Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

HERE'S AN IDEA for our financial problems in Augusta. If police would start writing tickets for people running red lights and not using their turn signals we would have a surplus in money.

WHY IS MY Richmond County elementary school so cold? We have not had heat all winter and not been given any explanation why.

BIG RAVE FOR the great folks at the Village Deli. One of their team members found my diamond bracelet that I had lost at lunch and turned it in to the owners, who locked it up in their safe until I could trace back my steps and determine where I lost it.

A BIG RAVE to University day surgery in Evans. What a nice surgery center. Thank you, Cheryl, the wonderful nurse who took care of me before my surgery. You made my pre-surgery wait so relaxing and comforting.

I'M THINKING ABOUT running for president in 2012. I don't have any political experience, but maybe I'll get voted in just because I'm Hispanic.

THE HIGHWAYS ARE the main line to and from work. Why are the highways all messed up? The people don't drive as though they have ever had a driver's license.

I HOPE THAT Georgia passes the bill allowing for the purchase of alcohol on Sundays. The tradition is ridiculous, and we need to get with the times.

RANT ABOUT anti-conservative political leanings in our government school systems. The day after the election, my daughter was informed that she was racist because she preferred McCain over Obama.

PERDUE PROPOSES EDUCATOR rewards? A truly good teacher will teach well whatever the salary because it's that teacher's ability and nature. Meanwhile, Perdue doesn't even want to reward the teachers; he wants to reward the admin people, the folks who lead in the downfall of American public education.

HAVE YOU NOTICED? All governments in America only talk about more spending, yet all governments in America are already flat broke.

ONCE THERE WAS a presidential "State of the Union" message. Then there were state versions called "state of the state" speeches. Then there were more and more, all of them being unnecessary except to make the speech-maker believe for a moment he is president. Now the chancellor of the Georgia University System gives his "annual state of the system address." What'll be next? State of the kindergarten address? State of the backyard address? State of the ego address?

Nammy
Nammy 01/20/09 - 12:54 am
w00t-you're early AC!! Kudos!

w00t-you're early AC!! Kudos! Morning pths, Tujeez and all ya'll. You got snow yet? Not here, so far. (': I can hope tho. Have a great day!

Nammy
Nammy 01/20/09 - 12:56 am
TURN up the heat RCES!! And

TURN up the heat RCES!! And they want to know why so many kids are sick every year? Jeez...

Nammy
Nammy 01/20/09 - 12:58 am
Are you an illegal hispanic?

Are you an illegal hispanic? If so, don't bother...

Nammy
Nammy 01/20/09 - 01:04 am
Mama (or Papa even)-tell your

Mama (or Papa even)-tell your daughter that it's people like that that we just ignore and for her to believe WHATEVER she wants to believe!

NEone
NEone 01/20/09 - 01:04 am
Namasta: Just b/c they are

Namasta: Just b/c they are Hispanic doesn't make them illegal. And will it matter anymore? After all, Obama (must we continue to bow down?) never did prove his birth was on US soil.

KSL
KSL 01/20/09 - 01:41 am
The problem with Obama's

The problem with Obama's claim to being a US citizen was not that he actually was a legal citizen according to the laws of our county. It was that the courts were saying that the people bring the case to them did not have the legal right to do so. It seems that there was a very large loophole. Who did have the right to bring the matter before them so that they could hear it? That is where the problem really lay. And that is why he never had to produce the evidence that he was legal.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/20/09 - 01:54 am
I think Obama made his case

I think Obama made his case for citizenship when he admitted his parents weren't married at the time of his birth. No matter where his unwed American mother was when he was delivered, all she needed to do was fill out a little paperwork to show his American citizenship. I don't think there is a time limit for when this paperwork needs to be filed. The phony Hawaiian birth certificate was a bad and unnecessary move on the part of Obama's p.r. department.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/20/09 - 01:57 am
The government is responsible

The government is responsible for the bad driving. According to the results of the last election, there is no personal responsibility anymore. "The times, they are a changin'..."

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/20/09 - 01:58 am
The last of the Carolina and

The last of the Carolina and Georgia blue laws are antiquated and unnecessary. There's no way they'll be repealed.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/20/09 - 02:00 am
If your daughter preferred

If your daughter preferred McCain over Obama, she IS racist. Skin color was the ONLY reason to vote for Obama.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/20/09 - 02:03 am
Initiating school vouchers

Initiating school vouchers will immediately lead to teacher incentive pay in all schools to keep the good teachers from transferring. It will also mean the end of teacher unions. ( I guess that explains why vouchers are having such a hard time)

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/20/09 - 02:05 am
No governments generate

No governments generate income! 100% of government money is from taxes and there is no incentive to control overspending, that's why all governments operate in the red.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/20/09 - 02:08 am
The State of the Union

The State of the Union address, the state of the state address, the state of the system address and the state of the city address are also intended to inform the public of the situation as it stands. Usually, the speeches are just a type of smoke enema with little meaning. If you don't like them, you can avoid listening to them and not miss anything of importance.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 01/20/09 - 02:44 am
Colin Powell voted for Obama

Colin Powell voted for Obama based on his skin color. He stated months before he announced his decision, that he would have a hard time explaining it to his grandsons if he didn't vote for a black president, since it was historically significant. So all his talk later, was just political posturing, he already had his mind made up during that earlier interview. Talk about taking the moral coward's way out. He would have set a far better example by NOT voting for him, to illustrate Martin Luther King, Jr.'s ideal of the content of character, not the color of skin. We will have other black candidates, (I hope so, anyway) of far better qualifications (that won't be too difficult). Meanwhile I will support Obama 100% as long as he doesn't do anything illegal or immoral to undermine his office. I want him to be a successful president, as another McCain voter told me recently. The crux will be what does it mean to be a successful President? There's the question.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 01/20/09 - 03:28 am
Well, today is the day that

Well, today is the day that everyone has been waiting for, some believing it to be a good day and others believing it to be a bad day. Regardless of your politics it is going to be an historic day, and as Americans we should all wish that our new President succeeds.

message
message 01/20/09 - 03:51 am
Yesterday,I was watching

Yesterday,I was watching local news on wrdw and they showed the house,inColumbia County, were bomb making materials were found after the home owner went to the hospital and said"a fire cracker exploded inside his hand".A news reporter was live on the scene an interviewed a neighbor who reside on the same street,in Columbia County,and asked him was he aware of explosive materials being made by his neighbor.His reply was"I knew the guy personaL and he was just experiment with explosive materials for a hobby". I guess its alright for white people to be ignorant.

constituent
constituent 01/20/09 - 04:03 am
Farewell Georgia W. Bush you

Farewell Georgia W. Bush you kept the nation safe and left the nation with the worst economic collapse and now you leaves with a"thankful heart"

SandyK2005
SandyK2005 01/20/09 - 04:05 am
What was it, one submitter???

What was it, one submitter??? AC, stop removing posts for saying "nuts", and start eyeballing what you're printing in the paper!! lololololol

Nammy
Nammy 01/20/09 - 04:20 am
Explain yourself woman..wth

Explain yourself woman..wth you talking about? I see no removals here. w00t!

KMAAC
KMAAC 01/20/09 - 04:20 am
The difference is that when

The difference is that when white folks show their hineys and do something stupid like this it makes the news. I don't know about y'all, but I'm just tingly all over thinking about this historic day! GoBama! Woohoo! (Okay, I'm actually playing American Pie and singing along) G'morning namasta, and all y'all. p.s. Remember, go early - go often if you are in DC!

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 01/20/09 - 04:44 am
Good morning everyone,,, :)

Good morning everyone,,, :)

many666legion
many666legion 01/20/09 - 04:52 am
President Barack Obama get

President Barack Obama get ready for a show down with Congress because their will be alot of stumbling blocks in your way of your vision especially them filibuster Republicans

Nammy
Nammy 01/20/09 - 05:00 am
Only that can save us

Only that can save us now...lol.

rbk
rbk 01/20/09 - 05:00 am
PT, I grew up on the IL-WI

PT, I grew up on the IL-WI border in the 40's & 50's (Freeport). Where did you live there?

Martinez
Martinez 01/20/09 - 05:43 am
OMG - The claim that BO's

OMG - The claim that BO's birth certificate was fake is a lame attempt to rehash an inaccuracy congured up to try to disqualify him long before the primaries. In a few hours, he will be president. Choke down those sour grapes and at least try to enjoy this historic event.

pops1
pops1 01/20/09 - 05:47 am
I will vote for you...legal

I will vote for you...legal or not. I guess it would just wait to be proven once you are in office. hahahahahahaah
I am hispanic too...that is why I would vote for you.

KMAAC
KMAAC 01/20/09 - 05:51 am
The gloves come off at high

The gloves come off at high noon - y'all ain't seen nothing yet. It's gonna make the way President Bush was commented on seem like a romantic honeymoon.

_White_Trash
_White_Trash 01/20/09 - 05:53 am
Good Morning Awguster

Good Morning Awguster

Martinez
Martinez 01/20/09 - 05:55 am
Oh yes PTHS - because surely

Oh yes PTHS - because surely the nation will go to hell the minute he takes oath. BTW - the same jack azz who made the birth certificate claim against BO also attempted to have McCain disqualified for being born in the Panama Canal. TG the Supreme Court didn't get sucked into either. The last thing I want is another election decided by the Supreme Court.

pops1
pops1 01/20/09 - 05:55 am
A run for presidency is just

A run for presidency is just a publice JOB interview...You say whatever the boss wants to hear to get the job and once you are in you become "stupid".. Like oh my goodness...my experience is a little lacking in that department, who can teach me??
There is alot to be said about walking in another man's shoes.! yes this is history in the making only because of race...it would have been the same had it been gender. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, however, Obama has yet to proven ANYTHING. I hope he does..but it didn't take 1 or even 2 terms of presidency to bring this wonderful country to its knees..way before Bush. and it won't take 1 or even 2 terms for a "different" president to bring it back.

Kettle donations rise in 2014