Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Across the area

Co-director selected for SRS ecology lab

Plant ecophysiologist Ken McLeod has been appointed co-director of the Savannah River Ecology Laboratory, joining co-director Carl Bergmann, who was appointed director in January 2007.

The pair will direct the Savannah River Site laboratory's research and education missions. Their administrative roles will involve coordinating the research projects of faculty, technical staff and students at the lab.

Fort's provider settles trade violation case

A Texas company that held a contract to provide goods for the Army at Fort Gordon has agreed to pay $1.6 million concerning allegations it violated trade agreements.

U.S. Attorney Edmund A. Booth Jr. said Wednesday afternoon that Tifco Industries Inc. was cooperative in reaching a settlement with the government. The Houston-based company was accused of violating the Trade Agreements Act and the False Claims Act.

The settlement was reached before any lawsuit was filed, Mr. Booth said.

No criminal charges are involved.

Tifco's contract bars the company from providing goods made in non-designated countries, Mr. Booth said. In this case, some of the goods were made in China and Taiwan, he said.

The goods were basic items such as flashlights, screwdrivers and washing equipment. Mr. Booth said his office was notified by the Army criminal investigation command and the General Service Administration.

Men charged in fatal shooting of 19-year-old

Two Allendale County men have been arrested and charged in a murder last month, according to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division's Low Country Region.

Tyrell Damon Odoms, 20, and Laparis S. Flowers, 18, are accused of shooting 19-year-old Christopher Dorch on Jan. 17 in Blackville, S.C., in Barnwell County.

SLED agents say they believe the men approached Mr. Dorch in a convenience store parking lot and fired several shots at him.

Home robbery suspect sought in Waynesboro

Waynesboro police are searching for a suspect in the robbery of a home last month.

Police say Damien Chance, 20, robbed the home in the 900 block of Quaker Road Drive between Jan. 22 and 27 while the owner was at the hospital, Investigator Claude Wade said. DVD players, luggage, jewelry and a flat-screen TV were taken.

Burn patient is killed in ambulance wreck

LEXINGTON, S.C. --- A Joseph M. Still Burn Center patient has died after the ambulance he was in wrecked on Interstate 20 in central South Carolina.

State troopers say the ambulance ran off the right side of I-20 near the U.S. Highway 378 exit in Lexington County about 12:40 p.m. Tuesday, hitting a sign and a tree before going back across the highway and striking the concrete wall in the median.

Authorities say Richard Bryant, 51, of Stanley, N.C., died at a hospital, and the driver and a paramedic suffered minor injuries.

Comments (11)

pofwe
pofwe 02/05/09 - 07:42 am

I want to hear about what the

I want to hear about what the "LAW" will do to prosecute the "goof-ball," unqualified, derelict, that was driving this ambulance that caused this man's death. Not a word about what caused the accident tells me there was no reason for it to occur. If Richard Bryant was my relative I'd have a $10.00 lawyer all over this ... now. What were they thinking ... not about the road?

what
what 02/05/09 - 09:13 am

pofwe...."not a word about

pofwe...."not a word about what caused the accident" could be that they are still investigating the cause of the accident. Why jump to the conclusion that the driver was "unqualified and derelict"?

EMAGUY
EMAGUY 02/05/09 - 09:22 am

POFWE: Your statement

POFWE: Your statement indicates you jump to conclusions without any evidence to support your statement. What caused the accident? We don't know yet; the accident is still under investigation. When will we know what caused the accident? When the investigation is finished. Attacking the person behind the wheel without any idea of what occurred? Dumb! Take some ibuprofen to help with those sore muscles. Jumping to conclusions can be strenuous.

chey
chey 02/05/09 - 09:48 am

pofwe, you're assuming the

pofwe, you're assuming the driver is at fault. All to many times I've seen people speed in front of emergency vehicles, cut them off, and completely disregard them. There is not enough information in the article (not surprising for the chronicle) to conclude the driver was automatically at fault.

mar_1081
mar_1081 02/05/09 - 10:33 am

And that is what is wrong

And that is what is wrong with America! Lets sue everyone! Oh my, I just spilled coffee...I should sue. Wow, i took some non- FDA approved medicine....I should sue. Oh looky there, I put a finger in my own chili...I should sue.

pofwe
pofwe 02/05/09 - 10:37 am

Yeah, I guess I judge other

Yeah, I guess I judge other drivers by my own driving habits. I'll wait till the smoke clears but ... for an ambulance to leave the road is questionable. Oh yeah, emaguy! Shut your pie-hole boy. Calling people dumb could bring out a can of whip-a** in the real world! Get it?

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/05/09 - 10:45 am

" ran off the right side of

" ran off the right side of I-20 near the U.S. Highway 378 exit in Lexington County about 12:40 p.m" Could it possibly be because someone was going to miss their exit and cut in front of the ambulance. It's so easy to place blame before all the facts are known.

RU4Real
RU4Real 02/05/09 - 10:53 am

I just wonder why a patient

I just wonder why a patient from Augusta's Still Burn Center was riding around in an ambulance in Lexington County South Carolina. Is this some part of a recreation program? Was he going on a shopping trip? Since he lived in NC, did he have to return for business? Does medicare require you check in at your home state's office every so often? I mean if I were in the Burn Center, I don't think I would want to go for a ride. But sometimes the patient has no choice. Oh, could it be that he was released from the Burn Center and returning to his local hospital for follow up treatment, and to be closer to his family? Whatever reason for the trip, my condolences to the family as I know they have suffered, and now must greive.

Jim-bob
Jim-bob 02/05/09 - 10:54 am

19 year old killed in

19 year old killed in Blackville. Lets' riot.

sismel
sismel 02/05/09 - 01:39 pm

pofwe - "pie-hole"

pofwe - "pie-hole" definitely showes your immaturity. Sounds like something my 14 yr old brother use to say. Thankfully, he out grew childish talk.. guess you haven't.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 02/05/09 - 05:28 pm

Let's see, got cut off, blew

Let's see, got cut off, blew a tire, something flew in the window & hit him in the eye, thrown rock went through the windshield... I could go on but you get my point. Yep, definatley "goof ball", unqualified AND derelict. Did all that just come out of my "pie hole"? I can't believe I typed that out loud. I think I'll wait until the investigation is over to start calling names. My condolences to the family.

New chair gets vet off-road to fish

Army veteran Henry Kent's new Action Trackchair has attachments for fishing, with a holder for his fishing pole and a built-in tackle box, but others can be outfitted with gunracks for hunting.