Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

PLEASE, COLUMBIA COUNTY commissioners, no more apartments. Just ask the police where they have to go most of the time. And if they're going to be upscale, how many people will be piling in it to pay the upscale prices? Please, no more apartments in Columbia County.

TO THE KIDS who shot fireworks by Brick Pond park in North Augusta. I hope you had fun, I did that when I was a kid. But I always cleaned up after myself -- it was something my parents taught me. I cleaned up your mess -- that's the problem with many of the youth these days -- they don't take responsibility for their own actions.

OBAMA'S NEWEST "PLAN" to regulate finance (totally unconstitutional) would "centralize enforcement." That means it would make the finance part of America a police state with Obama the police chief. How absurd can we get? We already have the Securities and Exchange Commission to watch for crime in finance. It's failed miserably, but another government group will be just as corrupt.

I WISH WE HAD a bullet train that went to both Atlanta and Savannah from Augusta. Imagine the possibilities.

THIS IS A RANT to Richmond County. Please do something about all the potholes in most of the roads; they are messing people's cars up.

THIS IS A RANT to the person who will no longer read The Chronicle because he or she was so disgusted by the article on potty training by Dr. John Rosemond in the May 10 paper: First of all, Dr. Rosemond is an expert in his field, giving extremely good common sense advice. Maybe if you read a few of his books you would change your mind. And Dr. Rosemond did not say you should lock your child in the bathroom. You should concentrate on your reading comprehension.

RAVES for Richmond County Board of Education President Marion Barnes and Superintendent Dr. Dana Bedden for leading public education in Richmond County into an era of greatly improved educational opportunities for all Richmond County's children.

Nammy3
Nammy3 05/24/09 - 01:14 am
"(".(*_*)/")

"(".(*_*)/") Morning....Tujeez, RocknRoll, J² and all ya'll! Have a great day! w00t! (':

hurlyburly11
hurlyburly11 05/24/09 - 02:45 am
morning to all you lovely

morning to all you lovely lads and lassies.........my rant for the day....Where is the Sun??......................

TroubIe
TroubIe 05/24/09 - 03:54 am
morning all

morning all

NANF
NANF 05/24/09 - 05:41 am
A "Bullet Train" ?. Isn't

A "Bullet Train" ?. Isn't life fast enough already? There's a lot to see between here and Savannah ( OR ) Atlanta, and here and anywhere if ya stop and look and enjoy. Slow down, ya might even feel better. THAT is "the possibilities."

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/24/09 - 06:02 am
Good morning everyone! True,

Good morning everyone! True, there is no sun hurlyburly1 but yellow roses and orange tiger lilies sure show up bright and pretty against a gray sky. When it's damp and gray outside the pollen isn't floating around to make our eyes water and our noses tickle. I actually enjoy days like this when it's a little cooler, too.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/24/09 - 06:04 am
My rant for the day: Why

My rant for the day: Why couldn't you spell the Salutatorian's name right under her picture? What has happened to the proofreaders at this paper? Are there any?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/24/09 - 06:06 am
Okay, I fibbed I have another

Okay, I fibbed I have another rant: Who is shooting off guns around here? I woke up at 5:30am, wondered what woke me. A few minutes later, three gunshots in the distance. crack, crack, crack, quick succession this time. On a previous night it was 2 shots, then a pause, then a third shot. Needless to say, I've been awake ever since. I was afraid to even step out to get my newspaper. That's a shame. This is a subdivision, it's not supposed to be under fire.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/24/09 - 06:14 am
RAVE for Yueran Aaron Yuan

RAVE for Yueran Aaron Yuan becoming the Grand Prize Winner in the Best and Brightest contest. He took the SAT until he made 2400 and is a well-rounded and well-respected student at one of the best schools in the nation, Davidson Fine Arts Magnet School. This is an amazing and determined young man, he didn't even know English when he moved here 9 years ago! Davidson's Salutatorian, Autumn Laurel Von Plinsky, was also nominated. Her twin brother , Ty Jeremiah Von Plinsky, is also an honor graduate of Davidson.

1941
1941 05/24/09 - 06:16 am
Ok, baroness, get ready for

Ok, baroness, get ready for ''The right to bear arms''crowd.This is what you get, when you see idiots, that think that means'' fire when ready''

Eyore
Eyore 05/24/09 - 06:21 am
1941....most, not all of the

1941....most, not all of the supporters of the 2nd amendment (which you appear to not be a member) believe in RESPONSIBLE gun ownership, so don't count on your prediction coming true.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/24/09 - 06:21 am
Neighbors were saying at a

Neighbors were saying at a local yard sale yesterday that it was just kids playing around. Is that supposed to make it okay? I told them with slightly veiled sarcasm, "Oh, up til now, I thought they were just practicing for the drive-bys, like the one over there, (pointing in the direction of the last drive-by a few blocks away)." Of course, they didn't know about the drive-by. It seems most people around here don't pay much attention to the news. By the way, 1941, I'm part of the "right to bear arms" crowd. How else am I going to defend myself and my family if these lawbreakers decide to point their guns in my direction? My caveat being, the right to bear LEGAL arms.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/24/09 - 06:23 am
Thank you Eyore.

Thank you Eyore.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 05/24/09 - 06:29 am
I'm going to put a sign up in

I'm going to put a sign up in my yard that says: "My next door neighbor is against the right to bear arms. THAT MEANS THERE ARE NO GUNS IN HIS HOUSE. And I will respect his opinion by NOT protecting him with MY guns!" Somebody sent that to me in an e-mail and I thought it was great.

Eyore
Eyore 05/24/09 - 06:33 am
You are both forgetting that

You are both forgetting that it's not the thugs fault, they are simply a victim of society. It's all the fault of the evil guns.

christian134
christian134 05/24/09 - 07:38 am
Good morning boys and

Good morning boys and girls...:-) Ya'll have a great day...Just a remark on the evilness of guns...One question...Would this be the same as the "wicked evil trees" that were executed along the I-20 corridor?...:-)

George30909
George30909 05/24/09 - 08:09 am
To the 3rd Ranter about

To the 3rd Ranter about finances and the Obama Plan. What else can you expect from the Democratic Party of today. In 1944 a presidental candidate of the socialist party stated they he no longer had to run because the Democrat Party had adopted the Socialist/Communist Platform. The One Huge Difference on the Economy between Democracy and Socialism/Communism is a Democracy says that the Money belongs in the hands of the people not in the all powerful, all knowing State. In Socialism/Communism, the Money belongs in the Hands of the All Powerful, All Knowing State not the People. So in Short until we get the Democratic/Socialist/Communist Party out of Power, you can expect nothing Less. ENJOY

Tots
Tots 05/24/09 - 08:10 am
To the person saying kids

To the person saying kids dont take responsibility.Some adults are just as bad.Like the adults at the Pepperidge red light who threw their trash out the window.Three cars sitting behind them and they did not care.

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 05/24/09 - 09:05 am
Good Morning To All Of The

Good Morning To All Of The Gang, nomoreglowintatas, Nammy!, RocknRoll, KSL, Trouble, Rolling Eyes, PatriciaThomas, Nwr81, ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts, Kiddspur, I4PUTT, goBAMA09 ROLLTIDE, Fire n Ice, Baroness, jack, *hurlyburly11, GnipGnop, Lippy+2, Billy Idol, SargentMidTown, Bailmeout2, areyoukiddingme, Dukedirtbag, SIGHER, christian 134, corgimom, Converted Southerner, 44mag, bellm1965, APiratesLife4Me and Reality! NOW, All Of You, Have A Good Day!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 05/24/09 - 09:11 am
Here is a plan for the US to

Here is a plan for the US to keep it's Triple A credit rating. We take all money for foreign aid and apply it towards the national debt until it is paid off. We also require any US citizens and organizations that want to contribute to foreign aid or charity apply that money towards the national debt until it is paid off. This will do two things, 1) balance our budget, and 2) show the rest of the world for a short period of time what it would be like to be forever without the generosity of the American people.

hurlyburly11
hurlyburly11 05/24/09 - 09:23 am
LOL...baroness I would be

LOL...baroness I would be more apt to agree with you if this weather hasn't draggged on a bit long.....my daylillys look beautiful also....but the pool is just sitting there cold and empty....... : O )

hurlyburly11
hurlyburly11 05/24/09 - 09:24 am
ohhhh tujeez...I cooked my

ohhhh tujeez...I cooked my first "mess" of blue lake bush beans yesterday !!!!!..ok not really a "mess"..perhaps two servings....what constitutes a "mess" anyway?

hurlyburly11
hurlyburly11 05/24/09 - 09:43 am
A comment on rant # 2.....we

A comment on rant # 2.....we were at the brick park recently and the beer cans and fast food trash were evident everywhere.....why is it that humans are the only species that trash their environment?

mad_max
mad_max 05/24/09 - 09:44 am
Obama has read Hitler's

Obama has read Hitler's playbook. I am not saying Obama is Hitler. I am saying that he, like Hitler, has seized on a moment of fear and disillusionment in Amercica and is now putting on a full court press to consolidate his power over ALL things, eliminate his opposition and their means of communication, take control of the banks and money supply, dictate to industry, all while keeping his worshipers occupied by demonizing those pesky Jews....I mean conservatives. If it wasn't so heartbreaking to see the foundations of this country rippped apart in 5 months, it would almost seem comical. I gues it is what is to be expected when the demographics reach a point where the majority of people in this country either have been priviledged and never had to make a sacrifice or have been on welfare and government subsidy their entire life. Neither demographic understands that we can, and probably have, reached a point where your money will be worth nothing. No matter what you make, or what the government gives you, you will not be able to buy anything because the money will be worthless. And neither demographic comprehends our freedom is being legislated away daily at an alarming rate.

hurlyburly11
hurlyburly11 05/24/09 - 09:50 am
max...we who are aware

max...we who are aware know....but the sheeple are in control...lets hope it will not be too late when they wake up.............

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/24/09 - 10:07 am
Well, the Salutatorian's name

Well, the Salutatorian's name is spelled correctly under the online picture at least. Somebody must have noticed. Whoever noticed, thank you.

andywarhol
andywarhol 05/24/09 - 10:29 am
"FOR YOU PEOPLE who stop

"FOR YOU PEOPLE who stop behind other cars at four-way stop signs. You are still required to stop again after the car in front of you pulls away. Check the Georgia driver's manual or ask a law enforcement officer." If that car is one half to a full car length over the white line and I'm already at the white line why do I need to pull forward and stop again, when I'm already sitting where I should be and can see the intersection. I've had MPs tell me I "piggy backed" before, but I challenged them and succeeded. If I'm already stopped with my front tires at the line there is no where to pull forward and stop at when the other car goes, because I'm already there. DUH!

andywarhol
andywarhol 05/24/09 - 10:35 am
I love how no one has

I love how no one has anything to say about knife control when people are stabbed to death. Now lets use common sense. If there is a 100% gun confiscation tomorrow. All licensed and registered gun owners will lose their firearms. Guess who will still have guns?

Eyore
Eyore 05/24/09 - 10:59 am
Amen, andy.

Amen, andy.

imdstuf
imdstuf 05/24/09 - 11:12 am
I believe bullet trains

I believe bullet trains require a straight path. The roads to Atlanta and Savannah are not straight. Just to buy the land to build straight paths to either city would probably be problematic and costly. As for the pot holes around here...better get a lifetime alignment plan on your car. The roads around here are never gonna be great. When they do construction to make things "better" they make things much worse in the mean time. Obama is further from Hitler than George W. Bush and his enabling..I mean Patriot Act. The SEC did not work well watching over things because it was controlled by Republicans and neutered of being able to over see things properly. It sounds good to say no regulation, but that only works in a perfect world. Companies do not follow an honor system in real life. If not watched, they will cheat.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/24/09 - 11:54 am
This is a rave for the Aiken

This is a rave for the Aiken Community Playhouse and their production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat." I enjoyed it more than any play I have seen lately. If you have the time, it is well worth the money.