Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

IN SOUTH CAROLINA we have these ultraconservatives that are for the blue laws, and they have a double standard. When I go to eat on Sunday at noon, guess who's in line in front of me? People who are dressed up who have just come out of church. They don't consider the fact that people have to had to work to prepare their food for them on Sunday, but they won't let Home Depot or anyone else be open.

THIS IS A RANT to the person who said Lindsey Graham and others should be spending more time recruiting businesses with jobs to come to South Carolina. I for one don't want any more carpetbaggers down here.

COLUMBIA COUNTY officials are scrambling to find other ways to raise taxes since the governor stopped them from claiming that property values have increased. This should cause the residents, who are also voters, to realize that it is time for a lot of changes.

LET A 4-YEAR-OLD be a 4-year-old at home instead of hiring teachers to raise them. Show me some evidence where going to school one year earlier than kindergarten has helped any of them. It would be a start at keeping our schools' afloat. We've got kids coming out of high school not even knowing what the Statue of Liberty, Washington Monument and even the White House are.

PEOPLE DON'T TAKE speeding limit signs seriously. They look at the number on the sign and think that it means they should go over that number. Then when I make it a point not to speed, they act like I'm the one breaking the law.

A RANT FOR all the parents that sign their children up for "team" sports and then the kids don't show up for practices or games and quit the team halfway through the season because something else caught their attention. This is unfair to the rest of the kids on the team, and it is also a very bad lesson to teach your child that is it OK to quit something you start and leave others hanging.

RANT TO GOV. SANFORD for what he has downloaded on his family and state. As a South Carolina resident, I have had good faith in the governor for several years, and it is sad that this has happened. A good governor, but this situation will most likely do him in as governor -- and should in my opinion. I pray for him, his family and South Carolina.

NEXT TIME we spend money on a special election for a SPLOST, let's also have a vote of confidence on our commissioners and the ability to vote them out of office.

CHANGES IN THE use of credit cards are long overdue. My daddy taught me back in the 1970s not to trust in those things, to pay as you go. Look at the crazy number of people who owe by getting so much of what they cannot really pay for, then complaining about their bills.

Nammy3
Nammy3 06/26/09 - 12:46 am
G'morning Tujeez, RocknRoll,

G'morning Tujeez, RocknRoll, CJ, J², {♥} and all ya'll! Have a great day! w00t! (':

wildman
wildman 06/26/09 - 03:55 am
Changes in the Columbia Co.

Changes in the Columbia Co. leadership are desperately needed. Double Cross needs to be the first to go.

omnomnom
omnomnom 06/26/09 - 04:28 am
People ordering food at North

People ordering food at North Leg Family Restaurant better like it their chicken blackened.. As well as the steak, seafood, and the decor. A fire gutted it! Oh noes.. hopefully they'll be able to rebuild..

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/26/09 - 05:14 am
The blue laws, and they have

The blue laws, and they have a double standard. When I go to eat on Sunday at noon, guess who's in line in front of me? I would agree with you since Saturday is the true Sabbath Day. Christians meet on the first day of the week, because of the Pentecost. As a Christian I find the blue laws confusing myself. I also find it confusing that the larger churches open their book stores after the Sunday services. However, Gentile Christians are not required to follow the Jewish customs. I have concluded in my study of the new testament that its more important to concentrate what is on the inside, instead of what is on the outside appearance.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 06/26/09 - 05:16 am
I agree with #5. I drive an

I agree with #5. I drive an unmarked Sheriff's Office car at work. When I'm going down the street AT THE SPEED LIMIT people get right on my bumper and you can see the look on their faces that they are disgusted you are holding them up. So which is it people? Do you want your law enforcement officers obeying the law or breaking it so you can get to your accident faster? BTW, when they realize it's a Sheriff's Office vehicle - they all of a sudden back off but they still have that look on their faces.

happydazerhereagain
happydazerhereagain 06/26/09 - 05:19 am
Trey are you a dumb blonde?

Trey are you a dumb blonde?

happydazerhereagain
happydazerhereagain 06/26/09 - 05:20 am
or brunette or redhead..

or brunette or redhead..

happydazerhereagain
happydazerhereagain 06/26/09 - 05:22 am
PEOPLE DON'T TAKE speeding

Those are speed signs?

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/26/09 - 05:25 am
A RANT FOR all the parents

A RANT FOR all the parents that sign their children up for "team" sports, I agree except when the child, just does not want to be there and is an embarrassment for the team and their parents. Some kids don not have the discipline to play sports. It is even worse when it is the coaches kid. Some people shouldn't be coaches, and some kids should not be involved in a sport which they don't have a passion for.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 06/26/09 - 05:26 am
Yeah what is up with the

Yeah what is up with the church book (and gift) stores? Didn't Jesus throw the marketplace out of the church? I go into some now-a-days and it looks like a bazaar right there in the lobby or the back of the sanctuary, especially when they have a visitor like Perry Stone. Then he has a jewelry counter, tape, cd, dvd and book counter, an art table and little tables for those he brings with him that has cd's or books or whatever. Then you have a half-hour infomercial before the service actually starts.

Billy Shears
Billy Shears 06/26/09 - 05:29 am
o_t - That is set up to help

o_t - That is set up to help put you in the mood for "love offerings". It gets to the point "Here, just take the $20 and shut up!"

ladyjanegrey
ladyjanegrey 06/26/09 - 05:53 am
A Fine and fortuitous Friday

A Fine and fortuitous Friday to all of you fortunate Folks who have the Fortitude and forthought to Frolic Fancifully around this fascistic site..(I am still waiting to get my head chopped off ..again)

Bigjoker
Bigjoker 06/26/09 - 05:57 am
Ladyjane: hang around for a

Ladyjane: hang around for a little bit and some of this bunch will probably be glad to do it for you since they love the blood letting at times.....

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/26/09 - 06:04 am
Perry Stone, I remember him

Perry Stone, I remember him when he was just an Evangelist, he was a good teacher, some of his teachings were strange, but it made me think. He turned out to be another "Pitch Man Evangelist", buy my video or book and it will set you free. I believe the bible teaches only Jesus can set one free.

2tired2argueanymore
2tired2argueanymore 06/26/09 - 06:37 am
You did get a chance to voice

You did get a chance to voice your opinion of the commisioners and most of you were too lazy to go and voice it. I guess they should have let you vote in the rants and raves so you wouldn't actually have to get up and go vote at the polls.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 06/26/09 - 06:41 am
I don't even go to churches

I don't even go to churches anymore unless my wife drags me. I have my own charities where I know that $1 of every $1 goes directly to the people I'm trying to help. I don't need to go to a church where "the church" leases a Mercedes for the Pastor and then still begs for money. Ummm a hyundai sonata would do the same thing for a lot less. And Barack if you are listening, I don't need the government to distribute it for me either. Because of the government trying to distribute it (raise my taxes) I have less to donate to my charities.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 06/26/09 - 06:56 am
Good cartoon Rick. I'm a

Good cartoon Rick. I'm a republican and can still find the satirical humor in it. Unlike the dems who thought your Hitler cartoon was unbearable.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/26/09 - 07:10 am
OT, preachers should earn a

OT, preachers should earn a decent living. I agree that a Mercedes is a bit extreme, but those that run the church shouldn't be poor either. The good preachers do work hard, and deserve a decent wage.

rharris3237
rharris3237 06/26/09 - 07:21 am
Rant on our Mayor and

Rant on our Mayor and comissioners, I vote at every election and will always vote against the incumbents. They keep spending and taxing with nothing to show for it. We do not need a ballpark the one we have is fine. Almost empty every game, so it will not pay for itself. Trolleys went out in the 60's. I agree with beautification of Augusta but within in reason. If they made the city pay on an equal tax as the county they would have plenty of money. Just look at the trash service we were forced to get that most did not want.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 06/26/09 - 07:23 am
I agree that preachers

I agree that preachers deserve a decent wage but when they earn an exorbidant wage then something is wrong. Tithes are supposed to go for the upkeep of the church and a decent wage for the pastor and the different ministries and missionaries, etc that the church supports. The more they pay the pastor above a DECENT wage, the more that is not available for the other things. And a Mercedes counts as above a decent wage. I mean half of the congregation of a lot of those mega-churches barely have a car that runs to get them to church. But they are talked into giving up their money while the pastor (like Hagee, Duplantis, Stone, Parsley, Meyers, Kennedy etc) live in multi-milion dollar homes or estates.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/26/09 - 07:44 am
OT we agree!

OT we agree!

SweetT
SweetT 06/26/09 - 07:46 am
morning all

morning all

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/26/09 - 07:47 am
Overburdened, you are wise

Overburdened, you are wise not to listen to the likes of Hagee and the rest. Evidently you haven't visited some of the local area churches here in Augusta. Most of them are modest, God fearing, churches. How about visit around and see for yourself, don't lump all churches into the same category. There are a lot of false prophets out there and most pastors/preachers don't drive around in a Mercedes.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 06/26/09 - 07:59 am
The pastor with the leased

The pastor with the leased Mercedes is here in Augusta.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 06/26/09 - 08:06 am
InChristLove - Unfortunately

InChristLove - Unfortunately there are no churches in Augusta that practice my faith. Chuches here get half of it but not all of it.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/26/09 - 08:16 am
Trey are you a dumb

Trey are you a dumb blonde?
Posted by Van Love on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:19 AM I love you too!

happydazerhereagain
happydazerhereagain 06/26/09 - 08:47 am
A little delayed reaction

A little delayed reaction there Trey? oh and that would be TOO with TWO O's, since everyone on here likes spell police, just want to fit in

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/26/09 - 08:51 am
My love, I do other things

My love, I do other things than sit here and read the AC!

happydazerhereagain
happydazerhereagain 06/26/09 - 08:52 am
O T is it really any of your

O T is it really any of your business what a pastor drives, people like you will think of any reason not to attend chruch. No churches here that practice your cult, i mean faith? sure thing.

God save America
God save America 06/26/09 - 08:52 am
when i grew up stores were

when i grew up stores were closed on sunday. people got their shopping dune in 6 days . what is the problem with stores opening at 1:30 sunday it gives people a chance to go to early church if they want to. why don't you people stop making excuses about not going to church and just say i don't go .