Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

GOOD FOR Gov. Perdue? Teachers work part time? I am not a teacher, but how dare you say anything like that to malign the men and women who watch over and teach our children every day? Would you rather your children came home at 6 every day? Go teach. Then talk. Teachers deserve more respect, more pay and more time off.

TO THE PERSON writing in about teachers getting a cut: First of all, teachers go to school to earn degrees that pay their salaries. As a teacher, we all train nonstop to improve the quality of education that our children receive. As far as our retirement, we work monthly to earn this money; it is not given to us. Being a teacher is a 24/7 job, no matter what anyone says. I challenge the person with this smart comment to stand in the shoes of a teacher for one day.

I'M RESPONDING to the comment regarding teachers. Both my wife and daughter are teachers. They spend more time than you could ever imagine on their profession. This is not a part-time job. My wife gets up every school day at 4:30 a.m. to arrive at the high school where she teaches no later than 6:15. She comes home after 5 p.m., spends her time calling parents, grading papers, attending football, basketball, baseball games. My daughter is now scheduling time to go to school to get bulletin boards done, name tags for her new students. She wants everything to be perfect when the kids arrive. Ignorance can be fixed, but stupid is forever.

VERNON FORREST was a great boxer who gained the world's attention by upsetting Hall of Famer Shane Mosley not once but twice. He is loved among boxing fans around the world and in Augusta's small boxing community. I hope Augusta knows how to appreciate its own and does something to celebrate his life.

REALITY CHECK: Stop signs and speed limits are not suggestions; they are laws that apply to everyone. And the speed limit is the same, no matter what you drive or what lane you are in. Responsibility comes with driving privileges. 45,000 to 50,000 people die every year in crashes, most caused by lack of attention to the laws and the road.

HAVE SOME RESPECT for each other and the people around you. Reading all these rants makes me pretty disgusted to know that the people in this area are so incredibly rude and ignorant.

THIS IS A RANT for AARP. This group supports a health care bill that reduces Medicare benefits. This group does not represent the seniors who make up their membership.

MY HUSBAND worked hard all his life. He died believing that I would be taken care of with our health insurance. Now this community organizer con man comes in and wants to take care of everyone's insurance and hospitalization.

kat30815
kat30815 07/30/09 - 04:24 am
when will the interspecies

when will the interspecies marriage activists come to the aid of the man arrested for his relations with the mare he loves?

brianw
brianw 07/30/09 - 05:18 am
kat - So wrong on soooo many

kat - So wrong on soooo many levels, but incredibly funny. Thanks

Troubled1
Troubled1 07/30/09 - 06:01 am
morning all........lol kat

morning all........lol kat

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 07/30/09 - 06:20 am
Teachers deserve more pay?

Teachers deserve more pay? Have you looked at the AC database and seen what they make? There is a band teacher in Columbia County makes over $80,000 a year. The superintendant makes more than anyone else in Columbia County government, way more. Now teacher's assistants probably need to make more money. They say teachers go into the profession because of the "love of teaching and helping their fellow man" and not for the money. Sure can't tell it by their salaries.

blackambiance79
blackambiance79 07/30/09 - 06:43 am
overburdened taxpayer, do you

overburdened taxpayer, do you realize many of those people who earn that type of money have higher degrees such as PhDs and specialist degrees, and more.... in addition they have taken on other resonsibilities which provide them supplements.... a lot of that doesn't come cheap and trust me some are still oweing for how much it has costed them to go back to school for these other degrees... Trust me the majority don't go into this profession for the money... especially with the limited resources... Now I'm sure that Columbia County does pay more than Richmond County... probably harder to find a job in CC than RC....lol

Barf Obama
Barf Obama 07/30/09 - 06:56 am
There are no existing parties

There are no existing parties capable or being Public Servants in this great Republic. Our existing marshmallow politicians with wet noodle spines take it as an insult to be called a Public Servant.

andywarhol
andywarhol 07/30/09 - 07:29 am
Teachers and Policemen

Teachers and Policemen deserve the highest pay. If we raised the income and standards for admission to the police force, we'd have a more clean force. I'd love to be an officer, but I'm not going to take a 50% pay cut. If you pay them like scrubs, you'll most likely hire a lot of scrubs.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/30/09 - 08:20 am
Teachers deserve to be paid

Teachers deserve to be paid based on ability. Unfortunately, the system doesn't allow for this. Good teachers are a godsend. Everyone remembers their favorite teacher.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/30/09 - 09:03 am
Regarding the reality check

Regarding the reality check rant. Ain't it the truth!!! Folks have gotten way out of control with following the laws of the road. Guess with so many cars on the road today (and there are a lot) it is tough for law enforcement to be everywhere, but still........outside of cameras being installed, seems something else can be done....like you car cuts off when you turn if you don't use your signal, or you get a VERY loud obnoxious sound...something like that. Heck, they make cars that can talk to you....seems they can come up with some idea...

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/30/09 - 09:06 am
Show some respect

Show some respect people...........ya know what happens when you don't. Things get waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of hand!!!! {W00T}!!!! yanno? I hope everyone has a grrrrrrrrrrrrreat day!!!

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/30/09 - 09:09 am
That is true justthefacts. I

That is true justthefacts. I remember my Chemistry teacher from highschool. I'll never forget her words of inspiration to me. So true.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/30/09 - 09:12 am
Or shall I say words of

Or shall I say words of encouragement

OBX
OBX 07/30/09 - 09:12 am
Peace lover want to make a

Peace lover want to make a bet that you have know idea as to who I am. You posted some crap yesterday that I was trying to fool everyone by putting 1968 after my initials. News flash that's my birth year and until yesterday I had never posted on here before. Please don't invalidate any of your other posts by talking about someone whom you don't even know. Makes me questions if anything you have posted before is true.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/30/09 - 09:15 am
oh OK JHS...gosh, dint mean

oh OK JHS...gosh, dint mean ta make ya so huffy. Why would something like that make ya so huffy if it twernt some truth to it? hmmmmmmmmm..........ok.

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 07/30/09 - 09:17 am
You want "rude and ignorant "

You want "rude and ignorant " , Try going up North ...

Troubled1
Troubled1 07/30/09 - 09:18 am
morning rnr

morning rnr

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 07/30/09 - 09:19 am
Good morning everybody! Have

Good morning everybody! Have a great day !!! Hey Nammy! , Hey Tujeez !!!!!!! wOOt ! wOOt ! wOOt !!!!!!!!

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/30/09 - 09:20 am
YES!!!! I post nothing but

YES!!!! I post nothing but the, TRUTH....THe WHOLE TRUTH and Nothing but the TRUTH so HELP ME GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!..............hee hee.....wink....NO GO FORTH OH ANGRY ONE....and have a good day!!!!

mad_max
mad_max 07/30/09 - 09:22 am
I'm sorry. I just do not see

I'm sorry. I just do not see any benefit of paying extra to someone with a PhD to teach in the public school system. We don't need PhDs to teach elementary, middle, or high schoolers. It does not take a Phd to teach basic reading, writing, science, and mathematics. Those are the things we are failing at in our school system. Instead of paying extra for "advanced degrees" we need to pay extra for performance. A classroom teacher is a classroom teacher, no matter what kind of a piece of paper they hang on their wall. The ONLY difference between classroom teachers is PERFORMANCE and that is what the pay scales should be based on.

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 07/30/09 - 09:24 am
Hey Sweet Tea :)

Hey Sweet Tea :)

digmick
digmick 07/30/09 - 09:30 am
Exactly how is the healthcare

Exactly how is the healthcare reform going to destroy your healthcare obtained through your company? Oh by the way, these same companies are competing with companies around the world that are not paying for healthcare costs.

OBX
OBX 07/30/09 - 09:33 am
Well Peace Lover tell me what

Well Peace Lover tell me what it is you think you know about me, or is it now that you like so many others on here i.e. Rose, Serioun, Jack# and Jackfruit. You don't want to deal in facts just hear-say and perpetuation of the rumor mill. Not upset... you just hyjacked a thread on Health Care Reform and threw in some sort crap comment when I simply challenged Rose on the contents of the proposed bill, RCR and I were actually having an adult debate on what we are looking for in the reform. Neither one of us made any personal attacks toward each other... But that changed when you and Rose showed your ignorance.

OBX
OBX 07/30/09 - 09:37 am
Sweet Tea I should have

Sweet Tea I should have listened to you and the others yesterday...Very good advice. I guess I try to remain open-minded and try and see things from both sides...Oh silly me what was I thinking.............

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/30/09 - 09:40 am
Bahwhahahahahah

Bahwhahahahahah snort....lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rose
Rose 07/30/09 - 09:44 am
Good morning. It's a

Good morning. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. I pray for all our leaders, especially President Obama.

Troubled1
Troubled1 07/30/09 - 09:46 am
jhs, we all did that when we

jhs, we all did that when we first started posting, you learned quickly, more so than alot of others

R2
R2 07/30/09 - 09:50 am
JHS aka newbie/old asp You've

JHS aka newbie/old asp You've got a nerve calling someone ignorant. If you had that much sense you wouldn't be joining us on the r & r.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/30/09 - 09:52 am
That is why you are so

That is why you are so transparent 'JHS' you come on this board as a 'new' poster, and immediately start swingin full force at the same posters the others swing at. And you were never OPEN minded as your 9:37 suggested. Blah......

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/30/09 - 09:54 am
R2 JHS ain't new on this

R2 JHS ain't new on this board...someone is TRYING real hard to pull folks legs........give me a break....Oh and they know right who to hone on to too....RCR, Rose, jackfruit.....shut up.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/30/09 - 09:56 am
And Sweet Tea comes in on cue

And Sweet Tea comes in on cue right after JHS post....pleeeez. Now I've got to go, as I DO have more pressing things to do. Good morning Rose, R2...Hope you have a great day.

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...