News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

MY WIFE CALLED a doctor's office to check on a payment. When she did, the receptionist closed her account and wrote off a $620 balance. After doing this , she said "Merry Christmas" and do something good for someone else. That's the Christmas SPIRIT !!!

IF SMOKING IS YOUR right and privilege, why do you smokers keep throwing your butts out of your car instead of keeping it in the ashtray? Isn't this littering?

A RAVE FOR ALL the Salvation Army bell-ringers who help me teach my 3-year-old daughter about the goodness of giving. She now tells me to put my pocket change in the bucket instead of her piggy bank, because "I'm already lucky!"

ON DEC. 22 MY DAUGHTER fainted in Barnes & Noble. She is fine and I would like to thank everyone who were there for her and her younger sister until help arrived.

PASTOR RICK WARREN says: "I was trying to point out I'm not opposed to gays having their partnership. I'm opposed to gays using the term marriage for their relationship." Doesn't that mean Warren favors sin as long as you call it something other than sin?

INTERESTING THAT BUSH pardoned so many crooks who were convicted for drug crimes and immigration crimes. Looks like the Mexicans continue to rule Mr. Bush.

RAVE TO TEEN BOARD member Jonathan's wonderful article about gifts.

LETTER WRITER SAYS the death penalty in modern America is "a barbarous holdover from a less civilized time." Alas, when we had the death penalty, we lived in less barbarous times. Check the stats. Besides, before roughly 1950, people weren't afraid to take evening walks on public streets near their own houses.

GEORGIA PROFESSIONAL Standards Commission is "charged with certifying the state's teachers and investigating complaints against them." Now, government claims it has more internal crime, but it can't tax enough to investigate, thus it doesn't police itself. What a racket! Their logic forecasts more corruption and less policing because it can't do its job against itself.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

cajunnana2000
cajunnana2000 01/03/09 - 03:31 am
Just something to think

Just something to think about, I can care less what anyone else does,I've been married for 42 years. Some good some bad, but I'm still here. A judge on TV this week said something that made me think. "What is this world comming to, we have straights that want to live together, have babies and not marry, and Gays that want to get married and cannot have babies.

palomino9
palomino9 01/03/09 - 04:05 am
It is documented that

It is documented that homosexual couples are more committed, and much better parents than most heterosexual couples, especially here in the south. Their children consistantly are better educated and successful than the 'mistakes' of heterosexual persons.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 01/03/09 - 04:06 am
Ranter asks: "why do you

Ranter asks: "why do you smokers keep throwing your butts out of your car instead of keeping it in the ashtray? Isn't this littering?" Yes, it is littering and I think their butts are too big for their ashtrays. And during dry times, we have the added bonus of tossed lit cigarettes causing brush fires and worse.

kat30815
kat30815 01/03/09 - 06:06 am
so how much longer till the

so how much longer till the zoophiles get their right to marry? when can they come out of the closet(or barn) and stop being discreet about their relationships? who are we to deny them their right to show their affection in public? love is love right? they can't help who they love. does it defy the laws of nature? sure.........."but their in love"

elliottness
elliottness 01/03/09 - 07:07 am
since when can receptionists

since when can receptionists write off unpaid balances?you were either overcharged to start with,or someone needs to audit this office,like yesterday! smokers throw their trash out the window, because most of them are slobs anyway.we have litter control officers here looking for people that do this.after paying a few hefty fines, they get the message.bush pardoned all those drug criminals so they can get over to afghanistan, and help get that bumper crop of heroin out,and back over here.and we all know who flies it in with no questions asked,don't we?well i'm not afraid to accuse our esteemed cia of anything.you wimps should really check out debunking 911.i am unable to put it down.the writer asks many of the questions that i do.he also noted as did i that 911 isn't mentioned on binladens fbi poster, so his staff called and spoke to a fbi spokesman.they were told it isn't mentioned because they have no "hard evidence" of his involvement.if he was the leader of al qaeda (close) and ordered these attacks,then not being on his poster means he had no involvement,and al qaeda didn't either,which means we have a cover up here,just like i said INSIDE JOB,BABY!".

kiddspur
kiddspur 01/03/09 - 07:43 am
Good morning America --

Good morning America -- Another Day Older and Deeper in Debt! Oh well that is what makes life go round or is part of it. Morning White Trash from Awguster!!!

christian134
christian134 01/03/09 - 07:56 am
Good morning everyone...Be

Good morning everyone...Be care today...:-)

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/03/09 - 08:03 am
palomina9, your spots are

palomina9, your spots are showing. The gay agenda is well known. Thanks for sharing.

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 01/03/09 - 08:13 am
PAL 9, What in the world are

PAL 9, What in the world are you talking about? I really would like to know when and who conducted this survey or research?

RocknRoll
RocknRoll 01/03/09 - 08:13 am
To Elliot... My apologies..it

To Elliot... My apologies..it was not a receptionist, but a Dr.s representive...Most will get the gist. As for you,u sound like you're in a goo0d mood today.. if not, have a good day.

momofthree
momofthree 01/03/09 - 08:30 am
Oh boy a little controversy

Oh boy a little controversy this morning. First I have to say that people are people, it does not matter who they love. I am so sick of gay bashing and the hatred that so many show. I have said it before and I will gladly repeat myself, if you substitute "gay" with: Black or Jew you are biggoted, and discrimanatory. So why because some people love others of the same sex is it ok to be so crule and hateful? I just don't get it. I will turn my back on someone for gay bashing just as fast as I will if they are racist.

dale88fan
dale88fan 01/03/09 - 08:31 am
hey palomino9 == the only

hey palomino9 == the only reason for that is these people are probably related to each other. I thought a duck was a duck and a fa& is a fa&!

gamc30909
gamc30909 01/03/09 - 09:11 am
Gays should be hated and

Gays should be hated and Killed according to the Bible. If you are truly Christian how can you like them, or are you one of the people that does the bible like a lot of other things. You cut and paste where it fits what you believe.

KMAAC
KMAAC 01/03/09 - 09:25 am
Don't worry about gays. AIDS

Don't worry about gays. AIDS is a cure - not a disease.

icanusethat
icanusethat 01/03/09 - 09:33 am
rant to the fools who paying

rant to the fools who paying people to steal all this copper..they need police at these places of business around the clock...these fools are ripping out walls now outta houses.police get on your job and stop this madness..i got my shotgun ready

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 01/03/09 - 09:34 am
I don't get it. If you have

I don't get it. If you have an opinion that differs from others it's bashing?????Guess we all better be more understanding & tolerant. Well, the gays have certainly set a good example in California about tolerance. You should see some of the things these future wonderful parents have said about others since Prop 8.....

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 01/03/09 - 09:36 am
Tolerance is what everyone

Tolerance is what everyone else should have regarding our causes. Common sense is why we don't agree with their causes.

BamaMan
BamaMan 01/03/09 - 09:48 am
Where is this Pastor Rick

Where is this Pastor Rick Warren. I think he needs to read his Bible again about homosexuals. Rant on the entry that homosexuals are to be hated. We are to love them, but we aren't to condone their lifestyle. The Bible says "homosexuals will not enter the kingdom of Heaven". God loves ALL of us as our Father. But He hates some of our ways.

Double D
Double D 01/03/09 - 09:49 am
My mother used to be a

My mother used to be a receptionist at a Dr. office. She worked side-by-side with the doctor's wife who maintained the books and also answered calls. Second, I really want a good future for my son and for him to be successful. I guess I should've been gay and had a same sex marriage so my son will be raised better. Yeah, that's a sure fire way for him to understand his role in a household and to see how a man and woman interract and how they overcome their differences and other obstacles. Only a man can teach a boy to be a man. Two women may do some butch things, but cannot 100% be a male role model to a boy. In the Army we get these fem boys they are all prissy, then you do their data sheet and see that they've never had a father.

1941
1941 01/03/09 - 09:53 am
Why is it, that people are so

Why is it, that people are so worried about the gay population? First off it is none of your buisness what they do behind closed doors.Why are so called christians the first one to point out what God said, when it is about gays? It is really sick to worry about some ones else sex life, that is all it is really about. Most people would not know a gay person, if he was sitting next to him, or if it was his own son or daughter.Dont you people have a life? You must dont, if all you have to do is worry about someone else sex life.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 01/03/09 - 09:57 am
I must dont

I must dont

Double D
Double D 01/03/09 - 09:59 am

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,475505,00.html Amazing! White kid shot by police and his family and friends aren't burning down the neighborhood or throwing stones.

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 01/03/09 - 10:01 am
Gays can do what they want.

Gays can do what they want. Live and let live. But, I've yet to meet a monogamous gay man, or a monogamous hetero man for that matter. They are all full of baloney. No pun intended. So most men make lousy parents. How's that for cynical?

momofthree
momofthree 01/03/09 - 10:03 am
Gmac it is bashing, cruelty

Gmac it is bashing, cruelty to another human being is bashing. I don't cut and paste what is convienient to me as I see fit, and how dare you call into question my religious beliefs. I was raised that God was all loving and all forgiving. All as in EVERYONE. God created all people, and as a result all people are created in the image of God. Even you. Me too. ---------Now it is time for all the holy rollers and Bible thumpers to stop claiming to be so holier than thou. If you truly and honestly were Christian in your heart you would remember "Judge not, lest ye be judged." It is not for you to judge your brothers and your sisters but it is for you to love them as you have been loved. Let God do his job, He has done it for millenia without your help, I do believe he can continue without any input from you. So cut and paste that.

momofthree
momofthree 01/03/09 - 10:05 am
Sorry Gmac this was meant for

Sorry Gmac this was meant for I4PUTT, I cant write here what I think of what you said, besides it wouldn't be very Christian of me to anyway. Oh yeah, because I hold no predjuices against my fellow man I am not Christian, I forgot.

momofthree
momofthree 01/03/09 - 10:07 am
Thanks DoubleD (8:59am post)

Thanks DoubleD (8:59am post) it actually looked like we were going to get through our coffee without digging up ancient history. Let it drop would you.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 01/03/09 - 10:08 am
Don't you just love it when

Don't you just love it when judgemental folks resort to scripture reciting about judge not...makes every thing they say seem so intelligent and profound

HYPOCRITES 08
HYPOCRITES 08 01/03/09 - 10:10 am
Guess what, Black kid shot by

Guess what, Black kid shot by the police and his family and friends are not burning down the neighborhood or throwing stones. Guess what. People are shot every day by the police and I do not burn down neighborhoods nor throw stones. I guess that since the Chronicle did not print anything similar, you decided to try and get something started?

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 01/03/09 - 10:13 am
Hypo, good morning...some

Hypo, good morning...some days it's like shooting fish in a barrell, ain't it

momofthree
momofthree 01/03/09 - 10:16 am
I wasn't the one judging.

I wasn't the one judging. Just "cutting and pasting" since you said that is what I do. Not my words............His.

Property tax jump OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.