Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

A RAVE TO The Chronicle for printing Eugene Robinson's liberal July 18 column beneath two letters from Obama-hating, Rush Limbaugh-brainwashed, ditto-head conservatives. It is refreshing to see a little political balance in the paper.

RAVES TO The Augusta Chronicle. I so enjoy the American Profile publication that's included in the Monday paper, and we recently even enjoyed one of the trips that was mentioned in the Happenings column. Our thanks, and we really do appreciate and enjoy this publication.

I DON'T KNOW whose idea it was to put the Sports section before the Metro. I don't like it. Please change it back.

A RAVE FOR every member of Congress who signed the pledge to read the entire health care bill and post it for 72 hours on the Internet. A big rant for all congressional members who haven't signed the pledge because they want taxpayers to pay for abortions and other unwanted procedures.

WAS IT ALL SCRIPTED ahead of time? Sen. Lindsey Graham had Sonia Sotomayor on the ropes; then he backed off before knocking her out. Why should he suddenly back down when he was winning, unless backing down was his plan all along?

STORY TELLS OF COPS wounded or killed while "on the beat" in Jersey City and New Mexico. Not too long ago Broad Street had cops walking the beat, and there was little crime, thus little danger there to law-abiding citizens. Now many folks are afraid to even get close to Broad Street. All it needs is a couple of tough cops walking that beat 24 hours a day.

I AGAIN SAW in your paper that illegal Latinos are only doing jobs that Americans do not want to do. I know over a dozen American brick masons, framers, electricians, sheetrock installers, tree surgeons and concrete specialists that have not been able to get work for the last three years because employers are hiring illegal Latinos to pad their own bottom line.

Along the lines of being able to differentiate between what something costs and what something is worth: The playground extension behind the Columbia County library was free to the county; the time I spend with my kids there is priceless; the cost to the county for cleaning up the horrible mess the construction crew left in the adjoining green space next to the playground? To be determined.

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 07/22/09 - 02:14 am
This is in response to

This is in response to yesterday's first ranter about turn signals. I like when people use them, if they're actually going to do what they indicate. However I tend not to trust them. How many times have you been behind a vehicle whose signal did not shut off and they seem blithely unaware. That ranks right up there with brake riders, road hogs, and those who jump right out in front of you. I watched a police officer pull out from Southgate yesterday at 4:00 p.m. and between there and North Leg he made four illegal lane changes (failed to use turn signal) and changed lanes four times. In view of the fact he waited in line to turn on North Leg he didn't appear to be on call, but he sure was batting 100%.

Troubled1
Troubled1 07/22/09 - 02:17 am
morning all

morning all

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 07/22/09 - 02:51 am
We can't afford enough police

We can't afford enough police to walk Broad Street or properly patrol other areas, we certainly don't have the funds to give the RCSO deputies even a mere decent salary or retirement and whe a couple of commissoners tried, it was voted down in lieu of projects such as libraries, museums, trolley studies, new baseball field studies, etc. etc. - some of which may be good ideas but NONE of which are necessary such as Public Safety, Education and Infrastructure. This county really needs to get its priorities in order. And, BTW, I really do not like the online layout of the Chronicle now compared to how it was.

NEone
NEone 07/22/09 - 03:22 am
You don't like the sports

You don't like the sports section before the metro section? What prevents you from changing their order when you get the paper? Put it however you like and the problem is solved. Sheesh.

Troubled1
Troubled1 07/22/09 - 03:26 am
neone, it is the entitlement

neone, it is the entitlement crowd, they dont think they should have to do anything for themselves, even something that simple

WhoDatBe
WhoDatBe 07/22/09 - 04:20 am
"If you put the federal

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." -- Milton Friedman. w00t! Have a great day!

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 07/22/09 - 04:28 am
wOOt !!! Good morning

wOOt !!! Good morning everybody ! Hey Nammy... Hey Tujeez ~~~~~~~~ Have a great day !!!!

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 07/22/09 - 05:42 am
Hey Sweet Tea :)

Hey Sweet Tea :)

xanadu
xanadu 07/22/09 - 05:56 am
BrendaG: The cop was

BrendaG: The cop was obviously on a donut roll call. When the donuts are hot and fresh, they only have so many minutes to make it there to get their fair free share. Hope you stayed out of his way.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 07/22/09 - 06:04 am
latinos have taken over the

latinos have taken over the construction industry-I have been turned away from over thirty jobs because I (an AMERICAN veteran)do not speak spanish.Can anyone tell me WHY an American veteran must learn a foreign language in order to work in America?

xanadu
xanadu 07/22/09 - 06:25 am
Wizzard: understand your

Wizzard: understand your angst completely, but in actuality, we did this to ourselves. When someone will work for ten bucks an hour and not ask for any bennies, as opposed to someone who wants twenty-five bucks an hour, WITH perks and bennies, which one do you think the employer is going to hire? as for the language thing, well, we've become such a nation of nambypamby pushovers, does that even surprise you that now they expect us all to learn Espanol? Irks the crap out of me to go to Home Depot or Lowes and see everything listen in English and Spanish. I'm wondering when the Asians and other non-English speaking peoples living here are going to demand equal opportunity in the language arena.

sgachief
sgachief 07/22/09 - 07:18 am
hang in there folks, you

hang in there folks, you ain't seen nothin' yet. SnObama and his USA wrecking crew is not finished yet. And if he thinks he does not have enough help, I'm sure Lindsey G. the idiot will volunteer.

snap1089
snap1089 07/22/09 - 07:20 am
good morning all! WhoDatBe:

good morning all!
WhoDatBe: haha makes a lot of sense...
Wizzardx1: I have no idea, but I agree with chiennedereine that we did a lot to ourselves as we have earned more through hard work and ask for more. But obvioulsy most companies would rather hire 5 10/hr workers than 2 25/hr workers. Sad, but true. Makes sense though, unfortunately. I'm all for diversity and other nationalties, but Welcome to America! Now speak English!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/22/09 - 07:29 am
Let's see, two estimates to

Let's see, two estimates to extend and relevel a paver patio.
#1 a local company who wants to bring in small equipment, 6 employees, take 2 days and estimates the bill will be around $3000.
#2 3 Hispanic "Gentlemen" who will come in using shovels, not tear up the rest of my yard, and complete the job in 6 hours with a guaranteed price of $250. Hmmm, now which one should I choose?

Nammy3
Nammy3 07/22/09 - 07:42 am
G'morning Tujeez, RocknRoll,

G'morning Tujeez, RocknRoll, {♥}, Irish and all ya'll! Have a great day! w00t! (':

andywarhol
andywarhol 07/22/09 - 07:46 am
Ha ha, CBBP. The same guys

Ha ha, CBBP. The same guys did my roof and my deck! Not only do they undercut the rest, but they do a quality job. They're in and out and actually show respect for you and your property.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/22/09 - 08:13 am
That's exactly my point. No

That's exactly my point. No one thinks they should work. I've cut prices on my products and services and stay relatively 5 times as busy as my competitors who have not. A little compassion and understanding go a long way. My competitors clear 2 times what I do per job, but I am doing 5 times the work they are and beginning to realize that some of their normal customers are becoming my loyal repeat customers.

WhoDatBe
WhoDatBe 07/22/09 - 08:18 am
CBBP - Is this possibly why

CBBP - Is this possibly why Obama has not made you a czar of something? You have this silly notion that decreasing business taxes/fees, and subsequent customer expenses, and increasing productivity and volume to achieve a greater profit is viable. Man, you just don't get it do ya? Get on that train, boy!

akajenfer
akajenfer 07/22/09 - 08:32 am
Are you sure its quality, do

Are you sure its quality, do you really know what you are looking at? My boyfriend's dad owns a construction company and they have had to go and fix jobs behind hispanic workers or run trim and things were constantly crooked and unlevel. It might look good to the untrained eye, but give it a few years.

WhoDatBe
WhoDatBe 07/22/09 - 08:35 am
It might look good to the

It might look good to the untrained eye, but give it a few years.
Posted by akajenfer on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:32 AM Kinda like your painted lady body, ehh? G'mornin!

Irish
Irish 07/22/09 - 08:35 am
Morning Nam, Lindsey Graham

Morning Nam, Lindsey Graham is a bigger disgrace to SC than Mark Sanford ever thought of being. He and John are largely responsible for the demise of the Rep party with their so called reaching across the aisle. He really needs to be replaced with a solid conservative in the next election. It was him and his gang of 14 that caused many problems and now that the dems have complete control where is the gang of 14 to prevent them from ramming through legislation. No where to be seen....

akajenfer
akajenfer 07/22/09 - 08:42 am
That's just ridiculous. We

That's just ridiculous. We were discussing construction and hispanic workers, but here you go trying start crap. Gah...can you say beating a dead horse!

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 07/22/09 - 08:44 am
Good Morning To All Of The

Good Morning To All Of The Gang, radiatingtatas, Nammy!, RocknRoll, KSL, Trouble, Rolling Eyes, PatriciaThomas, Nwr81, ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts, Kiddspur, I4PUTT, goBAMA09 ROLLTIDE, Fire n Ice, Baroness, jack, *ladyjanegrey, GnipGnop, Lipstick Mama, andywarhol, SargentMidTown, Bailmeout2, areyoukiddingme, Dukedirtbag, SIGHER, christian 134, corgimom, Converted Southerner, 44mag, bellm1965, APiratesLife4Me, Reality and Grasshopper! NOW, All Of You, Have A Good Day!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/22/09 - 08:50 am
Well Jennifer, I have a

Well Jennifer, I have a trained eye and research every project that I undertake whether I do it myself or hire someone to do it for me. I don't need someone wheeling around in a bobcat tearing up my lawn when a job can be done quicker with shovels and wheelbarrows. I don't need to pay someone to fix what they tear up in the process of doing something else for which I am paying them. I don't pay people by the hour, I pay them by the job. The smart ones understand that the quicker they give me quality work the more money they make. The also realize referrals to quite a few of my fellow business owners and friends. If the job is not of the quality I expect then I'll also tell those same people about it and they won't be in business long if they can't deliver what they promise. I will not pay a contractor $10,000 because he's been in business 10 years and only comes out to give me an "estimate" and collect a check, when a small business owner comes and does the same job for $5000 and is there working the whole time.

akajenfer
akajenfer 07/22/09 - 08:56 am
I never said anything about a

I never said anything about a husband...I believe you must be thinking of someone else. You should probably go back a reread comments before accusing someone of not keeping their story straight.

Irish
Irish 07/22/09 - 08:57 am
cbbp I have some work I need

cbbp I have some work I need done if you can do it at a reasonable price. Let me know how to contact you....

akajenfer
akajenfer 07/22/09 - 08:58 am
Furthermore Irish my comment

Furthermore Irish my comment wasn't even directed at you...it was directed at WhoDatBe. Once again if you were to read and pay attention you would have understood that instead of jumping to conclusions.

BabyCanYouDigYourMan
BabyCanYouDigYourMan 07/22/09 - 09:01 am
When I replaced all the

When I replaced all the flooring in my home, the contractors sent by Home Depot were all Hispanic. They worked quickly and efficiently, took no extended breaks, and now five years after the event my flooring has zero defects. I find it odd a minority would be criticizing those who would employ Hispanics. Are we only supposed to treat "one.minority" equally?

akajenfer
akajenfer 07/22/09 - 09:03 am
CBBP...I have nothing against

CBBP...I have nothing against a small business owner since I am one and so is my boyfriend's dad. He has a small crew, but he also refuses to hire illegals. He keeps his costs down and works fast. Since the whole housing market has collapsed he has been forced to subcontract through a larger company and do insurance work as well as take any other small jobs he can get because no one is really building houses right now. He is not just one there to collect a check. He works with the crew to complete the job and if he is not on site he is out getting materials, picking up checks or bidding more work so that his crew can continue to get paid.

akajenfer
akajenfer 07/22/09 - 09:04 am
I don't see where you fixed

I don't see where you fixed anything Irish.