Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

A RANT TO the ranter saying a teacher shouldn't complain about not having air conditioning. She deserves it while she tries to teach your child. Don't try to make us feel sorry for you working in a cotton factory. Teachers should get the best of everything to help educate our future.

TO THE RANTER that said: "I bet you she wouldn't go back because a teacher's job is a pie job. She needs to quit griping and be grateful that she's got a job." Are you nuts? We need teachers. God bless our teachers!

THIS IS FOR all the people who come out to eat, receive excellent service, run us servers all around and then leave no tip. This is how we make a living, so if you do not have the money to tip please do not go out to eat.

HEADLINE: " Obama vows overhaul even without support." In other words, Obama vows to have his way even over the objections of the American people. That, friends, is as good a definition of tyranny as there is.

TO THE PEOPLE irrationally blaming the police for the rise in crime: We all know that Sheriff Ronnie Strength and his fine staff do great work, as evidenced by all those arrests of crooks along with drugs and weaponry. We need to assign his department more money so that he can use even more officers in his efforts to fight crime. You can't cut his budget and expect him to do more and more with it when there are more and more criminals popping up.

HOW ON EARTH can one Graniteville resident waste 85,000 gallons of water? That woman should be ashamed and charged the full price of that increased bill just to teach her to conserve.

I REALLY WISH there was no "cash for clunkers" program. It would be better to put in "cash for public transit" to increase and push the utilization of public transit for the greater good. Less fuel use all around, etc. Look at Atlanta's MARTA program. Several runs a day on most routes, fast service from the airport all the way up north into Chamblee, with hours running long enough to take people to work and back and out and about.

BOOT THE FOOLS out! First we hear that the economy was wrecked because folks could not afford the homes they bought, encouraged by government. Now we are encouraging folks that cannot afford a new car by giving cash for clunkers. Only fools don't learn from their mistakes.

I HAVE A RANT for the condition of Richmond County. Everywhere you look all you see is trash all over and weeds growing wild. What will it take to get people to put their trash where it belongs, and why can't our county commissioners do something to get it all cleaned up?

Barf Obama
Barf Obama 08/09/09 - 01:55 am
Liberty is but happiness in

Liberty is but happiness in the cradle that does not sleep when rocked but rises to defend its self.
There are no existing parties capable or being Public Servants in this great Republic. Our existing marshmallow politicians with wet noodle spines take it as an insult to be called a Public Servant.

Troubled1
Troubled1 08/09/09 - 02:56 am
morning all

morning all

Nammy3
Nammy3 08/09/09 - 04:20 am
G'morning Tujeez, RocknRoll,

G'morning Tujeez, RocknRoll, {♥}, Irish and all ya'll! Have a great day! w00t! (':

KSL
KSL 08/09/09 - 04:37 am
Last ranter, why not pull

Last ranter, why not pull over by the side of the road and do your little part to make a small amount of Richmond County look better if it is so important to you?

KSL
KSL 08/09/09 - 04:38 am
The old "lead by example"

The old "lead by example" example.

jus sayin
jus sayin 08/09/09 - 05:15 am
Excellent service 20% or

Excellent service 20% or better, service with an attitude I start to deduct, servers must realize patrons see you and how you treat tables differently, if you neglect me to provide for another table because you think they will tip better, advice to a server is don't judge so quickly. My teens w3nt out to eat one evening and I guess because of their ages the waitress totally ignored them, I have told them what you guys make and you work for tips, so they also know to tip well, but they could not because of the horrible service, and I don't blame them. All we require is timely refills.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 08/09/09 - 05:30 am
A server complaining about

A server complaining about tips again....if you don't like not getting tipped by some people then find a job that pays more. As Obama takes more money from the taxpayers you will probably see even less tips before it is over. Charities are seeing less money for the same reason. Discretionary spending is usually the first thing to go.

Nammy3
Nammy3 08/09/09 - 05:32 am
RnR~~

RnR~~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2YnDlEMXiU Have a good day, dude! (':

AintNoThang
AintNoThang 08/09/09 - 05:52 am
Here is my morning time hack

Here is my morning time hack contribution: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ENZY5AocA . Y'all have a fine day!

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/09/09 - 06:00 am
Sorry overburdened, you are

Sorry overburdened, you are normally right on target but the bottom line is the server has a very good point. Eathing out at a casual dining or fine dining restaurant or going to a bar, etc. means you should be perpared to pay your bill and tip accordingly, generally 20% for good service. If you get a discount or continually order water, etc. then you should adjust the tip upwards for the service without additional billing. I agree this is discretionary spending so if you can't afford to tip then eat at home or at a fast food restaurant. Service is part of the experience and the cost of the meal is lower due to lower salaries, etc. and the expectation of propper tipping. As for the comment regarding crime and the Sheriff's Office, crime is definetly up but so are arrests as MOST of these violent thugs are getting arrested. You are right though that the Sheriff's budget is woefully underfunded, especailly when they have money for all of the firvilous programs within Richmond County. The RCSO deputies are the LOWEST paid with the LEAST benefits in a multi county area and therefore you have high turneover and not nearly the deputies you need to do the job.

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 08/09/09 - 06:15 am
Hey Nammy! Hey Tujeez ...

Hey Nammy! Hey Tujeez ... Everybody have a good day !!! wOOt !!!

NEone
NEone 08/09/09 - 06:20 am
Maybe restaurants should

Maybe restaurants should charge more, pay their staff more, and abolish the tipping system completely.

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 08/09/09 - 06:22 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzWRHaIgmHs A little old-time rock and roll for you know who --- :O) The songs are great Nam ... Keep 'em up !!!!!!! You too have a great day ... !

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 08/09/09 - 06:22 am
Asitisinaug - You are right,

Asitisinaug - You are right, good servers deserve good tips. If I get a discount (like I did at the new restuarant Angel Island) I add the discount to the amount of my tip. People who can't afford a good tip should be able to treat themselves and their families once in awhile without the server berating them. Maybe the server could think of serving those type patrons as a public service and consider it "giving back". I also agree with jus_saying that servers sometimes judge their patrons wrongly and give limited service to those they prejudge will not tip well. I have noticed a difference in my service based on how well I am dressed.

Nammy3
Nammy3 08/09/09 - 06:31 am
Thanks RnR! w00t! Good to

Thanks RnR! w00t! Good to hear them again! Yep, keep 'em comin'...OMG! Can't help myself.........bwahaha...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8mOC08SNYc&feature=fvw

fftaz71
fftaz71 08/09/09 - 06:59 am
Overburdened says servers

Overburdened says servers should just consider it giving back when people dont tip..but the utilities wont consider it giving back when a server cant make their bills.
A restuarant that I worked for expects their servers to claim 10% of their sales intake for the shift- not 10% of their tips- which can sometimes stack up to more than 50% of their tips being claimed for taxation purposes. We also had to pay out money for each table we served to the bus boys for them to bus (yet they get paid minimum wages). My last paycheck from this place was for 33 hours...with no deductions other than taxes, I was left with 6.33 as my take home pay.
Some people expect that the server is going to know exactly when they want something and be there at that exact moment. Ive had customers tell me to my face that everything was fine, then get up and go complain to the manager that this was wrong or that was wrong and I didnt do anything to fix it. You just told me everything was fine...what was I supposed to fix?
I now work for a fast food chain, have less work, less hours and more money.
If this posts 2x, I apologize as I didnt see it post the first time so I rewrote it.

Boston93
Boston93 08/09/09 - 07:00 am
I say to non tippers, stay

I say to non tippers, stay home and prepare/serve your own meals. That'll get back at em'. Note: It's their lively hood and thank God the servers are trying to make a decent living.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 08/09/09 - 07:07 am
fftaz71 - All I said was that

fftaz71 - All I said was that sometimes people that can't afford good tips should have the ability to "treat" themselves to something nice once in awhile without being berated. And BTW, I have heard a lot of people say they are afraid to say anything to the servers if something is wrong because of the attitude they get and the attitude makes them wonder if the server might just spit in their food or do something worse because they complain. We have all heard those horror stories.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 08/09/09 - 07:13 am
My wife and I eat out at

My wife and I eat out at least once a week and generally leave a 9 to 11 dollar tip for a 30 dollar bill if the service is good. Use my extra for those that can't afford a good tip.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 08/09/09 - 07:16 am
Good Morning Sunshine!!

Good Morning Sunshine!!

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/09/09 - 07:16 am
Overburdened, most of those

Overburdened, most of those horror stories are just bs rumors as repeats of silliness through the internet, etc. and you are smart enough to know that. I see your point and no server or service worker should ever be rude to guests, etc. or have a poor attitude or for that matter jude a person based on race, sex, or what clothes they wear. However, servers are but mere humans and judgement is what the human race does and it judges based on many things including stero-typing based on repeated incidents from certain situations. The point is that people should be able to "treat theirselves" but not at the expense of others as that is our current administrations philisophy to which I know you don't suscribe. Bottom line is if you wish to go out to a casual dining restaurant, you need to have enough money to pay for what you order and tip accordingly as that is the expected norm in today's society. It isn't as if people don't know that tipping is expected as part of the servers or bartenders salary anymore. To blame the restaurant or bar and say they should pay them more is also silly because either way, your bill will rise by 20%. If you get bad service, thats different.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 08/09/09 - 07:27 am
Asitisinaug - you make a good

Asitisinaug - you make a good point, I concede to your wisdom.

1941
1941 08/09/09 - 07:33 am
Re; Tipping; What you

Re; Tipping; What you waitresses need to do is get the law changed, where your wages is not based on your tips.How can a buisness expect, a customer to pay for thier meal, gas to get to his resturant, and pay your wages. If he wants to be in buisness then he should be able to pay you a decent wage!!Also you chose , the profession that you are in.I tip when I have not had to wait, ten minuets, for a refill, and the waitress, act like she like waiting on you. No, we do not have to stop eating out, You need to find another job!!!

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/09/09 - 07:33 am
LOL - I here ya overburdened

LOL - I here ya overburdened -- and I am sure any server would be thrilled to have you as a patron. Have a great day....

andywarhol
andywarhol 08/09/09 - 07:55 am
I'm confused; where did

I'm confused; where did someone provide excellent service? I've only found it once here in Augusta. Even the managers don't even have a clue about dining etiquette.

andywarhol
andywarhol 08/09/09 - 08:02 am
BTW, I do tip well. The

BTW, I do tip well. The problem is most waiters/waitresses make no effort to earn a tip. I've actually had to get up and get my waiter before, because I've waited, and waited, and waited and watched them walk by while all the glasses are empty at our table. I've been at Olive Garden and had a waitress bring me my food while she's still chewing food that she ate in the back.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 08/09/09 - 08:07 am
Yuck.

Yuck.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 08/09/09 - 08:10 am
Yep! Good servers are FEW

Yep! Good servers are FEW and Far Between...You really have to go to the more upscale establishments....(or smaller restaurants that are privately owned) otherwise you are getting a bunch of twenty something's, who have NEVER waited tables, one. And two, they really just don't give a crap..they are back in the kitchen, trying to text someone, on and on....

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 08/09/09 - 08:12 am
Village Deli gives good

Village Deli gives good service, as does Yo Pizza....Good Food Too!!
Villa Europia is good as well...they aren't gonna put up with bad employees not giving good service..

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 08/09/09 - 08:42 am
There are many good waiters

There are many good waiters and waitresses in the area but there are also some very lazy ones. Perhaps if they paid attention to their customers and gave good service they may get a better tip. The two speeds, of slow and slower combined with a "bothered" attitude don't make me feel generous. Also, wait staff should never be seen eating while working. They should only eat on their break and not be snacking while on the job. Makes you wonder if they took a bite of your food.