Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

IF CAL RIPKEN and his wealthy investors think a new downtown baseball park is such a great idea, let them pay for it. The Augusta businesses that are supposed to benefit can pay Ripken 50 percent of their increased revenue.

THIS IS A RANT for you drivers. When you get to a traffic light and you are supposed to turn left, you need to go ahead and turn. Quit talking on the cell phone, texting, applying makeup, and go. The light only stays green a certain amount of time, and we don't want to have to sit through the light to wait on you while you are sightseeing.

I LIKE OUR MAYOR, but he needs to start worrying about other things in Augusta besides a new baseball stadium. We need to fix the roads and we need to clean up the crime first. We also need to work to improve the schools. If he does all this for me, a citizen, then he can use my tax money to build as many stadiums as he wants.

MAYBE AREA BANKS should hire security guards to stay at the banks all day. That might cut down on bank robberies in Augusta and Aiken County.

THIS IS A BIG RAVE for whoever has slowed down the traffic on my residential block. I suspect it's sheriff's deputies who have been interfering with the local pharmaceutical trade. Good job!

THIS IS A RANT about Windsor Spring Road. Will Richmond County road maintenance please put a few more shovels full of asphalt in some of the holes. It would be a blessing and greatly appreciated. The people out here do pay taxes, and they do vote.

TODAY I RODE OUT 12th Street to MLK Jr. Boulevard and on to Gordon Highway. The roads were so rough I think I ruptured my spleen. Pave the roads!

THE POSTINGS OF county salaries helps those of us that work hard see that the ones that hardly work make more. Now maybe I will hardly work too and see if I get more money. It seems the less you do, the more you make. How ironic.

THE DEMOCRATS are haughty in victory and all of a sudden experts on all things political. They better realize that they are all riding the coattails of one charismatic smooth-talker, and when his popularity falters they will be stuck with their same old leadership: Pelosi, Reid, Frank, Clinton, etc.

"TURN LANES" on Horizon South Parkway could cost $250,000 to $350,000. Surely, with so much money, a few dozen turn lanes can be built. Then again, maybe they pave them with gold.

A JUICED UP baseball player, Manny Ramirez, holds some hitting records. Are the records legit if he was juiced up? Of course, not. Are any pro athletes truly good these days, or is it just dope?

Irish
Irish 05/17/09 - 06:38 pm
I watched the commencement

I watched the commencement address at Notre Dame. All I can say is Howdy Doody and his teleprompter can add tap dancing to their repertoire. I have never seen anyone dance around an issue the way he did. Double speak is something that comes naturally to him or to who ever is the real power behing the curtain. (That comes from the Wizard of Oz Idiotmess). Notre Dame means "OUR LADY" and it refers to Mary. Mother of us all and Jesus. What a hypocracy was made of that school today. The liberal spin Catholics are already out praising his willingness to meet opposition and talk. Not happening. Remeber his statement when he said We won Get over it.....Killing the unborn is still murder I don't care how you dress it up. Funny how those who seem to support abortion are having more illigitimate children and drawing more welfare than anyone else..If abortion is the will of the people why are so many children in poverty and squalor ? Choice. What choice does the child have.......Being Catholic today I am ashamed of the University of Notre Dame. I hope it's president is really proud of himself.....

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/17/09 - 06:42 pm
Thanks Irish. I'm hunting a

Thanks Irish. I'm hunting a blast from the past link, that might make you feel better.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/17/09 - 06:45 pm
This is the man who should,

This is the man who should, at the LEAST, be speaking at the commencement address, but instead he was arrested Friday for protesting Obama being invited there to speak at it and be honored at it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md2bf9DNVB4

KSL
KSL 05/17/09 - 06:53 pm
q2, I'm on your mind, am I? I

q2, I'm on your mind, am I? I certainly haven't been posting much. And I do know a lot. I would be most happy to be of assistance to Milton, if I can be.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/17/09 - 06:59 pm
Obama's speech is on this

Obama's speech is on this link. I'd rather listen to a speech and form my own conclusion than suffer listening to the commentators on the speech. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPQHQJbTEhg

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/17/09 - 07:09 pm
Invasions of privacy happen

Invasions of privacy happen every day. In this day and age, expect that it is going to happen, even if it isn't right. Mistakes happen, mix-ups occur, identities are stolen, people jump to wrong conclusions. Life is not fair. Not complaining, it just isn't.

workingmom
workingmom 05/17/09 - 07:27 pm
Hero, I can understand why

Hero, I can understand why the public might be interested in salaries of top positions such as superintendent or police chief. But just because someone has an interest or a tendency to be nosy, doesn't make it alright to publish names and salaries from principals and teachers on down to the schools' custodians. Why would one need to know what a teacher's or custodian's salary is unless they are applying for one of those positions? In that case, the HR department usually posts salaries for those positions. Like I said, I don't have a problem with posting the titles and positions, just the names and salaries. You are correct, Baroness, many things in this life aren't fair. In this case, the unfairness could easily be avoided by simply not publishing it in an online database.

used2Bjonny
used2Bjonny 05/17/09 - 07:32 pm
Gosh, I just cannot imagine

Gosh, I just cannot imagine why people generally think that Republicans are better on defense issues than are Democrats. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Republican, I'm just confused. I mean, here's Joe Biden, PROVING that he has a great deal of classified information, right at his fingertips... http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/17/oops-biden-reveals-location-s...

used2Bjonny
used2Bjonny 05/17/09 - 07:34 pm
And, boy am I glad we finally

And, boy am I glad we finally got those other guys out of the White House. I mean, let's face it, Bush is as dumb as a stump, and Rove is a wicked, wicked man. They played out their personal vendettas against private citizens for everyone to see, in front of crowds of sympathetic listeners who could be counted on to laugh it up while these borderline fascists laid into people who don't believe the same way they do http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2009/05/16/obamas_top_advisor_sug...

used2Bjonny
used2Bjonny 05/17/09 - 07:37 pm
Oh, wait, that's right...that

Oh, wait, that's right...that poor girl DOES have the same view of gay marriage that Obama does...that Kerry does...that BOTH Clintons do...hmmm...tell me again why Axelrod, just moments after making a homoerotic joke about himself and Obama (I'm not kidding, read the transcript) would go to town on this girl whose opinion of gay marriage is precisely the same as the president's? I mean, she's obviously not too bright, and she referred to marriage as we all understand it as "opposite" marriage, though that is probably a natural word to hit upon as the antonym for "same"... Had the disgusting little "man" asked her about "gay marriage," she could have just quoted a line from President Obama's stump speech...wait...is that a double entendre?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/17/09 - 08:04 pm
If the pay is as it should

If the pay is as it should be, publishing the each teacher's salary shouldn't be a problem.

workingmom
workingmom 05/17/09 - 08:24 pm
It's not a problem. It just

It's not a problem. It just shouldn't be anyone's business to look someone up by their name for the sole purpose of seeing how much their salary is. Why else would someone want or need to know this information? Give me a good reason.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/17/09 - 08:45 pm
I agree with you working mom,

I agree with you working mom, salaries should be printed, but not with peoples names. This is why I would never take a government job, besides I hate bureaucracy.

KSL
KSL 05/17/09 - 09:19 pm
I'm not so certain.

I'm not so certain. Government salaries are paid by tax dollars. Certainly when my husband was a public employee, his salary was public information. Why should school teachers be exempted? What do they want to hide? Don't want your income published, don't work for a government.

George30909
George30909 05/17/09 - 10:06 pm
I think it is Great that they

I think it is Great that they are posting the salaries as they have done. I think they should post SRS and Ft. Gordons they are just as much tax payer paid persons. The only thing negative that I have seen so far is the arrogant dumb azzed remarks in the rants and raves like today for example: "THE POSTINGS OF county salaries helps those of us that work hard see that the ones that hardly work make more. Now maybe I will hardly work too and see if I get more money. It seems the less you do, the more you make. How ironic" I hope the fool does what they are flapping their gums and saying and Get your smart azz fired.

George30909
George30909 05/17/09 - 10:13 pm
used2Bjonny Yes we got the

used2Bjonny Yes we got the dumb one out and put the dumber one in, so now it is like that movie dumb and dumber or maybe that should be dumb and just plain stupid

workingmom
workingmom 05/18/09 - 05:49 am
KSL, teachers have nothing to

KSL, teachers have nothing to hide. They have absolutely no control over their salaries as it is, unless they choose to take on additional responsibilities after school hours or return to school. It isn't as if one is secretly making more money than the others. No one has given a solid reason as to why the names should be attached to salaries. Just because it is a government job, doesn't give anyone the right to be nosy. As I stated before, if you are looking for employment, then look at the HR departments. Salaries are posted there, without specific names attached. Anyone who has a valid reason to look for a specific individual's income already has the authority to do a search into the background of that person.

1941
1941 05/18/09 - 06:08 am
#9; Do you go to bed with the

#9; Do you go to bed with the president on your mind, and wake up with him on your mind? Mabe you need to run for president in 2012, and see if you can become the forty-fith president.If you do not have what the president had[intellengence,] then don;t waste our time!!!

1941
1941 05/18/09 - 06:21 am
IRISH; Worry about the women

IRISH; Worry about the women in your life!Stop trying to tell other women what to do with their lifes.How many babies have you or your kind adopted? One day you are b----ing about unwed mothers, the next day you are b----ing about welfare mothers, make up your damn minds!Are you willing to have your taxes raised to take care of these babies that come in to this world? Hell No!The president said, find a way to take care of them when they come into the world!All you people want is to have something to b---h about! Shut up and go adopt some babies!!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/20/09 - 03:18 pm
If taxpayer dollars are

If taxpayer dollars are paying for teachers salaries, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be public record. Seems like it should be. However, posting them in a newspaper, seems unnecessarily intrusive to me, though. Bad form, at the least.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/20/09 - 03:23 pm
1941, I heard the president's

1941, I heard the president's speech, I didn't hear anything that sounded like that. People like Irish ARE the people that adopt babies. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of babies available to adopt, because THEY ARE BEING ABORTED.