Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

THE NEW "Welcome to Augusta" sign by the flea market looks like a guillotine.

DISCONTINUE SATURDAY transit service? I say leave it running and start it back at 24 hours a day like they used to. How do they expect people who work afternoons and night shifts to get to and from their jobs? Most of these places are open 24 hours now.

I LIKE TO LISTEN to WJBF-TV, but one of the reporters on there wears a dress that is too low. She dresses real pretty, but I think she needs to cover up a little bit.

I JUST CAN'T understand why Clarks Hill Lake is being called Strom Thurmond Lake. After all, Strom Thurmond opposed the construction of that lake.

RAVE TO MCG'S Seven South unit. My husband was a patient there from Dec. 6 through 15. I remember James and Kim as especially wonderful, and even if I can't remember your name, I'll remember your faces and the excellent care that you gave.

IF YOU BELIEVE in global warming, step outside.

ANY GUN should be used for protection only, not for aggression.

RAVE FOR MY paper carrier Joyce that delivers on Highway 88. She is very prompt. Thank God for her.

THE COLISEUM AUTHORITY wasted so much money year after year, yet they wouldn't give a dime to save the Lynx.

TO THE IDIOTS THAT have so many negative things to say about Justin Elmore: How would you feel if it was one of your family members who was shot down by police? Remember, there are two sides to every story.

RANT FOR THE LADY who put a note on my father's car when he parked in an "expectant mothers" spot. For your information, I was with him. I'm nine months pregnant. He was parking there so I wouldn't have a long way to walk.

THIS IS A RAVE for Cindy Newsome in the housekeeping department at University Hospital. Thank you for being so kind to my parents when they were in the hospital.

icanusethat
icanusethat 01/05/09 - 01:39 am
Will find some to rant about

Will find some to rant about in the am i need to sleep first.

KMAAC
KMAAC 01/05/09 - 02:37 am
If Justin Elmore had been one

If Justin Elmore had been one of my family members, he would never have made it anywhere close to 23 years old. Does that answer your question? I'm only sorry it came down to a deputy having to do it.

gamc30909
gamc30909 01/05/09 - 03:04 am
Yes there are two sides to

Yes there are two sides to every story and in the case or Elmo. He has been writing his side for years. The RCSO finally wrote their side of the story and thankfully it was before I found out that Elmo had put drugs in the hands my Family.

gamc30909
gamc30909 01/05/09 - 03:05 am
DISCONTINUE SATURDAY transit

Get a Car

chad6401
chad6401 01/05/09 - 03:17 am
How do they intend to pay for

How do they intend to pay for the 24 hour service on the transit when it can barley sustain its self running the way it is now, I guess the same people running the transit system are the same one's running the arena Place an arena in the middle of town no parking High crime area and then expect good citizens to spend 20-60 dollars to attend an event there to find their cars have been broken into yep I want to attend a function there.

KMAAC
KMAAC 01/05/09 - 03:45 am
chad - BINGO! Spend your

chad - BINGO! Spend your winnings in CC please

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 01/05/09 - 04:12 am
I don't care what anyone else

I don't care what anyone else calls the lake. No one asked me if they could change the name, so I will always continue to call it
Clarks Hill Lake. Nuff said by me!

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 01/05/09 - 04:14 am
I am so glad Diane Ford is

I am so glad Diane Ford is out and New Changes can come to
Columbia County.

palomino9
palomino9 01/05/09 - 04:36 am
elmore was a thug

elmore was a thug

chad6401
chad6401 01/05/09 - 04:50 am
Augusta could be a place that

Augusta could be a place that the rich and famous would want to come and play year round but with the mentality of this town and the way they think it will never happen, One week a year some of the most powerful men in the US come here to relax and watch Golf, and yet Because of the small town mentality Augusta has will never see the potenial that is there.

Trouble1
Trouble1 01/05/09 - 05:35 am
morning all, if elmo had been

morning all, if elmo had been a member of my family, i would haxe simply thanked the cops.......

dade30906
dade30906 01/05/09 - 06:11 am
A rant for South Carolina

A rant for South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford for his unwillingness to accept federal money for unemployment benefits.No more publicity you idiot.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 01/05/09 - 07:06 am
chad you are so right!

chad you are so right!

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 01/05/09 - 07:08 am
Good Morning Awguster

Good Morning Awguster

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 01/05/09 - 07:10 am
Chad, overburdened, it may

Chad, overburdened, it may surprise you how many rich and famous people come into Awguster, play a round or to of golf, then leave with no fanfare. That is one of the main reasons the National is so exclusive.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 01/05/09 - 07:12 am
It is so easy to say what you

It is so easy to say what you would have done if Elmore was a family member, especially since he wasn't. Suffice it to say that the cops did their job when they should not have had to be put in the position to pull that trigger in the first place. Elmore was just selfish enough to place that on them. Cops are trained to "eliminate the threat" and that is just what they did. Now those cops have to live with the fact they had to kill someone even though they did what was right. Although it is a decision that I also know I could make it is not one that I would WANT to make.

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 01/05/09 - 07:13 am
WT - It doesn't surprise me.

WT - It doesn't surprise me. What Chad is trying to say, I think, is that these same people are in a position to do great things for Augusta but are probably put off by the politics of the area and are therefore happy just to come for the golf and leave the rest of it alone.

White_Trash1
White_Trash1 01/05/09 - 07:16 am
overburdened, you may be

overburdened, you may be correct..........Chad???

kiddspur
kiddspur 01/05/09 - 07:16 am
Good morning Augusta and

Good morning Augusta and America -- If it don't rain more soon they can call it a mud puddle and name it after who every they please. --

Martinez
Martinez 01/05/09 - 07:35 am
I will gladly apologize for

I will gladly apologize for any idiot who stated untrue negatives about Mr. Elmore right after the idiots who have tried to profess him a martyr finally admit he was in the wrong.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/05/09 - 07:38 am
If someone is chauffeuring

If someone is chauffeuring you, you can be dropped at the door of the store and the driver can use the common parking spots, saving the dedicated spots for expectant mothers traveling alone.

Chad
Chad 01/05/09 - 07:41 am
WT/ Overburdened said it

WT/ Overburdened said it right These people don't want to bring companies, and business here because of the way they may be treated plus look at the way Augusta looks, It just does not look inviting, WT your right they do come here and play at the national and then high tail it out of here. I have seen them many time loading and unloading the VLJ's and Corp Jets at Bush and daniel field.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/05/09 - 07:41 am
The Augusta Transit System

The Augusta Transit System may eventually be an aid to the city. Right now, it's strictly an entitlement program that subsidizes those unable or unwilling to obtain transportation for themselves. This group is a tiny percentage of the population.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 01/05/09 - 07:43 am
Or y'all should mind your own

Or y'all should mind your own business... they were parked there appropriately. Perhaps you busy-bodies should find something else to worry about.

Martinez
Martinez 01/05/09 - 07:44 am
OB, WT and Chad - Augusta

OB, WT and Chad - Augusta does absolutely have the potential to be a GREAT city but the old school resistent to change mentality of some won't allow that to happen. It starts with a vision though and much of the governing body in Augusta can't see past their own egos. Implementing stricter code enforcement and cleaning up the old dilapodated buildings, overrun properties, abandoned mobile homes etc. would go a long way toward the city's curb appeal but unfortunately the only focus spent on these things is once a year and on the direct routes to the National.

Martinez
Martinez 01/05/09 - 07:51 am
I personally don't know why

I personally don't know why expectant mothers need their own parking spots anyway. My doctor always told me to exercise while pregnant. Admittedly I would be annoyed if I saw a man by himself get in or out a car parked in the expectant parking spots. I seriously doubt anyone would get annoyed or go as far as to leave a note had they seen two people get in or out together with one being clearly pregnant or even female for that matter. It must have been one heck of a good note though to warrant so much complaining.

momma mia
momma mia 01/05/09 - 08:03 am
Do away with the expectant

Do away with the expectant mother spots. Pregnant women need exercise! When I was pregnant, my doctor encouraged me to exercise in order to be healthier, have a healthier baby, and be in better shape for the labor and delivery.

gamc30909
gamc30909 01/05/09 - 08:32 am
PT women stop whinning about

PT women stop whinning about being with child. Hell back when most of us were born, if mom were a farm woman they worked the field went to the house and had the baby. Tomorrow they were back working again. Child Birth is nothing new, only pampered for those that say look at me, I am a fat lazy azz gal with child I cant walk, I need to waddle up to the door and set and use one of those powerwheel things.

local girl
local girl 01/05/09 - 08:33 am
Stop running from the law and

Stop running from the law and you will not be shot.I have never understood why anyone would fight the police.you will get your say later and you will still be alive

wise ole man
wise ole man 01/05/09 - 08:35 am
TO those commenting about how

TO those commenting about how good Elmore was and what a great role model- take at look at his life. Do you really want your child growing up to be a drug dealer? There are 2 sides to every story and on the other side of ELmore getting shot are the 2 policemen who risked their lives to ensure the safety of those who give them no respect. He is dead-the world is a better place. Maybe his illigitement children can find some other role model to conform to- one that takes responsibility for what they do and pays their way through life without taking advantage of the taxpayers of Richmond County. There are plenty of successful law abiding black men who are doing something to improve theie community and they do not carry guns. They have J-O-B-S.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...