Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

IF CAL RIPKEN and his wealthy investors think a new downtown baseball park is such a great idea, let them pay for it. The Augusta businesses that are supposed to benefit can pay Ripken 50 percent of their increased revenue.

THIS IS A RANT for you drivers. When you get to a traffic light and you are supposed to turn left, you need to go ahead and turn. Quit talking on the cell phone, texting, applying makeup, and go. The light only stays green a certain amount of time, and we don't want to have to sit through the light to wait on you while you are sightseeing.

I LIKE OUR MAYOR, but he needs to start worrying about other things in Augusta besides a new baseball stadium. We need to fix the roads and we need to clean up the crime first. We also need to work to improve the schools. If he does all this for me, a citizen, then he can use my tax money to build as many stadiums as he wants.

MAYBE AREA BANKS should hire security guards to stay at the banks all day. That might cut down on bank robberies in Augusta and Aiken County.

THIS IS A BIG RAVE for whoever has slowed down the traffic on my residential block. I suspect it's sheriff's deputies who have been interfering with the local pharmaceutical trade. Good job!

THIS IS A RANT about Windsor Spring Road. Will Richmond County road maintenance please put a few more shovels full of asphalt in some of the holes. It would be a blessing and greatly appreciated. The people out here do pay taxes, and they do vote.

TODAY I RODE OUT 12th Street to MLK Jr. Boulevard and on to Gordon Highway. The roads were so rough I think I ruptured my spleen. Pave the roads!

THE POSTINGS OF county salaries helps those of us that work hard see that the ones that hardly work make more. Now maybe I will hardly work too and see if I get more money. It seems the less you do, the more you make. How ironic.

THE DEMOCRATS are haughty in victory and all of a sudden experts on all things political. They better realize that they are all riding the coattails of one charismatic smooth-talker, and when his popularity falters they will be stuck with their same old leadership: Pelosi, Reid, Frank, Clinton, etc.

"TURN LANES" on Horizon South Parkway could cost $250,000 to $350,000. Surely, with so much money, a few dozen turn lanes can be built. Then again, maybe they pave them with gold.

A JUICED UP baseball player, Manny Ramirez, holds some hitting records. Are the records legit if he was juiced up? Of course, not. Are any pro athletes truly good these days, or is it just dope?

Nero
Nero 05/17/09 - 03:33 am
Three cheers for

Three cheers for 33333333333333333's! w00t!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 05/17/09 - 06:07 am
"The vice president,

"The vice president, well-known for his verbal gaffes, confirms at a dinner the existence and location of a secret hidden bunker that is designed to protect the vice-President and which Cheney is believed to have used after the 9/11 attacks." - This man is an idiot and so is the person who put him in this position.

TroubIe
TroubIe 05/17/09 - 06:26 am
morning all

morning all

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/17/09 - 07:17 am
County Salaries.... Work less

County Salaries.... Work less and get paid more sounds like someone is smarter than you.

colcamp1
colcamp1 05/17/09 - 07:22 am
I thought everyone knew the "

I thought everyone knew the " Secret location" of this bunker. It is not the only location, just one of several that in recent years have been mentioned. Funny that you are upset about this, but not the outing of a C.I.A. employee. Now isn't FOX NEWS a great and unbias reporting agency?

Jsquared
Jsquared 05/17/09 - 07:55 am
Good Morning Nammy, what

Good Morning Nammy, what timing you had this morning.....Hope everyone has a great and fantastic Sunday. Lets ask mother nature nicely if she will pleas keep the rain to a minimum this evening, I want to grill some hamburgers and they get too soggy when it rains..

christian134
christian134 05/17/09 - 08:06 am
The Shame of the Century

The Shame of the Century Award goes out to Obama as well as his bag of cohorts who would allow the arrest of a Priest and others just because he "Obama" wants to speak somewhere he is not wanted...This man needs to be run out on a rail as well as Pelosi and Clinton, who by the way, are calling the shots...

Boston93
Boston93 05/17/09 - 08:07 am
Condolences to our Mayor on

Condolences to our Mayor on the loss of his father. His father was a well respected person in the CSRA and State. Read his Obit and see how involved Bill was in our Community. He will be missed by many.

Nammy3
Nammy3 05/17/09 - 08:13 am
Good morning Tujeez,

Good morning Tujeez, RocknRoll, Nero, Jsquared and ya'll! Have a great day! (w00t! w00t! w00t!) Jsq--good morning back @ cha!--wuddn't me...but thanks for playing...lol. (Took 'em so long to get it up, I fell asleep!) (':

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 05/17/09 - 09:17 am
Good Morning To All Of The

Good Morning To All Of The Gang, nomoreglowintatas, Nammy!, RocknRoll, KSL, Trouble, Rolling Eyes, PatriciaThomas, Nwr81, ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts, Kiddspur, I4PUTT, goBAMA09 ROLLTIDE, Fire n Ice, Baroness, jack, *hurlyburly11, GnipGnop, Lippy+2, Billy Idol, SargentMidTown, Bailmeout2, areyoukiddingme, Dukedirtbag, SIGHER, christian 134, corgimom, Converted Southerner, 44mag and bellm1965! NOW, All Of You, Have A Good Day!

uptheseventhplanet
uptheseventhplanet 05/17/09 - 10:24 am
milton1874 @ 7:17 If certain

milton1874 @ 7:17 If certain highly paid county employees spoke, acted, worked and taught as though they were smarter than a box of rocks the comparison of work vs. pay might not have been made.

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 05/17/09 - 10:30 am
Hey Nammy! , Nero, and Tujeez

Hey Nammy! , Nero, and Tujeez !!! Everybody have a great Sunday !!!

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/17/09 - 10:40 am
If someone can make more

Tots
Tots 05/17/09 - 10:48 am
We have alot of people

We have alot of people working for the county that have the book smarts.BUT if they fell into a bucket of crap head first they could'nt get out.Or as granny used to say they be book smart not street smart.

mad_max
mad_max 05/17/09 - 10:57 am
To the ranter about 12th St.

To the ranter about 12th St. You are correct. See Betty Beard for for some of her $750,000 Annual Blackmail Money. To the ranter about our Mayor's priorities. You are correct too. There are a lot of things, like paving roads and better police protection, which would produce immediate, noticeable results in the quality of life in RC. But our leadership seems to want focus on the "putting lipstick on a pig" approach by obligating the taxpayer for such projects as baseball stadiums and TEE centers in the hopes that they MIGHT be successful. They are just like the people on welfare who buy lottery tickets in the hopes of a big payoff instead of using their money to put food on the table and pay their bills. What do they care. When the project fails 6 or 8 years down the road and the taxpayer gets hung with the bill, they will be out of office and will not have to take the heat. Maybe these projects are worthy and maybe not. Put food on the table and pay your bills first. Manage the budget and show me a surplus first. Stop giving tax revenue to ONE commissioner for blackmail. Show me any indication our leaders know what they are doing FIRST. I haven't seen any sign of that yet.

Nero
Nero 05/17/09 - 11:08 am
milton - re: 10:40am. Ya

milton - re: 10:40am. Ya know, once in a while you come up with something I'd never considered. During my 30-plus years of continuous employment, never once did I aspire to find a job with less responsibility. You are helping me understand folks like you now. Thanks!

ITDoc
ITDoc 05/17/09 - 11:09 am
If someone can make more

If someone can make more money and do less work then they are smarter then those who work harder and make less. If I were offered a job that paid more and had less responsibility I would take it. Posted by milton1874 on Sun May 17, 2009 10:40 AM ... Jobs like you mention are not offered, they must be created. I work less than 40 hours a week and make much more than people doing the same work in other situations. What makes it possible? I am self employed, set my prices, and demand they are met. It's the quality of my work, the quality of my reputation for excellence, and the feedback from EVERY customer which clearly states: "I've not ever met a tech like this one." Anyone can do what I have done, I am simply not that special.

ITDoc
ITDoc 05/17/09 - 11:12 am
Nero: I interpreted "less

Nero: I interpreted "less responsibility" as not having to report to a stuporvisor, not having to punch a clock, not having to support the weak pieces of crap who refuse to work as hard as I or receive "disability" simply because their knees refuse to support their morbid obesity.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/17/09 - 11:14 am
ITDOC understood my post!

ITDOC understood my post!

Nero
Nero 05/17/09 - 11:19 am
Doc - I think all those

Doc - I think all those things you just mentioned probably happen in the daily course of business with a County job.

Irish
Irish 05/17/09 - 11:23 am
I am still trying to make

I am still trying to make sense of the dealership closings. These people are not employees of the car manufactureres. They are independent small businesses ( I know howdy Doody hates those) who "PURCHASE" the autos from the manufacturers. If they don't buy them what is the purpose of "MAKING" them. Some one has to put them on the streets. You can't go to the factory and ask a uaw worker to bring one around for you. How does not allowing someone to buy your product save you money ? What is the next product off the line going to be ? A two seater than runs on steam ?

ITDoc
ITDoc 05/17/09 - 11:29 am
Doc - I think all those

Posted by Nero on Sun May 17, 2009 11:19 AM ... and man don't I hear about it every single day, lol.

Q2
Q2 05/17/09 - 11:53 am
You're special alright. A

You're special alright. A "special mechanic."

Q2
Q2 05/17/09 - 11:56 am
"I work for myself" =

"I work for myself" = unemployed, doing side/odd jobs.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/17/09 - 12:07 pm
Q2 believe it or not their

Q2 believe it or not their are successful people who work from their homes.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/17/09 - 12:08 pm
I wish I was mechanically

I wish I was mechanically inclined, I know professional mechanics that make over 6 figures if you include the side work they perform. Cash jobs that are tax free and unreported to the government.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/17/09 - 12:16 pm
Nero, I had to work hard to

Nero, I had to work hard to obtain my knowledge, and now I am paid based on my knowledge and not my hard work. FYI so you will feel better I have an information manager that proof reads my reports, before they are distributed to my clients. Although the bubble I road has busted, and companies are cutting back on our services. I work only one day a week, but I still make more than what GA pays in unemployment.

Nero
Nero 05/17/09 - 12:18 pm
milton - I never asked about

milton - I never asked about your business. I made a comment about avoiding positions that came with increased responsibilities regardless of compensation. I'm not one to avoid problems and challenges. I have enough confidence to believe I might be the one that is able to solve them.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 05/17/09 - 12:22 pm
Nero well you misunderstood

Nero well you misunderstood my post and stereotyped me. I just wanted to ease your mind.

Q2
Q2 05/17/09 - 12:23 pm
Me too Milton. I make triple

Me too Milton. I make triple what these guys make.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.