Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

I WANT TO KNOW people's opinions on the "new math" for the freshmen in high school. My son failed this class along with many others. Are they going to be able to graduate? What happens if they can't pass? Yes, make it tougher but not so tough the kids fail. Personally, the Georgia school board failed.

I HAVE BEEN reading the paper in Augusta for some time now, and I see drug dealers and robbers get more time than killers. The system works to help the criminals, not the victims or their families.

MY HUSBAND and I went to the Augusta Mall last weekend and were absolutely disgusted by the clothes some of the young girls were wearing. They might as well have been in their underwear! I've never seen clothes like that in my life! They looked like prostitutes! I believe some kind of dress code should also be enforced because apparently the only people who want to see that mess are teenage boys!

I AM AN 80-YEAR-OLD lady and I'm calling in because I don't know what happened to indecent exposure now with the boys going around with their pants below their butts, and we older people have to sit or either walk and watch this. It should be a law that they shouldn't go around showing their underwear with their pants down to their knees. Things are getting so bad, after awhile they probably will pull their underwear down.

AUGUSTA MALL needs to be aware of the fact that if you don't get rid of the sagging pants punks, your mall will be like Regency Mall. I'm from South Carolina, and Georgia will not honor my concealed weapons permit, so I have long since stopped going to Augusta anyway.

THE RICHMOND COUNTY school budget is apparently going to be $225,241,336, for one year. How big is Richmond County? Isn't that a heck of a lot of money for a few schools? If the county had 225 schools, it'd still be over a million per school.

PRESIDENT OBAMA hadn't even finished his speech in Cairo and Republican right wing hate specialists Rush Limbaugh and Liz Cheney were trashing and criticizing him, refuting everything he was saying. When George W. Bush was president, however, it was not patriotic to criticize the president. Of course, these Republicans seem to have abandoned that philosophy along with their family values and all their other failed values that have destroyed our economy.

THIS IS A RANT to my brothers and sisters in the minority community. Enough is enough. Thank God that we got Barack Obama as president. Not everybody in America that is white was a plantation owner. And not all my brothers and sisters worked on those plantations. So enough is enough. Let's carry on and let's chug ahead.

christian134
christian134 06/09/09 - 09:46 am
AAQueen that is just too

AAQueen that is just too funny...:-)

Dukedirtbag
Dukedirtbag 06/09/09 - 10:10 am
the good thing is the more

the good thing is the more that wear that style the more that will get caught cause they cant run away from a crim escene

brianw
brianw 06/09/09 - 10:51 am
To the person asking the

To the person asking the question about math in the first entry in today's R&R. Be happy that the math is tough now. It only gets harder in college. MATH is something we use every day of our lives. Truly, most of the math our kids are learning is simple plug a number into the formula. Lots of folks get confused by the letters and such in algebra when it truly comes down to simple add, subtract, multiply, divide. I finished my four year degree at the age of 39. I recall feeling regret when looking backward to high school. Back then I thought all that algebra would never be needed in real life. Tell your son to buckle down and study now for the long term. Ask the school guidance counselor for a tutor if he is really struggling and you do not understand it enough to be of assistance.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 06/09/09 - 10:53 am
Good Morning To All Of The

Good Morning To All Of The Gang, nomoreglowintatas, Nammy!, RocknRoll, KSL, Trouble, Rolling Eyes, PatriciaThomas, Nwr81, ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts, Kiddspur, I4PUTT, goBAMA09 ROLLTIDE, Fire n Ice, Baroness, jack, *hurlyburly11, GnipGnop, Lippy+2, Billy Idol, SargentMidTown, Bailmeout2, areyoukiddingme, Dukedirtbag, SIGHER, christian 134, corgimom, Converted Southerner, 44mag, bellm1965, APiratesLife4Me and Reality! NOW, All Of You, Have A Good Day!

TrulyWorried
19192
TrulyWorried 06/09/09 - 10:56 am
Too bad the dog did not lift

Too bad the dog did not lift his leg to express HIS opinion!!

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/09/09 - 11:09 am
Math is a building block for

Math is a building block for problem solving, kids are just going to have to sit down and concentrate. Once it is learned then its like adding 2+2.

TroubIe
TroubIe 06/09/09 - 11:15 am
morning tu

morning tu

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 06/09/09 - 11:37 am
I once saw a 300 pound woman

I once saw a 300 pound woman dressed in spandex shake her booty on the dance floor at the nightclub I worked for. I was begging for someone to blind me!!!

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 06/09/09 - 11:59 am
Did anyone read about the 11

Did anyone read about the 11 yr old girl from Poland whose father is now an American citizen is being deported because he missed a deadline for her? She is from Poland and has been here since she was 2 yrs old. This is being done because of the law. The question is, why does the likes of Napolitano and Pelosi advocate leaving the illegal Mexicans alone? Is it because THEY will become NObama voters and she won’t?

Lippy
Lippy 06/09/09 - 12:11 pm
Good afternoon! It's funny

Good afternoon! It's funny that the older you get the worse you think "young people" dress and act. If you knew then what you know now I bet you wouldn't have done a majority of the things you did growing up. But remember people, these kids hanging out in the mall are in the process of growing up. We don't need laws to educate these kids, we need parents to educate these kids.

Lippy
Lippy 06/09/09 - 12:12 pm
purmkinhed - does someone

purmkinhed - does someone weighing 300 lbs. technically HAVE a booty?

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/09/09 - 12:12 pm
Purmkinhead, that was not a

Purmkinhead, that was not a politically correct statement!

KSL
KSL 06/09/09 - 12:16 pm
Well, Lippy, I'm a lot older

Well, Lippy, I'm a lot older than you are. Guess what we wore to the mall. When I was their age, the preppy look was the style. So, yeah, I would say they look worse today.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/09/09 - 12:17 pm
Lippy I was a retarded punk!

Lippy I was a retarded punk! We used to love to harass the old men that ran the Ace Hardware near Columbia and Belair road. We did stupid stuff walk in Ace Hardware and light cigars and just start puffing away. Those old men would freak out.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/09/09 - 12:25 pm
Just be glad you didn't have

Just be glad you didn't have to deal with the Micheal Jackson gloves and jackets. While others were wearing bandannas and leather spiked accessories. The 80's was one of the dumbest groups.

goBAMA_09_ROLLTIDE
goBAMA_09_ROLLTIDE 06/09/09 - 12:37 pm
Hey milton, how about the

Hey milton, how about the leisure suits and platform shoes?

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/09/09 - 12:46 pm
The platform shoes and the

The platform shoes and the polyester suits made a come back in the downtown crowd in the 90's.

Lippy
Lippy 06/09/09 - 01:10 pm
KSL, I guarantee older people

KSL, I guarantee older people got upset with some of the things you wore when you were younger. I remember my dad telling me rolling his sleeves made him a rebel in high school. LOL Times change, trends change...but there will always be kids acting out and adults being disgusted by it.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/09/09 - 01:31 pm
So that is why politicians

So that is why politicians roll up their sleeves and pretend they have hard work to do. They just want to be rebels, and actually work?

Lippy
Lippy 06/09/09 - 01:46 pm
Well it's not the 50's or the

Well it's not the 50's or the 60's anymore...but that might be the reason...lol

Nammy3
Nammy3 06/09/09 - 01:51 pm
w00t! turn it.

w00t! turn it.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/09/09 - 01:56 pm
Who said anything about race?

Who said anything about race?

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/09/09 - 02:16 pm
Lets not forget Boy George

Lets not forget Boy George and guys wearing panties singing I am a material girl. I am glad for GNR and Waylon Jennings the true musicians. Rock on! I think I'll grab a 40 and sit on the front porch and blast some good ole boys, or paradise city.

Rose
Rose 06/09/09 - 02:17 pm
Nothing to do in Augusta?

Nothing to do in Augusta? amncheatham how would you like to grow up in a town of 5 or 6000 people and have one movie theater,one drive-in theater, a carnival once a year, and just 4 eateries? none of those were McDonalds or Wendys or any chain.Stores closed at 1pm on Wednesdays and was closed Sundays.Stores closed at 7 on Saturdays and the other days closed at 6.You have it made here in Augusta. There is plenty to do.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/09/09 - 02:23 pm
Can't forget that I blasted

Can't forget that I blasted black dog all the time, through my 12" Kenwood woofers. It aggravated the heck out of the old man.

Dukedirtbag
Dukedirtbag 06/09/09 - 03:00 pm
just to get even the older

just to get even the older folks should prowl the mall in speedos

ITDoc
ITDoc 06/09/09 - 03:07 pm
If you don't like what the

If you don't like what the patrons of any business do or wear, do not patronize that business. It's still a free country...

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 06/09/09 - 03:09 pm
Duke as long as they get a

Duke as long as they get a good waxing!

Dukedirtbag
Dukedirtbag 06/09/09 - 03:10 pm
i'm not sure what malll

i'm not sure what malll amncheatham has been hangin at,but i see youth of all races wearing the droopy pants style, and it does have a benefit, it keeps them out of trouble cause it makes it hard to runaway from mischief

Lippy
Lippy 06/09/09 - 03:12 pm
For once Rose, I agree with

For once Rose, I agree with you.