Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

GOOD TO HEAR the Richmond school board is cutting $6.5 million more from schools. If that spending can be cut, it obviously wasn't necessary in the first place. How many more millions -- in all areas of government -- have been wasted? How many still are?

RICHMOND COUNTY Board of Education says it's cutting spending; then it votes unanimously to fight -- what? -- asthma? Is that an education issue?

WHAT'S UP with some of those chicken school board members? Are we to understand that the proposed tax increase would have meant an extra $80 a year tax on a $1 million house? Even some of us old folks on fixed incomes would gladly cough up an extra 5 to 20 bucks a year in taxes on our modest abodes in order to maintain a decent level of education in this burg.

SONNY PERDUE says he must cut Georgia funding down to the level it was at in 2005. Why did he let it go up?

I'M DISGUSTED by the governor's plan to furlough workers. Perhaps he should have handled his budget better. For instance, everyone knows that the "Sonny money" given to teachers in the past was nothing more than an attempt to buy votes. It's not the poor economy causing these furloughs -- rather, poor administration.

AS A PARENT of three I have had my share of tough decisions. One was whether or not to let a teenager get a driver's license at the age of 16. My decision then and now has been no. Cars are not toys. They are a means of transportation that happen to weigh hundreds of pounds and can be quite dangerous when not operated with the proper respect for their power. My "teenagers" are now 24, 19 and 17. I believe that my oldest two are that age now due to my restraint and the decision that they were not to receive a license until they turned 18. My 17-year-old is looking forward to that day.

THIS RAVE GOES OUT to those leading families in Harrisburg: You make Augusta better. We are proud of you for standing up to those slumlords and trashy dope peddlers. Thank you.

IN RESPONSE to the person who wrote in about parents who drop their children off at the neighborhood pool, leaving them for the neighbors to watch: I occasionally drop my child off at the pool while I run errands, and I do not expect other parents to watch them. That is what we pay the lifeguards to do. If a child is at the age and has passed all swimming requirements and has earned this privilege, for you to rant about this is unfair. If you are experiencing an unruly child at the pool, you should notify the lifeguard, who should then notify the parent of the child.

RAVES TO THE DRIVERS in south Augusta who do use their turn signals. They are a significant majority. Thanks, y'all.

HillGuy
HillGuy 07/28/09 - 01:07 am
Once again a very lame rants

Once again a very lame rants n raves.. Is this the best you can do Augusta?

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 07/28/09 - 02:41 am
Lifeguards are not

Lifeguards are not babysitters. if your child is not under adult supervision you should be jailed for child endangerment.

Troubled1
Troubled1 07/28/09 - 02:42 am
morning all

morning all

jsherrill
jsherrill 07/28/09 - 03:40 am
Lifeguards are not baby

Lifeguards are not baby sitters and are only responsible for the people in the pool. They cannot watch your child on the deck or playing in and around the pool area. Parents need to watch and protect there own children.

Barf Obama
Barf Obama 07/28/09 - 03:43 am
Liberty is but happiness in

Liberty is but happiness in the cradle that does not sleep when rocked but rises to defend its self.

jsherrill
jsherrill 07/28/09 - 03:44 am
The mall security officers

The mall security officers also are not babysitters and are not responsible for the safety of the children you dump at the mall. It may be convienient to the parents but it makes the shoppers uncomfortable to see large groups of young teens just haning out without any supervision.

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 07/28/09 - 04:38 am
I have a question, I have

I have a question, I have heard several teachers talking about having to work without pay. Is this legal? They stated they are expected to work on the furlough days without pay, I thought furlough days were considered days off. Can someone explain this to me.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 07/28/09 - 06:18 am
Good Morning To All Of The

Good Morning To All Of The Gang, radiatingtatas, Nammy!, RocknRoll, KSL, Trouble, Rolling Eyes, PatriciaThomas, Nwr81, ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts, Kiddspur, I4PUTT, goBAMA09 ROLLTIDE, Fire n Ice, Baroness, jack, *ladyjanegrey, GnipGnop, Lipstick Mama, andywarhol, SargentMidTown, Bailmeout2, areyoukiddingme, Dukedirtbag, SIGHER, christian 134, corgimom, Converted Southerner, 44mag, APiratesLife4Me, Reality and Grasshopper! NOW, All Of You, Have A Good Day

bm4
bm4 07/28/09 - 06:20 am
Lifeguards are NOT

Lifeguards are NOT babysitters! They are there to keep people safe whom are swimming in the pool. If they are watching your child, who is watching the swimmers? Drownings can occur in a split second. I want to know swimmers are safe NOT your child. PAY a babysitter to watch your child at the pool or take him/her with you. It won't kill you, I promise!!

DontTaseMeKim
DontTaseMeKim 07/28/09 - 06:37 am
If somebody could invent a

If somebody could invent a tramp stamp turn signal that automatically illuminated when she turned over, we'd have R&R's covered for the next year.

Martinez
Martinez 07/28/09 - 06:38 am
Let the lifeguard watch'em is

Let the lifeguard watch'em is such an irresponsible attitude to have concerning children. These are the same type parents that blame teachers when their children aren't sucessful in school, blame police when their kids break the law and look to the government for everything from medical coverage to housing rather then take pride and responsibility for their own lives and children.

blackambiance79
blackambiance79 07/28/09 - 06:41 am
The RCBOE has made the

The RCBOE has made the decision to reduce the amount of pay teachers will receive that equals the amount of days of work they have decided for teachers to receive no pay.... (of course teachers still get paid once a month so the reduction will be evenly distributed over the contract period that each teacher has committed to).... Teachers will still be required to work the same amount of days... just reduced pay... which sucks... it's not like teachers are being paid enough in the first place... But all in all, teachers will continue to do their best with even more limited resources.... And it is still a blessing to have a job in these hard economic times...

Martinez
Martinez 07/28/09 - 06:42 am
And I guess the mother who

And I guess the mother who left her children in the park assumed a park ranger would watch them too.

jboy
jboy 07/28/09 - 06:49 am
All other state workers have

All other state workers have been forced to take a day a month off since January, so why not teachers. At least their raises were
not cancelled to help with the budget as all other state workers were.

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 07/28/09 - 06:54 am
Good morning everybody ...

Good morning everybody ... Have a good day ! Hey Nammy! Hey Tujeez !

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 07/28/09 - 07:09 am
And now...the two minute run

And now...the two minute run down.....Ranter #1 is going to love Obamacare...until it comes time to die and he realizes Obama Taxes(to cover everything else Obama spent) have forced him not to live...Ranter #2 thinks air quality isn't an issue in education...she must not live in the non-attainment zone...Ranter #3, offers... chicken soup for the education budget cutting soul...Ranter #4 doesn't seem to understand...a budget is what you spend, a deficit it what you overspent and a surplus is something democrats wont let a republican governor save...Ranter #5 says educators are overpaid...another wealth envy rant....my educate your kids yourself idea is quickly gaining momentum......Ranter #6 says experience is a slow teacher.....Lucky #7....someone sees a sparkle from the diamonds of Harrisburg....#8 says there is no limit to the number of children a lifeguard can watch....do lifeguards have liability insurance?...And finally...has someone seen the light?...Thrown down their stick and picked up a carrot?....wonders never cease.....All of you have a great day...whether you use your turn signal or not....you'll be blessed if you do...and blessed might not be all you get if you don't

Martinez
Martinez 07/28/09 - 07:10 am
Corporate American has laid

Corporate American has laid off workers, frozen raises and in many cases reduced pay during this down economy so I see no reason why government can't do the same. The biggest difference is at least some companies reserved those steps for last resort and only after cutting other costs by reducing or eliminating travel expenses, renegotiating procurement agreements, etc. There are too many wasteful inefficiencies in the State budget to justify making some of the hardest working and lowest paid workers take the hit.

andywarhol
andywarhol 07/28/09 - 07:18 am
Her car only weighs hundreds

Her car only weighs hundreds of pounds? Every car I've owned has cleared 2000-3000lbs. Also, I know kids are less mature these days, but I used to ride my bike to the park and stay all day at the pool when I was 9 years old.

radiatingtatas
radiatingtatas 07/28/09 - 07:30 am
"That's what you pay

"That's what you pay lifeguards to do" what a stupid thing to write in about. I don't care how old your child is water is a dangerous thing. We have a pool in our backyard and my children are excellent swimmers and I am outside when they are in the pool at all times. Take your child with you if you can't afford daycare (which my hubby and I can't) then don't work and sacrifice things. Like your big screen TV, your video consoles, your laptops, your computers. Make do with what you have and dont depend on government programs and "lifeguards" to watch your children. I stay at home during the summer and go get a minimum wage job during school hours. The ranter that stated "that's what they get paid for" should be arrested for neglect to. By the way GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!!!

GR-10
GR-10 07/28/09 - 07:43 am
Jury Backs Hospital in

Jury Backs Hospital in Immigrant Case==STUART, Fla. (July 27) - A South Florida hospital that quietly chartered a plane and sent a seriously brain injured illegal immigrant back to Guatemala over the objections of his family and legal guardian did not act unreasonably, a jury found Monday.
Health care and immigration experts across the country have closely watched the court case in the sleepy coastal town of Stuart. They say it underscores the dilemma facing hospitals with patients who are unable to pay for the long-term care they need and don't qualify for federal or state aid because of their immigration status.== http://news.aol.com/article/hospital-deports-patient/586554?icid=webmail|wbml-aim|dl3|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fhospital-deports-patient%2F586554

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/28/09 - 08:09 am
Goodmorning tatas. Hope you

Goodmorning tatas. Hope you are well. The rant about the mom and her teenage kids driving....I can very much relate. My son had never shown a huge interest in getting his drivers license, so I most certainly was NOT gonna push it. I feel the same way. They are not toys. I think some teenagers are more mature than others and perhaps could drive at a younger age.
My son just turned 18, and is JUST now getting his license. He is still a nervous driver, but is doing great. He will be getting his own car in the next few months.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/28/09 - 08:12 am
And once they start driving

And once they start driving they will be driving for the rest of their lives!! It is not gonna 'kill' them to wait longer. Especially if they don't mind. That is even better.

omnomnom
omnomnom 07/28/09 - 08:14 am
ahhh hahahahah, check out the

ahhh hahahahah, check out the walton way road closure story, Joe Bowles called Justus4 an idiot. Hilarious

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/28/09 - 08:18 am
7:18. Hey Andy...I know, I

7:18. Hey Andy...I know, I used to do the same thing. My girlfriend and I would ride our bikes EVERYwhere. To Daniel Village and back and everywhere in between. We used to trick or treat by ourselves until 11:00 at night! There used to be a pool at Hickman park. (if you wanna call it that) a big square box looking thing. It had the coldest, clearest water. We would play in that pool for hours. I remember it being so hot out too. It was so much fun. Times have changed. Parents are naturally so much more protective of their children.

Happy Camper 455
Happy Camper 455 07/28/09 - 08:21 am
BTW..I don't recall anyone

BTW..I don't recall anyone there watching kids. But the water was not really that deep. Perhaps neck level. Just enough pool and water to make about 30 kids very happy. They have since filled it up with dirt. Sad. I still love to go to Hickman Park.

radiatingtatas
radiatingtatas 07/28/09 - 08:22 am
Doing just fine PL-- I

Doing just fine PL-- I didn't get my license until I turned 18 but that was because I was scared. I am not looking forward to my oldest being able to drive and she is only 11

God save America
God save America 07/28/09 - 09:14 am
you should not leave your

you should not leave your child anywhere and leave them there while you shop or whatever. i was a member of the north augusta gym at riverview park and they started letting people have 3 month membership. parents were letting kids off at the gym and then leaving them. those kids would run and fall down on the track and got in peoples way. a gym is not a place for kids to be running around. the people who work at gyms are not kid sitters and can't watch your child. if they get hurt you will want to sue the city while it would be the parents fauld. get somebody to come to your house and keep your kids. to the person who leaves her child at a pool by himself because the lifeguard and other parents are not kid sitters for your kids.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 07/28/09 - 09:18 am
Why doesn't Dr. Fukino EVER

Why doesn't Dr. Fukino EVER say I have seen his original birth certificate? And why does the media always jump to the conclusion he has? All Dr. Fukino has said is that he has "seen the original vital records maintained on file..."I ... have seen the original vital records maintained on file by the Hawaii State Department of Health verifying Barack Hussein Obama was born in Hawaii and is a natural-born American citizen," Health Director Dr. Chiyome Fukino said in a brief statement. "I have nothing further to add to this statement or my original statement issued in October 2008 over eight months ago." The records he is talking about, are NOT an original birth certificate, that's why. It is another type of form, NOT a birth certificate, because one was "not available" when one was needed, peculiar to Hawaii, and this has been all published before. It is bait and switch time again.

Sandpiper
Sandpiper 07/28/09 - 09:20 am
The pool rant, you drop off

The pool rant, you drop off your kids at the pool with the expectation that the life-guard is going to babysit your kid for you? Unless they know you and your family personally how would they know whether your kid is a good swimmer or not? How would they know that the person picking them up is really supposed to be leaving with him/her? How would they get in touch with you if your kid has a problem or got hurt? As a parent it is up to you to make arrangements for the supervision of your child. Do the responsible thing and hire a babysitter to watch your kid if you cannot be there to watch them yourself.

God save America
God save America 07/28/09 - 09:24 am
lifeguards are not hired to

lifeguards are not hired to be kid sitters but to keep people from drowing . if there is a unruley child at a pool or gym and the parent isn't there call the police .

Democrats target turnout for Sunday voting

Registered voters in Augusta-Richmond County can cast ballots in the Nov. 4 election from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Advance Voting Center at Augusta Municipal Building, 530 Greene St.