Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

IF CAL RIPKEN and his wealthy investors think a new downtown baseball park is such a great idea, let them pay for it. The Augusta businesses that are supposed to benefit can pay Ripken 50 percent of their increased revenue.

THIS IS A RANT for you drivers. When you get to a traffic light and you are supposed to turn left, you need to go ahead and turn. Quit talking on the cell phone, texting, applying makeup, and go. The light only stays green a certain amount of time, and we don't want to have to sit through the light to wait on you while you are sightseeing.

I LIKE OUR MAYOR, but he needs to start worrying about other things in Augusta besides a new baseball stadium. We need to fix the roads and we need to clean up the crime first. We also need to work to improve the schools. If he does all this for me, a citizen, then he can use my tax money to build as many stadiums as he wants.

MAYBE AREA BANKS should hire security guards to stay at the banks all day. That might cut down on bank robberies in Augusta and Aiken County.

THIS IS A BIG RAVE for whoever has slowed down the traffic on my residential block. I suspect it's sheriff's deputies who have been interfering with the local pharmaceutical trade. Good job!

THIS IS A RANT about Windsor Spring Road. Will Richmond County road maintenance please put a few more shovels full of asphalt in some of the holes. It would be a blessing and greatly appreciated. The people out here do pay taxes, and they do vote.

TODAY I RODE OUT 12th Street to MLK Jr. Boulevard and on to Gordon Highway. The roads were so rough I think I ruptured my spleen. Pave the roads!

THE POSTINGS OF county salaries helps those of us that work hard see that the ones that hardly work make more. Now maybe I will hardly work too and see if I get more money. It seems the less you do, the more you make. How ironic.

THE DEMOCRATS are haughty in victory and all of a sudden experts on all things political. They better realize that they are all riding the coattails of one charismatic smooth-talker, and when his popularity falters they will be stuck with their same old leadership: Pelosi, Reid, Frank, Clinton, etc.

"TURN LANES" on Horizon South Parkway could cost $250,000 to $350,000. Surely, with so much money, a few dozen turn lanes can be built. Then again, maybe they pave them with gold.

A JUICED UP baseball player, Manny Ramirez, holds some hitting records. Are the records legit if he was juiced up? Of course, not. Are any pro athletes truly good these days, or is it just dope?

Q2
Q2 05/17/09 - 12:25 pm
milton, s/b rode.

milton, s/b rode.

Q2
Q2 05/17/09 - 12:27 pm
What's your business milton?

What's your business milton?

amazedbywhatiread
amazedbywhatiread 05/17/09 - 12:30 pm
I fail to understand the

I fail to understand the jealousy and lack of knowledge. The comment about county salaries shows the complete lack of knowledge about the field of teaching. Many of the people making the majority of the money are the administrators who do seem to do a lot less than the rest of the educator population. The bulk of work falls on the teachers - they now have to do all the discipline. I fail to understand this considering an assistant principal is getting paid pretty good to do this for them. Teachers are now secretaries (making copies, filling out paper work forms from Doctor's offices for ADHD, discipine forms, etc) social workers (reporting any signs of abuse), Charity workers (donating paper, pencils, crayons out of their own pocket), nurses (providing bandages), attending school to further their education at night, etc etc.... AND yes somewhere in between teaching the students all those standards. Things are not like the oldie days teachers are not sitting behind the desk while the stefford students sit, listen, and do everything they are told to do. If you want to gripe then do so about these salaries of sports figures. Now there is a job - bounce a ball make millions.

Q2
Q2 05/17/09 - 12:36 pm
It takes skill to dunk it

It takes skill to dunk it every time. Can you do that scooby? PS My nickname is scooby also.

amazedbywhatiread
amazedbywhatiread 05/17/09 - 12:38 pm
If any of you job bashers

If any of you job bashers like sports here are a couple of figures for you to chew on.
Kevin Garnett - $25 million NBA
Kobe Bryant - $21 milllion NBA
Chipper Jones - $10 million
Derek Lowe - $15 million
Peyton Manning - $18 million NFL
Now if there is anything to gripe about I think it is this display of how stupid we look when we begrudge someone with a college degree a measly paycheck of around $45,000. Yet someone can catch a ball, throw a ball, and dribble a ball making millions of dollars. Be resentful of THAT!

Q2
Q2 05/17/09 - 12:40 pm
Jealous? Actors, actresses,

Jealous? Actors, actresses, race car drivers, etc. make a lot of money for what they do.

amazedbywhatiread
amazedbywhatiread 05/17/09 - 12:41 pm
For a couple of million I

For a couple of million I would sure try to learn.

Nero
Nero 05/17/09 - 12:41 pm
So do hookers, drug dealers

So do hookers, drug dealers and ex-wives.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/17/09 - 12:41 pm
I am a consultant for

I am a consultant for developers, which not much is being developed these days.

Q2
Q2 05/17/09 - 12:43 pm
milton, I'm sure ksl knows

milton, I'm sure ksl knows something or someone connected to your industry. She thinks she knows everything anyway.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/17/09 - 12:44 pm
I agree with the Xwifes LMAO

I agree with the Xwifes LMAO

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/17/09 - 12:46 pm
No Augusta does not have the

No Augusta does not have the growth, and the developers and General Contractors around are not willing to pay for our services.

ITDoc
ITDoc 05/17/09 - 12:56 pm
Scoob: I am no more resentful

Scoob: I am no more resentful for those athletes than I am envious of those CEO's who've also spent years sharpening their skills to rise to the top of the heap. I am absolutely in step with your commentary and recognize the hypocrisy in calling for "CEO's" to sacrifice while allowing athletes and entertainers such high salaries when many sports franchises are losing money and to attend a pro game is out of the reach of many people's pocketbook.

ITDoc
ITDoc 05/17/09 - 12:58 pm
Sorry masochist. Get your

Sorry masochist. Get your abuse from someone else today.

workingmom
workingmom 05/17/09 - 01:03 pm
Posting salaries of county

Posting salaries of county employees could have been done without the names attached to the salaries. I see no good reason to post the names. In my opinion, that is an invasion of privacy.

Nero
Nero 05/17/09 - 01:19 pm
Well workingmom, imagine if

Well workingmom, imagine if you were Supt of Schools, Chief of Police or "Director of" whatever. Wouldn't that be discriminating against those in 1-deep and highly visible positions? Putting everybody under the same rules keeps it fair. That's just my opinion as well.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/17/09 - 01:21 pm
I can only speak of the Corp

I can only speak of the Corp Executives that I know, they work 16 hr days 7 days a week. They don't sit around flying on private jets enjoying the big life. Their life is their work, and flying around the country having sleepless nights is not fun. While, they are trying to figure out more ways to increase profitability or put out fires. Well i would rather put in my 40 hrs and go home and be with my family.

Nero
Nero 05/17/09 - 01:23 pm
milton - So now you agree

milton - So now you agree with me - thank you. You have helped explain those with minimal motivation who are content to be mired in the middle of the pack doing as little as possible to get by.

Nammy3
Nammy3 05/17/09 - 01:27 pm
Ah ha....

Ah ha....

Nammy3
Nammy3 05/17/09 - 01:28 pm
w00t! turn it! (':

w00t! turn it! (':

Nero
Nero 05/17/09 - 01:28 pm
w00t! finally

w00t! finally

Nammy3
Nammy3 05/17/09 - 01:29 pm
LOL now back to what I was

LOL now back to what I was doing.......lol

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/17/09 - 01:39 pm
I agree with you, but i am

I agree with you, but i am not one of those who does very little to get by. There is a balance that people have to chose between work and family life, and what one wants out of life. I had a lower management job making a salary and after working 70 hours a week to meet the goals and no over time pay. I was not really being paid what I was worth. I just learned to work smarter with less effort. Now when I seek employment I look for employers who don't care how many hours are worked, but if the work is performed. Probably won't be easy now with the economic down turn. I might be hitting a time clock soon and starting all over again.

Nero
Nero 05/17/09 - 01:43 pm
milton - That is something

milton - That is something everybody needs to decide for themselves. Good luck. I set a goal and retired at age 42....I never had a chance to enjoy a 40-hour work week to achieve that.

ITDoc
ITDoc 05/17/09 - 03:35 pm
Having spent 20 yrs working

Having spent 20 yrs working 60-100 hours a week, even as an executive, I retired before age 40. I don't regret the sacrifice, for excessive rewards demand excessive sacrifice. Now, I work when the pay is worth the time spent. I do not work for any hourly rates, strictly flat fees. If they don't wish to pay what my work demands, I'm content to engage the minds on this and many other threads while my money works for me. What works for you is only your own business and needs not be justified to any but yourself.

jack
jack 05/17/09 - 04:21 pm
ColCamp, in the forst place,

ColCamp, in the forst place, Plame had a desk jockey at the CIA for several years, thus not covered by the law on "outing" (compromising). Secondly, I am MORE outraged by the publication of TOP SECRET defense information by the clueless empty suit you and your ilk elected. G'Day to all you lovely birds and crusty ole blokes.

inkpup
inkpup 05/17/09 - 04:23 pm
David Feherty shouldn't have

David Feherty shouldn't have apologized.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/17/09 - 04:32 pm
Another shooting, Odell Weeks

Another shooting, Odell Weeks Activity Center...

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/17/09 - 04:45 pm
Rave for Norma! According to

Rave for Norma! According to an AP article: "Norma McCorvey, the plaintiff identified as "Roe" in the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion. She now opposes abortion and joined more than 300 anti-abortion demonstrators at the school's front gate." The school, of course, is Notre Dame, where Obama was giving the commencement address. Glad to see Norma is back in the public eye trying to undo some of the damage of Roe vs. Wade. Alan Keyes was arrested Friday protesting the same thing. I am so proud of them.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 05/17/09 - 06:59 pm
Tip: If you have kids, keep

Tip: If you have kids, keep your weather alert radio somewhere you can check on it regularly. Kids tend to unplug the thing when they forget how to turn it off and sometimes forget to tell you it went off while you were out. Next thing you know, there is a storm on top of you and you never got the alert, because even the backup battery is dead.

Gold Cross wins in city appeal of zone award

In an order filed this week, Judge J. Carlisle Overstreet upheld the Georgia Department of Public Health's decision last year to affirm the Region 6 EMS Council's earlier award of the Augusta EMS ...