Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

A HUGE RANT to these impatient, selfish people that expect the office of the president to cure all their woes in four months. Get a life and try to help yourself. We live in a democracy. Taxes make the country run. I don't see anyone demonstrating about starving people or fifth-graders that can't read or do math because of lazy parents.

RANT TO Commissioner Betty Beard, who represents the Harrisburg area. Look at the work you did on Laney-Walker. Why can't you invest in the Harrisburg section? Street lights on Crawford Avenue and Eve Street (like the ones that line Laney-Walker) would help this neighborhood greatly. These two streets go from Walton Way down to Broad Street, where the Kroc Center is to be built, and the lights would make a big statement.

OUR PRESIDENT goes before Europeans and now Latin Americans and blames the U.S. for most of the ills of the world and then promises "new growth funds" (with U.S. tax dollars). His new friends Castro, Chavez and Ortega are long-time socialists and can teach him much -- he did say, "I have a lot to learn."

THIS IS A HUGE rave to the nice ladies who work at the Motor Vehicle Department down on Laney-Walker Boulevard. I had to go down there to get plates for my car, and they were wonderful. They were very pleasant and took care of me in a very timely manner. Keep up the good work.

TO UNEDUCATED PEOPLE trying to jump on Obama for paying respects to leaders of other countries: Study cultures and psychology. The latter will show you that Obama is not kowtowing to anyone, but merely paying respect and showing proper diplomacy and courtesy to leaders of other countries. There is nothing wrong with that.

ELECTED REPUBLICANS and young Republicans are still tongue-tied over the immensity of what transpired in the November election.

I WOULD LIKE to give a big rave to the Georgia State Patrol for helping out with The Best Dam bicycle ride on Sunday. They were there watching the motorists while over 300 bicyclists rode 60 to 100 miles around Clarks Hill. And I might add they stopped several motorists who did not yield to the bicyclists.

DEKE, YOU'RE jeopardizing this city's financial future for a minor league team that already has a perfectly good stadium. Is Cal Ripken threatening to move the team if he doesn't get a new stadium? Ask the taxpayers, Deke. They're the ones that put you in office. The way you are taking the choice away from us is wrong.

A RAVE TO Matthew (our newspaper carrier) for the note he left in our paper regarding our Sunday delivery. Thanks for showing that you cared!

APiratesLife4Me
APiratesLife4Me 04/23/09 - 01:36 am
Arrrrggggggg

Arrrrggggggg

g-dog express
g-dog express 04/23/09 - 03:18 am
Can't sleep only to read this

Can't sleep only to read this drivel. I'm willing to give Obama a chance but it is a huge concern to me that he has spent more money that all of the other presidents combined in 4 months. How is he going to pay for that? By raising yours and my taxes; that will pass to our children and grandchildren. Plus it causes me a little concern that he is talking to Castro and Chavez but I will give him a chance to see where it goes.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 04/23/09 - 04:08 am
I recently asked my friend's

I recently asked my friend's little girl what she wanted to be when she grows up. She said she wanted to be President one day.

Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, 'If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?'

She replied, 'I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people.'

Her parents beamed.

'Wow....what a worthy goal.' I told her, 'But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and sweep my yard, and I'll pay you $50. Then I'll take you over to the grocery store, where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house.'

She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, 'Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?'

I said, 'Welcome to the Republican Party.'

Her parents aren't speaking to me anymore.

NEone
NEone 04/23/09 - 04:11 am
Asitis: Love it!

Asitis: Love it!

pthsssh
pthsssh 04/23/09 - 04:20 am
A thought for the day:

A thought for the day: Douglas Adams observed, "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be." G'mornin, Nammy, RnR, Asitis!!! and all y'all. w00t!

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 04/23/09 - 04:50 am
Morning Nammy, Tujeez, PTHS

Morning Nammy, Tujeez, PTHS and to everybody !! Have a good day !!!!! wOOt !!

3headedbeast
3headedbeast 04/23/09 - 05:51 am
The Republican Party have

The Republican Party have brain-washed these simple-minded humans to believed they are so concerned with their grandchildren future they keep using the same run-on-sentence everytime the elephant talks about President Obama budget.This Republican Party put you in mind of a cult leader who have led their supporter to believed suicide is the right thing to do.First they kept the nation safe and now their grandchildren future is in trouble because our president spending budget if you repeat the same slogan everytime you protest the president spending budget you are worse off than a one-eyed dog in a fight tied to a tree.I am glad President Obama don't speak in complete sentence during a interview and to the Tea Party your next tax event need to be held at Stone Mountain,Georgia the old Klans stumping ground.

pthsssh
pthsssh 04/23/09 - 06:06 am
3head - Thank you for being a

3head - Thank you for being a posterboy of an Obama supporter with that post. It shows everybody the intellectual and education level of a typical fan of the messiah. I know that post has to be a put-on, but I'll play along.

shaglorious
shaglorious 04/23/09 - 06:29 am
PTHS, I am beginning to think

PTHS, I am beginning to think there are several people on this website that are hoodwinking us! I read some of the posts and I think to myself "no one can be that stupid". Some of them are regular posters.

pthsssh
pthsssh 04/23/09 - 06:33 am
shag - Perzactly! G'mornin.

shag - Perzactly! G'mornin. However, I can assure you that Rose and RCR are not pretending, they really are. What you see is what you get. I give them props for that.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/23/09 - 06:36 am
No Shag, each day of my life

No Shag, each day of my life with public contact forces me to admit that there are people who are just that ignorant out there, and due to relations or blackmail some are in positions of power. Remember this,"No matter where you go, There you are!".

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/23/09 - 06:38 am
As a fellow poet and great

As a fellow poet and great American once said, " There are sphincter muscles and normal people, and unfortunately, we've been infiltrated!"

pthsssh
pthsssh 04/23/09 - 06:39 am
CBBP - G'mornin! Don't forget

CBBP - G'mornin! Don't forget "And they walk among us"

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/23/09 - 06:42 am
You Sir, are correct, and as

You Sir, are correct, and as such have won the cement bicycle!

TechLover
TechLover 04/23/09 - 06:44 am
g-dog: Which one of the right

g-dog: Which one of the right wing radioheads came up wiih the crap about Obama spending more money than all the Presidents put together ( it's gone from in 60 days to 90 days to 4 months)? It's a non fact, it's hogwash, it's bull, it's a lie. Bush's budgets totaled over $20 trillion dollars. The 2010 budget is $3.6 trillion. A few clicks and ya'll (you are at least the 4th person to make this claim on these posts) could see the info you stated is bogus.

dhd1108
dhd1108 04/23/09 - 06:50 am
pretty lights in harrisburg?

pretty lights in harrisburg? a nice idea, but lipstick on a pig. I personally would rather have money spend on a sound barrier along the south side of the Calhoun expressway. or maybe both sides. it'd probably shut down that mom & pop store on broad st though. all those lazy people keep running across the expressway instead of walking a little bit more.

pthsssh
pthsssh 04/23/09 - 06:52 am
TechLover - Back for more,

TechLover - Back for more, huh? You don't come here for the hunting do you? Here is an excerpt from the Wall Street Journal article explaining the math you are incapable of doing. I'll put the link to the entire article at the end. Have a blissful day in kook-aid land -- "Mr. Obama's $3.6 trillion budget blueprint, by his own admission, redefines the role of government in our economy and society. The budget more than doubles the national debt held by the public, adding more to the debt than all previous presidents -- from George Washington to George W. Bush -- combined. It reduces defense spending to a level not sustained since the dangerous days before World War II, while increasing nondefense spending (relative to GDP) to the highest level in U.S. history. And it would raise taxes to historically high levels (again, relative to GDP). And all of this before addressing the impending explosion in Social Security and Medicare costs." Here is the link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123629969453946717.html

TechLover
TechLover 04/23/09 - 07:13 am
Wall St Journal, huh. Another

Wall St Journal, huh. Another "Fair and Balanced" weapon in Murdoch's arsenal. Interesting how $3.6 trillion (which is not all deficit spending) can double the over $11 trillion dollar debt that existed when Obama was sworn in. Surely even you can do the math.

pthsssh
pthsssh 04/23/09 - 07:14 am
"A stupid man's report of

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand." - Bertrand Russell

TechLover
TechLover 04/23/09 - 07:31 am
"Stupid is as stupid does".

"Stupid is as stupid does". Forrest Gump. Sorry the numbers don't add up to your claims. Stop doing stupid.

pthsssh
pthsssh 04/23/09 - 07:34 am
TechLover - I've embarassed

TechLover - I've embarassed you enough for today. I'll see you again tomrorrow when I have 2 minutes to spare to disprove your nonsense.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 04/23/09 - 07:37 am
I cant figure out why Barry

I cant figure out why Barry is going around the world sucking up to dictators. This is a strange man, I hope is plan is to be a sly fox. I guess he wants to fooled the same way Bush was by Putin. Bush learned from his mistake. I hope BARRY learns from his own as they stab him and us in the backs. I guess the history lesson from after WWII how the Russians beat us out and fooled us, because of a naive president at the time.

momofthree
momofthree 04/23/09 - 07:38 am
PTHS, as always, your

PTHS, as always, your quote(s) of the day are amazing. G'mornin all, have a great day, off to work I go....

pthsssh
pthsssh 04/23/09 - 07:39 am
milton - Here ya go: "In

milton - Here ya go: "In America, there's a failure to appreciate Europe's leading role in the world." --
Barack Obama

justthefacts
21949
justthefacts 04/23/09 - 07:54 am
Europe's leading role? He

Europe's leading role? He said Muslims have done much over the centuries to shape the U.S. Huh?

pthsssh
pthsssh 04/23/09 - 07:59 am
jtf - G'mornin. I think it

jtf - G'mornin. I think it just depends on who he reading to at the time.

Grasshopper
Grasshopper 04/23/09 - 07:59 am
PTHS Why is he forming

PTHS Why is he forming relationships with our enemies and ignoring our true allies. In Turkey he made statements that supported the fundamental Muslim party, instead of the secular Muslim party. At first it was thought it was a gaffe and he got the two parties confused, but now its obvious who he was supporting. I am confused you first build alliances with your allies then you goto your enemies. I guess the people voted for CHANGE and BARRY has given us change, but to what extent and to what sacra fices?

pthsssh
pthsssh 04/23/09 - 08:05 am
milton - I'll be the first

milton - I'll be the first one to say it's (Obama/Hillary foreign policy capitulations/miscalculations) a disaster. I can't explain it other than to say the big world isn't quite like the Chicago ghetto where he got his "diplomatic" experience. Every world leader he has talked to has punked him in public. In case you haven't read the international news today - Fidel Castro was the latest.

justthefacts
21949
justthefacts 04/23/09 - 08:10 am
milton, as PTHS says, it

milton, as PTHS says, it depends on the audience. In California, he laughs at people who cling to guns and religion. He is just the master of pandering to the audience. His need to be loved, I guess.

justthefacts
21949
justthefacts 04/23/09 - 08:17 am
Castro said Obama was

Castro said Obama was "superficial". Man, can't we all just get along?

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.