Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers.

I AM A RETIRED Richmond County English teacher. No. 1, you can't teach students who don't want to learn. No. 2, you have to try to retrain the habits that they pick up at home. No. 3, the parents do not support you. No. 4, the school system refuses to let you fail these students. Now you know why I'm a retired teacher.

A RANT FOR Georgia Tech in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. They certainly look like the Ramblin' Wreck.

I JUST MOVED DOWN to the Olde Town area of Augusta a few months ago. It's a very pretty, beautiful neighborhood. If you could only do something about the panhandlers. You can't even take a walk in the morning or the afternoon without them worrying you to death.

RANT FOR YOUR so-called conservative newspaper. Instead of wishing people a happy new year on the front page of your paper, you chose to run a picture of that communist leader that they call a president that got elected on Nov. 4.

WHY DIDN'T THEY just shoot Justin Elmore's tires out?

A THANK-YOU TO Derek Brown. He helped assist two females on Dec. 30 who stalled their car out by the Augusta Mall.

A RAVE FOR THE CHRONICLE for the front page coverage of good news in the Dec. 22 paper. Thanks for the great coverage of the Bridge Ministry. It is wonderful to see the people being ministered to and now they are helping others.

NOT ALL ANGELS HAVE wings, but the young man who stopped and changed my tire (I'm an 82-year-old woman) on Marks Church Road certainly is an angel, and he has earned his wings.

A RANT TO THE declining morality of our country. The play and movie Mamma Mia! is essentially about a woman who has sex so frequently with different partners that she can't determine the father of her child. Yet we put it up for awards and accolades. What kind of example are we setting for our children?

I HAVE A RAVE FOR Officer Mike last night at the Bell who retrieved my purse and my keys I left in my car while I watched the Mamma Mia! show.

A HUGE THANK-YOU to Barney's Pharmacy. We can't possibly tell you what a compassionate group of family you are.

A GREAT, BIG RAVE for Georgia Rep. Ron Stephens of Savannah for wanting to raise the tobacco tax by $1. Besides discouraging kids from lighting up, it might also discourage some of the stinky, presently nicotine-addicted smokers from lighting up. I only wish stinking smokers could be taxed $5 a pack.

KMAAC
KMAAC 01/11/09 - 03:34 am
Jack# hack! Left your purse

Jack# hack! Left your purse AND keys? Wow! Good thing you remembered your admission tickets! G'mornin, namasta, and all y'all!

SandyK2005
SandyK2005 01/11/09 - 03:58 am
"I AM A RETIRED Richmond

"I AM A RETIRED Richmond County English teacher. No. 1, you can't teach students who don't want to learn." ---- Glad you're retired, because a teacher with that type of black and white thinking doesn't make a good EDUCATOR. Anyone is willing to learn, IF taught properly. Even those drug runners on the street corner learned how to run drugs, because it INTERESTS them. No wonder why our school system sucks, teachers expect robots for students, instead of adapting to the kids environment to teach at a level and pace that THEY can achieve. Homework for you, is to watch "Stand and Deliver" to actually learn something yourself. Here teach, is even a lesson plan..... http://www.teachwithmovies.org/guides/stand-and-deliver.html

Nammy
Nammy 01/11/09 - 04:12 am
Morning pths, Tujeez and

Morning pths, Tujeez and everyone...have a great day. I'm not touching any of that crap. (': Cool hack pths! Yeah, it just hit me.

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 01/11/09 - 04:16 am
Next time the fine officers

Next time the fine officers of RCSD have to make a split second life or death decision with a criminal, can we have your assurance that if they don't kill the felon he/she can come live with you for the next 50 years??

KMAAC
KMAAC 01/11/09 - 04:20 am
1 hour, namasta......

1 hour, namasta......

gamc30909
gamc30909 01/11/09 - 05:01 am
Sandy you must be a frigging

Sandy you must be a frigging IDIOT first class. When was the last time you went to a high school and saw a class? Most of the students are a disgrace to be called human. Creature would fit more appropriately. The Animals get no up bringing at home, the courts tie the schools hands from being about to correct. Hell rip their butts up with paddles like they did in my school days and you know what manners and listening is, and you learned well.

gamc30909
gamc30909 01/11/09 - 05:06 am
Shoot out tires you must be

Shoot out tires you must be kidding. That is one of the most dangerous things you can do. You have a bullet with a somewhat rounded nose. Hitting a rubber object that is inflated with 35psi or greater pressure, you can not make sure you are hitting that tire at a almost perfect 90 degree angle. YOU do it and catch the bullet, for it is no telling where the heck it is going, but the greatest chance it will not be in the tire. Shooting tires out with a pistol is television and movie junk. I will call Ronnie and have him call you in next time they need to shoot out a tire with a pistol it may put you out of our misery.

As It Is
As It Is 01/11/09 - 05:41 am
With the number of law

With the number of law enforcement experts and those trying to tell police officers how to do their job in this area it is amazing that the RCSO is short over 40 deputies currently. I doubt many deputies come in to your business and tell you how to do your job for which they have received no training. So, how exactly do you think you are qualified to tell them how to do their job? Do your really believe that watching Adam 12, TJ Hooker, Third Watch and/or The Shield has properly prepared you to give advice to an officer who has a suspect that he has been informed is driving a stolen vehicle, is armed, has just rammed a patrol car with a Deputy inside and is now heading towards him in an agressive manner to get away/run over him? A Deputy's job is to STOP criminals by using one level of force higher than the suspect. Fight with the police and be prepard for a baton, pepper spray or to be tazed. Pull our a knife and be prepared for the officer to draw his weapon. Agressively move towards an officer with a drawn weapon on you in any manner with any weapon from a knife to a gun or a vehicle and be perpared to meet your maker. The officer will shoot to STOP you at all costs.

SandyK2005
SandyK2005 01/11/09 - 05:49 am
"Most of the students are a

"Most of the students are a disgrace to be called human." ----- Only thing inhuman is a human regarding other humans less than human.

TechLover
TechLover 01/11/09 - 06:45 am
We still beat UGAly. And to

We still beat UGAly. And to the ranter about Mamma Mia. while I wouldn't be caught dead listening to ABBA music, I'm pretty sure they don't let you in without a ticket. Simple solution. DON"T GO! And I still think the guy was a criminal but can't you run a tag number to see if a vehicle is stolen?

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 01/11/09 - 06:45 am
I agree.. Sandy- YOU are an

I agree.. Sandy- YOU are an idiot!!! I wouldn't want to try and teach these sorry brats you people call kids now-a-days either!! As for the officer(s) that shot the hood rat that was trying to run them over... GOOD JOB!!!!! Too bad you all did not have some AK47's to finish the neighborhood. We could have used a team of bulldoziers to clean up that dump.

debby
debby 01/11/09 - 06:47 am
SandyK...I think you need to

SandyK...I think you need to spend a day in the classroom. I'll gladly let you come to class with me one day so you can get a dose of reality. Send me a PM.

SandyK2005
SandyK2005 01/11/09 - 06:48 am
"Do your really believe that

"Do your really believe that watching Adam 12, TJ Hooker, Third Watch and/or The Shield has properly prepared you to give advice to an officer" ------- The public wants peace officers, but they don't want thugs wearing a badge, either. There's a very fine line between being a cop and a crook. Both like power; both like their own authorities; both can be sociopathic. Having a police force is a new invention to humans as well, considering it never existed until the mid 19th century (folks were kept in line by knowing the gallows was their fate -- as you could've been hanged for even stealing. People didn't wax poetic about legalization of pot and stuff, such talk landed citizens in some nasty dank dungeon). So yes, the public will have a push and pull relationship with cops, as the cops have the same attitude to civilians (the keep quietness of officers who do turn bad, and the universal hatred of internal affairs --- Missed telling us about "The Onion Field"). The public knows this, which also keeps the tension high. As a famous spy once said, "Cowboys and Indians". Explains the tension to the letter.

SandyK2005
SandyK2005 01/11/09 - 07:14 am
"SandyK...I think you need to

"SandyK...I think you need to spend a day in the classroom. I'll gladly let you substitute for me one day so you can get a dose of reality." ----- What gives? Burn out? Culture clash? If teachers regard their students but animals, I don't worry about the kids, I worry about the teachers knowing better to not treat them as such. Kids read adults like an open book, come in with an attitude, they respond accordingly. Ying and Yang.

elliottness
elliottness 01/11/09 - 07:22 am
for those 2 arguing with me

for those 2 arguing with me about yesterdays article about the check cashing scheme using homeless people.neither of you clarified anything.i've cashed enough checks at enough banks to know, that your info must match to the t.whether you are a homeless vet or not,you still need a current address.so if they have an atlanta address how can they cash the check, because many banks won"t cash checks from other cities.also you not having an acct also is a red flag,and bank technology should kick those checks out as stolen as soon as they run them in those machines.to the teacher i agree 100% it's not your fault,if some of those kids succeed then you did your job.if ALL kids failed every class then it would be your fault.the achievers will always succeed the losers will just blame everyone else,like always.

SandyK2005
SandyK2005 01/11/09 - 07:22 am
"I agree.. Sandy- YOU are an

"I agree.. Sandy- YOU are an idiot!!!" ---- Are you yet another fine example of our area teachers? Or just another one of these ignorant backwater types, who believes living in the past? As you sure not interested in EDUCATION!

TechLover
TechLover 01/11/09 - 07:26 am
At least Sandy agrees with

At least Sandy agrees with you. Oops. I didn't see the quotation marks.

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 01/11/09 - 07:33 am
I JUST MOVED DOWN..,.Call the

I JUST MOVED DOWN..,.Call the Sheriff's Office 706-821-1110..that's their job, you call them & they will send someone there. They could be charged with vagrancy or pandering to name a couple.

Trouble1
Trouble1 01/11/09 - 07:40 am
morning all

morning all

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 01/11/09 - 07:40 am
WHY DIDN'T THEY...shoot his

WHY DIDN'T THEY...shoot his tires out? That does not stop a car, have you not ever watched Cops on TV & seen them run 80mph on flat tires? Where do people like you come from? Armchair quarterback, you & people like you have all the answers sitting there safely in your chair telling everyone how to do their job. Turn the volume up & get back to watching Oprah or Jerry Springer!

SandyK2005
SandyK2005 01/11/09 - 07:46 am
"Oops. I didn't see the

"Oops. I didn't see the quotation marks." ------ Observation pays! :)

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 01/11/09 - 07:50 am
It's pretty close to a clean

It's pretty close to a clean sweep that Sandy is an idiot.

SandyK2005
SandyK2005 01/11/09 - 07:52 am
"WHY DIDN'T THEY...shoot his

"WHY DIDN'T THEY...shoot his tires out?" ----- Because you guys will whine that the tires were shot out. Making that dude a martyr doesn't help the situation, especially how the community reacted, and even more after learning of that family's history from father onwards. Generational mischief and even murder. Classic propaganda used worldwide, find some type of scapegoat and exploit it --- instead of addressing the issue why there's a family with generational violence as their creed.

SandyK2005
SandyK2005 01/11/09 - 07:54 am
"It's pretty close to a clean

"It's pretty close to a clean sweep that Sandy is an idiot." ----- Coming from you, I actually take it as a compliment. Further away am I to your mindset, the better I am! Besides comments like this.... "I HAD a brother-in-law that WAS gay. Notice I said HAD and WAS" ..... you have your hands full anyway! :)

kiddspur
kiddspur 01/11/09 - 07:54 am
Good morning Augusta, see

Good morning Augusta, see that you rated a second RR column today and it is called SPECIAL -- Now that is strange, thought this site was special every day for those who like to comment, complain, brag and cry about anything and everything.-- Have a good day and remember this is the Lords Day!!

politicallyNcorrect1
politicallyNcorrect1 01/11/09 - 08:01 am
gamc30909..is right. Trying

gamc30909..is right. Trying to shoot out a tire is adding more danger to the lives of anyone in close vicinity. If your not shooting at the tire almost straight at it..the chances of the bullit
ricocheting are very high. If this happens that ricocheting bullit could cause the death of anyone in the surrounding area. Just like the cops had to shoot Elmore to keep him from harming anyone with his car. In return they could not risk anyone's life trying a hollywood stunt of shooting out the tires.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 01/11/09 - 08:04 am
Sandy it seems that you have

Sandy it seems that you have made it a fine art to take things and put them totally out of context to fit your purposes. You should work for the Communist News Network (CNN).

tabbit
tabbit 01/11/09 - 08:10 am
the person raving about the

the person raving about the new cigarrette tax must be an alcoholic i would rather pay more tax on beer and wine than cigarrettes and yes i am a smoker at least i don't get behind the wheel of a car after i've had a SCOIAL DRINK!!!!!!!!!!

TechLover
TechLover 01/11/09 - 08:11 am
More like the Faux News

More like the Faux News Network.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 01/11/09 - 08:11 am
Some people should not be

Some people should not be allowed to reproduce!