!! BTW....did ya like it...huhhuh!!!! LOL!!

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 08/09/09 - 10:06 am
Some folks ain't the sharpest

Some folks ain't the sharpest tools in the shed..but, ok!! Gosh, let me delete something, because the AC will never even know it was there...bwhahahahahahaha

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 08/09/09 - 10:07 am
Hey! I know what. You folks

Hey! I know what. You folks posting websites for YouTube songs..why don't you exchange emails and do it there (which I'm sure some of you already have each others email addy)...Is that even ALLOWED AC??? One phone call, and I can find out..

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 08/09/09 - 10:08 am
LOOKY...{W00T}....roflmaool!!

LOOKY...{W00T}....roflmaool!!

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 08/09/09 - 10:39 am
"HOW ON EARTH can one

"HOW ON EARTH can one Graniteville resident waste 85,000 gallons of water?"
That works out to around 1.9 gallons per minute for 30 days. Easily reached with a running toilet, leaking faucet or hose left leaking out in the yard.
Try leaving a faucet on and dripping into a gallon container. Write down the time it takes to fill it, and multiply it out for a month.
You will be surprised.

skyking1
skyking1 08/09/09 - 11:26 am
How about filling up a

How about filling up a swimming pool?

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 08/09/09 - 11:34 am
As a former server, the only

As a former server, the only guests that I have judged were not based on appearance but rather, based on experience. I would remember who would tip well and who would not tip well. And frequently, the guest's perception of my service need not matter. I would commonly receive compliments of my service skills and those compliments would be accompanied with 25% tips as frequently as they would be accompanied 2% tips. The reality is that some people could only afford the menu price of the food and not the tip. I know this, because I was often told this by some of my favorite guests, whom I respected despite the unfavorable tips. But for the record, I have served in three large-type cities including Augusta, for two restaurant chains and the tips I received in Augusta were far below what I received in the other two cities. This resulted in me leaving the industry three years ago.

KSL
KSL 08/09/09 - 12:03 pm
How much does a wait person

How much does a wait person think they should make an hour over the amount the establishment pays them?

KSL
KSL 08/09/09 - 12:13 pm
Let's see. You work in an

Let's see. You work in an establishment where the average tab is $80. You have a 4 tables per hour over a 5 hour period. Pretty good hourly rate. No wonder a friend of ours who was an architect opted to be a waiter in a high end Atlanta restaurant.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 08/09/09 - 12:16 pm
And now...the two minute

And now...the two minute rundown...Ranter #1 says planting the seeds of knowledge is not your run of the mill job.....Ranter #2 says...RUNTS?... we need teachers......#3 says for goodness sake cheapskates,if you're going be a cheap date, stay home and fix your own plates...Ranter #4 says Obama is lighting the fires and tuning his lyre....#5 says you can't fight much crime with a shoestring....#6 says he's found the source of the Nile.....in Graniteville SC....Lucky #7 thinks $3 billion just might put APT on par with MARTA......#8 has discovered the stroke of genius behind big government.....And finally....Ranter #9 offers a verse from, "Who's Garden City was this?"..... I don't write 'em folks, I just run 'em down....Y'all please remember to have a great day and be blessed.

KSL
KSL 08/09/09 - 12:23 pm
Now, you work in an

Now, you work in an establishment where the average tab is $20 per table. Less in tips, but still don't gripe. After all, that's where you have chosen to work.

KSL
KSL 08/09/09 - 12:27 pm
You can go spend 5 years

You can go spend 5 years getting a degree in architecture.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 08/09/09 - 12:46 pm
Oh..I'm glad I am reminded to

Oh..I'm glad I am reminded to have a good day...because it slipped my mind...

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 08/09/09 - 12:47 pm
I like the witty " I don't

I like the witty " I don't write em folks, I just run em down" Seriously. I really DO like it.

KSL
KSL 08/09/09 - 12:48 pm
LYNNda, you and your cronie

LYNNda, you and your cronie Rose post about people changing names. You post about it??? Care to explain why you do so, so often out of just boredom, I suppose. How many times in the last 48 hours? You have yourself been banned and had to find a way back on.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 08/09/09 - 01:17 pm
Do NOT blame the police for

Do NOT blame the police for the rise in crime, blame the Sorry Mothers and Fathers, raising these BRATS. Have you seen who is perpetuating the crimes? 14, 15, 16 17, 18 yos. With all these brats doing crime, we should put them out cleaning up our streets of litter. Augusta would at least be the CLEANEST County in the whole USA. At least then Augusta would be known for something positive and be at the top of the list. Our teachers (along with their parents) are keeping most of our students on the bottom of lists.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 08/09/09 - 01:47 pm
I wish the Augusta Chronicle

I wish the Augusta Chronicle would remove the article in the MOST DISCUSSED about the man with a horse. Besides I would rather he have sex with a horse than a CHILD. Maybe all sex offenders should follow in his shoes and leave our kids alone.

AintNoThang
AintNoThang 08/09/09 - 02:35 pm
Opie2 - If that story bothers

Opie2 - If that story bothers you so much, perhaps you should find a more cooperative mare. Apparently, as evidenced by it's longevity on the "Top-10 List", many others find it interesting.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 08/09/09 - 03:47 pm
ANT, dont go out of my race,

ANT, dont go out of my race, human included. Imagine young ones reading these headlines and asking mom/pop how do you have sex with a horse, why?

Prayer rally held outside Planned Parenthood

With the U.S. Senate scheduled to vote Monday on a bill to strip Planned Parenthood of taxpayer funding, more than 100 residents gathered Sunday for a prayer rally in front of the organization's ...