Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

TO HELP the graduation coaches, let's get some graduation cheerleaders. "Open your BOOKS, open your BOOKS, wid-ER, wid-ER."

THIS IS IN RESPONSE to the rant from the other day about elderly drivers needing their licenses taken away ... It is you young people who drive like bats out of torment!

A RANT TO P.O.S.T. and the state of Georgia for changing the state requirements to become a police officer. Now you have to pass a college placement test to even be hired by the sheriff's office. If we could pass college requirements, then we would be in a different job for better pay.

KUDOS TO THE Augusta Museum of History for its quality crowd-pleasing James Brown exhibit. Considering the success, I feel the city and other sources should help fund its next grand idea for an exhibit on other local celebrities.

NICE PICTURE OF THE Petersburg boat being hoisted by a crane out of the Augusta Canal "as part of preparation for the canal draining." But why pay for that? When the water drains out, the boats will settle to the bottom. When it refills, the boats will float up with the surface of the water. No costs for cranes, boat storage, other connected costs.

PLEASE BRING BACK THE Lockhorns , make the crossword puzzle smaller and below the fold (as it used to be), and enlarge Word Warp so that I can see the solution. Sometimes I cannot make out the answers even with a lighted magnifying glass.

A BIG RAVE FOR Dr. Broadwater and his nurse Robbie at Augusta Cardiology for being so nice and taking the time to answer all the questions about my husband's heart problem.

A RANT AND A RAVE for the Richmond County school board and Tubman Middle School eighth-graders attending Laney next year. It would have been nice to notify us before we read it in the newspaper. The rave is for Dr. Frazier; he has totally changed Tubman Middle to a school that I am proud my kids attend.

TELL OBAMA I WANT my check, also -- except I'm not a minority, so the chance of that happening are slim to none.

TO THE RANTER WHO wrote the Augusta Commission is "without question the dumbest group (he) has ever seen." Don't forget, there is always the U.S. Congress to consider.

FOR THE RANTER who urged Obama to keep hands off the Social Security trust fund: Hey, wake up! Your Social Security trust fund is gone!

I AGREE WITH Lowell Greenbaum. Let's support and cheer on the new president just like we did to President Bush!

Cheech1
Cheech1 02/05/09 - 04:20 am
At least the addition of

At least the addition of "Word Warp" gives that rant a new twist. It looks like ranter #3 will never get his shiny boots and tight pants....alas. G'mornin, namasta and all y'all!

brianw
brianw 02/05/09 - 04:31 am
Did the ranter about the

Did the ranter about the [filtered word]T's new requirements really say what I think he said...I want to be a deputy because I'm too stupid (or too lazy) to get a college degree?

atsugua13
atsugua13 02/05/09 - 04:42 am
Where are all the early

Where are all the early morning children...you know the ones who proudly announce Im first on here this a.m. and the ones who have to bow down to the regulars.....you know what I mean...

Concerned In Clearwater
Concerned In Clearwater 02/05/09 - 05:17 am
I am writing about a new

I am writing about a new business that recently opened in Clearwater, SC. It is located in the Old Dixie Lee. Carls BBQ is the business I am very concerned about. As a business owner I am aware of some of the problems Carl will face. The main problem I see now is his prices. I am writing because I hope someone that knows Carl and are close will share this rant. I didnt mention my concern to the owner because I felt he would not take my advice with the heart felt concern I intended. I am afraid if he doesnt adjust his prices he may not be open very long.

Nammy
Nammy 02/05/09 - 05:18 am
Good morning PTHS, Tujeez and

Good morning PTHS, Tujeez and ya'll. Have a great day. I see you hit it...barely! Sure took long enough to get it going this morning, huh? Way past my bedtime. Night. (':

Nammy
Nammy 02/05/09 - 05:20 am
And I should think that Carl

And I should think that Carl will learn from that experience then.

Cheech1
Cheech1 02/05/09 - 05:30 am
In these last few weeks that

In these last few weeks that the USA has a capitalist-based economy, the feedback from Carl's cash drawer and balance sheets should be self-critiquing. Quality BBQ is not cheap. I hope that is what he is offering and finds a niche of loyal customers.

brianw
brianw 02/05/09 - 05:33 am
Concerned - there is the

Concerned - there is the possibility he has set his price points to meet a certain margin to be profitable. One would think he did not come by his prices willy nilly, but instead he is accounting for an increase in wage expense (thanks to a mandatory raise to $7.25 per hour minimum wage) and increases in his cost of everything else due our economic situation. Just a thought. I could be wrong.

Reality
Reality 02/05/09 - 06:07 am
Maybe he is going after a

Maybe he is going after a clientele that doesn't snip coupons.....

Cheech1
Cheech1 02/05/09 - 06:10 am
Reality - Maybe he accepts

Reality - Maybe he accepts EBT cards.....G'day to ya!

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 02/05/09 - 06:10 am
Good Morning To All Of The

Good Morning To All Of The Mob, Glowndarktatas, *Namasta*, PTHS, ksl, Trouble, *Road Kill, Rolling Eyes, PatriciaThomas, Nwr81, ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts, Kiddspur, I4PUTT, goBAMA08 ROLLTIDE, Fire n Ice, Baroness, jack, *Karmakills123, GnipGnop, Lipstick, Billy Idol, SargentMidTown, Bailmeout2, areyoukiddingme, Dukedirtbag, SIGHER, Vertical2, christian 134, RockNRoll and corgimom! NOW, All Of You, Have A Good Day!

Reality
Reality 02/05/09 - 06:11 am
Please, don't buy American

Please, don't buy American products, we don't want to seem self reliant. I hope that the rest of the world only buys things produced in their country and don't affect our trade.......Oh wait a minute, they already do that, that's why we have a trade deficit........BUY AMERICAN OR BUY A PLANE TICKET.

Reality
Reality 02/05/09 - 06:12 am
Cheers mate........More

Cheers mate........More snow...

hossiv
hossiv 02/05/09 - 06:27 am
Yes, I agree with the last

Yes, I agree with the last R&R. We need to show the exact same support to Obama that was given to Bush!

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 02/05/09 - 06:31 am
What is a bat outta torment ?

What is a bat outta torment ?

Cheech1
Cheech1 02/05/09 - 06:33 am
RnR - A song by Meatloaf

RnR - A song by Meatloaf being described in a Unitarian Church sermon.

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 02/05/09 - 06:33 am
Good morning Tujeez, Namaste

Good morning Tujeez, Namaste and everyone else ! Have a safe, WARM day ...

Martinez
Martinez 02/05/09 - 06:40 am
Wow - The [filtered word]T. rant

Wow - The [filtered word]T. rant reiterates EXACTLY why the requirement needed to change. Do you want someone hired to serve and protect the community because that's what they want to do or because that's the only job they could get? And while there may be nothing learned in college that will make someone a better cop, the time spent working toward a goal will hopefully teach someone the increased self-discipline and maturity the job requires.

Cheech1
Cheech1 02/05/09 - 06:43 am
Martinez - The way I read it,

Martinez - The way I read it, all they wanted that fool to do was take a basic test that most kids can pass as HS juniors.

Martinez
Martinez 02/05/09 - 06:54 am
That same Ranter probably

That same Ranter probably criticizes every decision the cops make in the community. While not a great paying job, I personally want my police officers fully vested, not just tested, in to their career.

334 New Yorker
334 New Yorker 02/05/09 - 07:20 am
Rob Pearson find something

Rob Pearson find something else to cry about, I have a 20ft pontoon boat Parked on my yard

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 02/05/09 - 07:27 am
Obama this, Obama that. The

Obama this, Obama that. The majority of the people have spoken and could care less what the Augusta Chronicle Goose stepping gang think.

Cheech1
Cheech1 02/05/09 - 07:32 am
Hypo - That's because if they

Hypo - That's because if they were literate enough to read a newspaper, they would never have supported him. You wanna start this early? I'm ready - bring it on.

Trouble1
Trouble1 02/05/09 - 07:37 am
morning all

morning all

christian134
christian134 02/05/09 - 07:44 am
Good morning one and

Good morning one and all...:-) Ya'll have a safe day...

convertedsoutherner
convertedsoutherner 02/05/09 - 07:44 am
Inexperienced and unqualified

Inexperienced and unqualified barry hussein = bad choices, decisions and mistakes. And it's only his 3rd week. His favorability is dropping and will be equal to the dim controlled congress. Another appointee having problems. How many does this make now?

christian134
christian134 02/05/09 - 07:50 am
A little tee tiny suggestion

A little tee tiny suggestion to the ranter concerning the applicant having to take a college placement test as part of the hiring process for the Georgia State Police...Memorize Memorize and Memorize some more...That is all there is to it...It works...Don't give up...

christian134
christian134 02/05/09 - 07:54 am
Another Obama this and that

Another Obama this and that moment in time...His vetting process is not working out so well...:-)Media is in their glory...Only this time it is a belated swift kick in the backside against dishonesty...Oh well we are yet young in the upcoming 4 years...Not 8 people...

Tujeez1
Tujeez1 02/05/09 - 07:54 am
Hypo, If we're GOOSE

Hypo, If we're GOOSE STEPPING, It's to avoid all of the BS that your Puppet is Dropping as his Puppeteers Guide him on their Destruction Tour of our Porcelain Factory. If you like what he's doing, be a good little Commie and go buy some Chinese Junk at Wal-Mart, O.K.

jack234
jack234 02/05/09 - 08:01 am
Look like President Obama has

Look like President Obama has accomplished more in 12 days then the previous administration did in 8 years. Get ready for a very smooth ride. Tujeez: I want to have a good morning too. I need bi=partisan support also. HELLO! HELLO! HELLO!